HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

This really sucks.

Old
05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
This really sucks.

I'm not injured or anything. But our goalie has returned from his injury and from last night, he was phenomenal as always. We won 7-1. But this means I'm back at a place I'm not that great. Basically its my skating. I can fly when I'm turning right, but I fall A LOT when I am turning left. My stopping is good. But for me, its shooting while skating. Any tips? (I also must thank you guys in this thread. You've helped so many people and me as well. You know your stuff and I appreciate all the help. BTW Headcoach, I need your website one more time, I'm signing up!! )

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:56 PM
RealTalk

vCash: 500
These are two of the websites headcoach has shown me

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...splay.php?f=67

http://www.passthepuck.net/

RealTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Pass the puck was it. Thanks a bunch! But any tips on shooting while I'm skating and working on my turns.

Old
05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Here you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Pass the puck was it. Thanks a bunch! But any tips on shooting while I'm skating and working on my turns.
Ok, on my site, I have several videos that work on power skating and quick turns. If you can't find it, let me know and I will send you several links on the site to help you with your turns.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, on my site, I have several videos that work on power skating and quick turns. If you can't find it, let me know and I will send you several links on the site to help you with your turns.

Head coach
Thanks, how about shots while skating?

Old
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
frito

If you don't have access to practice shooting at the rink, you can try some dryladn multi tasking. Try dribbling a soccer ball while simultaneously shooting. Or you could get a wbble board and try balancing on that while shooting. Of course this won't help so much with the weight transfer aspects of shooting on the fly but it will help you with the multi-tasknig aspect of shooting while skating.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Ok first, I will need to know which way you shoot. Well, I guess it doesn't matter, but to advise you on the best action, knowing how you shoot will help me disign a course of action for you. IE: How to enter the attacking zone, whether it's on your on-wing or off-wing.

Example: If you come in on your off-wing and you don't go down the shooting alley, you will shoot off the wrong foot. If you enter the zone on you on-wing, then there is a specific area where you need to release your shot to get maximum leverage out of your shot.

I will have to draw you a couple of diagram to Illustrate. Give me a couple of days to look it all down and then I will post it.

Head coach

Old
05-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Headcoach

Shooting while skating!

Quote:
Ok, here's the first part of this....

Ok, let talk about a couple of ways to get the puck off your stick in the attacking zone. First, it is always important to enter the attacking zone on your off wing! Why?
  1. It keeps the puck in the "Shooting Zone,"
  2. It provides you the ability to turn towards the center ice and keep the puck protected.
  3. It puts your shot on your forehand.

Now, once you enter the attacking zone and the defensemen is trying to control the gap on you, do a quick stop turn and maneuver yourself into the "Shooting Alley!"

Please look at the shooting alley below. You will see from this first picture that the puck is in between both players. This will put the puck at risk and will give the defensemen the opportunity to take it away.

Now, look at this picture. Notice that this shooter has entered the zone on his off wing and the puck is now protected.

Now look at this photo. Even though it is an out dated photo, it still shows the power behind the shot in a shooting alley.

By maneuvering down this alley, you place the shoot across your body, which will give you more force behind your shot and give you the proper balance to use maximum leverage in the shot.

Now, look at this picture below.

Notice that this play did not use the shooting alley and was forced to the outside towards the board. Notice that because of the bad angle shot in which the defensemen put him into (low scoring position) he had to use the wrong leg to balance with and get the shot off. Look how he had to place the balance leg up in the air to compensate for weight distibution.

Notice that he could have side passed to his team mate in the slot. But, because his leg is up in the air, he was using maximum force to get the shot off and generally you don't see this during a pass.

The cool thing about the alley is that you can enter it at any point as long do a stop turn into the alley and you get the shot off across your body for maximum force.

The other area for entering the zone is on your "On-Wing." Although, I like my players entering on their off-wing, sometimes you find yourself, unable to maneuver into the alley becuase the defensemen on the other team controlled the gap and forced you to the outside.

If you head towards the defensemen at 3/4 speed and just when he is getting ready to control the gap, you go full speed and move around and make your turn into the alley. If the defensemen, makes the move on you and compensates or adjusts he speed to match your full speed, this is when you "stop turn" towards the center and into the alley.

So the next best thing to take advantage of shooting while moving is this area. Check out this drawing below.

If you shoot right or left, start the set up of the puck at the top of the box, push the puck slightly a head of your, gear up with a closed blade, and let the shot go across your body at a 45 degree angle relative to the net.

Now, practice how high you follow through with your stick. If the stick remains low, the puck will go low. If your follow through is high, the puck will fly high.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 05-06-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old
05-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I can fire a wrist shot coming in, but i can't seem to fire that slapper coming into the zone. thanks for help. time for practice.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Watch this video. See if it helps any.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
wtf? im not even going to ask.

Old
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
This is exactly what I was thinking!

Head coach

Old
05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRoad View Post
Watch this video. See if it helps any.

Good video. Thats basically what is i need working on.

Old
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Good video. Thats basically what is i need working on.

Hum, when I touch it...it says that this video is no linger available...too bad! Can you send me that actual youtube link? Thanks

Head coach

Old
05-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaChVdXddfw

Its not that long but you find some really good video's off that one as well.

Old
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Can't turn Left/Zoolander ... Meh, the joke's ruined when you have to explain it.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Headcoach

Quote:
Can't turn Left/Zoolander ... Meh, the joke's ruined when you have to explain it.
Sorry, not a big Ben Stiller fan!

Head coach

Old
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
HAHAAHAH ohhhh i remember that now hahahaha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, here's the first part of this....

Ok, let talk about a couple of ways to get the puck off your stick in the attacking zone. First, it is always important to enter the attacking zone on your off wing!
I have always liked coming in on the off wing myself, seems to give you more freedom of where you want to move and shoot with the puck. What your saying makes sense to me.
You can cut across on your forehand, and almost always be in position to make a good pass or take a higher quality shot.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
I have always liked coming in on the off wing myself, seems to give you more freedom of where you want to move and shoot with the puck. What your saying makes sense to me.
You can cut across on your forehand, and almost always be in position to make a good pass or take a higher quality shot.
Exactly! So it kind of surprises me that players will go to the out side for the bad shot. Yes, I know that sometimes they are foreced to go in that direction towards the boards. But even if you find yourself squeezed towards the board, it would nice if the coach on the team would teach his attacking line to have a trailer 8 to 10 feet behind, so that if you find yourself forced towards the boards, you can bank the puck off the boards in the direction of the blue line, toward the trailer and then the trailer can make that turn towards the center, down the shooting alley and get that perfect shot off.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 05-07-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old
05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I'm not a big Stiller fan either.