HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question for Montreal (Dan) re Prospect list and Korneyev??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
  #1
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Question for Montreal (Dan) re Prospect list and Korneyev??

I wanted Montreal's opinion on this because i think he has the best handle on all our prospects around the world.... well 2nd best, but Trevor Timmins doesn't post on this board.

Hypothetically speaking, as we know its a longshot, but if Korneev were to sign a contract to come to montreal, and getting him to leave Russia was no longer an issue where would you rank him on the prospect chart??

I would go as high as to say that without the Russian situation he'd be our #1 prospect. I was wondering if you felt the same, or would you still place MaxPac and/or McDonaugh higher due to age??

I'm not sure if he met the gp rule, but i don't see Sergei Kost as a prospect anymore.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
  #2
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,996
vCash: 500
I know I'm not the guy you're asking, but having seen a bunch of Korneev from juniors, worlds, and some Russian action.. I can truthfully say he's a Top-4 defenseman at this moment in all of Russia.

He's just 24 years old too and is only getting better and better each time I see him play.

I'd personally rank him in the Top-2 in our prospect list in a tight battle with Max Pacioretty (Ryan McDonagh places 3rd).

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:32 PM
  #3
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,972
vCash: 883
From the prospects thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
On the question of how good he is/whether he can make the jump to the NHL right away.

I got to see a good bit of him over the years, although I only saw him with AK Bars, Euro Cup and the WJC's. (hope to see him play at the wc's if work premits) I don't know how others can say he'd jump into our top 4, when imo it's very difficult to gauge how a player will translate from going from a less physical, more open style that's played on bigger ice, to going to the smaller ice, more physical play. I do like Korneev's skills and I still remember the great open ice hit he put on Pitaken (sp?) during the wjc's.

That said when I saw him with AK Bars he has a small frame for a defensemen, didn't look to be very strong but was an impressive stick checker, moved the puck well, seemed to have some offensive skills. Granted he never seemed to play a big role while with AK Bars, like he did when he was 18 on the Soviet Wings where he saw time on their top unit and put up good numbers for a 18 year old defensemen in rsl, or his current situation where he is on the top pairing w/CSKA.

I'd certainly want to see him come over, although I don't expect it to ever happen, I think it would be great to see what he can do at camp, but then again I seem to over do it when watching our Russian prospects, cause I really liked what I saw from Perezhogin back when he was with Omsk, got really excited after watching 2 games of Kostitsyn despite him getting limited ice time and going pointless (he looked better then his linemate Zherdev in those games), even liked what I saw from Buturlin when he was with Lada, and held out hopes that Tarasov would come back after his days with the Citadelles.

Curious that last year it was Emelin that made the WC team, and Korneev was cut. This year Emelin doesn't even make the prelim roster (which a 19 year old Valentenko made last year) and Korneev does. would have been cool to see both on the team with Markov. Hope for Emelin's sake he can turn things around, but I'd just be happy to see him come over at this point.

On the question of whether he'll come over.

Yes we still own his rights. I have no clue if he would come over or not, I did talk to a writer that interviewed him a few years back and he told me he got the impression that Korneev didn't think he could play in the nhl or that he wouldn't come over. I can't remember the exact quote though and that was in the old nhl, plus things may have changed.

Personally I'd be surprised if he did come over, as he's playing on the top pairing for the former Red Army team, I would guess that he makes decent money. But my hope is that the Habs could try and work something out with him, perhaps something where they sign him and give him a decent signing bonus (nothing crazy but a show of good faith) and even give a clause to let him go back to Russia if he can't make the nhl, since he'd have to be on a two way contract and a max put on his ahl pay, perhaps it would entice him to take the gamble to at least see if he can make the team. Then again Gainey might not even be interested in him, or perhaps not even remotely interested in doing that kind of deal. My thought is just that I would like to at least see what he could do, but if he never comes over then so be it.


Last edited by Watsatheo: 05-06-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
  #4
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 25,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I wanted Montreal's opinion on this because i think he has the best handle on all our prospects around the world.... well 2nd best, but Trevor Timmins doesn't post on this board.

Hypothetically speaking, as we know its a longshot, but if Korneev were to sign a contract to come to montreal, and getting him to leave Russia was no longer an issue where would you rank him on the prospect chart??

I would go as high as to say that without the Russian situation he'd be our #1 prospect. I was wondering if you felt the same, or would you still place MaxPac and/or McDonaugh higher due to age??

I'm not sure if he met the gp rule, but i don't see Sergei Kost as a prospect anymore.

Funny cause I was just working on the season end top 20 article for my site and was thinking what I should do with him. I left him out of the rankings due to him turning 24, with 6 years in the rsl under his belt. That said he's exploded the last two years, if you look at what he did with AK Bars, he was often on the 4th pairing, had injuries troubles and was even put on reserve during the nhl lockout when several nhlers flocked to the rsl. In 3 years he had 15 pts, in the last 2 years with CSKA he's had some 45 points.

Clearly you are much, higher on him then me. There's no doubt in my mind that Pacioretty is our top prospect. There's no way I would rank Korneev as our top prospect and I wouldn't rank him as our top D prospect as I would think that Korneev would have the same type of troubles Streit has in his own end, a lack of strength would be a problem. But I am going off what I saw when he was with AK Bars, and I am in no way comparing him to Streit, and I'm just guessing how he would translate in the more physical NA game.

Frankly I am more excited about guys like Subban, O'Byrne and McDonagh because these guys already have the physical skills (skating/speed/strength/checking) and there's hope that they will continue to improve. Korneev has better puck skills but the question is how would he handle the physical game, trying to clear the crease, contain his man along the boards, etc...

Would be cool to see him come over if Gainey can work it out. Always wondered why we never heard anything about Korneev in the media, any word if the Habs had ever tried to get him to come over or if the team was even interested in him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
  #5
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I really dont know what to say about him, but the only thing is sure, if he is as good as you think (op) I am sure Russia will lay the big bucks to him.. so i doubt he would come here.. unless he has a true nhl desire...

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:06 PM
  #6
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Could he be another Streit? If Streit does move on?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:35 PM
  #7
DirtyJeeves
Registered User
 
DirtyJeeves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anderson, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Could he be another Streit? If Streit does move on?
Only if he can play the wing.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
  #8
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
How would he compare to Mike Green?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:21 PM
  #9
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,402
vCash: 152
How would he compare to Bobby Orr?

Or Brian Leetch?

or what about David Wilkie?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
  #10
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Funny cause I was just working on the season end top 20 article for my site and was thinking what I should do with him. I left him out of the rankings due to him turning 24, with 6 years in the rsl under his belt. That said he's exploded the last two years, if you look at what he did with AK Bars, he was often on the 4th pairing, had injuries troubles and was even put on reserve during the nhl lockout when several nhlers flocked to the rsl. In 3 years he had 15 pts, in the last 2 years with CSKA he's had some 45 points.

Clearly you are much, higher on him then me. There's no doubt in my mind that Pacioretty is our top prospect. There's no way I would rank Korneev as our top prospect and I wouldn't rank him as our top D prospect as I would think that Korneev would have the same type of troubles Streit has in his own end, a lack of strength would be a problem. But I am going off what I saw when he was with AK Bars, and I am in no way comparing him to Streit, and I'm just guessing how he would translate in the more physical NA game.

Frankly I am more excited about guys like Subban, O'Byrne and McDonagh because these guys already have the physical skills (skating/speed/strength/checking) and there's hope that they will continue to improve. Korneev has better puck skills but the question is how would he handle the physical game, trying to clear the crease, contain his man along the boards, etc...

Would be cool to see him come over if Gainey can work it out. Always wondered why we never heard anything about Korneev in the media, any word if the Habs had ever tried to get him to come over or if the team was even interested in him.

Thank You for your site. The thing I really like is the pictures of these prospects in their junior or college uni. Now if it was updated more often

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:26 AM
  #11
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
How would he compare to Mike Green?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
How would he compare to Bobby Orr?

Or Brian Leetch?

or what about David Wilkie?
How about a young Zhitnik.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
  #12
LV Hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Latvia
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
How about a young Zhitnik.
Yeah I would have to say he's more a Raflaski/Niedermayer hybrid.

Beaker, that Russian guy Slitty is coming out with his annual report on Russian prospects after the WC. He knows Habs fans are losing it trying to find info on guys like Korneev and Emelin. He seems to know what he's talking about just be patient the info you are looking for is coming soon.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
  #13
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
I think people are making some pretty lofty comparisons. Rafalski/Niedermayer hybrid? Zhitnik plays/played bigger than Korneev has when I've seen him. Personally I think Korneev is closer to a Kaberle, in terms of top potential. I'm not sure how well Korneev QBs a powerplay, but in terms of his passing and skating skills..

Anyway, he's not a prospect any longer and I doubt we ever see him. It's a big difference playing top minutes in the RSL to possibly playing top minutes in the AHL. If we could convince him to come over on an "if you don't make the team, you can go back to the RSL" contract, that would be amazing. Anyone know when his RSL contract is up? Can we make sure he doesn't have the same agent as Emelin?

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:33 AM
  #14
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,972
vCash: 883
Well according to Thief's site, his contract with his RSL club was up April 30, 2008. In other words, he's technically free.

Take this with a grain of salt, but this is from a guy who posts CSKA video highlights on youtube.

Quote:
Yes, I`ve got Korneev's Highlights and I'll upload it to YouTube soon.

Korneev is an assistant captain of CSKA Moscow, best defenceman by minutes played and "+\-" in CSKA and he is in top-10 of RSL defencemen.

As i know, he will play next season in RSL, and in 2009/2010 season he wants to go to NHL. Journalists and RSL coaches think, that Korneev can grow into a best european defenceman next season.


Last edited by Watsatheo: 05-07-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
  #15
Jake5
Registered User
 
Jake5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
I was impressed by Korneev when I saw him play in the Russia-Czech game last weekend...hopefully the Habs can get him over here

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
  #16
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
His stretch pass on Ovechkins goal was amazing.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:42 PM
  #17
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Who drafted Korneev? Savard or Timmins?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
  #18
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,972
vCash: 883
FWIW, Tony Marinaro told me he'd forward my questions about Korneev to Timmins and that he'd ask about him the next time he's on. Which would be near draft time.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:49 PM
  #19
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Who drafted Korneev? Savard or Timmins?
I think Savard, which might be part of the reason that he's not signed by us.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
  #20
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Seriously that pass was a thing of beauty, it was just as good as the Towes or Nash goal. I could watch it over and over again. It was beautiful.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:03 PM
  #21
benji
Took too much, man.
 
benji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Too much.
Posts: 10,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Is he comparable to a middle-aged Craig Ludwig? Or a third-coming of a fourth-year Marek Malik? WE NEED DETAILS HERE.


Other than that, it seems like he would be a fantastic addition in Montreal, but at what price? It would just be gravy if he came over at some point.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:05 PM
  #22
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Is he comparable to a middle-aged Craig Ludwig? Or a third-coming of a fourth-year Marek Malik? WE NEED DETAILS HERE.


Other than that, it seems like he would be a fantastic addition in Montreal, but at what price? It would just be gravy if he came over at some point.
More offensive than either of those two.... And you aren't getting Ludwig's defensive game, not his physical side, nor his shot blocking....

You are gonna get a better skater than those two though... and better passing and overall offensive skills.... His defensive game will need to be learned and played the same style as markov, not as physical, but keep his body between his man and the net, keep an active stick that kinda thing.

A Poor man's Mike Green is the best comparison i've seen.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
  #23
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,972
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
His stretch pass on Ovechkins goal was amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Seriously that pass was a thing of beauty, it was just as good as the Towes or Nash goal. I could watch it over and over again. It was beautiful.
Unfortunately, it wasn't Korneev. It was number 37, Denis Grebeshkov. They made a mistake I guess.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
  #24
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Unfortunately, it wasn't Korneev. It was number 37, Denis Grebeshkov. They made a mistake I guess.
Really in the write up it said differently.

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-wo...ash=79385fa5ed

Quote:
Ovechkin made it 6-0 at 38:07. Konstantin Korneyev gave the NHL scoring champion a magnificent breakaway pass, from the Russian goal line to the Swiss blueline,

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
  #25
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 500
Last time i saw him played was at the 2003 wjc in halifax and he was great (what a great game that was in the semi vs finland)...i kind of forget about him since it didnt look like he wanted to play nhl anyway but now after 2 solid year in the rsl im looking for to watch him tommorow at the wc

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.