HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

TBAY drafts Steve Stamkos months before draft!!

Old
05-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Through Tampa's first 58 games, they had 56 points. So they were obvious not great, but just below .500 isn't the worst thing in the world.

Though their final 24 games, they got 15 points.

So now they've suddenly gone from a 79-point team to a 51-point team (over 82 games)? How does something like that suddenly happen? How does a team become 65% as good just like that?
Well gosh ... the Blues had 33 points through the first 26 games, and 96 points in the 78 games between December 16, 2006 when Andy Murray took over as head coach and December 8, 2007 .... but only picked up 46 points in the final 56 games of '07-08 [and only 30 in the final 40]. They had no significant injuries at all and didn't make any major trades that stripped talent from the team.

How does something like that happen? Clearly, they tanked as well.

05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
fiveholio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
How does something like that happen? Clearly, they tanked as well.

Dude, that was obviously the Andy Murray late-season factor. He's great at getting guys ready for the start of the season, but he works them too hard all year and they burn out. He did it for years with the Kings, and now the Blues.

In all seriousness, it'd be really interesting to see the win/loss records for his NHL teams by month. I think his coaching technique is great for tournaments and shorter seasons, but the NHL haul just seems a bit too long for his techniques to be effective late in the season.

fiveholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
matt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveholio View Post
Dude, that was obviously the Andy Murray late-season factor. He's great at getting guys ready for the start of the season, but he works them too hard all year and they burn out. He did it for years with the Kings, and now the Blues.

In all seriousness, it'd be really interesting to see the win/loss records for his NHL teams by month. I think his coaching technique is great for tournaments and shorter seasons, but the NHL haul just seems a bit too long for his techniques to be effective late in the season.
have you seen the ice totals for the top lightning players and even watch more than 20+ games....didnt think so

matt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveholio View Post
They burned out in December? Wow ... and here I thought it was just the fact that the team's mediocre defense finally fell back to earth with a huge thud, starting on December 9 when they allowed 9 vs. the Avalanche.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Tampa didn't tank, they're just an absolutely terrible franchise. Smart teams choose a franchise player or two and fill in the blanks with role players and cheaper second tier guys. Tampa wants to have four franchise guys and just use the other players on the team as rest stops for them. They've been doing it for years.

Let em have Stamkos, they did just get finished being fleeced by Dallas in the Richards trade anyways, Stamkos will come in and they'll be right where they were last year with a different flop in net.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:14 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey97 View Post
Tampa didn't tank, they're just an absolutely terrible franchise. Smart teams choose a franchise player or two and fill in the blanks with role players and cheaper second tier guys. Tampa wants to have four franchise guys and just use the other players on the team as rest stops for them. They've been doing it for years.

Let em have Stamkos, they did just get finished being fleeced by Dallas in the Richards trade anyways, Stamkos will come in and they'll be right where they were last year with a different flop in net.
Let me guess vicious Leafs fan?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Hiishawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey97 View Post
Smart teams choose a franchise player or two and fill in the blanks with role players and cheaper second tier guys. Tampa wants to have four franchise guys and just use the other players on the team as rest stops for them. They've been doing it for years.
So, they did it in 2004 then?

Not to justify or criticize another team's management decisions but...hmmm...to summarize the principle:

Smart teams "choose" (is this some kind of fantasy league?) a franchise player or two + add role and second tier players.

Dumb teams have four franchise players +add a bunch of support players.

Well, which is better?

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Midnight

Ahem. So regarding that www.seenstamkos.com web site...

It does seem a bit over the top, but heck I love it. Yes, it's hype--but we need quite a bit more hype for the NHL in general, if you ask me.

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 10:25 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiishawk View Post
So, they did it in 2004 then?

Not to justify or criticize another team's management decisions but...hmmm...to summarize the principle:

Smart teams "choose" (is this some kind of fantasy league?) a franchise player or two + add role and second tier players.

Dumb teams have four franchise players +add a bunch of support players.

Well, which is better?

All teams have big 4 players to win generally. Last year Anaheim Giguere, Niedermayer, Pronger and Selanne.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

in these past years we have had a hard time replacing 1st and 2nd line forwards with equal or more talent. Drafting and free agency. We have lost a lot of good players since we won the cup and have been declining with every newly created hole that has yet to be refilled. You cann't get rid of Stillman, Modin, Andreychuk, Fedotenko and exspect the same results from Perrin, Hlavac, Ouellet, and Craig. This is why the old big 3 have had to pick up the slack and carry this team. This offseason will be interesting to see if they actually help the team or not. Stamkos is good, but he cant do it alone to make this team better.

Goalies help too i guess

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Devs4life

I just saw a seen stamkos billboard in northwest tampa

Devs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Tinalera

I'm wondering(honestly, I don't know) did the Pens do publicity for Crosby(NOT comparing the two other than being first overalls) or the Caps do the same for Ovechkin(ditto)?

I think if they want to market a player they should. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this in future.

I'm willing to wager whichever team gets the first overall in 09(I'm assuming it's still Tavares?) will be trumpeting it from the hill tops.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:13 PM
johnny canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I'm wondering(honestly, I don't know) did the Pens do publicity for Crosby(NOT comparing the two other than being first overalls) or the Caps do the same for Ovechkin(ditto)?

I think if they want to market a player they should. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this in future.

I'm willing to wager whichever team gets the first overall in 09(I'm assuming it's still Tavares?) will be trumpeting it from the hill tops.
Victor Hedman is an equally safe bet to be 1st overall in 09. He's a defenceman, so that might be a less exciting sell.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:38 PM
STAALing

"Steve Stamkos is a guy, that when he matures and becomes the player everyone believes he can become, that will not only score 35-45 goals with 85-90 points, but will also be a plus-13. He is that well-rounded of a player" - Phil Esposito

That quotes so funny I can't get over it. +13 ?????

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James15Sheppard View Post
"Steve Stamkos is a guy, that when he matures and becomes the player everyone believes he can become, that will not only score 35-45 goals with 85-90 points, but will also be a plus-13. He is that well-rounded of a player" - Phil Esposito

That quotes so funny I can't get over it. +13 ?????
Haha. NO! +13 is the best he'll ever do.

05-06-2008, 08:57 PM
jordy

Why wouldn't they already be marketing stamkos. He's proven himself all year long that hes the real deal and the best player in the draft. IMO hes made great strides to seperate himself from doughty.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote