HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

François Gagnon's last article

Old
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Fido22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Seriously, guys, I'm out of the loop. What tape?
I take it it is the alleged Kovalev tape from last summer (where it is alleged he basted the Habs to a Rusian paper). Well, that's the way I remember it anyway.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
I like both players, but would we be able to have the same season we just had without Kovalev and with Koivu? Not sure about it... Plus the fact that when a player is the best scorer on your team in the season AND in the playoffs, it means he's important a way or another.

Kovalev is being paid to be our 2nd best forward. He's been arguably and statistically our best in the three last playoffs, plus in two of the three last seasons.

Like it or not, he's more important than Koivu to the success of this team, and as much as I love Koivu, I know that alone, that guy just can't lead his team to the playoffs the way Kovalev did it this year.
Koivu is a leader, Kovalev isn't. Koivu inspires the team to play better. Kovalev inspires his bank account to get bigger. Thanks for trying.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Koivu is a leader, Kovalev isn't. Koivu inspires the team to play better. Kovalev inspires his bank account to get bigger. Thanks for trying.
thats why he never won a cup. thats why higgins played like s*** when playing with him.
I like koivu, but please, dont worship the guy...

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I take it it is the alleged Kovalev tape from last summer (where it is alleged he basted the Habs to a Rusian paper). Well, that's the way I remember it anyway.
Correct

Each time i see a story from Gagnon about Kovalev i ask for THE TAPE ! THEEEEEEEEEE TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPE

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Mont Royale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I wrote an entertaining limerick with Vezina's name, but when I found out it wasn't the hard I sound, it didn't make much sense.

Mont Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:58 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
thats why he never won a cup. thats why higgins played like s*** when playing with him.
I like koivu, but please, dont worship the guy...
Over Kovalev any day of the week. Iginla hasn't won a cup, neither has Sundin. Higgins has trouble finishing, do you even watch hockey?

Worst arguments i've ever seen.

Old
05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Over Kovalev any day of the week. Iginla hasn't won a cup, neither has Sundin. Higgins has trouble finishing, do you even watch hockey?

Worst arguments i've ever seen.
Koivu has never lead his team to the cup. That's a simple fact. That's a fact, nonetheleast. You can't say that Koivu proved that he could be the go-to guy of a team so far.

And as for Kovalev... what about if the guy just wasn't happy to be kept with Koivu and Higgins?

What about if the guy was just tired of creating golden chances just to see Higgins miss the net on a 3 feet shot?

What I know, is that this year is the first year since a long time that the Canadiens finished 1st in the eastern conference. This is also the first time they finished first there since Koivu is around. Ironically, this is the first year Koivu is not the go-to guy.

Give the offense back to Koivu, and see what happens. We will go back down there.

Where were you when Koivu wasn't doing anything this season?

Kovalev is the offensive leader of this team, he plays great and makes the other around him better. He had tremendous chemestry all year long with Plekanec and Kostitsyn.

All those who suggest to trade Kovalev away don't have a clue what they talk about.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Koivu has never lead his team to the cup. That's a simple fact. That's a fact, nonetheleast. You can't say that Koivu proved that he could be the go-to guy of a team so far.
Hey you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. The habs have been a gutless sub par team for years and Koivu has been their only franchise player that they didn't throw away. One of the only reasons they actually could contend for those years.

Quote:
And as for Kovalev... what about if the guy just wasn't happy to be kept with Koivu and Higgins?
I guess he shouldn't have accepted that big contract and been a professional in the first place if this is the case. It's not and we both know it.

Quote:
What about if the guy was just tired of creating golden chances just to see Higgins miss the net on a 3 feet shot?
Yeah last year when he was taking horrid penalties and getting a miserable 47 pointes that was all his linemates fault.

Quote:
What I know, is that this year is the first year since a long time that the Canadiens finished 1st in the eastern conference. This is also the first time they finished first there since Koivu is around. Ironically, this is the first year Koivu is not the go-to guy.
Ironically this is the first time the habs have had a decent team that didn't just let Koivu do all of the work. Go figure.

Quote:
Give the offense back to Koivu, and see what happens. We will go back down there.
Yeah like his 9 points in 7 games while Kovalev wasn't doing anything.

Quote:
Where were you when Koivu wasn't doing anything this season?
I was here listening to people like you badmouth the heart and soul of this organization for the last 10 years. Shameful

Quote:
Kovalev is the offensive leader of this team, he plays great and makes the other around him better. He had tremendous chemestry all year long with Plekanec and Kostitsyn.

All those who suggest to trade Kovalev away don't have a clue what they talk about
Kovalev admitted he changed the way he played this year from last so it's safe to say he single handedly almost ruined Plekanec last year and was probably the reason Samsonov played attrociously.

Old
05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Beakermania*

We need both guys

Gagnon is stupid.

/end thread.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Lame. I used to think he was a good writer, his stint on 110% affected his brain.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
rocketlives

For those of you who are interested, here is the English translation of the legend of the Habs pic at Toe Blake's tavern in 1951.

On the left side from front to back:
Mrs Doug Harvey, Mrs Bouchard and her husband Emile, Elmer Lach, Gerry McNeil and his girl friend, Marlene Morenz and Bernie Geoffrion, girl friend and Howie Morenz Jr.

On the right side from front to back:
Doug Harvey, Mrs Richard(Lucille) and Rocket, an unidentified couple, Mrs Elmer Lach, Mrs Mosdell and her husband Kenny.

This photo was taken from the book Maurice Richard l'idole d'un peuple by Jean-Marie Pellerin. The legend says after having eliminated the Red Wings. It has to be 1951. The Habs finished 3rd with 65 points that year and eliminated the Wings who had finished first with 101 points. The Habs were beaten in the finals by the Leafs in 7 games on the famous Bill Barilko goal. The only other time the Habs eliminated the Red Wings in the 50's was 1956 in the final series but Elmer Lach was no longer with the team. So it can't be 1956.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
marchabsfan

maaaaan those "koivu is a god" defense schemes and "you can't say anything bad about koivu, gainey or price" are so useless. he is good, and he will stay in montreal. we just differ on his value.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
maaaaan those "koivu is a god" defense schemes and "you can't say anything bad about koivu, gainey or price" are so useless. he is good, and he will stay in montreal. we just differ on his value.
Okay, but saying he is the reason we lost in the playoffs is stupid. If you believe that, you don't know **** about hockey. That is what Gagnon and Bergeron are saying, and it is a really dumb opinion to have.

I'm not saying you feel this way, just that they have said it.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
madbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I know its a dumb question, but it was a little detail that got me thinking. Does Koivu really fit with the team? Most of the young players (The Kostitsyns, Grabs, Plekanec) look up to Kovy and guys like Lapierre, Latendresse, etc.. aren't Koivu followers either.
While Koivu isn't out late whooping it up given he his in his mid-30's, married and a father, it still boggles my mind how people continue questioning his importance to this team. He could have bailed out a long time ago but he toughs it out because he bleeds bleu, blanc et rouge just as the rest of us. He's a leader on this team and he's reliable.

From the latest issue of Canadiens magazine:

When it comes to imparting words of wisdom, Koivu's availability and enthusiasm are boundless.
"Where does he talk to me or give me advice? Everywhere!" revealed [Sergei] Kostitsyn, shaking his head. "On the ice, in the dressing room, during lunch, even on the plane. He's been a huge help for me. I don't know if it's like this everywhere else in the NHL for rookies, but I think I'm pretty lucky to have Saku looking out for me."

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
wedge

Gagnon hates Koivu AND Kovalev. so he takes the occasion to bash both of them.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Jean Beliveau used to pack a sandwich and read a book on long train rides, wasn't really one of 'the boys'.

I wonder if he and Doug Harvey had any problems ? I wonder if the Rocket liked Tom Johnson ? I wonder if many of the 70's Habs found Ken Dyden distant and difficult to relate to ?

I wonder if it mattered ?
LOL Touche guy!

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
While Koivu isn't out late whooping it up given he his in his mid-30's, married and a father, it still boggles my mind how people continue questioning his importance to this team. He could have bailed out a long time ago but he toughs it out because he bleeds bleu, blanc et rouge just as the rest of us. He's a leader on this team and he's reliable.

When it comes to imparting words of wisdom, Koivu's availability and enthusiasm are boundless.
"Where does he talk to me or give me advice? Everywhere!" revealed [Sergei] Kostitsyn, shaking his head. "On the ice, in the dressing room, during lunch, even on the plane. He's been a huge help for me. I don't know if it's like this everywhere else in the NHL for rookies, but I think I'm pretty lucky to have Saku looking out for me."

I also read about komisarek saying he was the true leader in this chamber

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
BadHabit

What I think is hilarious is that when Gagnon says this kind of stuff, he's an idiot. But when he says Ryder didn't pay attention to the game and was throwing paper airplanes into the crowd, RYDER is the idiot.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Stephen Locke*

It basically reinforces my opinion that La Presse has the tendency to manufacture or create useless controversies based on weird speculations.

Anyway,it doesn't really matter,and maybe Gagnon interpreted this in his own way.I don't think there is something between Kovy and Koivu to be honest.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Fozz

Here we go again... La Presse trying to start crap with tabloid style bullcrap. The season is over and Gagnon just needs to write completely irrelevant and sensational soap operas stuff.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post

Well yeah, of course Koivu likes him, Sergei's Belarussian, he can relate. Those eastern euros all look alike.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
For those of you who are interested, here is the English translation of the legend of the Habs pic at Toe Blake's tavern in 1951.

On the left side from front to back:
Mrs Doug Harvey, Mrs Bouchard and her husband Emile, Elmer Lach, Gerry McNeil and his girl friend, Marlene Morenz and Bernie Geoffrion, girl friend and Howie Morenz Jr.

On the right side from front to back:
Doug Harvey, Mrs Richard(Lucille) and Rocket, an unidentified couple, Mrs Elmer Lach, Mrs Mosdell and her husband Kenny.

This photo was taken from the book Maurice Richard l'idole d'un peuple by Jean-Marie Pellerin. The legend says after having eliminated the Red Wings. It has to be 1951. The Habs finished 3rd with 65 points that year and eliminated the Wings who had finished first with 101 points. The Habs were beaten in the finals by the Leafs in 7 games on the famous Bill Barilko goal. The only other time the Habs eliminated the Red Wings in the 50's was 1956 in the final series but Elmer Lach was no longer with the team. So it can't be 1956.
I believe Ken Mosdell was the Rocket's good friend even though Mosdell didn't speak French.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah like his 9 points in 7 games while Kovalev wasn't doing anything.

Kovalev admitted he changed the way he played this year from last so it's safe to say he single handedly almost ruined Plekanec last year and was probably the reason Samsonov played attrociously.
Kovalev lead the Habs with 11pts in 12GP during the POs. If you think he didn't do anything, maybe you should lower your expectations.
Koivu was not the guy the other teams had to shut down the most, it was all about Kovalev, which freed up room for Koivu.
Koivu didn't have a Big Foot on him every time he touched the puck for 7Games.
As for last season, Samsonov was horrible and to say its Kovalev's fault is completely dumb. Sammy didn't do crap in Chicago..who are you gonna blame for that?..

Bottom line is we need both just as much, to try to higher the value of one just by dissing the other is completely ridiculous and stupid.

Koivu brings heart, courage, leadership..he's been the face of the Habs for more than a decade.
Kovalev has unbelievable skills, and was our scoring leader this season.

We need both.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I love Koivu. He is a great player for this team. But he's overvalued. He's not a go-to guy, and can't be considered as a star. When we count on him to bring offense, we fail. He has to be part of the answer.

And to all those who suggest to trade Kovalev because of this story... remember Ribeiro? It would be odd to lose the two best players we had in the last 15 years because Saku "dislike" them.

As for those who blame Kovalev, don't try to get over this : without Kovalev, you wouldn't have seen any playoffs hockey this year. You wouldn't have been holding your breath for long shifts when he had the puck. The guy was double-teamed during all the playoffs and still managed to be a PPG player. This guy is by far our best player in every aspect of the game. Let him play his game, cheer for him, and enjoy what he's giving to us. 4,5M for what we saw of him this year has got to be one of the greatest performance/salary ratio for a player in the NHL.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
I love Koivu. He is a great player for this team. But he's overvalued. He's not a go-to guy, and can't be considered as a star. When we count on him to bring offense, we fail. He has to be part of the answer.

And to all those who suggest to trade Kovalev because of this story... remember Ribeiro? It would be odd to lose the two best players we had in the last 15 years because Saku "dislike" them.

As for those who blame Kovalev, don't try to get over this : without Kovalev, you wouldn't have seen any playoffs hockey this year. You wouldn't have been holding your breath for long shifts when he had the puck. The guy was double-teamed during all the playoffs and still managed to be a PPG player. This guy is by far our best player in every aspect of the game. Let him play his game, cheer for him, and enjoy what he's giving to us. 4,5M for what we saw of him this year has got to be one of the greatest performance/salary ratio for a player in the NHL.
I don't think Koivu is considered overrated by many for what he brings.It's the exact opposite,he has been constantly underrated and never appreciated for what he brings all his career in Montreal.He's been considered a star offensive player,but unlike Kovalev,he wasn't surrounded well like Kovy used to be this year and was injured all the time.He's declining,and he's not the ''go-to guy'' due to injuries and health issues anymore but he's an very valuable part of our club and the Habs need him.No need to put him down.It's a fact.

As for Kovalev,I ask accountability and competition from any Hab player and he delivered this season as he was a big part of our success.I congratulate him for it,but unlike you I don't consider him as a megasuperstar who does it all.You have to admit he's benefitted of fortunate circumstances,one having a excellent centre in Plekanec to play with and a world-class PP to help him.

All in all,I enjoy what both players offer on the table and are definitely important parts of eventual success for this franchise.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote