HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski "probably returning to the RSL"?

Old
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
brownman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I'm going to save these negative comments and toss 'em back at you next year when Lapierre and Latendresse are in 20 game goalless slumps and Grabbo is on a goal scoring tear either here or elsewhere. Thanks for the material chumps.
Conversely you've just given them the same material, no?

I just don't see where we have room for him.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Conversely you've just given them the same material, no?

I just don't see where we have room for him.
On the wing.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
LV Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
Man does everyone hate this guy..

He's been improving every year, like the guy above my post said, 7 points in 12 games since his most recent recall is very good, given who he was playing with. He HAS what it takes to play in the NHL, as long as he works hard just like everyone this summer.
I don't really think it's a matter of the fans hating him, more him hating the fact that he isn't getting a regular spot. I'd definitely want to re-sign the guy, just don't know if he's willing to take less money and less playing time to stay and try and crack the NHL.

I wouldn't be happy if all we got was a 5th rounder for him.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

The problem with Grabovski is that he's redundant on the Habs. He's not a checking line center , not an energy type of player and is not strong enough along the boards to play wing so he pretty much can only fit as either a 1st or 2nd line center and those spots are already taken by Plekanec and Koivu respectively. That plus i think that Maxwell is going to be better than him at the NHL level.

I wouldn't be against trading him for a second tier gritty winger prospect to be honest. Maybe for one of those numerous PF prospects that Chicago has ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
The problem with Grabovski is that he's redundant on the Habs. He's not a checking line center , not an energy type of player and is not strong enough along the boards to play wing ...
I was thinking that exactly, he looks to me as a slightly more talented Perzhogin..

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Let him play, increase value, trade, make room for Maxwell/Patches/Chips etc, get bigger. (I do like watching him play though, he isn't horrible)

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
The problem with Grabovski is that he's redundant on the Habs. He's not a checking line center , not an energy type of player and is not strong enough along the boards to play wing so he pretty much can only fit as either a 1st or 2nd line center and those spots are already taken by Plekanec and Koivu respectively. That plus i think that Maxwell is going to be better than him at the NHL level.
Grabo can fit in as a third-offensive center - the role he fulfilled down the strech. The playoffs have clearly demonstrated that we need to play three offensive lines like Buffalo did before last season or even Phili does now. When some players underperform or get injured, depth comes in handy.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Grabo has a high ceiling. Needs strength.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Grabo can fit in as a third-offensive center - the role he fulfilled down the strech. The playoffs have clearly demonstrated that we need to play three offensive lines like Buffalo did before last season or even Phili does now. When some players underperform or get injured, depth comes in handy.
Thngs don't remain static. The Habs could trade for or develop another offensive center. Maybe Maxwell will be that player. Maybe Timmins will come up with a sleeper in the 2008 draft. Let's not forget that Grabovski is already 24 years old. Also, I'm not thrilled that he's only 5'9", 172 pounds.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Form and Substance

keep him. he's got interesting potential.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:32 AM
mcphee

I did see the expression, 'aging movie queen' a few posts back didn't I ? I like that one.

I don't see a big issue. I'd like them to offer him a contract and see what he shows in camp, see how he fits with whoever is added the org. If they can't make assurances, and I doubt they can, and he chooses to hear to the RSL, that's the way it goes.

I think he wants to play hockey, he doesn't want to be an inusrance or depth policy. I think that's the basis for Hickey's comments. From the player's perspective, it's good that the RSL is a viable option, keeps them from getting buried .

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
You know there's a limit to how many players a team can have in its organisation, don't you? Gtrabovski has defined limits on what he can do. Lapierre isn't expected to be a big goal scorer but he is a disturber where Grabovski is more of a pinata. Latendresse hasn't scored a goal in a long time but he has a defined role that Grabovski can't fill. I don't know how you can extrapolate Grabovski into a big goal scorer. When wil he learn to do that? First he has to learn just to stay on his skates instead of his rear end.

Finally, why do you look down on everyone as chumps for disagreeing with you? Why are your eyebrows raised so superciliously? Do you use Botox like an aging movie queen?
And what exactly is that role? Mind telling me?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

I know it's a minority view but I honestly think Grabovski should be given the same chance Lapierre has. I didn't see Maxim's game improve from last year, I think what you see now is pretty much what you're gonna get. It's not that I don't like him, but he's basically a fast north-south guy who's a bit of a pest. Not great at faceoffs, not a great scorer.

Grabovski has better speed and quite possibly a better scoring touch. His faceoffs aren't good, but then that's about equal. He has barely has a chance to prove himself in the NHL and I'd at least give him 30-40 games going forward before closing the book on him. Does he need wingers who can score? Yep. Does he need defensively responsible wingers? Probably. I think he's still fleshing out the 2-way aspect of his game. If he has success with it in the end --- look out.

I thought the line of Higgins - Grabovski - S. Kostitsyn could've had more time together.

I suppose the real question is: to grasp at 3 scoring lines? or 2 scoring, 1 shutdown, 1 energy? If you want the former, I'd favour Grabovski over Lapierre. If you want the latter, Lapierre is probbaly a better choice in the long term.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Good Riddance, we dont need him or his piss poor attitude

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:56 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Trade him for something if we can get better in the off-season.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
mooseOAK*

From watching Grabovski play in the AHL he just doesn't look like a good fit for the NHL. Skating around in circles with the puck, ignoring his team mates, he seemed to be in his own world.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Huh? I didn't see the same games you did in the AHL I guess.

For success in the NHL he'll need:

1. consistent ice time (15 mins / game, say)
2. consistent linemates
3. to be allowed to make mistakes, just like Pleks / Akost / Skost (all of whom have made plenty)

Grabovski plays the game at a tempo that's just plain faster then his former mates in Hamilton. I think he's still got a good shot at the NHL, especially with the Habs building for speed on speed on speed.

He's one of those guys who will either fail miserably or all of the sudden become a dangerous weapon. But without a fair deal (#1,2,3 above) it's impossible to judge.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
MrNasty

Why is it I have an eerie feeling that we may hear "Grabovsky, Halak and a 2nd for...." a few times this off season?

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
les3couleurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Huh? I didn't see the same games you did in the AHL I guess.

For success in the NHL he'll need:

1. consistent ice time (15 mins / game, say)
2. consistent linemates
3. to be allowed to make mistakes, just like Pleks / Akost / Skost (all of whom have made plenty)

Grabovski plays the game at a tempo that's just plain faster then his former mates in Hamilton. I think he's still got a good shot at the NHL, especially with the Habs building for speed on speed on speed.

He's one of those guys who will either fail miserably or all of the sudden become a dangerous weapon. But without a fair deal (#1,2,3 above) it's impossible to judge.
We're not at a stage where we can give him those. We're not rebuilding and he hasn't shown to me anything that warrants getting those. His defensive inefficiency prohibits him from being put consistently on a third or fourth line.

He could become something under the right conditions, I guess, but I'm not ready to wait for him. I don't think what he can become merits all the wait, plus we already have plenty of what his potential (offensive small center) is.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I hope he stays, I think he's got the offensive talent and speed to be a useful player in this league.

I agree, I think that he's got a future with the Habs...although I think they'll move him to the wing, and try to get Sergei in a center's position.

Grabs - S. Kost - A. kost could be a very good line.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I'd like to see him stay for another season or two, he's shown great potential and gets better every year. Let's be patient!

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
Good Riddance, we dont need him or his piss poor attitude
We don't need him? I'll give you that. He hasn't proven himself to be anywhere near essential enough to the success of the team for someone to claim we "need" him (although I can see a decent case for why he should be kept with the team next year, though that's another issue). But "piss poor attitude"? Really?

He travels across the world, far from home to learn a new style of hockey, adapt to another countries traditions and learn it's language (one of, I'm not falling into that trap). Not only does he make that effort, not only does he pay his dues, but he puts in enough effort for a marked improvement to be noticable in his game. He also isn't content to just sit on the sidelines and collect a big league cheque. He wants to earn it, he wants to play for the Habs, he wants to make a difference. And that is a piss poor attitude to you? Boy, I hope none of our other prospects show any sign of disappointment should they not get a game. I hope they don't work to improve or show a desire to play for the Habs. Clearly, the thing to do is sit back, shut up and cash your cheques. Is that the attitude you think we need?

Oh, but hang on a moment. He skipped a team flight. A stupid thing to do. But is that a bad attitude or a stupid mistake? I assume if you say that it is a sign of a bad (or piss poor) attitude and you still want him to leave, you'd also want no part of Ryan O'Byrne or Tom Kostopoulos on the team, right? Stealing stuff, resisting arrest, not exactly the kind of reputation we'd want associated with the name of the Montreal Canadiens. Was their incident a result of a bad attitude, perhaps a lack of decency? Or was it a stupid mistake? How about Sergei Kostitsyn? Ready to see the back of him? I mean this is a kid who steps onto the minor league team as a rookie and gets upset and refuses to do an interview he is expected to do. In the end, a veteran has to tell him to pull his head out of his arse and do the interview. Piss poor attitude again? Or stupid mistake?

Of all those incidents, I'd prefer that none of them happened. Not stuff that you want people on your team to do. But they happened, and none of them are the end of the world, the people involved apologised and the team forgave them. So for the time being, it could be put down to a regretable mistake. Each incident.

But apparently, you deem Mikhail to have a "piss poor attitude". Care to elaborate on why he has garnered so much of your dislike? If you don't like a guy or don't think he has a place on the team, no problem there. But you are calling into question his character. I've been following him fairly closely since he arrived in North America, but maybe I missed some other incident(s) that suggest he has a bad attitude? If you have time and a reasonable arguement, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, it seems unfair to question his attitude when he has put a lot of time and effort into making the team and trying to help the team.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
ed ible*

No need for another small euro that falls down in the corner........Blah......

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Sthabs

I like the way he s been improoving, he was gettin better defensively, playing a better all around game, more solid on his skate, he s just a bit of a late bloomer imo...I believe it s been hard for him because of his style of play, his integration here, he wasnt strong enough, he s improoved on all of these aspects the last time I saw him and it started to show big time in the AHL.

I want to see him earn his spot right from the training camp, he has a lot of work to do this off season, but nothing that cant be done....
I just want to see him have a fair chance

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Corey

Be honest, folks, should Grabovski be missed any more than Perezhogin? Between the two, I'd rather have Perezhogin.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote