HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade Price!

Old
05-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Montrealer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsn View Post
So when I'm 27 and still suck, what's the excuse going to be then?
Why don't you tell us?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:27 PM
GNick42

Price was rattled at times this playoff year. Hope he doesn't ask to be traded

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
You are a joke if you really think that

Getzlaf over Crosby
Well I guess I just like 6"3 PF players who put up a PPG at 22 years old and have great hands and play physical and are mean. Like come on man. Its personal preference. Im a joke cause id rather have a player that could fight back against a team like Philly and battle and get in front of the net and will just bring everything.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Mr. Hab

Have faith (I do).

Do some of you guys/girls still want GILBERT BRULE? (and Brule can still become a good player).

Getzlaf and other players (let it go!, even if it's just hypothetical/fantasy talk).

I said/wrote it before, I'll say/write it again...

Carey Price could have been chosen 2nd overall in 2005 (glad Gainey/Timmins chose him with the 5th pick).

20 year-old goalies are allowed to be inconsistent in their first playoff experiences (he won a Round vs Bruins with 2 shutouts, and he can learn from the Philly series and also quickly turn the page 'cause that wasn't the REAL Price out there).

We are lucky to have Carey Price wearing the CH. (hopefully for the next 15+ years).

He won whe WJC gold medal + Calder Cup, and all at...19.
At 20, he did well (most of the time) during the season, and did well VS the Bruins (most of the time! + had 2 shutouts), BUT/and was far from himself VS the Flyers, but that's ok...let the kid have his experience (to be a winner you have to accept some losses, and accept it with dignity, not like a sore loser, it will be Price's turn one day to win, and to win it all, hopefully some ignorant HAB fans won't chase him out of this city before he has a chance to win it all). He'll be stronger next year, and the year after, and so on and on...he's still going to be a young goalie in 3-4 years.

Price is our franchise goalie. He will win it all one day, just have faith in Pricey.
Give him some time for crying out loud.

p.s.: also...I just heard Koivu on Pulse/CTV sports say "Price will win a Stanley Cup one day, for sure..." (I feel the same way).

Just my opinion, but the ones who want to trade Price shouldn't come here to celebrate when Price does well (only to come here and write "I always knew he was good!!").

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:47 PM
ToysInTheAttic

No, we don't trade Price. As disappointing as the elimination in round 2 was, at least now there will be no more ridiculous expectations and he will be able to continue his development without feeling that he has to be the best in the business at 20 years old.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:04 AM
belavia

Price needs a tape of the game so he can learn how to goaltend in the playoffs.
And we need a tape of it so we can stop making excuses for him - 'oh, he couldn't see the puck.'
Bottom line is he cost us the series.

belavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by belavia View Post
And we need a tape of it so we can stop making excuses for him - 'oh, he couldn't see the puck.'
Price was definitely rattled VS Philly. But, it's hard to point the finger at a 20 year-old. Do you want to destroy him? Yes, he was letting in VERY soft goals. 4 here, 5 there, 3 goals in 3 minutes, etc... All that said/written...he was and still is our FRANCHISE goalie. Even though he was somewhat inconsistent VS Bruins he was overall good (2 shutouts in one series is not a bad thing for a 20year-old). I was upset, too, but we have the best, most talented, young goalie in the world who happens to be 20, he was allowed to be inconsistent vs Philly. Let him bloom at his own pace. If he'll be more ready at 23 or 24, then so be it. I'll still be a huuuuuuuuuuge Price fan. I'm just gald Theo is not there anymore, or Thibault! I've been waiting for a Carey Price ever since we made the huge mistake of trading Roy.

Give him time (gosh! he will still be a young goalie in 3-4 years, yet everyone expects the world...NOW!). I was very disappointed with Price's performance vs Philly, BUT, I'm a Price fan (win or lose, unless he loses for 10 years+ , which is VERY, VERY, VERY unlikely...Price is quite probably the most talented goalie with the most potential to come to the NHL since Brodeur, imo). I'm not being cocky, I'm just excited for our Price (I've seen more than enough to know that sky is the limit for Price, and I've also seen that he can be human vs Philly, it's our turn to be human towards Price, show some loyalty, you will be rewarded). Price wants nothing but to win, you can see it (his preformance vs Philly hurts him BIG TIME, you an see it in his face/eyes). He WILL bounce back from this, the only way he can go from here (with his abundance of talent) is UP.

Promise me or someone else this...

IF Price ever becomes one of the best goalies in the NHL (imo, he will), and also wins the CUP(s) one day, you won't come here to say "I knew he was a great goalie, I knew it...I never ever blamed him, I always knew he was a winner!"

Have faith in Price (show some loyalty). He's a winner who just needs time to prove it (winning consistently). When he will find a way to be stronger, more consistent mentally...watch out! The sky is the limit for our Price.

(no hard feelings).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-05-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by belavia View Post
Wow... what an expert insight you have on Carey Price.

I can see right now that being 12 yrs old and playing with your mommy's puter is a bad thing for you.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Carey says he's not going to look at his goaltending equipement for three months...

Like many others, seeing Price drop 6 OF HIS LAST 7 starts goes beyond disappointment... Letting in 5 goals a game, spotting the other team 2 goal leads, allowing 4 goals a period, allowing 3 goals in three minutes...

Sure its a team game, but one could even go so far as to say that he's been a bad goaltender.

He was advertised as mentally tough when he is in fact mentally weak.

Price played badly in his first playoffs (excluding game 7) and this fact will never be forgotten. In future playoff years the media and fans will never forget how he can crack under pressure and just give up when a game gets tough.

He now has a new rep... and its not a good one.

Anyway, now he has all summer to play his video games

I can't believe the garbage I'm actually reading right now in regards to this post and some replies in this thread.I honestly think analytical skills and some thought are unknown here.

Professional athletes are improving based on their experience.The more experience they accumulate earlier,they'll improve on a faster rate.Price has the intangibles and the abilities to become a legit star goaltender IMO...not having a remarkable playoff run doesn't indicate that he's a bum and choker....

Im really getting sick of all those little hypocrites who have waited for this golden opportunity to bash Price.
Ridiculous.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:50 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I don't know.. I'll take a big, rugged centre who will dig, go to the front of the net, score 70-80 pts per year, and be responsible defensively.

He costs about $3.5M less per season (and will make a lot less after both their contracts expire).

Getzlaf would just fit with our team better than Crosby.
Yeah I guess the 220 pts Crosby scored before Getzlaf stepped on NHL ice as to do with something.

And please, salary? who cares about the salary of a generational player?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:51 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
With the whole city and Habs nation watching he gives up 3 goals in 3 minutes to blow a very precious 3-1 lead, making Umberger look better than Lemieux or Gretzky or Ovechkin.

What pro goalie does that?

That is not normal.

Price cracked and Habs are out.
With Umberger being their best player you have to question why he was allowed to do whatever he wanted at will while the Flyers had two players on Kovy whenever he was on the ice. I'm not saying Price is blameless but Umberger looked good because he was able to shot at the net and our best players were contained. Too much emphasis is on Price and not enough on the Habs not finding a way to win. Not enough guys ready to take a beating in front of the net on the other end that lost us games 2-5.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Of course Im only kidding! But admit it, some of you were ready to explode

I cant wait to look back at this season/playoffs 5-10 years down the road when Price is at his peak. As bad as he feels now, he'll see this year as a learning experience from which he only improved upon. To say he was able to become a #1 NHL goaltender for half a season at the age of 20 is an amzaing accomplishment and can only be beneficial to his development for years to come. A first step for a future star in the making.

Go Carey!

Looking forward to next year.

Carey is not the issue...it's the genius trade by Gainey that sent their only veteran goalie to a conference rival...simple as that. If you have Huet you can protect carey a lot more when he starts to struggle.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
With Umberger being their best player you have to question why he was allowed to do whatever he wanted at will while the Flyers had two players on Kovy whenever he was on the ice. I'm not saying Price is blameless but Umberger looked good because he was able to shot at the net and our best players were contained. Too much emphasis is on Price and not enough on the Habs not finding a way to win. Not enough guys ready to take a beating in front of the net on the other end that lost us games 2-5.
Our best players took low percentage shots like Umburger did all series, but theirs did not go in. You' are making it sound like he got all these great opportunities.

Have a look at all the goals that series, 2/3 of them were bad goals by our goalies or fluke goals.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:51 AM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Carey is not the issue...it's the genius trade by Gainey that sent their only veteran goalie to a conference rival...simple as that. If you have Huet you can protect carey a lot more when he starts to struggle.

no protection was the idea, for price and for carbo and the coaching staff who are fairly inexperienced in their own right. gainey HAD TO remove the crutch and throw them all right into the pressure. if huet was roy then you keep him. but they evaluated huet on whether he could take them to the cup or not and ultimately decided that he could not. the teams goals are longer term and winning a cup was not in the cards this year so why not allow everyone to gain some experience.

if huet was still with the habs then carbo would have likely went right to him early in the boston series and price wouldn't have been able to gain the experience of battling back in that series and the valuable experience vs the flyers.

even getting spanked in a series is of more value than sitting on the bench watching huet get spanked. this experience was also good for some of the young players who will be our playoff vets in a couple years, mentoring more of the younger ones.

carbo and the coaching staff will also have as much to learn as price and the young players do from these games. hopefully they are able to adapt as well as i am sure price will be able to.

Last edited by gee: 05-05-2008 at 07:56 AM.
gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Our best players took low percentage shots like Umburger did all series, but theirs did not go in. You' are making it sound like he got all these great opportunities.

Have a look at all the goals that series, 2/3 of them were bad goals by our goalies or fluke goals.
And Umbergers other 6 goals were what then? If he scored 2-3 lucky goals then his others were earned?

You are making it sound like he shot 9 times and sacored every time.

My point is that their best players were allowed to do what they wanted.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Yeah I guess the 220 pts Crosby scored before Getzlaf stepped on NHL ice as to do with something.

And please, salary? who cares about the salary of a generational player?
Agreed, I had to reread the posts to be sure I was seeing clearly.

Even if I liked Getzlaf more I would take Crosby for the simple fact I could trade him for more than Getzlaf. But really, I would take Crosby because he's one of the most complete(if not he most) players in the league. The difference in size and "meannes" simply doesn't make up for the whole package Crosby brings.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:35 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I was literally seconds away from flaming this thread LOL

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:22 PM
ksargent

I really don't understand why so many people are questioning the long term impact on Price as a result of the Philly series. Seems far too many people have short memories, how Price played incredible during the stretch run (since trade deadline when he was annointed #1) right through the Bruins series, except for game 5 & 6. Even so, he had two SO's in that series, which is quite remarkable, given the Bruins' weak offense or not.

And though Price's numbers against Philly are not pretty, I really do believe he was the victim of incredible good fortunes on Philly's part. I mean, how many crazy deflections, off-the-post shots and other nonsense did Philly score through the series? I am not saying he is completely innocent - he did let in some weak goals too - but the crazy bounces made it look far worse than his performance really was.

I mean, to think about it, if the Habs buried one or two more chances, OR if Carey made 1 or two more saves, OR is Biron made one or two less saves, the series would have been completely different that they would likely be playing game 7 tomorrow. It really was that close. Bad breaks happen sometimes, and kudos to Philadelphia for making the most of it.

With regards to the idea of trading Price for a star forward, etc... I wouldn't consider it for a second. Star goaltender > star forward, hands down, no matter who.

Finally, about the Huet trade. Though it was a very unpopular move at the time (and again NOW), this was clearly Gainey strategic move for the long term. The way I see it, is not that Gainey was "throwing in the towel", but I do agree with the notion that he was challenging Price, knowing this is what he responds to. And he was exactly right, as demonstrated by the stretch run. The other unknown that most people seem to overlook is Halak. I am sure he was not real thrilled to be staying in Hamilton as much as he had, and this was just as much a "keep the peace" move to keep Halak around for at least a year or two before he expects to be #1 somewhere himself. Anyway, it was clear Huet wouldn't be back after this year with the arrival of Price. Therefore, trading Huet accomplished three objectives at once: 1) Show confidence in Price and he gains valuable playoff experience, 2) Make Halak happy with a permanent job in the NHL, even if it is mostly on the bend, and 3) get *something* for Huet while he can, as little as it may appear.

The way I see it, Gainey's plan is to make a serious run NEXT year, and whatever happened this year was purely a bonus. In that light, trading Huet giving Carey full control is probably the best character-building he move he could have done.

The ultimate irony, IMHO, is a month ago is that many people figured Boston (and later Philly) were the most favorable matchups Montreal could have dreamed for, in terms of winnability. As it clearly turned out, they were both much biggers struggles than they should have been on paper, but having faced this they will definitely be stronger for it next year. Therefore, upon further reflection after elimination, it STILL seems they were ideal matchups, only for a completely DIFFERENT reason.

In any case, it all adds up to a very bright future going forward.

(Is it October yet...?)

Cheers to a fine season.

ksargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
markyboy20

OK trade Price, but he will kill Montreal any game he'll play against and he will be the best goalie in NHL for 10 years afetr the Brodeur era, but....oh....euh....not playing for Montreal....boooooooooohhhhhh!!!

No joke, Gainey's not gonna tade Carey because he is about to become the franchise player in MTL and he is the kind of goalie that he can play 75-80 games in a season and be in shape for the playoffs. When have you seen any goalie with that potential, that caracter, that calm since the first years of Martin Brodeur?

markyboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfarmxxx View Post
OK trade Price, but he will kill Montreal any game he'll play against and he will be the best goalie in NHL for 10 years afetr the Brodeur era, but....oh....euh....not playing for Montreal....boooooooooohhhhhh!!!

No joke, Gainey's not gonna tade Carey because he is about to become the franchise player in MTL and he is the kind of goalie that he can play 75-80 games in a season and be in shape for the playoffs. When have you seen any goalie with that potential, that caracter, that calm since the first years of Martin Brodeur?
You really need to read the whole thread; not just the thread title.... seriously.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Puckhead58*

There is absolutely no reason to trade Price right now. He is a 20 year old rookie who made mistakes in the playoffs and now it is up to him to correct those mistakes and bounce back. We have Halak to push Carey into being the best he can next season. Like I said before....competition between goalies is always a good thing, or at least it should be a good thing. They will both play at the top of their game in order to try and earn the #1 job.

The season is over for the Habs and now its time to go back and look at what went wrong as a team and for each individual player. Give Price some slack and give him the chance to learn from his mistakes before we trade him away.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:45 AM
suprez

If we could get something big for Price go for it.Price he's not immune because he's suppossely the future best goalie in the NHL.

I would trade him any day for a proven NHL STARS.Carey haven't proved anything so far.He's only 20 . But no one can predict the future .Maybe he will play for the AHL .No one know

Ovechkin, Phaneuf , Crosby , Malkin got much more value than Carey Price . Because they are proved player.Ribeiro when he left Montreal he was not marqued has a future 10 TOP.Yet he finished 10 or so and he's now one of the best Foward in the NHl.
But that only 1 season. NBo one know either if next years he will finish with 50 pts.

If you think that CAREY price can't be traded.I hope you will never be my GM.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Ishmael

The thought of trading Price is ludicrous. He's a fantastic goalie, and with him we're set in net for the foreseeable future.

That being said, his comments in the TSN story are interesting. If he really was getting burned out (which I'm not criticizing at all, it's been an incredibly intense 2 years for him), then the coaches should have been able to tell, and they should have kept playing Halak. They could have done it without damaging Price's confidence.

Halak has to be frustrated. He played really well in that game, and has been doing everything anyone could ask him for. Here was a potential opportunity to let him prove something, and he missed out again.

And most importantly, the team would have had a better chance of winning with him in the net, IMO.

The future is bright - I think if I were Gainey, I'd just be looking to upgrade Ryder and resign Streit (at a reasonable price) and tweak the utility players a bit. We have some cap room going forward, and I'd be quite happy to see this team continue to grow into it, rather than offering someone a big contract and forcing hard decisions in a couple of years. I almost can't wait until next season already!

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote