HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Good Deal For A Big Center

Old
05-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Good post,

If theres a player I wouldnt trade its Plekanec, I think hes showing more consistency than Higgins for the moment at least.

Personally, I'm interested in Jokinen, I'm ready to trade Higgins, but the value of those "change" assets are what makes it or breaks it for me.(The cost gotta be right.) I do have some reservations about Jokinen character myself, but Higgins is in that same 50-50 boat for me.

Jokinen-Koivu-SK
AK-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Chipchura-Lapierre (Smolinski was signed 1 year for a reason, chip even played plenty of NHL games at the beginning of the season)
Stewart-Begin-Kostopoulos

Markov-Komo
Hamrlik-Gorges
Bouillon-(Jokinen trade return?)
Brisebois
Just my 2 cents here, but if I was to trade a prospect for a top 6 forward, it would be Latendresse without any hesitation.

Why?

Because Latendresse will not be able to reach his potential as a bottom 6 player, but Higgins could. Moreover, Higgins is much more useful as a bottom 6 than Latendresse will ever be.

To be honest, I don't see many spots for Latendresse in the top 6, so he better get going soon, or he'll most likely become marginal to this team.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:51 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Just my 2 cents here, but if I was to trade a prospect for a top 6 forward, it would be Latendresse without any hesitation.

Why?

Because Latendresse will not be able to reach his potential as a bottom 6 player, but Higgins could. Moreover, Higgins is much more useful as a bottom 6 than Latendresse will ever be.

To be honest, I don't see many spots for Latendresse in the top 6, so he better get going soon, or he'll most likely become marginal to this team.
Sure, the problem, Latendresse doesnt give you a Jokinen, if it does, I'll do that in a heartbeat. Never was a fan of Lats, even if I see the potential in him, hes not my type of player.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Sure, the problem, Latendresse doesnt give you a Jokinen, if it does, I'll do that in a heartbeat. Never was a fan of Lats, even if I see the potential in him, hes not my type of player.
Well if you throw in O'byrne and a pick/prospect, it could become an interesting package for JM. I believe that Latendresse would fit pretty nicely in the Panthers system, and he would have a better shot at getting top 6 minutes right away.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:19 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
colossal overpayment.
colossal is a colossal word.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:25 AM
LesCanadiens

We need a gritty, big, skilled top line player. No doubt. Doesn`t have to be a center, IMO. But yes, that would be nice. Having said that, I`d prefer to package Plekanec if it were for a center.

I`d rather have 4 more years of Koivu than 10 more of the Plekanec I saw in the playoffs. He was everyones B out there. The pts are deceiving....he was pretty close to useless.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
We need a gritty, big, skilled top line player. No doubt. Doesn`t have to be a center, IMO. But yes, that would be nice. Having said that, I`d prefer to package Plekanec if it were for a center.

I`d rather have 4 more years of Koivu than 10 more of the Plekanec I saw in the playoffs. He was everyones B out there. The pts are deceiving....he was pretty close to useless.
What? He was one of the best players out there in the last 2 games... I'm a BIG Koivu fan but Plekanec is wayyy more important for the future and there's no way we trade him.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Maxpac

If we're able to sign Brunstrom then i have absolutely no objection to give Higgins away

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:56 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Well if you throw in O'byrne and a pick/prospect, it could become an interesting package for JM. I believe that Latendresse would fit pretty nicely in the Panthers system, and he would have a better shot at getting top 6 minutes right away.
It could if Latendresse was 2-3 years older, but currently, that makes the Panthers much less competitive in the short term and they can't afford that anymore with their fanbase.

Old
05-06-2008, 07:59 AM
SOLR

Quote:

Only his 2nd playoffs, he was pretty cold too(could have scored a lot but was stolen by Biron/thomas). I'm not sure Koivu got even 2 years in him at this point, I prefer managing as if we are loosing Koivu after next season to retirement.(Even if it wont happen)

Old
05-06-2008, 08:16 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Good idea, so two years down the road, when Koivu cant play the 2nd line C anymore... we get to watch Lapierre on our 2nd unit and 2nd PP

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I watched them all, and in terms of effort Higgins is possibly tops on the squad. End of story.

Some people simply look at goal production, and such a myopic view would lead one to think that this kind of lopsided trade is fair. But it's not.

In any case I doubt Higgins is going anywhere any time soon.
I find Higgins is a big inconsistant with his effort. When he is skating, hitting and using his speed he is much more effective. With more consistency he can be a 30 G 35-40 A 65-70 point guy

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
GoodKiwi

So, is Higgins this board's new Ryder?!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
So, is Higgins this board's new Ryder?!

Yes, I think you are right. Unfortinately Higgins is this board's new Ryder.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Joe Cole

I cannot think of a big talented centerman that is more likely to be moved to a team in our division.

A big impact center is what I think this team has needed for the past 10 years.

Jokkinen has the potential to be moved. Maybe Carter too, but I doubt a trade could be made. Teams just do not give up on big centers very often, it is that simple.

Either you draft them, or sign them as free agents.

So... maybe Sundin is more realistic... or maybe not.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:28 PM
LesCanadiens

Guys, don`t get me wrong. I really like Plekanec. I just didn`t see much in the way of heart and determination from him overall. All I`m saying is if we trade for a big center....I`d rather see an all skill no grit guy go the other way.

Koivu, although aged, still seems to have a lot of fight left in him. I don`t think 4 years is out of the question for him...and maybe Sergei Kost could replace Koivu at center down the road. He seems to love to pass the puck...if he learns the intricacies of being an NHL center (faceoffs, D resp.) as Koivu had to...he may end-up a Koivu clone down the road.

Higgins, although he too was not up to snuff...at least does have some potential in the grit area, and we can`t afford to lose guys with that...we need to add more, he also combines some offensive skill that may still have not reached it`s peak.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
05-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Guys, don`t get me wrong. I really like Plekanec. I just didn`t see much in the way of heart and determination from him overall. All I`m saying is if we trade for a big center....I`d rather see an all skill no grit guy go the other way.

Koivu, although aged, still seems to have a lot of fight left in him. I don`t think 4 years is out of the question for him...and maybe Sergei Kost could replace Koivu at center down the road. He seems to love to pass the puck...if he learns the intricacies of being an NHL center (faceoffs, D resp.) as Koivu had to...he may end-up a Koivu clone down the road.

Higgins, although he too was not up to snuff...at least does have some potential in the grit area, and we can`t afford to lose guys with that...we need to add more, he also combines some offensive skill that may still have not reached it`s peak. This elevation of his game coincided with the return of koivu. Just goes to show that you need two offensive centres at least.

Just my 2 cents.
i thought that over our last 7 games pleks was one of our better forwards.... His first six playoff games sucked... but i thought he showed up for the last couple against boston and the 5 philly games.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:45 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
i thought that over our last 7 games pleks was one of our better forwards.... His first six playoff games sucked... but i thought he showed up for the last couple against boston and the 5 philly games.
I just didn`t see it. I saw flashes of it...but what I saw for the most part was him losing the puck, getting knocked flat on his but...and losing almost every battle the rare few times he was along the wall.

All I`m saying, is we have lots of guys in his mold. It`s probably best to keep the bros together, no one will give us a good player for Grabs....and Koivu is exactly the type of guy I think important to keep a Hab so the young guys can have some guidance...and meanwhile he`s our best faceoff guy and can still contribute all-round.

In my mind, that leaves Plekanec. Other possibilities may be some of our unproven prospects....but a team like Fla. wants some immediate help I`m sure.