HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Year End Press Conference 2:00 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
  #76
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
So good news:

- Montreal is one of only 3 teams that Brunnstrom visited with.
- Gainey will try to acquire an impact forward.
- Gainey feels Andrei Kostitsyn is happy here and isn't too concerned about an RSL offer.
- Gainey will consider talking to guys like Koivu, Kovalev, and Komisarek during the season next year; not negotiating during the season is not a hard rule.
- Carbo denies any Kovy/Koivu dressing room problems.


Bad news:

- Responding to a question about Alexei Emelin, Gainey asks "the defenseman?" Gainey . But he doesn't seem optimistic about signing him this summer as he states that he's still under contract for a year.


Other:
- Carbo's tie will be auctioned, not sure where yet, with money going to a charity for kids; but don't worry, he received like 400 ties in the mail from fans.
- Gainey talked contract with Streit back in November, though for different reasons, nothing was agreed upon.
- Brisebois, Smolinski, and the other FAs will be evaluated by management in the next couple of weeks.
- Ryder worked hard to get back in the line-up, but "our team was better without him."
i'm already exciting about next season.... DAMN IT!

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
  #77
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
i'm already exciting about next season.... DAMN IT!
I think we all are... the future looks good to me.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
  #78
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
So good news:
Other:
- Carbo's tie will be auctioned, not sure where yet, with money going to a charity for kids; but don't worry, he received like 400 ties in the mail from fans.
- Gainey talked contract with Streit back in November, though for different reasons, nothing was agreed upon.
- Brisebois, Smolinski, and the other FAs will be evaluated by management in the next couple of weeks.
- Ryder worked hard to get back in the line-up, but "our team was better without him."
Oh, snap!

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
  #79
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Oh, snap!
He basically said, Ryder won't be back, without saying it.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
  #80
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,263
vCash: 500
Did he mention anything about next season and having 2 young goalies? Is Halak signed for next year?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
  #81
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Did he mention anything about next season and having 2 young goalies? Is Halak signed for next year?
They asked him if he would sign a veteran goalie....

said he needs to talk to everyone in the org first and evaluate this season before deciding what to do re: goaltending.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:50 PM
  #82
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
They asked him if he would sign a veteran goalie....

said he needs to talk to everyone in the org first and evaluate this season before deciding what to do re: goaltending.
Thanks.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:25 PM
  #83
DirtyJeeves
Registered User
 
DirtyJeeves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anderson, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 730
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
I wish Hackett was still around. I think he'd be great for Carey.

Lure him from COL and have two goaltending coaches?

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:58 PM
  #84
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,453
vCash: 700
Rolston would be my top pick. This can can play on any line and with young players. It give us depth so our wingers on the bottom lines get quality linesmates too. He has grit and can play a good offensive game and he's still fast.

Good move on Ryder, i think Bob knew he would fade at some point otherwise he would have signed him long term. It's kinda sad tho, with the good old Ryder we would still be playing.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
  #85
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Rolston would be my top pick. This can can play on any line and with young players. It give us depth so our wingers on the bottom lines get quality linesmates too. He has grit and can play a good offensive game and he's still fast.

Good move on Ryder, i think Bob knew he would fade at some point otherwise he would have signed him long term. It's kinda sad tho, with the good old Ryder we would still be playing.
If Ryder had scored during the season, and then the playoffs we would probably have beaten the Flyers, but...if a few of our crossbars/posts had gone in we would have beaten the Flyers...something happened to Ryder this year, he just didn't seem right from the get go, maybe the thing with his brother out in Calgary? It is indeed strange, for a guy on a contract year to not produce??? Too bad, seems like a good guy, but there has to be some changes, and Ryder's days as a Hab are done, I just hope he signs in the West...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
  #86
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeeves View Post
I wish Hackett was still around. I think he'd be great for Carey.

Lure him from COL and have two goaltending coaches?
wonder if Kolzig ends up here next season

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
  #87
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezzz View Post
wonder if Kolzig ends up here next season
didn't Price play in the WHL for a team owned by Kolzig? Interesting...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
  #88
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezzz View Post
wonder if Kolzig ends up here next season
That would be ironic, a de facto swap of Huet for Kolzig + a second rounder.

No, it won't happen, Kolzig isn't as good as he used to be but he wouldn't accept Halak-level money.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
  #89
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
That would be ironic, a de facto swap of Huet for Kolzig + a second rounder.

No, it won't happen, Kolzig isn't as good as he used to be but he wouldn't accept Halak-level money.
He will have to if he wants to play in the NHL.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
  #90
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezzz View Post
wonder if Kolzig ends up here next season
I could be wrong but doesn't Kolzig have a child with special needs that are being met by a particular school in Washington ? If that's the case, he'd probably retire before moving.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
  #91
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
didn't Price play in the WHL for a team owned by Kolzig? Interesting...
Actually during the lock out Kolzig worked really close with Price, they have a good relationship already and Kolzig knows at this point in his career he isn't a #1 or even a goalie to split games. A mentorship to a former player on his team and friend maybe attractive to him, especially with the Habs looking like contenders for years to come.

I think Halak is traded this summer, his agent already stated he isn't looking to be a 10-12 game guy and if the money and options are in Russia he can bolt...look for a Draft Day deal, maybe a move up type of deal in the 1st.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
  #92
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I could be wrong but doesn't Kolzig have a child with special needs that are being met by a particular school in Washington ? If that's the case, he'd probably retire before moving.
Yeah, he has a little guy- I want to say six/seven y.o.- with autism. I agree he'd probably retire rather than have to find new therapists and a new school for his son. Kids with autism generally don't deal with change well at all. Washington would probably offer him a job within the organization if he couldn't/didn't want to play anymore.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
  #93
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Kazan is rumored to have offered 4mill per year for him to jump....

Whether it is true.... What bob will offer.... and if he wants to leave.... is unknown.
The RSL economic model (lots of expenditures, little revenues) doesn't make much sense to me. However, the owners are awash in money and nothing surprises me. But, if I'm not mistaken, 4 M would make Kostitsyn the highest paid player in Russia with Morozov (Zinovjev makes 3.5M).

It would be a coup for the new Continental League as a whole to attract him (or Jagr over), but is he really worth that much to Kazan in particular?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:38 PM
  #94
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Yeah, he has a little guy- I want to say six/seven y.o.- with autism. I agree he'd probably retire rather than have to find new therapists and a new school for his son. Kids with autism generally don't deal with change well at all. Washington would probably offer him a job within the organization if he couldn't/didn't want to play anymore.
thanks, I knew it was something that change had an effect on. I've been told exactly what you say, consistency is crucial with autism.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
  #95
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Concerning Kolzig, I think Gainey should extend extra assistance in consideration of Kolzig's situation with his child.

It's not every day you get to pick up one of the worst goaltenders in the league.

Hfboards

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
  #96
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
If Kolzig has a young child with autism, wouldn't the Québec language laws add to his burden?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
  #97
DirtyJeeves
Registered User
 
DirtyJeeves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anderson, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 730
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Kolzig cleaned out his locker early and left the team before its final mandatory meeting.

I'm guessing he still thinks he can start in this league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Concerning Kolzig, I think Gainey should extend extra assistance in consideration of Kolzig's situation with his child.

It's not every day you get to pick up one of the worst goaltenders in the league.

Hfboards
It's not a superstar goaltender that we need. We need a guy with loads of experience who's comfortable in a backup/grooming role.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-07-2008 at 09:19 AM.
DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
  #98
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeeves View Post
It's not a superstar goaltender that we need. We need a guy with loads of experience who's comfortable in a backup/grooming role.
We need Curtis Joseph (or equivalent)

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:22 PM
  #99
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisaurus View Post
We need Curtis Joseph (or equivalent)
Mr. "I could never propel a very good Leafs team to another level"?

I don't want that choke job teaching Carey anything.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:41 AM
  #100
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
i would be willing to bring Kolzig as a mentor role, for the right $ i think he might be the best suited candidate if the team chooses this mentor option. considering his established relationship with Price.

i Like halak and i think he will be good, the option of Price/Halak duo is also good.

it will be up to the management to decide which option is best and of course depend on whether Kolzig is willing to accept that role

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.