HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you guys become Habs fans?

Old
05-05-2008, 08:32 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
How? : I was born.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Nobak

Got into hockey when I ran into the 92 Penguins' playoff run on tv (I was 7 at the time, born late 84). They were my favorite team for a short while. My favorite player was Kevin Stevens for that while.

In 92-93, I got into both the Habs and Nordiques. Sadly, I wanted the Nordiques to win more. To my defense, it was mostly because I saw how much the Nordiques had sucked in the previous years and felt sorry for them. I attended game 3 of the first round in 93. Yes, I was rooting for Quebec But that didn't stop me from starting an undefeated streak for the Habs when I'm there. I don't know how many games I've attended, but that streak is still unbroken in my life.

I continued liking both teams until the move to Colorado, where I thankfully became a fulltime Habs fan. I grew up without cable, though, and I didn't become a really avid fan until I got RDS at the beginning of the 2003-04 season.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
hosehead

Family moved from Montreal to Toronto in '79. Guys my dad worked with brought programs from games at the Forum they went to on the weekends & gave them to me. I was only little but I figured out Lafleur & Robinson & the Habs were a helluva lot better than Sittler & Salming & the Laffs . Really got into it during the Cup run in '86 & being a Habs fan has never been in doubt.

hosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Born in Montreal. My dad watched hockey a lot and was a Habs fan. Self explanatory. Moved to Toronto, when I was 10. Leafs and their fans seemed to just make me love the Habs even more.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
le_sean

I killed a random couple and ate their souls. They were Habs fans and I guess I inherited that part.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

My parents both told me very sternly when i was four that

Canadiens = Good. (here, have a cookie while youre cheering the Habs)

Maple Leafs = BAAAD (no desert and go to your room)

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I killed a random couple and ate their souls. They were Habs fans and I guess I inherited that part.
Did you eat their baby? Habs fans eat babies.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Did you eat their baby? Habs fans eat babies.
Then I guess they had already eaten it.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM
BigM

Starting in the 60's I was a Frank Mahovlich fan...so I started as a Leaf fan till 67 (and cursed them when they traded him), then a Red Wings fan to 71, and finally came to rest permanently as a Habs fan when he joined the Habs and contributed mightily to the 71 Cup. Although even in the 60's I liked the Habs, especially Ralph Backstrom.

BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:16 AM
ari1160

when i first came to canada, and started to make new friends everyone was into hockey.. so i became crazy for the habs with in few months.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:22 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

I have absolutely no clue how I have become a fan.

Noone in my family is a habs fan.

Noone is really huge into hockey, but I have made the habs a passion of mine.

I have been a fan since 95, and lately have made my dad into a little bit of a fan.

I remember when I was 8, my mom bought me a really expensive leafs winter coat, and I refused to try it on or even touch it. I made her return it.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:46 AM
dosmaster

Send a message via MSN to dosmaster
I came from Sri Lanka at the age of 6 in 1985 and came to Toronto. My cousin had gone to Montreal a year before. When they came to Toronto sometime around '86 I just cheered for the Habs as I didn't know otherwise and to this day I still bleed Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

One of the many people to watch RDS in Toronto!!!

dosmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Form and Substance

Although my first concrete memories are of the 92-93 cup season (I remember watching us get beat 5-2 against by Washington and feeling nothing, a calming sensation soothed me and told me that all would be well in a few months...eerie), but I've been drawn to the habs since the age of 2, as a gifted toddler, I used to react whenever I saw Stephane Richer with the puck. That was in 1989, so I guess I've been a fan for nearly 20 years now. The romance never ends.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:08 AM
peperebougon*

I looked and listened to a bruins fan...

I said to myself what a bunch of whiners. All Ruins fan whine all the time. They even run into other teams boards by hundreds to whine and try to discredit us. Yet Ryder became a good player now that the Ruins will try to sign him. He is not the most useless 30 goal scorer anymore. I've not read a post in their Ryder thread saying a bad thing about ryder. What a bunch of whiny losers. It'd be fun to see what they would think about Komi and cie if they became available???

Every time I check a thread on the main board too... There always a ruins fan crying. The habs are this, the habs are that, the habs dive, Komi is a wuss etc... They are the only fanbase to do that kind of stuff.

Last edited by peperebougon*: 05-06-2008 at 02:15 AM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:18 AM
LesCanadiens

Being a young kid living in Kitimat BC in the `60`s....you were most likely either a Leaf or Hab fan. Dad loved the Habs....so maybe it started there.

Loved all the colorful players with the colorful names...Beliveau, Cournoyer, Richard, Rousseau, Laperriere, Lemaire, JC Trembay etc, etc.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Loop25

I am from Moscow, Russia. In september 1990 two NHL teams - Montreal Canadiens and Minnesota Nord Stars (currently Dallas) was in tour in USSR. Since that time I am fan of Montreal and Mike Modano too

Loop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:07 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Was watching the saturday night hockey in french with the father (a Nordiques fan) when I was really young. I remember watching the 93 Stanley Cup but not that much since I was only 9.

Was the Nordiques on TV as much as the Habs in Quebec Province in 1993-94?

But I was definitively following the Habs in the 1994-95 season because they traded Muller, Schneider, Desjardins & Leclair that year...

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:14 AM
suprez

I'm 28 (Born 9 october 1979)

My childhood was on a little village of 2000 habitants in Quebec . We had only 1 channel and that channel was Radio-Canada .
Outside of saturday cartoon and *la soire du hockey molson* there was not much to watch.Outside of hockey and cartoon the saturday morning , i was outside playing hockey .So i grew up has a habsfan.My favorite player was Mario lemieux (He was not with the habs but he was french so for me it's was the same )

I remember most of my friend would wear a Gretzy Jersey .Me i was Lemieux and them Wayne Gretzy!!! Oh man memory!
Or Ed Bedfour vs Patrick Roy.

In 93 when they won the cup when i was 14 Years old.MAn it's was such a day! THe Riot etc.I remember i would call all my friend and ask them

WHICH'S THE BEST? BEDFOUR OR ROY?

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:18 AM
sandman08

i immigrated to halifax from india back in 81 at the ripe age of a year and a half, my cousin played street hockey a bit and worked hard at teaching me english. Beyond that hockey and me didnt really exist till about 84-85 or so when i was in pre-school and all the cool kids tucked their shirts on one side, i followed suit and shortly became an oilers and gretzky fan, in fact, i have a gretzky lunch box in my folks home in florida to this day, my dad said he was gonna "toss out the junk" my mom glared at him for me haha.. anyways a few years later thanks to the exploits of some kid named patrick roy, the habs won the cup and i found out that *gasp* the mystical city of montreal* has a team! after that, the habs became my team and nothing has changed that since, although i still do have a soft spot for the oilers.

*when we moved to canada, we stayed with my aunt and uncle for the first year or so, they have 2 sons who are 17 and 10 years older than me respectively and the older one attended mcgill while the other one aspired to attend mcgill, for me montreal was this amazing city that i heard so much about, my older cousin even bought me a mcgill shirt that i loved and wore all the time as a kid. so when i found out this amazing city had a hockey team, i just had to become a fan haha

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
I have absolutely no clue how I have become a fan.

Noone in my family is a habs fan.

Noone is really huge into hockey, but I have made the habs a passion of mine.

I have been a fan since 95, and lately have made my dad into a little bit of a fan.

I remember when I was 8, my mom bought me a really expensive leafs winter coat, and I refused to try it on or even touch it. I made her return it.
atta boy!!

I got leafs shorts once. You know that cheap aunt that gets clothes from the local k-mart where they have crappy leafs/habs clothing? Well, I had one of those aunts. God, they were ugly and cheap shorts and they made me hate the leafs even more.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I didn't grow up here but I spent most of my summers in Montreal. One summer we were here early for family reasons and the city was going absolutely nuts... Ca sentait la Coupe partout. My ten-year-old brain decided right then that "this team must be the best." I don't even think I knew what hockey was, but it was everywhere. It was 1993. From then on, there was no convincing me anyone but the Habs were the best. That was it for me.
I moved here permanently in 2001 and started watching hockey games on and off with my cousins. Then this guy took me to my first hockey game on a date. Saku's comeback game.
Where ya from?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
mcphee

IN my 3 or 4 year old mind, anything that excited my Father the way that hockey did, must be an important part of life. I'm 52 and the only thing we've consistently agreed on or even had in common was our love of the CH. It probably kept me from getting kicked out a few times and in his declining years, it's about all we have to talk about. Well that and how weird my brother is.

Whenever life's stresses seem to be too ominpresent, I can retreat into figuring out who they should trade for, project point totals for their wingers next year, put together lines etc. Beats drugs.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
RE-HABS

Pretty much brain washed by my Dad...everything I had was Montreal Canadiens from PJ's, Robe, hockey bag, shirts and you name it...he even had me wearing #9 because of the Rocket when I played as a kid...but when I got older I went to #26 for Mats Naslund, my favorite alltime Hab player.

Now I'm doing the same to my son...he doesn't have to be a Hab fan, but he can never be a Leaf fan!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
IN my 3 or 4 year old mind, anything that excited my Father the way that hockey did, must be an important part of life. I'm 52 and the only thing we've consistently agreed on or even had in common was our love of the CH. It probably kept me from getting kicked out a few times and in his declining years, it's about all we have to talk about. Well that and how weird my brother is.

Whenever life's stresses seem to be too ominpresent, I can retreat into figuring out who they should trade for, project point totals for their wingers next year, put together lines etc. Beats drugs.
Great post Phees' (you don't mind my calling you that now, do you?). Although, what can be more stressfull than waiting for Hossa for weeks only to find out that Huet was traded instead?

I had to turn to heavy, unrealistic work loads and deadlines and spousal arguments to run away from that stress.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:58 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Great post Phees' (you don't mind my calling you that now, do you?). Although, what can be more stressfull than waiting for Hossa for weeks only to find out that Huet was traded instead?

I had to turn to heavy, unrealistic work loads and deadlines and spousal arguments to run away from that stress.
True,it's a sad day when you have to ask your spouse if she wants to talk about 'just stuff' to get away from the stress of the Hossa saga.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote