HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu and Kovalev after next season

Old
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Koivu and Kovalev after next season

Do you guys think that Koivu and Kovalev will be re-signed after next season?

I really can't/don't see Koivu winning the cup in Montreal and I can really see the likes of Komisarek or Chipchura being the next captain(s) of this team.

Since both of them are UFA's after next season and have no trade clauses in there contracts, will they agree to be traded at the deadline if we fail to make it to the playoffs next season?

Discuss!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
hickles46

i think koivu can go on for a few years with us yet. As for kovy, i think it depends on how he looks this season; if he can have another season like this one, we should extend his contract for a year or something. I think Komisarek would be a good C, maybe with Gorges with an A on his shirt

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
WestIslander

I would like to see Komisarek being the captain in the future with Higgins and Chipchura as assistants.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

I really can't/don't see Koivu winning the cup in Montreal and I can really see the likes of Komisarek or Chipchura being the next captain(s) of this team.

Since both of them are UFA's after next season and have no trade clauses in there contracts, will they agree to be traded at the deadline if we fail to make it to the playoffs next season?

Discuss!

Honestly, I can see Koivu retiring as a Hab....whether he wins a cup with us or not and thats fine by me. As long as he isn't used as our firstline center anymore, he belongs on the team. Koivu should be on the second line for another couple of seasons and then move him to a 3rd line role where he can be responsible defensively and let someone else provide the offence.

If Kovy has a good season next year, I say sign him for at least one more, maybe 2 more seasons.....unless he wants too much money, then just let him go elsewhere.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Kaptain Bégin

I don't see Koivu going anywhere. I will re-sign with Montreal for 3 years, maybe this summer. After that, he will probably 2 more years max, and sign 1 year deal like Shanahan and Chelios. I really think he will play all his career in Montreal.

I hope we can resign Kovalev too. He's a great player with 5 good years ahead of him. I think Gainey will talk with him this summer and see if he's still happy to be a Habs. If not, he will be the one who should be trade. Maybe a trade to Calgary still a possibility. Remember, Keenan and Kovalev always got man crush on each other.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Judge Sauer*

I'd like to see Koivu staying here, but I wouldn't be against seeing him go to another team at a trade deadline where he could have a real shot at the cup, if the Habs aren't in a position for it.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I hope that Koivu will retire as a hab...

He can get the years he wants but he will definitely have to take a paycut...

I think that after the 2008-2009 season, we will need another 1st/2nd line center and that Koivu should play on the 3rd line, a role ala Fedorov...

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
TheCH*

Koivu will retire as a habs and win a cup with us.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:39 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

Discuss!
its a tough call on both , the issue is simple , both are UFA`S and clearly as our 2 best forwards , we arent good enough to win a cup with them. Now with both at some point in decline , the term and length of the contracts are critical .

We need a BIG CENTER , an Umberger type to get to the next level. Pleks is a solid 2 , we need that number 1. We have solid depth , hopefully Max steps in soon a,nd our D is deep. We may have to move a Higgins , and a top prospect to get
a better center.
Bob so far has done the right thing, he let our free agents who have no future with us walk. I don`t think both will be back beyond next season , with Kovalev`s size and wheels he may return.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
mabus

Quote:

Discuss!
Before this season I Firmly believed Koivu would be going elsewhere when his contract was up. After this remarkable season, I can't imagine why he would want to. We were 3rd overall in the league in the regular season, and made a serious cup run before running into Biron's magic wall.

Price will get better, and so will the rest of the team.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:15 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Keep Koivu.

Trade Kovalev.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
anarmandaleb

Koivu will be a Hab until he retires. Or I'll cry.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
After next season we are going to sign Vinny

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I guess we'll have to see how they perform next season. And whether or not we load up on any other big UFA contracts this summer, etc. If Gainey's general policies hold.

And I think it's fair to apply those policies to both players at this point in time. With Koivu, I might secretly like to think he'll be amenable to re-signing with us, without needing any big fancy raises. If he wanted to give us some kind of discount, I'd extend him early. If not, we can wait and see if he deserves to be re-signed at the same basic salary or more (I think he will).

Kovalev is a total wildcard IMHO. Seeing what he does next season is important. Then you have to figure out if he's amenable to staying at a reasonable rate (which would involve a raise if he plays again like he did this past season) or whether he really wants to cash in at open market value. (Where "open market value" = "scandalously high salary").

With the factor of who else we sign and for how much always intruding.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
I want Koivu here till the end.

Kovalev?

Let's wait and see next year if this season wasn't a fluke.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Avim86

If koivu stays no way we sign a franchise center...Where would you put Koivu after and Pleks , no way pleks is going back on the 3rd line after last season.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
JFB

Koivu yes.

Kovalev... No thanks.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
tinyzombies

I would sign both at the same price, but no raises. I'd consider trading Kovalev as well while his value is high. Probably won't be this high again.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Keep Koivu.

Trade Kovalev.
+1

I see Koivu sign a 3 year deal / 9 millions, finish his career on the 3rd line and retire at 38. Hopefully, he can win a Cup here so he'll have his jersey #11 retired. As for Kovy, maybe trade him at the deadline or keep him if we're a contender and let him walk in the summer of 09.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Kirk Muller

As great of a regular season as Kovalev had, i could just as easily see him drop back to his 50 point years with disinterested play. Heck, he looked pretty disinterested for half of the playoff games this year.

Hopefully the Kostitsyn brothers can progress further and hopefully Higgins gains some consistency or else Montreal needs to somehow lure a free or two here.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Stradale

Im surprised to see all the Kovalev hate already.

Last year, we all hate him because he didnt brought us to the playoff.

This year, he was the main reason why we were in the playoff when nobody was expecting it. He has a point per game average and played 94 straights games and thats playing being the opponents target night after night. But because he was not as good as in the regular season in the playoff, people wants him out already?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Rayne*

Keep Koivu until he's willing to retire. As for Kovalev, I'll wait and see how he performs next season before deciding if I want him to stay or go.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

I think both are capable of playing several more years.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
CBBRH

Send a message via MSN to CBBRH
IMO Koivu has to stay with Habs until he retires, and I hope that day isn't anywhere near yet. Saku said a few weeks ago in a finnish newspaper that he will continue playing for at least three years and max. five.

About Kovalev, we'l have to see what he does next year. If he plays like he did this season, he should be re-signed.

CBBRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Iwishihadacup

Koivu stays until he retires, kovy will go at the deadline if we do not play for the cup next year

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote