HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you guys become Habs fans?

Old
05-06-2008, 10:23 AM
anarmandaleb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Pretty much brain washed by my Dad...everything I had was Montreal Canadiens from PJ's, Robe, hockey bag, shirts and you name it...he even had me wearing #9 because of the Rocket when I played as a kid...but when I got older I went to #26 for Mats Naslund, my favorite alltime Hab player.

Now I'm doing the same to my son...he doesn't have to be a Hab fan, but he can never be a Leaf fan!

If I ever decide to get married or have children, my future babydaddy will have to agree in writing that our children will grow up to worship the Habs, pray at the altar of Jean Beliveau and sacrifice Bruins and Leafs fans to the hockey gods.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Russeltown

I was born somewhere around Montreal, my dad was a fan of the Nordiques and my favourite player was Bob Gainey. I cheered for the Canadiens since I can remember my younger age.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post

If I ever decide to get married or have children, my future babydaddy will have to agree in writing that our children will grow up to worship the Habs, pray at the altar of Jean Beliveau and sacrifice Bruins and Leafs fans to the hockey gods.
My older daughter used this expression last week, I asked her to not use modern vernacular around me as it makes me cranky.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
My older daughter used this expression last week, I asked her to not use modern vernacular around me as it makes me cranky.
Noted.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:37 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
that comment made me feel old and im only 28 haha

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
that comment made me feel old and im only 28 haha
I keep hearing words creeping into our vocabulary, and I like to use them talking to my wife, because I enjoy watching her react to me sounding like a jerk.

I like using them around the younger daughter, usually using them incorrectly,hoping to embarass her. She doesn't care though.

I've noticed the word 'fail' being used differently now, it seems to have become a noun.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:45 AM
sandman08

haha i think once i have kids i'll pretty much be doing the same thing.. that and like.. a wife haha
as if hockey, beer, heat, less school and friends/family werent enough reasons for me to look forward to finishing up my degree and heading back to north america, i now have a NEW reason to head back and thats to keep up with all the new slang kids throw around these days.

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post

Will the puppies also have to be Arsenal fans?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
CanadaIsHockey

Born in Montreal, raised in laval. My grandfather was a huge Habs fan, i started watching this game around the age of 5-6, around 1990. And 1 player really caught my eye... Russ Courtnall. I started watching more regularly and slowly started becoming a Fan. Then when they won the cup in 1993, June 9th around 10pm, schoolnight, past my bedtime but i was still watching.... it was never the same again. Started following the Habs religiously.
Now, for me, Hockey is a religion. Playing it on average of 3 to 4 times a week, in a few leagues and casually, and pretty much watching every Habs game as well as any other NHL games i see on TV.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:32 PM
1UP

The Nordiques left.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
The Nordiques left.
*puts 1UP on probation*

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:39 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Born and raised as one.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
habfan4

Born into a family of Hab fans, but the 1970's Canadiens (in particular Guy Damien Lafleur) sealed the deal. Those were the halcyon days of hockey in Montréal.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
pepperMonkey

Born and raised in Brampton Ontario, now living in Toronto so you can imagine how everyone is a Leafs fan (with a smattering of Bruins and Hab fans).
Anyhow, sorta remember watching a leafs vs habs game when very little...late 70's early 80's I suppose. And I believe I liked the red guys more. Course at the time my brother was a Habs fan also (so he tells me though I don't remember). Don't recall the cups during the Bowman era at all sadly.

In any case, I truly became a fan when watching the Habs during the playoffs when Steve Penney became (to me anyhow) a brick wall though eventually someone created a hole in that wall. In any case, he became my instant favorite player. Course ended very soon after when Roy came into being and took us to the cup. And although Penney made the Habs my fav team, Roy has made the Habs my fav team for life. And Roy also became and still is my fav Hab of all time. Strangely those two goalies have also made me into loving goalies, so I was very much into (*ahem*) Andre Racicot(*caugh*,*caugh*), Theo, Huet, and now Price and Halak.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Guillemin

I was born in Toronto and used to love the Leafs. Hockey and I broke up for awhile, and when we got back together, my biggest love was history. I started cheering for the most historically successful team, and as my love for hockey has grown so has my love for the Habs.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It's great to see so many Habs fans that were people that thought by themselves even if their family had different allegiances.

In Quebec city as far as I can remember there were always as much Habs fans as there were Nordiques fans. Even more, I would say. I remember being a late bloomer as far as following hockey(even though I played every day) but when I caught the bug around 7-8 years old I became a diehard Hab right away. It was a mix of being born in January(red)-and you know when you are a kid artificial visual things like that play a part lol-and just prefering the Habs experience versus the Nordiques experience so to speak. Nords for me when I was a kid were low-grade compared to the Habs, some would say they were underdogs-types and it didn't fit my personality. I was a dreamer and the Canadiens were so epic, this great dynasty. Like the Roman Empire. I guess that's why kids gravitate to teams like the Yankees, Habs, etc...Because it's a great adventure-type story. Maths Naslund was definitly my guy.

Anyway I remember that one day where in 6th grade the Nordiques had eliminated the Habs by a goal by Peter Stastny. And my teacher had decided that there was no class that day, he kept replaying the radio feed of Stastny scoring the goal. This was a nightmare being surrounded by Nordiques fans and earing this. Still there was no school...

Last edited by Kimota: 05-06-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Stephen Locke*

I was born as a Habs fan because I'm one. I'm not a fairweather/bandwagon fan.My parents immigrated to Montreal a few decades ago and never really got into hockey and didn't become hardcore fans but watched it and talked about it at times.As a 6-years old Canadian kid,I thought that being a Habs fan meant so much at so many levels,(like socializing and having friends because of it)Nowadays immigrants seem to isolate themselves in micocosoms of their old country,but this way of life wasn't available for my family back in the early 1980s.Around 11-12 I've personally realized that being a Habs fan was/is a way of becoming more Montrealer and more Canadian.It was kind of a way of integrating the Montreal/Quebec society via the Canadiens as a kid.

The satisfaction of winning the big prize is just not present in anywhere the same level if you haven't showed your team colours.You have to be loyal to your allegieances to better savour and enjoy a eventual championship.especially after rough rough times.This is true particularly for the entire 'post 1993' generation of Habs fans,who have seen nothing but perpetual and disappointing mediocrity.The contemporary on-ice product has nearly nothing to do with the ''strength'' of my fanhood.It does have a significant impact on how much I spend buying jerseys,game tickets and my television rating patronage.Even if it eventually takes 40 years to win it all,my personal satisfaction will not be matched.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 05-06-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Brett38

My father was a Habs fan. I have seen every Stanley Cup Final game since 1973. On T.V. of course.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Talent Analyst

Born as a Habs fans.. my father show me the good thing

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Born Habs Fan

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

My Dad was a die-hard Bruins fans, and I liked bedlam....so I became a die-hard Habs fan.

My Mom still hasn't recovered.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
The Nordiques left.

Bandwagon jumper.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Laps40

I was born a Habs fan. my father was a habs fan then. But now, he doesn'T care really much.

Laps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
My Dad was a die-hard Bruins fans, and I liked bedlam....so I became a die-hard Habs fan.

My Mom still hasn't recovered.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 05:53 PM
AD

In the year 19 BP (Before Price), my family and I moved from Lebanon to Canada where we settled in Montreal. Though we arrived right before the playoff loss to Calgary, I have very little knowledge or memories about that year.

In the year 18 BP though, I became* a die hard Habs fan.. but we unfortunately lost in the playoffs to the dreaded Cam Neely/Andy Moog led Bruins. Instantly.. I wanted nothing more than death to the Bruins. (The Oilers that year saved the day, as did the Penguins the next year.. to this day, I have a soft spot for the Oil and Pens because of this)

*I say became, but in truth, I was always a Habs fan, I just didn't know it until 18 BP

AD is offline   Reply With Quote