HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN Draft Preview writeups for a few current Hab players.

Old
05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
THN Draft Preview writeups for a few current Hab players.

Just thought some of you guys might find this interesting.

I'm hoping we can have some discussions on how right/wrong they were with certain comments.

These are writeups from their draft year.

Mike Komisarek:

Quote:
Nobody was surprised to see Mike Komisarek move up five spots in the Central Scouting rankings to fourth among North American skaters. Komisarek has developed into the big, strong physical defenseman everyone wants.
"We all want someone like that." said a GM. "but sometimes you are looking for a little more skill."
At 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, Komisarek has the size to be an effective NHL defenseman. He has good mobility and is a strong skater. He plays with gritand toughness. He has a hard, low slapshot and doesn't hesitate to join the rush. That's why he's the top ranked defenseman in this year's draft.
"He is a nice big package," said a scout of the freshman., who led Michigan to the NCAA Frozen Four. "His skating has improved through the year. He can take the body and makes the first pass. He doesn't get in trouble in his own end and doesn't get caught out of position."
Chris Higgins:

Quote:
There are two "ifs" about Chris Higgins. Scouts like him, but they just wish there was more of him to like.
"You wish he was bigger and faster," said a scout. "If he was bigger and faster, he would be in the top 10. But everything he does is NHL wise. He is a good player and he will play. He is a smart player."
At 5-foot-11, 192 pounds, Higgins is best described as an "honest player." He has better than avarage skating skills, a solid work ethic and is smart with the puck.
Higgins attracted a lot of attention at the end of the season, but he needs to get stronger and work on his shot. He's definately not first-line material.
"There's a chance he'll play on a second-line because he works hard and is smart. But he might just be a third-liner," said a GM. "The difference between him and Scottie Upshall is Upshall's grit."
Adds another scout: "He is a good competitor, but he does not have alot of finish. He does alot of things good, but not anything great."
Andrei Kostitsyn:

Quote:
Andrei Kostitsyn could be the sleeper of this year's draft. And epileptic, his ranking and status on draft day could be determined by the willingness of an NHL team to look past the condition's stigma.
Kostitsyn, from Belarus, will be checked out by doctor's in June; what they say will carry weight in the selection process.
He played with Moscow's Red Army this season, which speaks volumes about his promise.
"He is very smart. To be an '85 (born) and play in the Russian league is very good," said a European scout. "I saw his play a couple of very average games and he still scored. He has great skills and is a thinking-man's player."
Kostitsyn made an impression at the WJC in Halifax. He was the dominant player on Belarus and went hard every shift. He did not have much of a supporting cast, but carried on despite being on the receiving end of constant mugging by his opponents.
He is not huge, but he's smart with the puck. "He does not have the size, but I say he has the smarts and he could be great," said a scout.
Carey Price: (small write up..lockout year)

Quote:
Price saw alot of rubber this season and made a so-so Tri-City Americans team competitive. There's no one part of his game that is exceptional. He moves well and has great anticipation. Price has a ton of confidence, but that doesn't mean he's cocky.
Guillaume Latendresse: (small write up..lockout year)

Quote:
There were questions about Latendresse's consistency in the regular season, but a good playoff run helped calm the storm. He needs to work on a few things - such as mobility - but that won't scare teams away. He'll challenge for the "Q" scoring title next season.
Possibly tomorrow, or in a few days, I'll take out some older issues for guys like Koivu, Kostopolous, Smolinksi, Hamrlik, etc..

Also, in case you ask..there was no write up for Plekanec in his draft year. And i've looked for Kovalev in his draft year..but nothing..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Magic33

bang on with higgins IMO

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Form and Substance

Bang on for all of them. Except Higgins is one of the better skaters in the league. He has tremendous balance and acceleration. I think that's an area he's worked hard on. Too bad the same can't go for his finish.

Komisarek is pretty much living up to his billing, which is outstanding. We take it for granted but before him I can't remember a single first rounder besides Koivu that justified his potential.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Upshall better than Higgins.

I love me some Scottie Upshall (World Juniors anyone?).. but there is no way he's better than Higgins.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:42 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Kostitsyn has epilepsy? O_O

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:01 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Kostitsyn has epilepsy? O_O
Yeah. That's why we got him so low.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:05 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
holy shiesta i didn't know that O_O he sure doesn't show signs of it, sure a few brain cramps but i've never seen him have a seizure or anything on the ice. Then again i guess thats what meds are for however he didn't take a sick day or anything O_O What a trooper!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Prospector

Thx for the read. I was searching for that since a long time ago!

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:35 PM
jordy

very interesting reads. keep them coming!

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Really interesting to see that most of those writeups are accurate! I guess we saw too much in Higgins, as he will be a good second line player that every team would like to have. Komi is a great defensive defenceman, but yeah, sometimes, a little more skills would be great (but can we really complain...). As for Kost, well he definitely get stronger over the years, because he's now far from small. We are only seeing the beginning of what he can really do.

Can't wait to see the other writeups!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:10 PM
habs1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Really interesting to see that most of those writeups are accurate! I guess we saw too much in Higgins, as he will be a good second line player that every team would like to have. Komi is a great defensive defenceman, but yeah, sometimes, a little more skills would be great (but can we really complain...). As for Kost, well he definitely get stronger over the years, because he's now far from small. We are only seeing the beginning of what he can really do.

Can't wait to see the other writeups!
What do you mean by skills for Komi?

I mean, if he had no skill, how would have been able to score on breakaway ?

But I know that if he would have some skill, he would be a number one possibly. He has a good shot, but he always shoots on the players (not the goalie).

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:39 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
What do you mean by skills for Komi?

I mean, if he had no skill, how would have been able to score on breakaway ?

But I know that if he would have some skill, he would be a number one possibly. He has a good shot, but he always shoots on the players (not the goalie).
Two words: Andrew. Raycroft.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:24 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah. That's why we got him so low.
I was in attendance in Nashville for that draft and there were a load of very good players selected in front of him. Even Parise fell to NJ at the tail end of the first round.

As an aside, it was no trouble to pick out the team scouts. They were so out of place in a suit and tie. I saw one at the consession stand ordering a coffee in a styrofoam cup, on a blistering hot day . Old habits die hard. Now if only arenas down here knew how to make a good french fry and had vinegar to go with them (queue Homer Simpson drool reel).

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
I was in attendance in Nashville for that draft and there were a load of very good players selected in front of him. Even Parise fell to NJ at the tail end of the first round.
Nice... I will probably go to the 2009 draft in Montreal...
With all the great first round picks selected in 2003, Brent Burns is still the one who surprises me the most. Huge (6'5'',215 lbs) RW selected by the Minnesota Wild who's now converted to an all-star defenseman. Very similar case with Andrei Markov who was drafted as a center.

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
holy shiesta i didn't know that O_O he sure doesn't show signs of it, sure a few brain cramps but i've never seen him have a seizure or anything on the ice. Then again i guess thats what meds are for however he didn't take a sick day or anything O_O What a trooper!
Right after we drafted him he was brought to Montreal where Doctors quickly diagnosed the problem as some kind of night-time epilepsy. They have been able to treat it with medication.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

I'll take out the older issues soon, I promise. I'm just lazy.

Here's Max and Ryan's bio's from last year though if anyone's interested.

Max Pacioretty:

Quote:
Max Pacioretty has displayed a lot of improvement this season in the USHL and scouts are expecting that trend to continue next season at the University of Michigan.
One scout even compared Pacioretty to Erik Cole of Carolina.
"He's a big strong kid and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be able to develop into a really good player," a scout said. "He skates well and hits hard, but I would question his hockey sense a litte bit."
At 6-foot-1 and 203 pounds, Pacioretty is big enough to fill the role of a power forward and does a good job of going up and down the wing.
"He could become the prototype power forward," another scout said. "He needs to work on his game, but he doesn't have a lot of experience at a high level."
Pacioretty spent two years under coach Danny Murphy at Taft Prep in Connecticut before moving on to older competition in the USHL.
Ryan McDonagh:

Quote:
When you're this good, they call you Mister.
Ryan McDonagh was named Mr.Hockey as the top high school player in Minnesota this season and was named the most valueable player of the state championship tournament, which he helped his Cretin-Derham team win.
Most Minnesota high schoolers end up going to the Univerity of Minnesota, but McDonag will attend Wisconsin next season.
"He's the best player in high school," one scout said. "He does everything right and he has good offensive skills. He's also good defensively and he can hit and skate."
Another scout said McDonagh is the kind of player who does all the little things right and that his contributions don't necessarily show up in the scoring summaries.
"He plays a good two-way game." he said. "He kind of plays a quiet game, but it's effectively quiet."

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:26 PM
second58th

Quote:

You are comaparing mistakes on the ice to Epilepsy? Were you trying to be funny? Not funny. A little compassion maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Right after we drafted him he was brought to Montreal where Doctors quickly diagnosed the problem as some kind of night-time epilepsy. They have been able to treat it with medication.
Sorry, not sure where you heard that, but there is absolutely no such thing; just like there is no such thing as morning Cancer...

second58th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by second58th View Post

You are comaparing mistakes on the ice to Epilepsy? Were you trying to be funny? Not funny. A little compassion maybe...

Sorry, not sure where you heard that, but there is absolutely no such thing; just like there is no such thing as morning Cancer...
Are you a doctor?? cause seriously thats what we heard..... the doctors said he was having seizures while he slept and noone in Russia had properly diagnosed this. They changed his medication and his nighttime seizures stopped.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
pine*

Quote:
God disagrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autosom..._lobe_epilepsy

Quote:
Autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy (ADNFLE) is a rare epileptic disorder that causes frequent violent seizures during sleep.

Last edited by pine*: 05-09-2008 at 08:47 PM.
pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:

My High School friend died in one of those attacks 4 years ago.

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

The first list of reports are dead on IMO. Hopefully the same comes true for Maxpac and McDo.

05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Khabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
And I belive thats what you call pwnage..

Well not in the sense that its a bad Disease..

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Bang on for all of them. Except Higgins is one of the better skaters in the league. He has tremendous balance and acceleration. I think that's an area he's worked hard on. Too bad the same can't go for his finish.

Komisarek is pretty much living up to his billing, which is outstanding. We take it for granted but before him I can't remember a single first rounder besides Koivu that justified his potential.
I wouldn't say Higgins is one of the better skaters in the league, he isn't the best on his team.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Are you a doctor?? cause seriously thats what we heard..... the doctors said he was having seizures while he slept and noone in Russia had properly diagnosed this. They changed his medication and his nighttime seizures stopped.
I also read that he was so badly diagnosed that what they gave him over there was the equivalent of Aspirin or close to it.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I wouldn't say Higgins is one of the better skaters in the league, he isn't the best on his team.
I agree that is a slight exagaration, but like the report says. They expected him to be an above average skater, that I do agree with.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote