HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinion: What were Carbo's biggest mistakes?

Old
05-05-2008, 12:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Ah crap, I entertained a Flyer fan. Son of a.....
I was taking a sip of my gatorade and nearly spit it out all over the computer screen. LOL.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
yep they sure beat the Habs the same way for 4 games.
Yep they kept hoping the posts would save their ass.
Yep they kept hoping Umberger would save their ass.
Yep they kept hoping Biron would save their ass.
Yep they kept hoping the wide open nets would save their ass.
Keep telling that to yourself dude, you might wake up with an imaginary stanley cup beside yourself.

1st, Umberger and Biron are part of their team so I don't know what your point is...

Umberger scored a few goals on deflections, IMO that was part of Philly plan to shoot while there was a lot of trafic in front of the net.

Good goaltenders that covers well their net give shots on the posts, just ask Patrick Roy.

The fact that we kept missing open nets had a lot to do with confidence and nothing's better than try new stuff to bring the confidence level up. Keeping trying the same thing can only perpetuate the current run of bad luck.

Sorry dude, but we lost clean, good and bad bounces are part of the game, and the way they are coming have often a lot to do with the way your team is playing the game. We'll have to agree to disagree. It was more than bad luck, you don't lose four in a row because of only bad luck.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Playing Ryder/Dandy/Lats rather than Stewart or Chipchura.
****ing around with Price and Halak's minds once again.
Not sitting Streit for one game so he can get back into it.

That's basically it, otherwise, Carbo did a decent job, though it could've been better

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Habs

I think he should have used Ryder in game 4 or 5.. just because we had nothing to lose. Old Carbs really holds a grudge...

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Habitants

this is not a carbo bash, i like him.

for me the only thing i did not like was him putting the 4th line out with less than 4 minutes to play!!! OMFG! i heard the announcer say here comes lats and the 4th line and i looked at the time and said carbo *** are you doing!? and then 20second later they scored!

but he did an ok job in general, and he is still learning, he has shown good progress from last year!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:52 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
O'Byrne should've played every game.
Streit should've been pressboxed.
Dandenault should not have played at all.
Adjustments such as presence in front of the net needed to made quicker, not two games too late.
Andrei Kostitsyn never playing the RW.
Using Smolinski's line as a shutdown line.
Breaking up Smolinski's line.
I agree with the bolded.

I also think if Streit should've played it shud've been defense and Markov should've been benched. The amount of offensive zone turn overs caused by streit is like a small speck on the massive bag of defensive zone turn overs caused by Markov. I know Markov was injured, this is why he should've been sat out and Brisebois or Streit or SOMEBODY should have taken his place.

Brisebois should've played every game. Dandy should've been tried at least 1 game on D cause of markovs piss poor play.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Adam91

Off the top of my head:

- Consistently playing Dandenault
- " " Streit on the PP
- Lack of PP adjustments, c'mon it wasn't working.
- Lack of calling a timeout to settle down the team
- Not playing Ryder in the Philly series
- Taking Begin off the line with Smoke and Kosto
-

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I agree with the bolded.

I also think if Streit should've played it shud've been defense and Markov should've been benched. The amount of offensive zone turn overs caused by streit is like a small speck on the massive bag of defensive zone turn overs caused by Markov. I know Markov was injured, this is why he should've been sat out and Brisebois or Streit or SOMEBODY should have taken his place.

Brisebois should've played every game. Dandy should've been tried at least 1 game on D cause of markovs piss poor play.
I wouldn't go so far as to say Markov should have been benched, but his ice time should have been reduced and Hammer's increased at least. Same with Komisarek and Streit.

I would have gotten O'Byrne in there more. Brisebois I'm not crazy about. His turnovers killed us these playoffs... again. Not having a legit 4th d-guy really came back to hurt us as I expected (!). Gorges was a nice surprise though. Too bad we couldn't have had him and O'B on the third pairing and sat Bouillon.

Dandenault should have been benched for Lats. Ryder should have been in there more, but he did have a bad knee.

Halak never should have started that game. He was rusty. It wasn't fair to him and I really think the 'bad goals' on Price were overstated. He let in a couple bad goals, but most of them were deflections/screens. We might have won if he'd started that game and we told our D to let him see the puck and to push the guys in front to the side or tie up their sticks.

Carbo did make adjustments on the powerplay with mixed results.

Bottom line, too many injuries to key players: Markov, Koivu, Komisarek, Kovalev looked hurt, Breezy played hurt, Price's hand... and Pleks did not show up. Learning experience for others.

Hard to overcome injuries to your key players. Those are the guys who win it for you.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:04 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Ok... not to take pleasure in playing armchair coach or bashing a coaching staff in their first playoffs...

but what were some of their mistakes?
Breaking the Kovalev line, never did it all season but managed to do it in the playoffs when you need them together.

Never inserting Ryder into the line up. I think a Ryder reunion with Higgins and Koivu would have been more beneficial to the Habs instead of breaking up the top line and making two new lines. Pleks himself even stated he felt out of the play with the brothers.

Dressing Dandy for so many games in the playoffs after not dressing him for almost a month and half in the regular season.

Dressing Lats, I'm fine with that but why break up the most effective line we had in Smolinski, Kostopoulos and Begin?

Not trying to insert Grabovski and Ryder at any point in the Habs collapse against the Bruins or the whole Flyers series.

Playing Smolinski on 5-3 PP's?

Playing the checking lines of Lapierre or Smolinski in the final 2 minutes of a game when you need a goal to tie???

Never utilizing a time out that he is free to use when the other team starts to steal the momentum to calm your team or goalie down...or to take that momentum away from the Flyers/Bruins.

Dressing Streit/Brisebois is a lot of the games. Brisebois had the better playoffs out of the two which is a scary statement in itself! Sergei K could have been used on the PP along with Gorges, Hammer or Cube as well. Plus the size of O'Byrne would have been nice in the Flyers series.

He may be a coach of the year candidate, but he was out coached in the Bruins series and won because of Carey Price. The Flyers series, he out coached himself and never motivated his team to play better hockey.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:18 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Ok... not to take pleasure in playing armchair coach or bashing a coaching staff in their first playoffs...

Maybe listening to and/or reading some idiot suggestions by those of us who know more than him in the coaching field.

Last edited by shortcat1: 05-05-2008 at 04:12 PM.
shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
this is not a carbo bash, i like him.

for me the only thing i did not like was him putting the 4th line out with less than 4 minutes to play!!! OMFG! i heard the announcer say here comes lats and the 4th line and i looked at the time and said carbo *** are you doing!? and then 20second later they scored!

but he did an ok job in general, and he is still learning, he has shown good progress from last year!
Its funny, because that 4th line very nearly scored when Lats hit the crossbar.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Off the top of my head:

- Consistently playing Dandenault
- " " Streit on the PP
- Lack of PP adjustments, c'mon it wasn't working.
- Lack of calling a timeout to settle down the team
- Not playing Ryder in the Philly series
- Taking Begin off the line with Smoke and Kosto
-
I'm sick of this lack of pp adjustments. Yeah, our pp never got going against Boston, but it was performing over 20% against Philly with at least one goal in 4 of the 5 games.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Iz

I like Carbo as coach... but I find him to be very stubborn with his decisions like he wants to prove himself (or the journalists ) that he's right even when we can clearly see that he's not.

Last edited by Iz: 05-05-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Iz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You are delusional if you think Huet would have beat Boston.
Yeah he never beats Boston!

What a proposterous statement!

I'm offended!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You are delusional if you think Huet would have beat Boston.
Sorry, but that's absurd, Huet's career numbers vs Boston pwn Price's.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Kavliary2000

It took Carbo 4 games to realize the "dump and chase" on the PP wasng going to work.

If our PP was just mediocre, we would of won this series

Overall, failure to make adjustments on the PP was our downfall...

Streit was just terrible out there

Kavliary2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Guy Germaine

Can't blame Carbo what so ever. If Price was half decent, we win this series in 5 games.

I can't believe Carbo gets so much hate here , some of you speak as if you're actually in the room with him.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:11 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
Can't blame Carbo what so ever. If Price was half decent, we win this series in 5 games.

I can't believe Carbo gets so much hate here , some of you speak as if you're actually in the room with him.
Refer to my post above...

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Failing to talk Gainey out of trading Huet.

Failing to develop front-of-the-net courage needed to score goals the ugly way.

That gawd awful tie.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:23 PM
tinyzombies

There were injuries and the players did not compete. Philly also got every single bounce known to mankind. Pittsburgh or Detroit would have annhilated us anyway. It was a good learning experience for the kids and now we know which ones will battle and which ones won't.

Old
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm sick of this lack of pp adjustments. Yeah, our pp never got going against Boston, but it was performing over 20% against Philly with at least one goal in 4 of the 5 games.
The PP goals were almost all after the Flyers had built a 2 or 3 goal lead.
The PP was usually brutal in the early stages of the game when it was instrumental for the Habs to build a lead.
How could he not get Streit off the PP?, he was creating more chances for the Flyers and Bruins then for the Habs

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
My biggest annoyance was the fourth line. I didn't like seeing Streit and Dandenault on the same line and I thought Streit probably shouldn't have played in the post-season.

That said, Carbo pretty much went with an experienced lineup and with the players he used down the stretch. So really, he did what most coaches do.

I have to admit I chuckled when I saw "not putting Grabo or Ryder" as a mistake. I probably didn't see the same season as those posters, because those two were complete non factors throughout the year.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
goalchenyuk

The only things i didn't like is that Carbo kept Dandeneault too long , and kept Kovalev with Koivu too long . We won with a first line that did well most of the season , so why dismantel it after 1-2 defeats ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Schooner Guy

Not playing Ryder when it was obvious we needed a shooter.

Also, his horrible body language from the bench. When things aren't going our way, he looks like he wants to cry under the bench. That's not leadership.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:30 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
The only things i didn't like is that Carbo kept Dandeneault too long , and kept Kovalev with Koivu too long . We won with a first line that did well most of the season , so why dismantel it after 1-2 defeats ?
Because neither Plekanec nor AKosty were paying the price and Kovalev looked injured.