HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

François Gagnon's last article

Old
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
François Gagnon's last article

He cites that Koivu and Kovalev are not able to share the same locker room. He cites that Kovalev was weaker when Koivu came, and that he was getting away from the other players after he had to give the "C" up.

I know this is probably all bullcrap, but who would you choose between those two?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Turbo

Kovalev was pretty weak for several games before Koivu came back in Game 6.

Their play on the ice didn't look like players that didn't like each other either.

But anyway, who cares even if it's true. Good teams always have a little friction in the dressing room. It's often said that teams where the players are too chummy don't end up being as successful - maybe it's that the criticisms are not forthcoming enough to drive progress and improvement in those circumstances, I don't know.

What's important I think is that players go to war for each other when on the ice. I think the team did that this year.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Eband00

complete ********. Common, it is clear that those two guys, they dont hate each other. They might be neutral.. but damn. What a **** disturber this gagnon

Eband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Travis Moen

As you mentioned, it's probably bs, but I would back Koivu without hesitation.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I do think these 2 don't like each other.It's like if Kovy doesn't try when playing with Saku.Anyways im happy Koivu came back cause we would have probably lost to the Bruins if he didn't

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Lucius

Seriously, Kovalev had what amounted to 3 or 4 bad games and suddenly this means he and Koivu hate each other and the dressing room is split?

People are lunatics.

Kovalev wasn't pouting because the C was "taken away" from him. There is no logical way he didn't see it coming since it was never really "given to him" anyway.

If this is true, the two should both be traded for being 4 year olds. Luckily, it's Gagnon making things up.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Iwishihadacup

Koivu, nobody else

Kovalev can go eat crow somewhere else than our team if he does not want to play with one great finnish

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...0/CPACTUALITES

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:05 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

I like both players, but would we be able to have the same season we just had without Kovalev and with Koivu? Not sure about it... Plus the fact that when a player is the best scorer on your team in the season AND in the playoffs, it means he's important a way or another.

Kovalev is being paid to be our 2nd best forward. He's been arguably and statistically our best in the three last playoffs, plus in two of the three last seasons.

Like it or not, he's more important than Koivu to the success of this team, and as much as I love Koivu, I know that alone, that guy just can't lead his team to the playoffs the way Kovalev did it this year.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:06 AM
mtl_felix

There we go, back to typical offseason bullcrap.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:07 AM
anarmandaleb

Can we trade Gagnon to Philadelphia?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:07 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
More useless stirring of the pot. I would be very surprised if there was any real anomocity between Koivu and Kovalev.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:16 AM
mcphee

Jean Beliveau used to pack a sandwich and read a book on long train rides, wasn't really one of 'the boys'.

I wonder if he and Doug Harvey had any problems ? I wonder if the Rocket liked Tom Johnson ? I wonder if many of the 70's Habs found Ken Dyden distant and difficult to relate to ?

I wonder if it mattered ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:16 AM
HomaridII

I saw this a few weeks ago also being discussed on 110% and I honestly think that while Koivu is not disliked, he doesn't fit in with the rest of the team. JMO.

I had no clue this was the case until I went to a game in March and the Get to know your Habs question in the second period was Who don't you want to room with on the road? Most of the guys said Koivu, with Higgins saying Koivu had his own room on the road because nobody wanted to room with him. They were saying it in a joking manner, citing that Koivu is very neat and Ryder said he goes to sleep very early (10pm he said) on non-game nights, etc..

I know its a dumb question, but it was a little detail that got me thinking. Does Koivu really fit with the team? Most of the young players (The Kostitsyns, Grabs, Plekanec) look up to Kovy and guys like Lapierre, Latendresse, etc.. aren't Koivu followers either.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:19 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I saw this a few weeks ago also being discussed on 110% and I honestly think that while Koivu is not disliked, he doesn't fit in with the rest of the team. JMO.

I had no clue this was the case until I went to a game in March and the Get to know your Habs question in the second period was Who don't you want to room with on the road? Most of the guys said Koivu, with Higgins saying Koivu had his own room on the road because nobody wanted to room with him. They were saying it in a joking manner, citing that Koivu is very neat and Ryder said he goes to sleep very early (10pm he said) on non-game nights, etc..

I know its a dumb question, but it was a little detail that got me thinking. Does Koivu really fit with the team? Most of the young players (The Kostitsyns, Grabs, Plekanec) look up to Kovy and guys like Lapierre, Latendresse, etc.. aren't Koivu followers either.
Maybe it's that Koivu's a married grownup who likes to get enough sleep and the youngins like to go out and party and have fun and have lots of sex with lots of road puckbunnies.
Seriously. Those little videos are done by the PR team and they wouldn't have used it if it had any negative implications.
PS I saw that video. Most of them said they didn't want to room with the goalies cause the goalies were crazy.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
habfan4

So because François Gagnon hasn't witnessed Koivu and Kovalev going for a manicure and a pedicure together the dressing room is divided, sounds perfectly plausible.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

While it isnt a great article per se, maybe some of you should go read it before saying it's BS.

1. First off, he DOESNT say the dislike eachothers.

It would make sense anyway for one of them to go, especially if we sign a "top" forward UFA. If not well! the team stays the same.

sign a top C and Koivu becomes a 3rd line C, way too pricey. if we get a "top" winger, either A.K. or Kovalev himself gets demoted, doesnt make sense either...

getting a "top" forward pretty much guarantee (barring injuries) Latendresse and S. Kostistyn will spend the season with the Habs as 3rd of 4th liners... unless one of Kovalev or Koivu gets traded.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
I think it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that Saku is 32 years old, and a big percentage of this team is 26 and younger. Aside from hockey, they probably just don't have a whole lot in common. The older guys- Saku, Breezer, Smolinski, Kovy- also have families, and probably want to spend time with their kids when they're home, rather than going clubbing or to the movies or whatever. I don't think it means that they don't get along, necessarily, or even that the guys don't look up to Saku. I've heard Komi say more than once that they all do.

Add in the fact that these guys are from all over the world and have several different first languages, with varying degrees of comfort with English, and it doesn't surprise me that some of them seem more comfortable with certain teammates than others. I don't really get a vibe from any of them that they *dislike* each other.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:33 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Francois Gagnon.

Lover of everything Senators.

'nuff said.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:33 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I think it's very possible, maybe even likely that socially, Koivu isn't the guy that things revolve around. I think it's possible that he feels little in common with a lot of his teammates. I don't think this is rare though, surprising or anything else.

I remember reading something Brett Favre said about his last 4-5 years. After practice, he didn't have any 'buddies' left on the team, the old guys had left, the young guys were into things he wasn't. No question about the work ethic and field generalship though.

Teams, good teams have different levels of leadership. You have veteran example, you have a solid youthful core, you have the guys that are fun, that things revolve around on the road.

What's different now from the teams that I grew up with, is the ethnic mix. It leads to a little less structure I would think, esp. socially.

I think that it's important to remember is that the writer in question has a sour taste in his mouth with Kovalev. Halfway thru the season, he was speculating that now was the time to trade Kovy as his value was high. The missing tape saga made an enemey of Gagnon, and I suspect that he was/is waiting for his chance.

Old
05-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

why are you all so opposed to that idea?

After a dominating year, he fades away into the background? Why after 3 years do they ever put them together on a line?

Im not saying its a big deal, but where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Some of you seem like children in denial.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:36 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I think it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that Saku is 32 years old, and a big percentage of this team is 26 and younger. Aside from hockey, they probably just don't have a whole lot in common. The older guys- Saku, Breezer, Smolinski, Kovy- also have families, and probably want to spend time with their kids when they're home, rather than going clubbing or to the movies or whatever. I don't think it means that they don't get along, necessarily, or even that the guys don't look up to Saku. I've heard Komi say more than once that they all do.

Add in the fact that these guys are from all over the world and have several different first languages, with varying degrees of comfort with English, and it doesn't surprise me that some of them seem more comfortable with certain teammates than others. I don't really get a vibe from any of them that they *dislike* each other.
Bang on. If a bunch of posters meet, include yourself, I'd be there, there'd be a few rounds of drinks, maybe we'd all watch a game, then at a point someone suggests we move the party to......

That's when I bow out, it's been fun but there's a point where it's not my scene, and the old guys go to bed to let the kids have their fun. I just don't see Saku going 'yo, brothers K, I know a place that's.....'

Old
05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

After a dominating year, he fades away into the background? Why after 3 years do they ever put them together on a line?

Hard to argue with the where there's smoke there's usually fire cliché. Why spilt up two offensive players? Balanced scoring perhaps?

Now where's my pacifier.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:41 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

Thing is, since the tape saga, Gagnon always find reasons to bash and/or discredit Kovalev... perfect example in this article is saying Koivu was a beast in the PO while Kovalev wasnt, but thinking Habs should trade Kovalev (market value)...

The part that is interesting in this article, enough to debate IMO, is simple : as a DUO, are they solid enough to bring us a Cup ? (considering they are to go to guys).

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:42 AM
AH

Last season, I was a on a flight from Toronto to Tampa to visit my sister and he was on the same flight sitting two seats over going to Tampa as well (Habs were playing the next night in Tampa).

I should have punched him then ...

AH is offline   Reply With Quote