HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Smith for Bonk idea

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Smith for Bonk idea

My case for the D.

In my opinion, the Oilers defense is as strong as it's been in a long time, and I do not want to see much change there. However, since it's so strong, I say if Smith gets more than expected through arbitration, we should deal him for someone like Bonk. Then deal a forward or two(ie Chimera, Isbister, Horcoff, Reasoner, Laraque) for picks, or Fischer if value is as low as some say. The forwards would be as strong as ever, and Smith's new contract will probably be the same as Bonk's, so we're basically just using that money elsewhere. Bonk is also fairly versatile, being able to play Center or Wing.

I'll assume Chimmer and Horcoff go for Fischer(may be overpay, but just trying to make simple so people don't ***** about not giving enough or whatever, plus Fischer might not even be option so don't read to much into this) That would leave our lines something like this:

Smyth-Nedved-Dvorak
Torres-Bonk-York
Moreau-Reasoner-Hemsky
Isbister-Stoll-Pisani
PB: Rita, Laraque

Brewer-Semenov
Fischer-Staios
Bergeron-Ulanov
PB: Cross, who can step in easily regularily giving differant guy's througout breaks and relieving in case of injury.

Not sure I'm overly thrilled about the idea either, allthough I'm certainly willing to give Fischer a shot here if his welcome has run out, and Bonk would be a nice addition to the top 6. Either way, hopefully make for some interesting debates.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:47 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Im not totally opposed to this idea, however I dont think Ottawa needs someone like Smith when theyve got a very physical defense already with Phillips, De Vries and Chara. They need more size and grit up front, but overall, this might work. Smith, Smyth, and Laraque for Havlat and Bonk. does this sound fair, under paying, over paying?

Id then aquire B. Witt and M. Oullette from Washington for M. Reasoner, J. Rita and J. Ninnimakki flame away, but heres my fantasy lines after the deals.

Havlat-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-Bonk-Dvorak
Moreau-Horcoff-Isbister
Chimera-Stoll-Pisani
PB: Salmo

Brewer-Semenov
Witt-Bergeron
Ulanov-Staios
Cross/Woywitka/Lynch

Conklin
Oullette

We drop Smyth, Smith, Laraque, Reasoner, Rita and Ninnimakki...
We get Havlat, Bonk, Witt and Oullette.

OK, so this might belong in the fantasy boards, but a boy can dream cant he.....no, I can't.

Old
05-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Yanner39

My take on Bonk is that if he can be our second line centre, I'm all for it. He's proven in Ottawa that he can't shoulder the load of being the # 1 centre. Having him play second fiddle to Nedved would be good.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Mr Sakich

Bonk can be a very good player but, at 3.5 mill, he is way too pricy for a 2nd line centre on the oilers. If you think he can be a #1 centre, then his salary is fine.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
Bonk can be a very good player but, at 3.5 mill, he is way too pricy for a 2nd line centre on the oilers. If you think he can be a #1 centre, then his salary is fine.
So what do you think would be the top salary the Oilers would pay for a #2C? 2M? 2.5M maybe?

I would agree, in the current market 3.5 is a bit rich for their blood.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:15 AM
thistle

Just curious, why would we want Bonk? I'd rather have Smyth's disappearing act over Bonk's anyday. If we wanted Bonk, we could probably get him for a lot less than Smitty.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:26 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
Just curious, why would we want Bonk? I'd rather have Smyth's disappearing act over Bonk's anyday. If we wanted Bonk, we could probably get him for a lot less than Smitty.
which smith(smyth) are you talking about?

Old
05-18-2004, 10:48 AM
thistle

Whoops, just reread the original post and thought Smyth was the player going to Ottawa for Bonk. It's too early and I need a coffee...

Old
05-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
That's my only problem. I never consider $$ issues when talking about potential acquisitions but I should. From a personel standpoit, Bonk would be great. But you're right, for $3.5M, no way. Even at $2.5, the Oilers should consider other alternatives.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:33 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'm a Bonk fan, and I really believe hat he will rebound after his sub par year. I don't, however, think that he fits with this team at 3.5 million/year UNLESS we can't resign Nedved - then he'd make a perfect back up plan IMO - and no, Bonk wouldn't cost us Smith - because he's one of the guys that will be part of the "changes" in Ottawa - his salary along with his poor play will keep his value at something like Isbister + second perhaps (actually Izzy would be perfect for the Sens I should think).

Old
05-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Mizral

I really don't like Fischer, but there's still no way you get him for Horcoff and Chimera. Chimera wouldn't have a HOPE IN HELL at cracking the Wings lineup.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:04 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
unless they do a bit of a changing of the guard... because obviously they've had no success the last couple years with this mix and I could see them dumping some older guys and making it Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Grigorenko, and Kronwall. Obviously they'd still have some Vets - but I could really see the young guys along with the grind line guys playing MUCH more and becoming more of the face of this team, instead of a bunch of ol' timers.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I really don't like Fischer, but there's still no way you get him for Horcoff and Chimera. Chimera wouldn't have a HOPE IN HELL at cracking the Wings lineup.
He might if a salary cap is implemented and the Wings lose guys like Hull, Shanahan, Yzerman and Whitney to free agency/retirement..

Old
05-18-2004, 03:48 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
He might if a salary cap is implemented and the Wings lose guys like Hull, Shanahan, Yzerman and Whitney to free agency/retirement..
It won't be an immediate thing... the salary cap will be grandfathered in, allowing teams a couple of years to get under.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:55 PM
barto

Back to the original proposal - if Smith gets too much in arbitration, then he's even less likely to go to Ottawa, in my opinion. They'd probably feel they could get something similar for less on the open market. However, I'm sure they'll shop Bonk around. Maybe they'd take one of our cheaper forwards and pay a small chunk of Bonk's salary? Or will some other team out there offer more for Bonk?

Bart

Old
05-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It won't be an immediate thing... the salary cap will be grandfathered in, allowing teams a couple of years to get under.
True enough.. guys like Yzerman and Shanahan might not still be playing by the time they get it all sorted out though.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:16 PM
LawnDemon

two words: BONK SUCKS

Old
05-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Bonk doesn't suck. He's a very good 2 way player, he is worth what he gets paid. Find me a bunch of other centers who contribute as much for less.

He's a great shutdown guy, he's got nice offensive abilities. (he's good for 20 goals - 60 -70pts /year. Excellent on the PP working the boards making the plays)
He's got good size at 6'3" 215#'s.

Its unfortunate that Bonk will be scapegoated in Ottawa but that's life.
He may not be a true #1 center (although his avg points over the past 3-4 years put him middle of the pack in the league as far as #1 C's go which suggests he is a capable #1 esp for his salary.)

his drawback is that he use his size to protect the puck etc.....but not to punish the opposition.
I would have no problem with Bonk staying in Ottawa but if he gets traded i will expect something good back in return and so will the Sens IMO.

I do like the idea of J Smith for Bonk. it seems to work well for both teams. Smith would look great alongside Redden and CEMENT the top 4 and make for a great third pairing of Volchenkov and Devries.

Redden-Smith
Chara-Phillips
Volchenkov-Devries

Good God i would love that to be our D heading into next season. An absolutely punishing back end with plenty of offence. ah to dream.

I do think you guys would be pleastantly surprised with what Bonk would bring over the course of a season.
he's improve your PP, PK - you can play him against the other teams top line as a shutdown guy while his offensive skill allows him to play with your best players.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:19 PM
kerrly

Send a message via MSN to kerrly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Im not totally opposed to this idea, however I dont think Ottawa needs someone like Smith when theyve got a very physical defense already with Phillips, De Vries and Chara. They need more size and grit up front, but overall, this might work. Smith, Smyth, and Laraque for Havlat and Bonk. does this sound fair, under paying, over paying?

Id then aquire B. Witt and M. Oullette from Washington for M. Reasoner, J. Rita and J. Ninnimakki flame away, but heres my fantasy lines after the deals.

Havlat-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-Bonk-Dvorak
Moreau-Horcoff-Isbister
Chimera-Stoll-Pisani
PB: Salmo

Brewer-Semenov
Witt-Bergeron
Ulanov-Staios
Cross/Woywitka/Lynch

Conklin
Oullette

We drop Smyth, Smith, Laraque, Reasoner, Rita and Ninnimakki...
We get Havlat, Bonk, Witt and Oullette.

OK, so this might belong in the fantasy boards, but a boy can dream cant he.....no, I can't.
I would never trade away our leader for Havlat. Yes he can put the puck in the net once in a while, but thats all he brings to the table, nothing more. Would I like Havlat on this team, probably, would I send Smyth over in the deal, absolutely not.

Closed Thread