HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: fined (need some advice)

Old
05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Balk
Healthy Scratch

vCash: 500
Were you caught using the pass or did you just have it on you? Because I think that you would have an argument if you just had it in your possession but you hadn't used it yet. But I would just pay the fine if they busted you after you swiped it.

Balk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

The thing is, I had the Bus pass ID, but it was 06-07 one which was taken by the cop. I did not have the 07-08 one.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
Were you caught using the pass or did you just have it on you? Because I think that you would have an argument if you just had it in your possession but you hadn't used it yet. But I would just pay the fine if they busted you after you swiped it.
I swiped the pass and then was asked to show them.

Old
05-06-2008, 01:05 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
They do. It's just the one he used was for HS students, and there is a monthly one for College/Uni.
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

DG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:11 PM
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
The thing is, I had the Bus pass ID, but it was 06-07 one which was taken by the cop. I did not have the 07-08 one.
too bad, guilty as charged

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:20 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
its about 18$/ month...
its very very high.

I recieved a 242$ fine for high speed 110 in a abandoned construction zone (70Km/h)
Hehe if u would be driving 110 in a 70zone here in sweden u would
#1 lose ur license
#2 be fined with anything from 1200-1500$

I got stopped some time ago when driving 55 in a 50zone and got fined for 300$

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Contest it. At the very least you'll save some money on the plea bargain and put off paying for about a year.

I have a similar story, which angered me to no end. A few years back when I first started at McGill, I used to take the train in the morning because that was the easiest way to get to an 8:30 class. So, I went and got myself a student train/bus ID and bought the accompanying train/bus pass. No problems all year.

During my second year, fall semester, I didn't take the train because all my classes started later in the morning, however I got the train/bus ID anyway because I'd need to take the train in the winter semester. Key point that will come back later: My previous year's ID hadn't expired yet so I was still using it. However, I decided to buy the much cheaper bus pass because I wouldn't be taking the train at all that semester.

Before doing so, I checked their website and it was quite ambiguous about if I could pair the two together, but considering the train ID is more restrictive age-wise and still proves I'm a full-time college student, logically I should be able to use it. Just to be sure, I asked the person who sold me the pass if it was ok and they assured me it was.

So, I go a little less than a month into the semester until one day at the McGill metro station I see there are a bunch of "cops" (metro police) checking IDs after the turn-style. I had nothing to hide (or so I thought) so I flashed them my ID and they pulled me aside. They basically gave me a 10 minute lecture and acted as if I was an idiot for having this card. I respectfully nodded along and whatnot, thinking I was going to get off with a warning until they hand me a $215 ticket.

When I get home I immediately file the papers to contest it, printing a page from their website that was ambiguous enough to show that my card was perfectly acceptable, or at least gave that impression. I send them out and wait.

A year later, I finally get my court date (actually, it was on the day of the Dawson shooting, and I was obliviously passing under there on my way). I go there, and the prosecutor pulls me out of the room to offer me a plea bargain. I figure I have them now, but my royal screwing wasn't over yet...

He shows me the case that he has against me, and this here is the kicker: They changed the charge against me! Now they claim that my pass had expired! I'm completely blown away by this, and as it turns out I had brought the pass with me that I would buy later in that semester (just as an example of the card I was carrying), so I didn't have proof with me that the pass had not expired. At this point I think I'm going insane, so I just took the plea bargain of $160 and paid it there.

When I get home I of course have to check my previous card to see the expiration date. Of course it was still valid...

So, if you skipped that long boring story, here are the main points:

1. Contest it.
2. Bring everything you can possibly think of to the court.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:24 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Hehe if u would be driving 110 in a 70zone here in sweden u would
#1 lose ur license
#2 be fined with anything from 1200-1500$

I got stopped some time ago when driving 55 in a 50zone and got fined for 300$

you learn after that to not drive fast...

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:27 PM
JackieChan

A friend of mine got the book thrown at him recently. He was on his bike, following the traffic on Jacques Cartier bridge, and he accelerated to catch up when there was a bit of slack at the exit. Then a cop pulled him over, had him at 90km/h on the radar: 9 points, 700$+

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Stradale

Same thing happened to a friend and he was fine close to 300$. Theres nothing you can do about it, just pay the fine. Its the same fine for everybody.

You need to have the privilege card (for 18 to 25 yr old full time student) to buy and use your MONTLY pass. You cannot buy or use tickets or weekly pass with that privilege card.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
A friend of mine got the book thrown at him recently. He was on his bike, following the traffic on Jacques Cartier bridge, and he accelerated to catch up when there was a bit of slack at the exit. Then a cop pulled him over, had him at 90km/h on the radar: 9 points, 700$+
Ouch

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Ok. So this morning I walk inside the montreal metro with my student weekly pass (I am 19years old) and I am stopped by a cop. Basically, I am told that I am not allowed to have the student pass because I am 19 and that I should have the adult pass. Therefore, I receive a nice 214$ ticket. I just don't understand why so much for buying a student weekly pass. I am a student (college and stuff), and even if they have the right to fine me, which I assume they do, why that much? Isn't that the same amount as if I were to be speeding in a school zone or causing danger to the public? Anyways, any advice or similar problems.
If you are a student @ college, bring it to court. Why don't they try to find something better to do then hassle teenagers, college students etc and actually stop real crimes.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:08 PM
24Cups

If the rules are stated that at 19 you are no longer eligible for a student pass then it's hard to plead ignorance. If they are ambiguous, then get your student counsel on the case. At least get them to submit a letter in your defense. Any student counsel with any worth will go to bat for you.

At the very least, by contesting the fine you stand to have it reduced as fines on tickets are a maximum and are subject to final declaration by a judge who has latitude to reduce them.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Just to clarify this for everyone...

When you reach 19 (and until 25 years old) you are eligible for the "Privilege etudiant ID".

What this is is the same as the old student ID, except, you MUST buy a monthly pass to take advantage of reduced rates. Tickets, cash, weekly (hebdo) passes etc. all have to be of the ADULT variety if you want to use them at this point.

Basically, this is a typical STM screwover, trying to siften more cash from you. Most students opt for the monthly pass anyway. But on months where you don't have to go out as much, and you decide to buy tickets or hebdo passes, you get screwed over and have to pay full price.

What's particularly frustrating is that they tend to have inspections at very few times of year, so it's largely those who don't deserve it who get busted.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

If you contest it, chances are the Cop might not even show up to court to defend it and you might get off without a fight

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
If you contest it, chances are the Cop probably won't even show up to court to defend it and you pretty much will get off without a fight
Fixed lol, in my experiences anyway.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
lou4gehrig

Just pay the fine. **** happens. Fines are used to pay for services and infrastructure that everybody uses, you, me everybody. If nobody paid the fines, then the taxes would be even higher. It's pretty simple. So basically you are rewarded for following the strict letter of the law as written. If you get caught once in awhile, oh well, that's just bad luck.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-06-2008 at 02:23 PM.
lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Larionov

As others have stated, you have nothing to lose by fighting it. Bring all the evidence you have, but don't take a hostile or argumentative tone. You want to convince the judge that this was just an honest mistake on your part. If you look sympathetic enough, you'll either get off the hook or your fine will be reduced substantially. Heck, look at the guy who posted here previously - he was offered a "plea bargain" before the court time when the prosecution was clearly in the wrong!

If none of this works, and you end up getting nailed for the full amount anyway, guess what? You will have the comfort of knowing that, between the court's time and the time for the inspector and prosecutor to show up, you ended up costing the system WAY more to collect this fine than it was worth to them.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

I don't think there is anything I can do but pay the 214$. However, the cop did tell me that I may contest it and I might get community service instead. But he did not go into much detail. The one thing I have a problem with is that he wrote the ticket on the turn-style while everyone passed. It is quite embarrassing.

Old
05-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Theran189

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Just pay the fine. **** happens. Fines are used to pay for services and infrastructure that everybody uses, you, me everybody. If nobody paid the fines, then the taxes would be even higher. It's pretty simple. So basically you are rewarded for following the strict letter of the law as written. If you get caught once in awhile, oh well, that's just bad luck.
This is the kind of attitude that justifies them for putting up such stupid system. Anyone with basic logic would not fine a student for using a student card because he doesn't have the STM Student card. Question is the personne using the Student pass is a student or not? If he's not, then fine him. But if he is and you fine him because he doen't have the right ID card then it is plain harassment. At Berry-UQAM at the end of courses I have been asked by two armed policmen to show my STM ID CARD when among hundreds of student, having a packsack full of books on me and all. All the while, drug dealers were selling their **** at the entrance of the metro. I showed my damn card after having an argument of the futility of this.
Policemen should catch criminals, but it is easier to catch students using student passes but having no Student STM ID card... Conclusion: they asked to check my entire school bag because I was arrogant... In fact they wanted to piss me off and make me loose time... I hate Montreal's policemen...

Theran189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Ok. So this morning I walk inside the montreal metro with my student weekly pass (I am 19years old) and I am stopped by a cop.
Were you served by a cop or a STM security agent?

If it was a cop (doubtful) you may get lucky. If you were served by one of their agent, you are probably **** out of luck. You have 30 days from the moment you were served to decide whether to pay or plead not guilty.

Then you will waste valuable time and they will fight you. Note also that if you lose, you may incur additional costs on top of wasting your time.

The STM will show up and will go after you. So think hard before getting in a fight with them.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Were you served by a cop or a STM security agent?

If it was a cop (doubtful) you may get lucky. If you were served by one of their agent, you are probably **** out of luck. You have 30 days from the moment you were served to decide whether to pay or plead not guilty.

Then you will waste valuable time and they will fight you. Note also that if you lose, you may incur additional costs on top of wasting your time.

The STM will show up and will go after you. So think hard before getting in a fight with them.
It was a cop. I know that I am kind of in-the-wrong, but what bothers me the most is the amount. 214$ for something little as that. Someone who is speeding at 70mph in a 50mph zone may get around the same amount of money. The point is, the guy driving fast IS causing danger to the public, while a person carrying a bus pass he should not (i guess) carry is causing little problems to the government.

Old
05-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
It was a cop. I know that I am kind of in-the-wrong, but what bothers me the most is the amount. 214$ for something little as that. Someone who is speeding at 70mph in a 50mph zone may get around the same amount of money. The point is, the guy driving fast IS causing danger to the public, while a person carrying a bus pass he should not (i guess) carry is causing little problems to the government.
Blame the VDM. It's no secret that they have imposed a ticket quotas to their agents so if they have a chance to nail you they will. Hell , there was an article on Cyberpresse not long ago about QC agents not giving enough tickets and how it was creating a hole in the city budget lol.

Old
05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
brownman*

You wanna talk about amounts and wtf, 'Underage Drinking' and 'Possession Of Open Alcohol' are both $445 here in NS. My buddy got hit with a $220 fine for driving under the influence.

Yes apparently me sipping on some Colt 45 when I was 16 was a far greater offense than my bro endangering people's lives

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
You wanna talk about amounts and wtf, 'Underage Drinking' and 'Possession Of Open Alcohol' are both $445 here in NS. My buddy got hit with a $220 fine for driving under the influence.

Yes apparently me sipping on some Colt 45 when I was 16 was a far greater offense than my bro endangering people's lives
445 $ ??!? Holy **** !!!

I was caught drinking a beer in a public park last year and it only cost me 63 $. 445 $ is just insane