HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who were you more impressed with

Old
05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Who were you more impressed with

It's pretty self-explanatory, who impressed you the most this season among rookies? Who do you think will developp into the best forward or D within the next few years?

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I don't consider Andrei a rookie, so Sergei.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Beakermania*

Carey Price and Sergei Kostitsyn are both future stars.

Carey Price though as the most impressive, goalie is tougher to break in at then forward, especially at 20 years old, which they both are. The pressure of that position is just greater and goalies usually take longer to develop.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Sergei,love the guts this kid has

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
BIlly and Price

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Kachino

vCash: 50
Andrei (not really a rookie but first full year in the NHL), Sergei and Carey...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
One Trick Pony

Gorges

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Gorges
not a rookie

Old
05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Gorges
True everyone one forgets Josh,after that terrible game against the Trashers were he gived up the puck to Kozlov,he was great the rest of the year

Bravo Josh

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Rookie: Sergei Kostitsyn and Price
Overall: Gorges. People didn't even think he's NHL caliber at the start of the season.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Corey

I'm thinking ahead to who might be the next outstanding rookie on the Habs. I can't picture Chipchura as an impact player. There must be someone else. Who will it be?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

read the OP

Old
05-05-2008, 09:45 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
not a rookie
I should start reading the threads instead of only the title

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Erika

Do I need to say ?! It was Ryan O'Byrne and Carey Price of course.

I'm not surprise with Sergei Kostitsyn performance this season, because I always knew what he was capable of. He did just what I expected him to do in his rookie season at 20 years old. He could've crack this line-up last year already, but I think his last year in the OHL was extremely benefit for him.

The kid is going to be a superstar, mark my words !!

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-06-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Carey Price and Sergei Kostitsyn

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Iwishihadacup

Josh Gorges and Sergei Kostisyn

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Do I need to say ?! It was Ryan O'Byrne and Carey Price of course.

I'm not surprise with Sergei Kostitsyn performance this season, because I always knew what he was capable of. He did just what I expected him to do in his rookie season at 20 years old. He could've crack this line-up last year already, but I think his last year in the OHL was extremely benefit for him.

The kid is going to be a superstar, mark my words !!
He'll be a "utility player", like Higgins.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-06-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
He'll be a "utility player", like Higgins.

In you're dreams, maybe

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-06-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
It's pretty self-explanatory, who impressed you the most this season among rookies? Who do you think will developp into the best forward or D within the next few years?
Well it's hard to really say right now so soon after a crushing loss but Price impressed the hell out of me until the 2nd round, I couldn't believe what I saw from him in the calder cup playoffs last year and while he had his bouts of inconsistency, after the trade deadline and in the boston series I really liked what I saw from him. I hope he turns into a great goalie.

And to add to that, the Kostitsyn brothers were great fun to watch this year, AKosty did better then I thought he would for his first full year, hope he continues to improve. SK I was a big fan of, but didn't think he would be able to step in and see so much time with the Habs. Can't wait to see what he can do in his first full season next year and what he can do down the road. Would be great if the older brother would play with as much fire as the younger brother but still think they will be a big part of our offense. I personally don't believe the rumor about him getting 4M offer, but I will always have concerns about losing our Russian players as it's clear that oil has changed the landscape in Russia, and the league can afford to pay some big contracts while offering a low tax bracket as well as other gifts.

O'Byrne I thought he had some rough times but also started to show some good things towards the end of the season. I personally have high hopes for him in say 2 years or so if he continues to improve as he has each year since being drafted imo (have seen him play a ton and got to interview him, cool guy to talk to) I think I've been higher on him then most people but it certinaly would be great if we could develop another solid, physical defensemen. I thought he would be more physical with the Habs, but perhaps he needs to settle in as he was physical in hamilton. I expect to see some better things from him next year.

Chipchura I liked what I saw from him, but I've always wondered about his offensive upside and still do, although imo he was the 2nd best player for the Dogs at last years playoff run. I expect him to move up full time next year and he's one player I hope exceds my expectations, although I think he will turn into a very solid 3rd liner in a couple years. When you roll out Komisarek, Higgins, A.Kosty, Price and Chipper, over 5 1st rounds, it certainly looks good for Chipchura as the others are major parts of our team and I have no doubt that Pacoiretty will be another to add to the list of good 1st round picks. Granted, having a 5th, 7th and 10th overall picks, you better be making impact picks, although I for one like the sound of Price/Komisarek/AKostitsyn, but we'll see what they can do in the next few years.

Stewart/D'Agostini/Locke, Stewart had a good debut, was fun to see him out there, character guy that does whatever he can to help his team win. D'Agostini was ok, hope to see both guys get some more games. Sounds like Stewart has made a good impression on the Habs brass, so hope he works really hard this summer. Locke I thought he had a tough time out there, but man can he put points on the board in the ahl. He has so many holes in his game but he certainly has some slick skills. Should be interesting to see what his future holds with the Habs.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
+100

Same thing here for me.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:48 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Overall: Gorges. People didn't even think he's NHL caliber at the start of the season.
Quote:
Gorges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
True everyone one forgets Josh,after that terrible game against the Trashers were he gived up the puck to Kozlov,he was great the rest of the year

Bravo Josh
He's definitely not a rookie.

His first two seasons in the NHL he played 49 and 54 games, respectively.

As for me, Sergei Kostitsyn. Price had an up and down start to the season, but he was amazing upon his call-up. He was disappointing in the playoffs, but he's young. But Kostitsyn was on all year, regardless of the stupid penalties.

So the winner for me;

Sergei Kostitsyn.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:15 AM
wedge

Sergei imprsesed me a lot. We all knew about Price, but Kostitsyn wasn't expected to play this year and his presence transformed the team.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Carey Price and Sergei Kostitsyn are both future stars.

Carey Price though as the most impressive, goalie is tougher to break in at then forward, especially at 20 years old, which they both are. The pressure of that position is just greater and goalies usually take longer to develop.
Agreed. Price might have had a little low in the middle but was amazing overall and was one of the main reasons the team was first overall.

Sergei looked great and I love the fact he is not scared to rough it up when needed.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:07 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Price- Being 20 stepped up to the no.1 goalie position and ran with it, first playoffs for him ever and he made it to the second round in game 5 against a really physical team.

Sergei- Coming in from Hamilton with unknown expectations, his flashes of skill and talent in the OHL looked promising, having only played 40 some games, he had an interesting point total, considering he was a rookie half way through the season.

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
mcphee

Price was obviously impressive. I was wrong to assume that the growing pains would be minimal going down the stretch. They were thereand I hope he's learned from them, becaus they clearly decided that when hey get there, h'll have brought them. You want decisive management ? You got it.

S.Kost. He's hard not to like, scrappy little guy with great vision, playmaking skills.
He would have games where he couldn't find how to involve himself, but they were few, and his skill level is high enough that he can salvage a bad game, with one play. If he is to go from a 60 point projection to higher, he has to add some things to his game. In that he's a kid, it'll be interesting to see how he reacts next year, does he figure he has it made, or does he work at getting better ?

O'Bryne I like his game. He'll let us know whether he's aspiring to stay at home Hal Gill status or towards, big guy who can blanket other big guys like Coburn did in the last series. He doesn't have as much talent as Coburn,imo, but you know the style I mean. Maybe it's me, but he seems kind of young for his age ? It'll be interesting to see what management thinks of him, the ufa season will indicate the regard they have for him.

Chipchura- I like his positional game, he makes smart plays with the puck, a bit more creative than I assumed, wins battles. As a rookie, he seemed so focused on not making mistakes, he didn't have any edge to his game. A bit too passive. His AHL games showed a player who'd mix it up a bit more. I think if he develops well, he'll add that. I'd like to see him with a line that he can develop with. If he plays with fast players, like HIggins,Lapierre or a D'agostini/Stewart , I'd be really interested to see how much icetime they can get together. IF Higgins was to play with him, that'd mean that someone else was on pace for 25+ on a different line, and that can only be good.

Grabovski- Quick, nifty around the net, I just don't know that he fits what they need. If he truly wants to play in NA, maybe a trade, or move to the wing ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote