HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shutdown Dman or PP QB? (merged)

View Poll Results: Should we focus on acquiring a Shutdown (Big Hitting) Defenseman or a legit PP QB?
Shutdown/Big Hitting Dman 55 49.11%
PP QB ala Campbell 51 45.54%
Leave our defense the way it is! Focus on improving offense! 6 5.36%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
TheSchwab

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Weren't Staal's offensive stats in the OHL good? I think he will become a PP QB soon...

Girardi is more of a D-man D. He can be a shutdown and look how much bigger he got this season compared to last. I can't wait to see him next year, he is gonna be huge. He can hit too and is smart with the puck in the zone.

Tyutin is soild as well. Those 3 need to stay. Plus with Hutchinson, our core D-unit might not change for a good 5 years.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Weren't Staal's offensive stats in the OHL good? I think he will become a PP QB soon...

Girardi is more of a D-man D. He can be a shutdown and look how much bigger he got this season compared to last. I can't wait to see him next year, he is gonna be huge. He can hit too and is smart with the puck in the zone.

Tyutin is soild as well. Those 3 need to stay. Plus with Hutchinson, our core D-unit might not change for a good 5 years.
Unless I'm mistaken, Hutch is an UFA.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
otto1219

i would say both as well, i like our future blue line, but it damn scares me that tyutin an NHL player cannot hit the net 80% of the time. I agree these kids are not in the primes, but they really got start improving their offensive games.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
McRanger23

I would like a guy like Jason Smith. I dont know how much it would cost us but he would give us some grit on the bluline and some much needed Leadership for the young guys.

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, Hutch is an UFA.
He is. Honestly I was very surprised that he wasn't called up at some point during the season when we were having issues on the power play. Does he have a 1-way contract or something?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:33 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I don't think Hutchinson will be back.

Why don't we get Bryce Salvador?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
McRanger23

Shutdown Dman or PP QB? (merged)

The Rangers need a shutdown D-Man in the worst way. A Guy similar to Beukeboom in the 90s. I was thinking, What would it take to get a guy like Mike Komisarek. He manhandled Jagr in that fateful game against the Habs. What would we have to give up for him, and if it's not possible that we get him, who do you suggest?

Thanks,

CDrury23

Old
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
quinten

QB the PP

The Rangers draft sanguinetti run the PP. He has a great shot and moves the puck to the opening man.

quinten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

I truthfully think that a PP QB is much more important than a shut down defensemen. Our young defense has matured another year. Staal looks like he is going to become a great shutdown defensemen. I also think that Komisarek is a good choice though.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Fataldogg

I'd go for both. What's holding us back? Marc Staal will be a nice mix of being both a shut down and an offensive d-man. We know we are going to have Staal with Girardi and Tyutin , that leaves three spots left. My choices for the remaining three spots; (1) Sign an offensive QB [Campbell, Redden], (2) Sign a hard hitting rough guy, (3) re-sign Roszival or Mara at a marketable price to play as a second pair defenseman. Let's face it, Roszival wasn't horrible, he just wasn't a #1 pair defenseman BUT he would make fine for a second pair. And Mara played some pretty solid D.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
SML

The Habs love Komisarek. What would make you think he's even available? Unless we're completely overpaying, they aren't trading him, and if we are overpaying, why would you want to do it? We have to draft wisely. That's how you get these good, young, affordable players. Not by poaching them as UFA's or FA's or giving half your assets away in a trade.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
hlundqvist30*

Brilliant plan! Then we can go get Ovechkin, and Lidstrom, and Stastny, and Boyle, and Kopitar! Will have a Stanley Cup in no time!

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDrury23 View Post
The Rangers need a shutdown D-Man in the worst way. A Guy similar to Beukeboom in the 90s. I was thinking, What would it take to get a guy like Mike Komisarek. He manhandled Jagr in that fateful game against the Habs. What would we have to give up for him, and if it's not possible that we get him, who do you suggest?

Thanks,

CDrury23
Im sure the Habs would want alot for him in a trade, but he seems like a nice choice. Does anyone happen to know what his contract status is?

05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
McRanger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Brilliant plan! Then we can go get Ovechkin, and Lidstrom, and Stastny, and Boyle, and Kopitar! Will have a Stanley Cup in no time!
It was just a suggestion, and if you think it's such a bad idea make a suggestion!

Old
05-06-2008, 06:09 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
It was just a suggestion, and if you think it's such a bad idea make a suggestion!
Great. I suggest we revive Julis Caesar from the dead and make him president of the US. Just a suggestion.

I already stated my opinion. We need to go smaller scale. Get an Orpik. Get a Huselius. Get a Ryder. No breaking the bank.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Great. I suggest we revive Julis Caesar from the dead and make him president of the US. Just a suggestion.

I already stated my opinion. We need to go smaller scale. Get an Orpik. Get a Huselius. Get a Ryder. No breaking the bank.
Why are you so rude to him? No need for hostility!

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
McRanger23

Quote:

Huselius wont be cheap. He'll be one of the most sought after wingers on the market. Some desperate team will pay him 6 mil.

But, I do agree with Ryder and Orpik or possibly Jason Smith for a short term deal.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post

I think Staal has a lot of untapped offensive potential that will explode in the next year or two. Just look at those rushes he made down the ice with the puck on occasion. I'm not saying he'll be Leetch in the offensive department, but maybe more like Chelios.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Huselius wont be cheap. He'll be one of the most sought after wingers on the market. Some desperate team will pay him 6 mil.

But, I do agree with Ryder and Orpik or possibly Jason Smith for a short term deal.
Jason Smith is an UFA?

Old
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

I think 6 mill is pushing it, but it's not like we won't have cap room. Why not offer a 3 year, 5 million dollar contract. We are going to have to fill at the very least Shanny's spot, and probably Straka's along with maybe Avery and Jagr's spots. I would sign Smith if there wasn't much else left but I don't really like him.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:18 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

3 years, 5 million seems a bit much.
How about 4-4.5 for 3 years?

Old
05-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Nich

i say get orpik and smith

staal - orpik
tuts - girardi
mara - smith
backman/baranka as the 7th....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:25 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
3 years, 5 million seems a bit much.
How about 4-4.5 for 3 years?
Have you seen the FA class this year? After Hossa it's pretty weak. Huselius will command 5 mill over 3 years.

I know people want a PP QB but what is there really out there? Campbell is wanted by essentially everyone and is going to be vastly overpaid. Redden could be overpaid too and who knows how he will play. That basically leaves JM Liles and M. Streit, both of which aren't real physical defensemen. I guess I'd support a signing of one of them only if another signing of somebody like Commodore or Orpik countered it.

Old
05-07-2008, 06:21 AM
shon

I think Renney has an thought of Staal and Girardi together as the first pairing.
They both will improve and gain confidence as they mature.
We can go out and get another d man who everyone thinks is tough and he will be in the box half the time.
If anyone watched the pp we really didn't have a hard time getting into the zone it was the forwards that couldn't battle and control the puck.
Our pp doesn't use the points much anyway.
Watch other teams pp they play it high.Girardi and Staal played a little together on the pp and did ok.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:36 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm kind of split. The reason why the Rangers got burned this year was more the cruddy PP than the defense. IDK, though because a big defenseman would be a great asset come playoff time and there's no saying that the Powerplay can't work without that PP QB.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote