HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Time for new skates?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2008, 02:28 PM
  #1
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow
 
SeanL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Time for new skates?

Hey guys, kinda new around here. I guess ill start off with some info about me then i was hoping some of you could help me figure out what to change. I've played all my life, i play college club level and in men's leagues, i'm 19, 6'0" 240 and play Defense. I just got too S17 sticks, 100 flex iginla blades that i am really excited to play with next week.

So here is my question, i wear a size 13 shoe and try to stay with an 11.5 skate but its hard to find a skate that fits my large feet. I've been using the same Bauer Vapor VI skates for about 4 years, i dont think they even make em anymore. Ok now to injuries, i have shin splints and a lack of cartilage in my right knee, i dont know how much the skate can help that.

Can anyone recommend a skate that will provide me with some ankle support, power to continue to be a defensive enforcer, and that wont be too difficult to break in (i have to start playing again real soon).


Thank you

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:35 PM
  #2
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Im the same size in shoe except i wear a 10.5 in CCM vector skates.
you're wearing the right size except that it depends on the manufacturer that youre wearing. i dont like wearing Bauers because i find their skates are a little more narrow than the other brands, and RBK/CCM are wider. but with the best 'fitting' would be Graf skates because they basically mold to your feet and feel like youve worn them for a hundred years.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:35 PM
  #3
SiouxPride
Registered User
 
SiouxPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: WINNIPEG!
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Im the same size in shoe except i wear a 10.5 in CCM vector skates.
you're wearing the right size except that it depends on the manufacturer that youre wearing. i dont like wearing Bauers because i find their skates are a little more narrow than the other brands, and RBK/CCM are wider. but with the best 'fitting' would be Graf skates because they basically mold to your feet and feel like youve worn them for a hundred years.
Your correct. I have CCM Tacks, for ice, i usally like them 1 size to 1.5 sizes smaller then my acutlly shoe size ( but thats just me ), for inline hockey i have ccm vectors, i have it 2 sizes smaller then my shoe size, and they fit perfect, Im not too familiar with Vapors, as i have a pair, but there my back up and i never rlly use them, hope it helps i geuss?

But it dosnet hurt to just ask around your local hockey shop.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:59 PM
  #4
slapsh0t77
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
The new CCM Vector U+ skate actually does mold to your feet if they are baked correctly. I just got mine...i love them.

slapsh0t77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:14 PM
  #5
MG91
Registered User
 
MG91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,873
vCash: 500
get some s-17's to match the sticks


they are amazingly light, and would mold to your feet in a second causing little to no break in time

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM
  #6
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Surprised no one has told him to stick with what works. Why not try the new Vapor xxxx's...or one of the other model Vapor's?

I don't agree that Graf's would be the best fit. Depending on the model they may, but it not an automatic.

Most skates are heat moldable these days, so don't base it off that.

Try on a bunch of different skates and see what fits the best. Your size will vary from from skate to skate. Some run about 1.5 sizes smaller, some are a full 2.

If any of that helps you owe me one free entry into the offensive zone.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
  #7
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Go for rbk's. Either the 5,7 or 9k. Higher the number, the greater the support. You don't even have to bake these. They're game ready...just sharpen and go. The Vapors you are wearing don't have the support you need. If you're going to stick with hockey, I'd say spend less on the sticks and more on the skates. Your knees, hips and groin will thank you down the road.

Sise to a size and a half lower than your shoe size.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:20 AM
  #8
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaal View Post
get some s-17's to match the sticks


they are amazingly light, and would mold to your feet in a second causing little to no break in time


Garbage...lightest skate by far but zero durability. Every pair I've sold has been returned. They are amazingly light and amazingly defective. Beware

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:08 AM
  #9
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Surprised no one has told him to stick with what works. Why not try the new Vapor xxxx's...or one of the other model Vapor's?

I don't agree that Graf's would be the best fit. Depending on the model they may, but it not an automatic.

Most skates are heat moldable these days, so don't base it off that.

Try on a bunch of different skates and see what fits the best. Your size will vary from from skate to skate. Some run about 1.5 sizes smaller, some are a full 2.

If any of that helps you owe me one free entry into the offensive zone.
Grafs can be wore by people with narrow or wider feet and still be 'comfortable'. unlike Bauers which ive noticed are more narrow than RBK/CCM. just depends on the model. the best grafs i wore honestly were the 502's the bottom model. were lighter than the 705's buddy had them and we weighed them.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
  #10
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow
 
SeanL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Thanks alot guys, I'm gonna go with the Bauer Vapor XXXX. Sticking with what I'm used to is probably the best idea. Apparently they are cut huge this year or something so my local equipment guy told me to go with 10.5? that seems nuts to me but I'll be able to try em on on Thursday or Friday.


And Stick9, what kind of enforcing D-man would I be if I was giving away free trips into my zone!

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
  #11
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLions44 View Post
Thanks alot guys, I'm gonna go with the Bauer Vapor XXXX. Sticking with what I'm used to is probably the best idea. Apparently they are cut huge this year or something so my local equipment guy told me to go with 10.5? that seems nuts to me but I'll be able to try em on on Thursday or Friday.


And Stick9, what kind of enforcing D-man would I be if I was giving away free trips into my zone!
One with nice new skates....

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.