HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your preference for next year?

View Poll Results: Which is your preference?
Reload. Sign a new elite player or 2, get a few complimentary pieces, and go go go! 35 30.70%
Try to bring back basically the same team, with a few minor tweaks here and there. 41 35.96%
Let all or most of the FA walk, and implement more kids from HFD to accelerate the rebuild. 30 26.32%
Something else (post below) 8 7.02%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm really not sure there are two elite players to sign.
And that is the problem.

If they are there, for the right price, gobble them up. But there will most likely be a bidding war for Hossa and Campbell and you really dont want to get into that because you busted the bank last July.

I really dont want to sign Hossa anyway, Campbell definitely if you can get him.

I think this offseason Sather is going to have to get creative and trade guys like Prucha and Tyutin for bigger wingers, grit on the backline, and possibly a scorer if you can get them. Trade for guys with 1 or 2 years left on their contracts. Some teams might be willing to let some pieces go, especially if they are due for FA the following year.

Problem is we don't usually see Sather get creative, and he doesnt go out of his comfort zone. We always see him dealing with the same teams.

This is going to be a hard working summer for Slats. I'm worried hes going to make some questionable or "easy way out" decisions, especially if he can't get Jagr to sign. We might see him overpay for a few players, including Avery and Rozsival (please, no!) which is not good for the future of this team.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:11 AM
NYROrtsFan

Campbell is just so bad in his own zone though at times. It really can be rough to watch. I'd personally want someone like Redden more. Redden is off of a down year which helps his price and the guy isn't finished. Redden would play off of someone like Staal very well and just has a good feel for it. He also has a fine feel on the powerplay and would help there as well.

The three defenseman I would be interested in for different reasons are:

Redden
Jason Smith
Orpik

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'll throw a name out there: Bobby Holik. Allows Drury to move to wing. Adds size and grit to the team. Matches up against Crosby.

Off the top of my head:

Ryder/UFA-Dubi-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Drury
Avery-Holik-Callahan
Korpikoski-Betts-Sjostrom

05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
eco's bones

Of the current Ranger UFA's the only ones I would be interested in bringing back are Jagr, Avery and Roszival though I could be argued into Mara if he were to take a pay cut. Relative value I would place on them Jagr 6.5-7 for no more than 2 years. Avery 4 for around 3 years. Roszival no more than 3.5 for 2 years. Mara in the 2 mil range for 2 years.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Fletch

You really through a name out there, Singn'...

hasn't Holik been on the decline somewhat? I'm afraid a big centerman like that may drop off pretty quickly. Of course if you're talking about $2.5MM or so for a third line centerman, then I may listen, but on the flip side, I don't think I watched him enough this season to pass judgement.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:13 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I'll throw a name out there: Bobby Holik. Allows Drury to move to wing. Adds size and grit to the team. Matches up against Crosby.

Off the top of my head:

Ryder/UFA-Dubi-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Drury
Avery-Holik-Callahan
Korpikoski-Betts-Sjostrom
nedved is playing europe lets sign him. holik stunk here once b4, what makes ya think he wont again??? id rather bring rucchin out of retirement than sign holik. but seriously we dont need a centre. we need some size. malone would be a good fit.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
NY Ranger86

re-load. as long as Jagr is apart of the re-loading

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
nedved is playing europe lets sign him. holik stunk here once b4, what makes ya think he wont again??? id rather bring rucchin out of retirement than sign holik. but seriously we dont need a centre. we need some size. malone would be a good fit.
Nedved does not address a need.

Holik did not stink here (funny how you like to claim that everyone either stinks or is crap) He used incorrectly and vastly overpriced. And he really is not as effective as when's he's not on a winning team. And if you read Brooks on Sunday, you would know that Holik has had nothing but classy things to say about the Rangers. Think he wouldn't want to come back and take another shot at the Cup.

Holik adds size. He adds grit. He adds toughness. And he is a guy you can still put up against other team's top line centers (which is how he should have been used in the first place — not centering Eric Lindros) And while he's a center, it gives the Rangers the opportunity to move Drury to the Wing.

It was an outside the box solution. But who needs that when Matt Cooke is out there — or whoever your flavor of the week is.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:56 PM
GarretJoseph*

I'd go with a few tweaks.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Fletch

Singn'

I fully agree with you regarding Holik not being used properly here - as Sather seemed to put anybody anywhere expecting them to be successful because of what he paid them (and I'm not sure Holik should be crucified because of what Sather decided to give him - our expectations shouldn't exceed what we knew of him from the Devils in the role he played). My only hesistation is he's 37/38 now and when does the big body begin to break down from all the wear and tear.

Old
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I fully agree with you regarding Holik not being used properly here - as Sather seemed to put anybody anywhere expecting them to be successful because of what he paid them (and I'm not sure Holik should be crucified because of what Sather decided to give him - our expectations shouldn't exceed what we knew of him from the Devils in the role he played). My only hesistation is he's 37/38 now and when does the big body begin to break down from all the wear and tear.
I'm not saying its my first choice. But I do think it's an interesting option. Especially if the mindset is making another run at it next season (e.g. Jagr comes back). But he has played 82 games the last two seasons.

Old
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Fletch

I hear you...

it definitely is interesting and does create more size down the middle. I just don't know what it would take and how much he has left in the tank (as I mentioned, I didn't get to watch him much this season).

Of course on the other side, if Jagr is resigned and a guy like Rolston takes Shanny's place, that could be a bit additive too, but this team may need to get bigger.

Old
05-06-2008, 02:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it definitely is interesting and does create more size down the middle. I just don't know what it would take and how much he has left in the tank (as I mentioned, I didn't get to watch him much this season).

Of course on the other side, if Jagr is resigned and a guy like Rolston takes Shanny's place, that could be a bit additive too, but this team may need to get bigger.
Rolston would be my first choice. I just think he'll cost more (and probably want more years) than Holik would. I also liked the chemistry between Drury and Gomez.

Old
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
free0717

I chose option 3, go with the Yutes, see what we have, get near the floor, get in the Tavares Sweeps. We need a top end young superstar and being a lottery team is the only way to get one of these prizes.

I think option 1 or 2 is what the team will go to. As bad as the Knicks are there is no way Dolan wants both of his teams out of the Playoffs.

I think Dolan would be happy to have a year like this(win one round) consistantly every year.

By Drafting well but in the last third of the first round, and tweeking using the FA market, we could probably stay in this mode which is a hell of alot better than what happened between 98 to 04. I think Dolan would be happy with a Modern Day St. Louis Blues who made the Playoffs 23 straight years.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:27 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Rolston would be my first choice. I just think he'll cost more (and probably want more years) than Holik would. I also liked the chemistry between Drury and Gomez.
That's a very good point. I think a line with Drury and Gomez would be real good, they seemed to play very well together all year. Even have Drury take the faceoffs sometimes. Holik is a very outside the box solution, but I really like it actually. The line-up you posted with Holik looks a lot stronger than any other I've seen with a bunch of young guys or Hossa or whoever. I think center's are like defensive ends in football, you can never have too many. We would have 5 quality centers, all good at faceoffs too nonetheless. I would take Holik for 3 million or so. Good call Singn'.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Let Shanny and Straka go whether its through retirement or FA.

Sign Brian Rolston and Jeremy Roenick for veteran leadership with Rolston playing with Gomez and Callahan. Both of these guys may be older but they can both play still. They can skate, hit, play defense and Rolston has that shot which is still very good. Roenick brings good defense, physicality, leadership and can still skate faster than many guys on the team right now. He was absolutely stellar in the playoffs for the Sharks and can be here. Put him on a line with Dubinsky and Avery and that is a very good checking line.

On defense. Let Rozy and Malik go and also try to get rid of backman. Resign Mara. Sign 2 guys.

-Brad Stuart- Physical Dman that the Rangers have been missing. Will clear front of Henrik and provide some physical punch on the back end.

JM Liles- Good young Dman who has some offensive prowess and is a decent defender. He would add some speed on the blue line that would be great to have.

thats what i think....fire away (gona get flamed on Roenick again, i know it)

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
chosen

With Roenick and Campbell, San Jose was the same disappointment as in seemingly every other season. Roenick is the day before yesterday's news and Campbell will be insanely overpriced and is insanely overrated, so I wouldn't bother with him.

I don't see any offensive defensemen who would make a huge difference, so just get a couple of solid defenders and hope that something else comes along sooner than later.

Throw in one winger who can get 30 goals if put in the right spot, preferably a larger fellow who isn't afraid to go into the corners. I wish we could have gotten Ladd last year since he was available. He is the type this team could really use. Strong, young and a potential scoring threat down the road. I love how the Black Hawks are taking form. Next year they figure to be vastly improved. Hell, I wish we could draft a Lucic type. I like that kid, too.

If it's going to be Rolston, I hope it isn't for more than 2 years at his age. I don't want Ryder unless he comes dirt cheap.

Last edited by chosen: 05-06-2008 at 02:58 PM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
free0717

Quote:
I'm really not sure there are two elite players to sign.
Hossa and Campbell are Elite Players. Jags,Straka,malik, rosey, mara, shanny gone.

Backman waived.

Prucha traded to St Louis for the third Round pick we gave up for Backman.

Fill the rest of the Holes with Yutes.

3rd Pair Dmen Baranka and Harry Potter

3rd line wings, Sjostrom and Korpi

4th line Wings Byers and jessiman

Lots of youth. Hossa will score 45 goals with Gomer as his Center

Dawes, Cally and Avery will score 20+ Goals. Drury Close to 30.

3rd line will combine for 50 goals and 4th line will score 25 goals

Defense will score 20 goals.

Recap 1st line 80 goals, 2nd line 70 goals, 3rd line 50 goals, 4th line 25 goals
defense 20 Goals for a total of 245 goals. giving up 193 like this past year which will give us a goal differential of 52. We should challenge for first.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Hossa and Campbell are Elite Players. Jags,Straka,malik, rosey, mara, shanny gone.

Backman waived.

Prucha traded to St Louis for the third Round pick we gave up for Backman.

Fill the rest of the Holes with Yutes.

3rd Pair Dmen Baranka and Harry Potter

3rd line wings, Sjostrom and Korpi

4th line Wings Byers and jessiman

Lots of youth. Hossa will score 45 goals with Gomer as his Center

Dawes, Cally and Avery will score 20+ Goals. Drury Close to 30.

3rd line will combine for 50 goals and 4th line will score 25 goals

Defense will score 20 goals.

Recap 1st line 80 goals, 2nd line 70 goals, 3rd line 50 goals, 4th line 25 goals
defense 20 Goals for a total of 245 goals. giving up 193 like this past year which will give us a goal differential of 52. We should challenge for first.
I don't see Campbell as an elite player.

Harry Potter?

Old
05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
i saw we stay the same but maybe a few tweeks. Maybe a veteran defensemen.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Celestial Black

Pick up a shutdown defense men. Trade for Joel Lundqvist (use Pru, Backman, Dawes etc) Resign Struds, Vally, and Mara is he takes 2m. Resign Avery. Resign Jagr and maybe Straka if money is right. Let Rozi, Malik, and Shanny walk. Bring up some other players and give them a shot.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:23 PM
NYR Viper

sign:
ryder/hagman
hossa(if jagr leaves)
orpik

trade for:
pitkanan

trade away:
tyutin
prucha
hollweg
whoever else it takes to get the two players above

try to resign:
avery
jagr

jagr-dubi-avery
dawes-gomez-ryder/hagman
callahan-drury-sjostrom
byers-betts-orr

staal-pitkanen
orpik-girardi
backman-potter/baranka

hank
vally

if jagr leaves:

ryder/hagman-gomez-hossa
dawes-drury-avery
callahan-dubinsky-sjotrom
byers/jessiman-betts-orr

same defence.......thats a lot of FA's and moves....i would be happy with 1 or two moves and filling the rest with yutes

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
SouvenirCity

I think we should tweak the lineup by doing a little bit of each of the options.

My dream lineup would be as follows:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Rolston
Korpedo - Drury - Callahan
Jessiman - Betts - Sjostrom
Prucha & Orr

Staal - Orpik
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - Backman
Hutchinson

Hank
Vally

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:58 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think, if they are still here, it might not be a bad idea to consider breaking up the Tyutin-Girardi pairing. At least explore other options.

Old
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Fletch

I think the pairing...

would work well together if they're not facing top competition.