HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dawes, Prucha, Tyutin, Sanguinetti and a First

Old
05-05-2008, 04:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
I don't think its enough, have throw in one more player & another pick.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm just wondering what all of these "build from within" people are going to say when we wind up 2nd to last in goal scoring again. I think too many people take the Pens as a model of what building from within means. If we had a farm system full of Crosbys, Malkins and Letangs, I'd be all for that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
does that package get you a Gaborik? Kovalchuk?

thoughts?
No thanks.

IM good with sending everyone but Sanguinetti on that list for the right deal...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
JTG

I think Cherapanov when he finally gets over here will make everyone forget about Gaborik and Kovalchuk.

That would be an Eric Lindros type deal. Trade a potential top line winger, a handful of solid young roster players, and 2 first round picks for a moody, premadonna, winger.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think Cherapanov when he finally gets over here will make everyone forget about Gaborik and Kovalchuk.

That would be an Eric Lindros type deal. Trade a potential top line winger, a handful of solid young roster players, and 2 first round picks for a moody, premadonna, winger.
youre talking about Kovalchuk here?!?!?!?!?

Id give them 2 Cherepanovs to get that kid here. The odds of Chere hitting the level of Kovlachuk ever, is almost infinitesimal. Kovalchuk is without a doubt one of the 2 best scorers in the NHL today, WITH NO TEAM AROUND HIM. put a solid team around him, and the kid could score 70 goals a year. Thats how good he is.

Anyone who wouldnt want Kovalchuk on their team is seriously smoking some good stuff.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Cherepanov, Tyutin, Dawes, Prucha, 2008 1st, 2009 2nd

Kovalchuck, 2008 2nd

Get it done, Slats!

Kovalchuk - Dubinsky - Jagr
Ryder - Gomez - Hillier
Drury - Anisimov - Korpikoski
Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom

Rozsival - Staal
Orpik - Girardi
Potter - Mara

Lundqvist

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Do we have anyone in our system who is comparable to any of them? Gomez for MacDonald, maybe. But other than that, nope.
Exactly. Right now we don't have comparables, maybe in 3 years we will. Maybe Dubinsky gets there. Maybe Cheripanov becomes that goal scorer we need. There's Anisimov and Staal and Sanguinetti too.

But right now, no. But how does free agency change that? How can 1 or 2 signings help us get the comparable 4 or 5 players? I'm not saying we shouldn't add through free agency, I'm saying now isn't the time. Let the core gel, like Anaheim's core. Then add through UFA, like Selanne and Neidermeyer. Then add through trades like Pronger. Hell, in 5 years Staal might just be approaching that status. We don't even know what we have beyond projections. We're not garbage, but our core isn't at a level that will put us over the top for a cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Selanne had 48 goals that year. Seems like a superstar to me.
Selanne had 40 goals only once between 1999 and 2005. That doesn't sound like a superstar to me, sounds like an abberation or a flare in a once great career. Everything came together for him that season... which is what you need when you win a cup, but that does not qualify as a superstar. 200 goals in 7 years is good, not amazing.

I can find stats too. If you are implying that we need a 50 goal scorer to win a cup, then I'll just wait until one appears out of thin are like Selanne did for them.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:22 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

Kovalchuck, 2008 2nd

Get it done, Slats!

Kovalchuk - Dubinsky - Jagr
Ryder - Gomez - Hillier
Drury - Anisimov - Korpikoski
Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom

Rozsival - Staal
Orpik - Girardi
Potter - Mara

Lundqvist
That's 6 new players. Mara won't re-sign with a team that scratched him half the season, so make it 7 new players. Callahan is out of position, Korpikoski is either a C or LW, so he's out of position. I'm sorry, that team doesn't win a cup either. It's too soft.

Kovalchuk isn't a proven performer in the post season. That is why I wouldn't sell the farm for him. I have no doubt that he would be amazing in the regular season with us, but I thought the point was to win a cup. We are going player crazy over losing in the playoffs and the only answers I see are beautiful princesses that turn into pumpkins during the postseason.

Old
05-05-2008, 06:34 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Exactly. Right now we don't have comparables, maybe in 3 years we will. Maybe Dubinsky gets there. Maybe Cheripanov becomes that goal scorer we need. There's Anisimov and Staal and Sanguinetti too.

But right now, no. But how does free agency change that? How can 1 or 2 signings help us get the comparable 4 or 5 players? I'm not saying we shouldn't add through free agency, I'm saying now isn't the time. Let the core gel, like Anaheim's core. Then add through UFA, like Selanne and Neidermeyer. Then add through trades like Pronger. Hell, in 5 years Staal might just be approaching that status. We don't even know what we have beyond projections. We're not garbage, but our core isn't at a level that will put us over the top for a cup.
I honestly think our "rebuild" was prematurely ended because of a return to dominance by Jagr and the emergence of Lundqvist (remember when Weekes was penciled in as our starting goalie pre 2005-2006?), and our franchise is starting to see some side effects from emerging from our rebuild without a young "franchise" offensive talent.

I agree with your post in the sense that we need to let this group marinate for a while longer before we can get a good sense of what we've spent so long cooking. Not to be completely pessimistic, but realistically I don't think our core is a few pieces away from the cup - especially if Jagr calls it quits. We are still a few top 6 guys away - whether those players come from FA/trade or from within still remains to be seen at this point in time. I think it would be foolish to throw away the majority of our unfinished players/prospects for one or two top players - it just sounds too Neil Smith.

05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
That's 6 new players. Mara won't re-sign with a team that scratched him half the season, so make it 7 new players. Callahan is out of position, Korpikoski is either a C or LW, so he's out of position. I'm sorry, that team doesn't win a cup either. It's too soft.

Kovalchuk isn't a proven performer in the post season. That is why I wouldn't sell the farm for him. I have no doubt that he would be amazing in the regular season with us, but I thought the point was to win a cup. We are going player crazy over losing in the playoffs and the only answers I see are beautiful princesses that turn into pumpkins during the postseason.
Callahan and Korpikoski are not really out of position.

Right handed shooting wingers should almost always play on the LW and left handed shooting wingers should almost always play on the RW.

forehand to the play, quicker shot, better receiving passes.

Which is why every dynamic scoring winger always plays on the off wing.

Out of position would be taking a winger that never played center or defense before and placing them there.

And, Mara WHO PLAYED EVERY PLAYOFF GAME, will be cheaper and is better then most of the available options. He was only scratched because Malik makes more money and he needed a longer look. Once they realized Malik wouldn't cut it this year, they put Mara in... also, he had to have facial surgery, that is why he missed a lot of time...also where do you pull half the season from? he played 61 games out of 82. Again most of the time he missed was due to injury.

Oh yea, and yes there will be alot of new players because guess what? Half the roster are UFAs and will be gone.

And... Kovalchuk not a proven performer in the playoffs?... you realize his TEAM only got there once right? And he played VERY WELL in the post season last year.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 05-05-2008 at 07:38 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
John Torturella

Quote:

Selanne had 40 goals only once between 1999 and 2005. That doesn't sound like a superstar to me, sounds like an abberation or a flare in a once great career. Everything came together for him that season... which is what you need when you win a cup, but that does not qualify as a superstar. 200 goals in 7 years is good, not amazing.

I can find stats too. If you are implying that we need a 50 goal scorer to win a cup, then I'll just wait until one appears out of thin are like Selanne did for them.
You simply asked who was their super star scorer that year. My answer was Selanne. 48 goals in a season are Ovechkin like numbers. Selanne was a super star scorer in that year.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Sorry, if you can get Kovalchuk for any players other than Staal, Drury, Gomez and Lundqvist.. you go do it.

He's Jagr from 10 years ago. You give up the farm for that kind of player.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I'm just wondering what all of these "build from within" people are going to say when we wind up 2nd to last in goal scoring again. I think too many people take the Pens as a model of what building from within means. If we had a farm system full of Crosbys, Malkins and Letangs, I'd be all for that.
Tell that to the Habs, something like 75% of our players were from within the system (only 2 top ten picks : Carey Price [5th, 2005] and Andrei Kostitsyn [10th, 2003]) and we finished first in the east AND had the best offense in the league. Cherepanov in terms of talent is pretty close to Kostitsyn (maybe better, I don't know, both dropped due to circumstances [Kostitsyn = illness, Cherepanov = pissed off russians]). Building from the inside is THE way to go. Detroit, San Jose, Pittsburgh, etc. all have a good % of players coming from their system.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
drcameraman

Is Kovalchuk actually on the trading block from Atlanta and are the Rangers rumored to be interested?

drcameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Sorry, if you can get Kovalchuk for any players other than Staal, Drury, Gomez and Lundqvist.. you go do it.

He's Jagr from 10 years ago. You give up the farm for that kind of player.
agreed...i would really like to hold onto one of anisimov and cheraponov as i could see kovalchuk as being a great mentor to one of them and sanguinetti is what this team badly needs but even he is available for kovalchuk

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Tell that to the Habs, something like 75% of our players were from within the system (only 2 top ten picks : Carey Price [5th, 2005] and Andrei Kostitsyn [10th, 2003]) and we finished first in the east AND had the best offense in the league. Cherepanov in terms of talent is pretty close to Kostitsyn (maybe better, I don't know, both dropped due to circumstances [Kostitsyn = illness, Cherepanov = pissed off russians]). Building from the inside is THE way to go. Detroit, San Jose, Pittsburgh, etc. all have a good % of players coming from their system.
i agree, however from the year before the lockout when the rangers sold almost every player on their roster they have a surplus of nhl ready prospects....it would be nice to package 5-6 of them and some picks for that high-end talent that we lack

Old
05-05-2008, 07:35 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
you're silly. If you can get a guy like Gaborik or Kovalchuk, you throw sang in the package in a heartbeat
yeah no thanks to both

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:48 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

Kovalchuck, 2008 2nd

Get it done, Slats!

I still don't think that's enough

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I still don't think that's enough
Dude are you mad? I mean seriously, Kovalchuk is good and all, but damn thats not enough? Thats a better package than Wayne Gretzky ever got traded for. That a wayyyyyyyyyy better package than Joe Thornton got traded for in case you want to say TGO was in a different era.

If Atlanta was offered that package they would take it and run, any gm would. The problem is the Rangers aren't going to offer that kind of package because no player in the NHL is worth that many good players. May I also remind you this is the same GM who traded Coburn for Zhitnik straight up! Atlanta is in the hole they are in how because they built thier team in the exact opposite manner the Rangers did. Now you guys want to switch places with them?

To me a very fair offer would be: Chere + Toots + 1st. If they want 3 or more 1st rounders for the guy I would rather just give him an offer sheet.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Honestly, if you had Kovalchuk would you give him up for support players IE. Dawes, Girardi, Tyutin, etc.?

If I'm ATL I want Dubinsky. I kinda think the Rangers would think about it.

Something like Dubinsky, Tyutin, and a 1st.

I don't know..if the NYR think Anisimov could step in and take over that third line center role immediately, I don't see what stops the Rangers from doing it.

Avery-Gomez-Kovalchuk
Dawes-Drury-Jagr
Sjostrom-Anisimov-Callahan
Korpikoski-Betts-Orr

Extra: Hollweg/Prucha

I think this just shows us we're atleast a year or two away from making a big impact trade. If Anisimov has a rookie season like Dubi, if Cherepanov comes over and plays like a superstar rookie, if Korpikoski shows to be a reliable 2nd/3rd line future winger, etc. These are all questions that will not be answered in time for a 2008 offseason deal.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

And we'd be right back where we started. We'd have a first line and not much depth beyond it.

Right now this team is facing a potential shortage of wings, trading what little depth we have is not the smartest asset management at the moment.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
And, Mara WHO PLAYED EVERY PLAYOFF GAME, will be cheaper and is better then most of the available options. He was only scratched because Malik makes more money and he needed a longer look. Once they realized Malik wouldn't cut it this year, they put Mara in... also, he had to have facial surgery, that is why he missed a lot of time...also where do you pull half the season from? he played 61 games out of 82. Again most of the time he missed was due to injury.

Oh yea, and yes there will be alot of new players because guess what? Half the roster are UFAs and will be gone.

And... Kovalchuk not a proven performer in the playoffs?... you realize his TEAM only got there once right? And he played VERY WELL in the post season last year.
We can debate the ideal positions of whatever-handed wingers. That's not up to you and me. I've never seen Callahan on the left or Korp on the left. In your other posts I've seen Dawes on the right. I get it. You have a philosophy and you are adament. So's Renney. Guess who wins this argument.

I like Mara, always have since we got him. I'm not saying we shouldn't offer him a contract. I'm just saying he won't sign it. Why should he? He never really played bad enough to get scratched, especially as much as he was this season. He can go anywhere he wants and feel comfortable about his playing time. You can't have that level of comfort here. Do I have to go over the Pock sequence of events? Hutchinson? Kasparitis? Ozolinsh? I'm not saying the organization is wrong in their choices, but if I'm a 28 yr old d-man who's been scratched in New York, I'm taking my business elsewhere cause you're getting more of the same.

Kovalchuk: 4 gm 1g 1a -1 19pim.

That's very well? 0-4 record and you're the star player/go to guy. What do you think his role here will be? If we're paying top dollar and sending a shipment of players to have the opportunity to pay top dollar for him, I want some kind of assurance he'll perform in the postseason. So yes, in my book R.J. Umberger is better than Illya Kovalchuk. Brendan Morrow is better than Marian Hossa. We'll get to the post season. That's not our problem. The issue is getting to round 3. Hossa, Gaborik and Kovalchuk aren't the answer.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
We can debate the ideal positions of whatever-handed wingers. That's not up to you and me. I've never seen Callahan on the left or Korp on the left. In your other posts I've seen Dawes on the right. I get it. You have a philosophy and you are adament. So's Renney. Guess who wins this argument.

I like Mara, always have since we got him. I'm not saying we shouldn't offer him a contract. I'm just saying he won't sign it. Why should he? He never really played bad enough to get scratched, especially as much as he was this season. He can go anywhere he wants and feel comfortable about his playing time. You can't have that level of comfort here. Do I have to go over the Pock sequence of events? Hutchinson? Kasparitis? Ozolinsh? I'm not saying the organization is wrong in their choices, but if I'm a 28 yr old d-man who's been scratched in New York, I'm taking my business elsewhere cause you're getting more of the same.

Kovalchuk: 4 gm 1g 1a -1 19pim.

That's very well? 0-4 record and you're the star player/go to guy. What do you think his role here will be? If we're paying top dollar and sending a shipment of players to have the opportunity to pay top dollar for him, I want some kind of assurance he'll perform in the postseason. So yes, in my book R.J. Umberger is better than Illya Kovalchuk. Brendan Morrow is better than Marian Hossa. We'll get to the post season. That's not our problem. The issue is getting to round 3. Hossa, Gaborik and Kovalchuk aren't the answer.
i diagree.....what is stopping any of those players listed of becoming a 1-2 punch like spezza and heatley in ottawa?....the rangers have a much better goalie and team the ottawa, the only thing that isnt as good is their top line is with those two....gomez has the vision to make anyone better.....and imagine a superstar with him....how good would one of those players be.....maybe they just need someone to teach them the ways?.....who have the had the chance to learn from?....i guarentee no one of drury or gomez's stature in the league(both have won cups and have been in a ton of playoff series)....i would take the chance on them....no matter what

Old
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Honestly, if you had Kovalchuk would you give him up for support players IE. Dawes, Girardi, Tyutin, etc.?

If I'm ATL I want Dubinsky. I kinda think the Rangers would think about it.

Something like Dubinsky, Tyutin, and a 1st.

I don't know..if the NYR think Anisimov could step in and take over that third line center role immediately, I don't see what stops the Rangers from doing it.

Avery-Gomez-Kovalchuk
Dawes-Drury-Jagr
Sjostrom-Anisimov-Callahan
Korpikoski-Betts-Orr

Extra: Hollweg/Prucha

I think this just shows us we're atleast a year or two away from making a big impact trade. If Anisimov has a rookie season like Dubi, if Cherepanov comes over and plays like a superstar rookie, if Korpikoski shows to be a reliable 2nd/3rd line future winger, etc. These are all questions that will not be answered in time for a 2008 offseason deal.
if they want dubinsky, then enstrom would have to be included, otherwise, no thanks. dubinsky is a keeper. what other centre do we have that actually plays physical, goes to the net, passes really well, and sticks up for teammates although not great at it, this coming from a rookie is a good thing. we got enough finesse. we need that grit and leadership to get us to the next level..

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
nyr5186

I'm definitely on the 'get Kovalchuk' bandwagon here.

He would cost a pretty penny, but I do believe we are an improved team with him as the offensive focal point than we are with Jagr. Kovalchuk, at this point in his career, is a bigger offensive threat than Jaromir. He's in his prime. He adds a dimension to our power play that was quite evidently missing all year: somebody who's not afraid to just crank it up and fire it. He's feisty as hell; isn't afraid to use his body or stick up for his teammates. He's the full package.

Assuming Staal is an untouchable, you have to figure that any Kovalchuk deal would need to include two of Cherepanov, Anisimov and Sanguinetti. If Slats can somehow get away with giving up just one of them, none of us should be complaining. If he gives up two, I think it's a risk worth taking. If he gives up all three, that's overpayment.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote