HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez and Drury: First Year

Old
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
While alot of money was spent last July, I loved the signings then and I still do now.

Gomez's numbers were comparable to the numbers he put up in New Jersey, so thankfully we avoided the typical statistics fallback from past free agents we signed....but even more than that, the guy always skates hard, he makes plays and if we can get him a good sniping right winger, he will be even better.

As for Drury, I think at times he pressed too hard to earn his money, and yeah he never came up with the big goal like he did in Buffalo last year, but with that said, the guy will be our captain..he's a leader on and off the ice, he does the little things and he's an all-around complete player. It NEVER hurts to have a Chris Drury on your team.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Seems like he'll give you so much at times, but you're not getting all of it out of him... he needs to forget his Debbie Days and Slats can help by getting him a sniper.
Gomez is the same player for the Rangers that he was with the Devils. He is a legit number 1 center but you don't want him to be the best player on your team. He always got off to a slow start then burned it up the second half of the year. His playoff performances were always good, even if the numbers didn't always back it up.

He carries the puck into the zone like the top five in the league. He beats the opposition the smart, safe way - he goes around them, not through them. He is a top notch playmaker. Hard worker, plays smart and a little gritty. He shoots like he has a wet noodle for a stick. This is what I saw for 7 years with the Devils, this is what I saw last year in just about every Ranger game I saw.

For $7 million, getting an asset like that is a sound move. The only risk is if that money against the cap prevents you from fielding a better team, like the Tampa Bay contracts hurt them.

Drury, you can get those characteristics for a lot cheaper. Plus, he is what, three or four years older than Gomez? But still, from what I saw the Rangers got the same Chris Drury that Buffalo and Colorado had so I guess they got exactly what they expected.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Maybe we got rid of Dupuis too quickly too. He was huge this series.
Well getting Alex Bourret is better for the future than having Dupuis, no ? I don't get how many people give credit to Dupuis, sure he's a 40pt scorer, good player. But heck, he's playing with Crosby and Hossa.. Same thing can be said about Malone. (Playing with the very , very good Evgeni Malkin.)

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I don't get u guys, everyone thought Holik was a ****** for what he got in a precap era and now Drury is worth his 7 mil? Gomez can hit 100 pts so I don't mind what he got. Drury we overpaid for because he had a great playoffs esp against us.

To sum it up, love Drury as a player, hate his cap hit. For 7 mil we could get a hell of a lot more dynamic player thats for sure.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I don't get u guys, everyone thought Holik was a ****** for what he got in a precap era and now Drury is worth his 7 mil? Gomez can hit 100 pts so I don't mind what he got. Drury we overpaid for because he had a great playoffs esp against us.

To sum it up, love Drury as a player, hate his cap hit. For 7 mil we could get a hell of a lot more dynamic player thats for sure.
the rangers have built their organization based on the way they are supposed to....down the middle....they have a great golatender....good young defence....and great centers(1-4).....drury gave them a guy who you can slot into any of the lines.....he wins faceoffs and battles no matter what....he is a leader and a born winner....he is the type of player any team wants their young players to learn from.....he is the prototypical team player with a huge amount of skill.....i, as many others, see drury as the captain whenever jagr leaves.....he has a great shot and he can move to wing.....he is extremely defensively responosible.....he drives hard to the net...he plays through injuries.....he will go tothe dirty areas to fight for pucks....he sticks up for teammates....he brings the team together no matter what happens......he has the experience of a player 10 years older than him.....

im sick of people crying over the contracts these guys got.....look at the FA's this season....look at them this season....when do players like scott gomez and chris drury hit the FA market.....barely ever...there is one high-end talent this year and it is hossa....and he will get probably 8.5 million.....he puts up points but is he worth all that?....IMO no......im happy sather signed these two guys as their personalities fit perfectly in with the team and they lead the team in the right direction...the direction the team shoul dbe moving....very good two-way players who arent afraid of the limelight...players who step up when it counts the most and young players will look up to.............

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:49 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
heres a wacky idea.

ready for it/

What if, they only signed one of those 2 guys, and kept Matt Cullen on the team?

Or, What if they signed neither of those players, and signed a guy like Robert Lang?

The point is, you pay guys what they are worth. If you cant get them at the right price, you let them walk.

The Devils did, and they still finished in the playoffs with a far worse team than we had.
You lost me at Robert Lang

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:01 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
You lost me at Robert Lang
Robert lang??

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Robert lang??
Robert Lang:
21 goals, 22 assists +9 on a non playoff team. Cap hit, 4 million for 2 years. Cost: $93,023/Point

Chris Drury:
25 goals, 33 assists -3 on a playoff team. Cap hit, 7.05 Million for 5 years. Cost: $121,551/Point

Scott Gomez:
16 goals, 54 assists, +3 on a playoff team. Cap hit, 7.357 Million for 7 years ( ). Cost: $105,100/Point

Come to your own conclusion.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:29 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Robert Lang:
21 goals, 22 assists +9 on a non playoff team. Cap hit, 4 million for 2 years. Cost: $93,023/Point

Chris Drury:
25 goals, 33 assists -3 on a playoff team. Cap hit, 7.05 Million for 5 years. Cost: $121,551/Point

Scott Gomez:
16 goals, 54 assists, +3 on a playoff team. Cap hit, 7.357 Million for 7 years ( ). Cost: $105,100/Point

Come to your own conclusion.

you have a headshake at the gomez contract yet you are fine with the drury contract? i dont understand.

gomez was our best player this year until jagr came alive, i also think that if we get someone to play with him then his numbers will improve further.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
you have a headshake at the gomez contract yet you are fine with the drury contract? i dont understand.

gomez was our best player this year until jagr came alive, i also think that if we get someone to play with him then his numbers will improve further.
Drury will be gone in 4 years. thats 2 years quicker than Gomez.

7 years is a loooooooong time.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I'm tired of defending these guys' contracts. They will prove themselves to the doubters one day when Captain Clutch hands the cup off to Gomez.

This "expected more points from them" is bs. they're hockey players, something I'm not so sure Marian Hossa or Brian Campbell are.. who some are upset that we might not have the money to pay them instead.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Drury will be gone in 4 years. thats 2 years quicker than Gomez.

7 years is a loooooooong time.
i agree it is long but gomez will only be 34 at the time when his contract ends, drury will be 36.i think

what are the chances drury see's out his contract? with the emergence of dubinsky and possibly anisimov in the next few years.

i am in no way saying we should trade drury because he in my opinion will be our next captain. i think that there will have to be some moves somewhere.

Last edited by z1co80: 05-06-2008 at 07:47 AM.
z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:14 AM
bumrusherer

Loved the signings back then and love them now.

What hurt us was that our 3 top wings ( Jagr, Shanny, Straka ) all started to show clear signs of age during the reg season which didnt allow for Gomer and Dru to have the type of year that we hoped they could have.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote