HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CKAC Sports blames Koivu for playoff exit.

Old
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
+1.

Every time one french speaking sports personnality makes one comment people don't like, some people here assume every french speaking individual in Quebec agrees with him. The ridiculous overreactions and generalizations on this board are extremely tiring.

We're all Habs fans. We all want the team to win. Though not everyone can agree. Just chill out people. If you don't like what you read, then stop reading. Or listening.
Well, that's the thing, It happens like every week.
Francois Gagnon is one of the most respected journalist covering the Habs. He usually brings good articles, but before the season started he placed the habs around 13th-14th, halfway through the season he was still saying Habs won't make the POs. The Habs finished 1st in East,just got eliminated 2days ago and not because they didn't play well(seeing as we dominated the Flyers) but more so because of weak-ordinary goaltending.

Kovalev played all season with Koivu in the line up, he is the big part of why we did finish 1st, averaging a pt/Game ratio, he kept the same pace during the POs.
Koivu had an average/decent reg season but did what he always does during POs and played harder than ever, getting 9pts in 7GP.

Some players are not fit to play together and some people just won't be friends. That doesn't mean they can't share a dressing room and they hate each other.

But Point is, we exceeded all expectations this season, and by far. Yet, 2days after the end of our season, all this ''respected'' journalist can think of writing about is the supposed beef between Koivu-Kovy.
To top it off, he brings no proof behind that ''beef''.
Like at a certain point, enough with the criticism..

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-05-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Corey

The Habs wouldn't have had so much trouble with the Bruins if Koivu had been available from game 1. IMO the unnecessary prolongation of that series to 7 games clued the Flyers in on what they had to do to beat the Habs in the next series.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
MM425

Thankfully, CKAC's vendetta on Koivu is so childish and absurd even the most thick Habs fan would be able to see it for the garbage that it is.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post

Listen...François Gagnon used to be the best. But since the Kovalev story last season he's been on a vendetta against Kovalev. He wanted to trade him at the deadline for crying out loud. Now the season is barely over that he starts all over gain? C'est pas parceque' c'est d'la merde Québécoise que c'est pas d'la merde sacrament.

And *** is the thing about everyone thinking every Québécois agrees with what's in the media? Are you paranoid? If I say La Presse and CKAC are letting out crap it means I think all Québécois are like that? Give me a break...

If they can crap on Koivu and Kovalev why should they be immune to the same treatment? If you want to go soak in a pile of crap...then fine. But I wont.

If you never ask for accountability and professionalism you'll never get it.
Saying every Québécois agrees with everything sports personnalities say was over the top. But so is saying that Gagnon or whoever have a "vendetta" against Kovalev. From what I've been reading, the coverage of Koivu, Kovalev and the end of the season has been generally positive and balanced. Sure, there are a couple of idiots, but all in all it's been good. Some people will always criticize and you'll always find people you don't agree with but hey that's life.

But again in this thread I've seen people (not pointing to you, I'm speaking in general) make derogatory remarks about the "french" media, and that's what gets me ticking. When you people do that they single out an entire group of people based on the language they speak. That language also happens to be my native language and the language of the majority of the Habs' fanbase. To me saying that is assuming everything that's written or said about the Canadiens in french is crap. Has there been unfortunate stuff that's been written or said? Absolutely. But it's like 1% of the huge media exposure of the Habs.

When I read something I don't agree with, I don't come running here to complain about it. The thing is people only post the bad stuff here. So it seems likely to me a lot of people will just assume that it's like that all the time. And that's obviously not the case.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Yeah, I heard this interview.

They never cease to amaze me... In a bad way.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Markov shirt says it all

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post

Markov shirt says it all
He was just back from Philadelphia, thats where he got that shirt!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
He was just back from Philadelphia, thats where he got that shirt!
I bet you it had a certain significance to him.

OT: Carey quote:

How long do you plan on staying in Mexico? " Until whenever they kick us out "

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Anderson View Post
Do those guys even understand what the french media is saying? I'm genuinely curious about this, why would the french media be a problem to people who's only phrase they can say is voulez-vous coucher avec moi.
I'm always astounded how American posters like you are smarter than Canadian ones.

Seriously, hating the haters like Michel Bergeron is falling into their trap. Bergie is the kind of guy when he was in the Nords that asked for Jeff Brown to be traded because he didn'T like his smile. He's been on Begin's case all year just because Begin said he didn't watch sports news and didn't read the press. When Begin got that penalty against the Flyers let me tell you there were almost pitchfork and torchs ready, tonight he said "that's his fault that the Habs got eliminated".

The best is making your own opinion and not putting everyone in the same basket.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:08 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'm always astounded how American posters like you are smarter than Canadian ones.

Seriously, hating the haters like Michel Bergeron is falling into their trap. Bergie is the kind of guy when he was in the Nords that asked for Jeff Brown to be traded because he didn'T like his smile. He's been on Begin's case all year just because Begin said he didn't watch sports news and didn't read the press. When Begin got that penalty against the Flyers let me tell you there were almost pitchfork and torchs ready, tonight he said "that's his fault that the Habs got eliminated".

The best is making your own opinion and not putting everyone in the same basket.
I don't watch/listen to Bergeron because he has nothing to say that informs/interests me. Same with Cherry, some like his act, I don't. I used to like Fournier because he seemed like a good guy playing a character, it seems like it's all character now so I don't pay much attn. Stock plays a character or pushes an agenda, not sure which, but it doesn't entertain me that much.

I agree with you. A media personality needs reaction. He needs to be talked about whether in anger,support,outrage. I enjoy the morning show on the Team, nice balance to the opinions without phony outrage, and I like Melnick's show because there's intelligence mixed with some humour. I watch some RDS stuff for some analysis, but why watch something to make my blood boil ? I've got a family for that.

You can add me to the group that is fed up with poster comments about 'typical French media' everytime there are commnets that don't support our favourites. I've read enough angry posts that completely misinterpret what was said that I never believe this stuff until I get more context.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I watch some RDS stuff for some analysis, but why watch something to make my blood boil ? I've got a family for that.

You can add me to the group that is fed up with poster comments about 'typical French media' everytime there are commnets that don't support our favourites. I've read enough angry posts that completely misinterpret what was said that I never believe this stuff until I get more context.
Agreed. I will never watch 110% because it then skews all other french media commentary. You do need to censure some of the noise to get a proper message.

I forced myself to watch La Zone last night expecting the worse. What I saw was fair commentary with a touch of baiting, but not much. Overall fair assessment of the team, the series and performance given the level of disappointment.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Agreed. I will never watch 110% because it then skews all other french media commentary. You do need to censure some of the noise to get a proper message.

I forced myself to watch La Zone last night expecting the worse. What I saw was fair commentary with a touch of baiting, but not much. Overall fair assessment of the team, the series and performance given the level of disappointment.
I've seen that a few times, and overall, I think they do a good job of having diverse opinions and enough intelligence to treat the extreme stuff for what it is.

To be honest though, I can't watch sports talk that late, I tend to doze off. If I can, at 5.30, I've watched thatradio simulcast from Toronto, the one with Bob McKeon, and Brunt a few times lately. If I'm cooking, I'll try and catch McGuire's bit, then switch that on. It's not that Toronto centric and the level of conversation's good. I don't have it on often but i can be good , they have a pretty articulate group at times.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Habnot

Quote:
I've seen that a few times, and overall, I think they do a good job of having diverse opinions and enough intelligence to treat the extreme stuff for what it is.

To be honest though, I can't watch sports talk that late, I tend to doze off. If I can, at 5.30, I've watched thatradio simulcast from Toronto, the one with Bob McKeon, and Brunt a few times lately. If I'm cooking, I'll try and catch McGuire's bit, then switch that on. It's not that Toronto centric and the level of conversation's good. I don't have it on often but i can be good , they have a pretty articulate group at times.
The is no one better in Canadian sports journalism (print/radio) than Brunt. In the 7 years I spent in Toronto, Prime Time Sports drove me home many afternoons. I listen when I can.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
The is no one better in Canadian sports journalism (print/radio) than Brunt. In the 7 years I spent in Toronto, Prime Time Sports drove me home many afternoons. I listen when I can.
I agree. He writes well, leaves his ego out of it. Has some fun with it. Doesn't pass himself off as an expert.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Habnot

Quote:
I agree. He writes well, leaves his ego out of it. Has some fun with it. Doesn't pass himself off as an expert.
Do yourself a favor. Pick up Searching for Bobby Orr written by Brunt. Great reading, brings us back to a different era of hockey.

Not in the Ball Four or The Game category of sports books but one of the recent best.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Do yourself a favor. Pick up Searching for Bobby Orr written by Brunt. Great reading, brings us back to a different era of hockey.

Not in the Ball Four or The Game category of sports books but one of the recent best.
I have it. I also have the book he wrote about opponents of Ali, 'Facing Ali'.

I like how he took an interesting angle on Orr. It wasn't set in Boston, where Orr's obviously a hero, just a perspective on how no one really knows much about Orr, how he's manged his public image. He did it without making it a hatchet job.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:51 AM
habfan4

“Koivu is to blame” - That’s one hell of a detailed post mortem by CKAC and Bergeron.

How hard would it have been to come up with a plausible and meaningful evaluation of the team’s shortcomings? Need more size, some forwards were reluctant to pay the price in front of the net, the key guys on defense didn’t step up, goaltending was sub par in the 2nd round etc… etc… etc… At a minimum these guys are lazy and unimaginative.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
skipp18

I generally cant stand to listen to PJ Stock. He has nothing to say, and can barely speak the English language even when its his mother tongue but...
He said something yesterday that was awesome, that before the playoffs Koivu told him " whn the playoffs are over, the blame will fall on hmslef (Koivu) or Kovalev.

It actually says alot about Saku- he really undertands how the media works in Montreal, accepts that this is the way things are and is pretty good at dealing with it.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp18 View Post
I generally cant stand to listen to PJ Stock. He has nothing to say, and can barely speak the English language even when its his mother tongue but...
He said something yesterday that was awesome, that before the playoffs Koivu told him " whn the playoffs are over, the blame will fall on hmslef (Koivu) or Kovalev.

It actually says alot about Saku- he really undertands how the media works in Montreal, accepts that this is the way things are and is pretty good at dealing with it.
Good. It must mean he is immune to their best efforts.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
skipp18

Cant wait for Gainey's press cnoference today. How many minutes in will it take for a writter who hasnt watched a game all year to ask Gainey why the Captain of the Montreal Canadiens doesnt speak french.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp18 View Post
Cant wait for Gainey's press cnoference today. How many minutes in will it take for a writter who hasnt watched a game all year to ask Gainey why the Captain of the Montreal Canadiens doesnt speak french.
Who's going to be carrying it?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Anderson View Post
I don't want to defend them, since I have a hard time agreeing with what they're saying.

But basically all of them, with few exceptions, have plugs in the locker room with some players, and not only french ones. Some speak more than others and the guys reporting/distorting/whatever the information only give out a fraction of what they know.

Now, this means it not only goes through two biased sources but everyone interprets things their own way, which isn't always close to reality.

Personally, I take what they say with a grain of salt, but I don't agree with people who think they don't have a clue what's going on in the locker.
If they have "plugs" in the locker room, name them. If they have information, back it up. Then no problem. Otherwise, it is just "des paroles dans l'air" and should be pre-faced as such EVERYTIME they state them.

i.e. "I have no proof what so ever, but I think that X" <--- No problem with that.

State how they are facts and that they can be verified, or say that this is simply my opinion and my speculation only.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
If they have "plugs" in the locker room, name them. If they have information, back it up. Then no problem. Otherwise, it is just "des paroles dans l'air" and should be pre-faced as such EVERYTIME they state them.

i.e. "I have no proof what so ever, but I think that X" <--- No problem with that.

State how they are facts and that they can be verified, or say that this is simply my opinion and my speculation only.
You just reminded me of something I heard last week when Ryder's paper airplanes were a topic. Marinaro mentionned that it would be nice if players cared as much as the fans, he went on to mention A.Kostitsyn chatting on his phone while sitting on egame, he's spoken before about players going out, happy go lucky after a loss.

I think there's too much fan boy in media, the advent of bloggers makes the line between media and fan pretty thin. We really have no idea how players should react and to have this image that they should put on a somber face in the press box, or not enjoy dinner after a loss is kid stuff.

There are a lot of people working in media in Mtl, and being close to the team doesn't make them experts.

Old
05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Bergeron kinda cooled down his statement saying that he's not necessarily saying that Koivu was to blame but that maybe it was time for him to go, something that could even be profitable for him as well. Said that Peter Stastny at one point came to his office and ask for a fresh start as well, he's then wondering if it's not possible for Koivu to do the same.

His point is mostly that despite playing with Johan Witehall, Éric Landry, Éric Houde or Juha Lind (I'm the one saying names, he didn't but you get the point), he never was able to upgrade their play and that since everything seemed to turn around him, clearly it shouldn't. But then if you don't use him as a catalyst, how will he take that? Can you easily pushed him off the 1st PP? Could you give your captain less icetime and how will he take it?

That's his take.

Not defending him, 'cause Bergeron has said numerous, numerous stupidities in the past, in the present and will in the future.

But even if your answer is "of course he has to stay", I think it's a question that could be asked. Now, how your answer it is totally up to you.

For the record....my answer is.....OF COURSE HE HAS TO STAY.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post

I'm not saying the information or opinions are unbiased. I think it's mostly distorted, but wouldn't you agree naming the source of information would be a bad idea for both them? The reason they do have those sources is precisely because they don't go on record.

Say Latendresse or Ryder is the one who told Gagnon how he thinks Koivu is a poor leader. Gagnon goes public with it, don't you see how this would be bad for everyone?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote