HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What is your preference for next year?

View Poll Results: Which is your preference?
Reload. Sign a new elite player or 2, get a few complimentary pieces, and go go go! 35 30.70%
Try to bring back basically the same team, with a few minor tweaks here and there. 41 35.96%
Let all or most of the FA walk, and implement more kids from HFD to accelerate the rebuild. 30 26.32%
Something else (post below) 8 7.02%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Try to bring back the same team with a few minor tweaks. We weren't that far off from a Cup this year in my humble opinion. With Lundqvist we are good in net for a LONG time. Offensively, we need to let go of Brendan (sorry Shanny) and find a more mobile winger with a scoring touch (Ryder, Malone) to play with Gomez. Basically, we need a winger on the second line who can put up 30+ goals with Gomez as the playmaker. Re-signing Jagr to play with Dubinsky will further ensure a good first line (and Dubinsky further developing and gaining more confidence). Give Prucha a little more ice time this year (sorry, I know everyone loves the new young kids but we already had a kid who had 52 goals in his first two seasons, he still has a ton of potential in my eyes). We just forgot about him and I HATE THAT more than anything else in the organization. The Rangers are the only team that will punish a player for scoring 52 goals in his two debut seasons. Instead, lets place this less mobile forward (Shanny) on the PP to stay absolutely stationary and hope Gomez feeds him for the perfect pass. Prucha was amazing on the PP with Jagr in 05-06 and 06-07.

We need to sign a true QB on the PP and sign one shut down defenseman. Marc Staal will develop even more next year. All of that and we'll have the Cup. Guaranteed, we were just missing a few essential tools and the Penguins made us pay for it this year.

It also wouldn't hurt to get a new specialty team coach.

Why is rebuilding even a choice? There is nothing to rebuild, thats just for people who want more kids in the lineup. We have made the playoffs the last three years and the second round the last two. Nothing to rebuild there. Just missing a few things from putting us over the edge.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
DutchShamrock

Let Straka and Shanny go. Roszival must sign for the same or less or he can take a walk. Re-sign Avery.

Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Cally
??Drury??
Korp-Betts-Sjostrom

Roszival-Staal
Girardi-Tyuti
Pock/Hutchinson/Sauer/Baranka/Mara

The Drury line is my big question. I want to go into camp with a battle for those spots. You can have Anisimov going for the center spot, potentially pushing Drury to LW on any of the top 3 lines (Drury, Avery, and Dawes are pretty much interchangable b/w those lines) Bourette may earn that RW spot. Korpikoski can take the C or LW spot there. G. Moore is potentially making the team. I like the flexibility that line up provides. Prucha could be a player... too expensive to trade but given an opportunity, who knows. Sjostrom could move around too.

That's alot of options so I don't understand why we have to look elsewhere. Rolston fits that ideal too, he can play anywhere.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it definitely is interesting and does create more size down the middle. I just don't know what it would take and how much he has left in the tank (as I mentioned, I didn't get to watch him much this season).

Of course on the other side, if Jagr is resigned and a guy like Rolston takes Shanny's place, that could be a bit additive too, but this team may need to get bigger.
One more thing, Fletch: where would you put Drury on the list of FA wingers this summer? Near the top I would think. So if you sign Holik you save money. You add much needed size and grit. And you get a good winger to boot.

Again, just going off the board.

05-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'll throw a name out there: Bobby Holik. Allows Drury to move to wing. Adds size and grit to the team. Matches up against Crosby.

Off the top of my head:

Ryder/UFA-Dubi-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Drury
Avery-Holik-Callahan
Korpikoski-Betts-Sjostrom
i dont know how much holik would take but he got 4.25 last year. not exactly bang for you buck considering he only had 34 points. and do you really think holik, at this stage in his career, could keep up with guys like crobsy, oveckin, malkin.....

didnt you guys "re-load" last year? if i were in your guys position i would just make some tweaks. i mean with a season your belt with the new guys, you know what they need for them to have success so just add a few complimentary guys

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
option 4

Resign jagr, avery and valiquette

Sign a Liles, Commodore and Ryder

Avery (3.5)- Dubinsky (.633)- Jagr (6) = 10.133
Prucha (1.6)- Gomez (7.357)- Ryder (4) = 12.957
Callahan (.489)- Drury (7.05) - Dawes (.364) = 7.903
Korpikowski (.615)- Betts (.615)- Sjostrom/Orr (1.4 both) = 2.63

Forwards (33.623)

Staal (.827)- Liles (3.5) = (4.327)
Tyutin (2.8)- Girardi (1.55) = (3.35)
Commodore (3.0)- Backman/Pock (3.1 both) = (6.1)

Defense (13.777)

Hank (6.875)
Valley (.750)

Goalies (7.625)

55.025 Total

I'm pretty sure you can get that under the cap.... 56.3 Estimate right?

I think I was genrous with the free agents as well, maybe some will disagree but I gave those guys all a raise..

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Option 4.

Listen, I don't want to bring back essentially the same team next year. Our team this year was, for the most part, dysfunctional even when we were playing well. Add onto that a year older Jagr, Straka and Shanahan and I think it's gonna be a problem. I don't want Roszival back at $6m, which is probably what he's going to get on the open market.

Bring Jagr back if he asks 4m on a 1 year deal. It isn't likely to happen, but you never know.

Add a mid-level 2nd line scorer a la Ryder. Add a mid level D a la Liles.

Do nothing else.

Yes, we take a step backwards for a year. I still think our team D will get us into the playoffs. It's all in prep for a better UFA class and one more year for our top prospects to develop.

Oh, and ask around for young-ish snipers that may be on the trading block like Kovalchuk, Gaborik or Nash... as has been talked about. See what the package would be to get one. If it makes sense, do it but let's not be over-eager.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:38 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Option 4.

Listen, I don't want to bring back essentially the same team next year. Our team this year was, for the most part, dysfunctional even when we were playing well. Add onto that a year older Jagr, Straka and Shanahan and I think it's gonna be a problem. I don't want Roszival back at $6m, which is probably what he's going to get on the open market.

Bring Jagr back if he asks 4m on a 1 year deal. It isn't likely to happen, but you never know.

Add a mid-level 2nd line scorer a la Ryder. Add a mid level D a la Liles.

Do nothing else.

Yes, we take a step backwards for a year. I still think our team D will get us into the playoffs. It's all in prep for a better UFA class and one more year for our top prospects to develop.

Oh, and ask around for young-ish snipers that may be on the trading block like Kovalchuk, Gaborik or Nash... as has been talked about. See what the package would be to get one. If it makes sense, do it but let's not be over-eager.
i like this thought mostly.

and i'll add that talent-wise even though it would be considered a step back, it would make the team more uniform in the way they attack so that things don't look so disjointed/disconnected like they have been with the jagr line for 3 years.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Ace2008

right now if Dawes/Sjostrom/Callahan/ get a qualifying offer of say 900k or less+ valliquete gets say 2 yr 1.7 deal and the coaching does a good job of moving up 1 more young rookie Defender like say...Michael Sauer(a bigger, tougher version of Girardi basically) then the Blueshirts will be reasonably good. I think that Valliquette is a little underrated since he was Pierre M's Monster Backup goalie of the Eastern Conf this season.

W/o any crazy FA's contract the blueshirts have right now

Prucha-----------------Dubi---------------Dawes/G.Moore

Callahan-------------Gomez--------------G.Moore/Dawes

Korpikoski-----------Drury----------------Sjostrom(looked good in game 5)

Byers----------------Betts----------------Orr

Hollwegg-----------Anisimov------------Jessiman

Tyutin-----------Girardi(I know Girardi isn't a top 2 dman yet, but Fedor is

Backman--------UFA(Roz/commodore/J.Smith/A.Foote)@4$mil for 1-2 yrs

Staal--Redden/Orpik--Orpik is tougher but Redden can net 40+pts and is much quicker but about 20 lbs lighter-

Pock--M.Sauer(Maybe trade backman+Pock @draft and sign Kurt sauer)

before anyone complains about the D spending...its only a 2 mil increase per year and only for 2 years( then Cherapanov-Anisimov-Kovalchuk(or 08 draftee's from Russia like Filatov-/Gratchev-/Stefanovich/-Tulupov) will be key)
Po<K---M.Sauer(maybe sign ufa brother Kurt and play them together?)

I think 1 true power forward like Ryan Malone would be nice...but something tells me he might just stay in his hometown of Pitts-

They've got 3 of the best Young Centers in the World to feed him the puck and they've got a young phenom in net...pretty solid core despite the high cap hits...kind of silly for a young Kevin Stevens type of winger to go for an extra 1-2 mill/yr somewhere else when pitts is his home.

1 good cheap 4th line replacement would be bringing back Isbister(he has decent value @ 15 mins a game and about 600k cap hi$

also how about Mike York...@ 31 he still has the Prucha style speed/ all around smarts on the puck. Very underrated player that still has it.

I say sign Avery, Roszival, and Mara and trade them out west so they don't compete against the Rangers and then get a pair of 2 or 3rd picks for them. Use those picks + Prucha to move up in a very deep draft to land one of the Big 8 defenders in the early part of this draft or simply draft the best passed over Russian power Forwards(Stefanovich/Gratchev/Tulupov) usually I don't recommend drafting Russians but these guys somehow I think will be decent 2nd liners( w/ a little bit of grit as well)

Oh...and before anybody tells me about a dozen reasons why Greg Moore doesn't belong on a line w/ Gomez or Dubinsky do please remember that the guy has leadership/ grit and a fine 1st showing filling in for an injured Jagr earlier this season...No he isn't a scoring winger but neither is Avery and Avery wants 3(no...make that 4 Mill/yr..***) I like avery but in my eyes he was the proverbial bottled lightning the big $ contracts go to players that stay healthy and he couldn't even crack 60 games this regular season let alone 80... Moore w/ increased responsibilities could easily crack 10-15 goals and play a physical presence on any line...He is smart w/ the puck on the defensive side and can at the very least pass the puck...instead of getting guys who have "name" recognition" I'd like to see the team get a pair of leading dmen and let the forwards battle for spots...

This is a good enough team to make the playoffs....To really be considered a serious cup contender they'd need a #1 Defender and there aren't any in this years UFA pool ...unless somebody is banking on a huge breakout from Joni Pitkanen and wants to pay him his 4.5-5 million.

Win w/ 4-5 quality gritty lines and let the youth grind its way to goals

while its not as exciting/sexy on paper as having Marian Hossa on the top line...Reality check...he's been injured or far less than 100% the last 2 springs do you really want to pony up 7-9 million in cap hit to find out if he can stay healthy for the NYR in the playoffs(please don't say he's doing great this playoffs since he's not facing top checking pressure or attention when everyone is focusing on Malkin+Crosby

on a NYR team opposing defenders would be focusing on him!

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
option 3 isn't an option unless your goal is to land in the lottery and have a shot at Tavares, which apparently is what many "fans" want.
One thing you can bet on every year is that half the fans will demand that not-yet-ready or never-will-be-ready prospects are put in positions they can't handle, ruining the team and their own confidence.

Apparently if we put Jessiman on the second line, we'll have a young, big, tough power forward on the second line... rather than just a big kid who can't handle the pressure and would get embarrassed every night.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
also how about Mike York...@ 31 he still has the Prucha style speed/ all around smarts on the puck. Very underrated player that still has it.
Unfortunately, he also has Prucha's stats.

Quote:
I say sign Avery, Roszival, and Mara and trade them out west so they don't compete against the Rangers and then get a pair of 2 or 3rd picks for them.
That's is not even close to realistic. Besides, if you ever did manage to pull that off
be prepared for no free agent to ever sign here again.

Quote:
Oh...and before anybody tells me about a dozen reasons why Greg Moore doesn't belong on a line w/ Gomez or Dubinsky do please remember that the guy has leadership/ grit and a fine 1st showing filling in for an injured Jagr earlier this season
Because he hasn't proven anything in this league and the idea is to upgrade the those lines.

Quote:
...No he isn't a scoring winger
That's the other reason.

but neither is Avery and Avery wants 3(no...make that 4 Mill/yr..***) I like avery but in my eyes he was the proverbial bottled lightning the big $ contracts go to players that stay healthy and he couldn't even crack 60 games this regular season let alone 80... Moore w/ increased responsibilities could easily crack 10-15 goals and play a physical presence on any line...He is smart w/ the puck on the defensive side and can at the very least pass the puck...instead of getting guys who have "name" recognition" I'd like to see the team get a pair of leading dmen and let the forwards battle for spots...

Quote:
This is a good enough team to make the playoffs
No, it really isn't.

Quote:
unless somebody is banking on a huge breakout from Joni Pitkanen and wants to pay him his 4.5-5 million.
He's not a free agent.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:46 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Let most of the free agents walk (Sign Jagr, Strudwick and Avery if he's cheap) and bring in kids from Hartford along with signing a couple UFAs.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:47 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
right now if Dawes/Sjostrom/Callahan/ get a qualifying offer of say 900k or less+ valliquete gets say 2 yr 1.7 deal and the coaching does a good job of moving up 1 more young rookie Defender like say...Michael Sauer(a bigger, tougher version of Girardi basically) then the Blueshirts will be reasonably good. I think that Valliquette is a little underrated since he was Pierre M's Monster Backup goalie of the Eastern Conf this season.

W/o any crazy FA's contract the blueshirts have right now

Prucha-----------------Dubi---------------Dawes/G.Moore

Callahan-------------Gomez--------------G.Moore/Dawes

Korpikoski-----------Drury----------------Sjostrom(looked good in game 5)

Byers----------------Betts----------------Orr

Hollwegg-----------Anisimov------------Jessiman

Tyutin-----------Girardi(I know Girardi isn't a top 2 dman yet, but Fedor is

Backman--------UFA(Roz/commodore/J.Smith/A.Foote)@4$mil for 1-2 yrs

Staal--Redden/Orpik--Orpik is tougher but Redden can net 40+pts and is much quicker but about 20 lbs lighter-

Pock--M.Sauer(Maybe trade backman+Pock @draft and sign Kurt sauer)

before anyone complains about the D spending...its only a 2 mil increase per year and only for 2 years( then Cherapanov-Anisimov-Kovalchuk(or 08 draftee's from Russia like Filatov-/Gratchev-/Stefanovich/-Tulupov) will be key)
Po<K---M.Sauer(maybe sign ufa brother Kurt and play them together?)

I think 1 true power forward like Ryan Malone would be nice...but something tells me he might just stay in his hometown of Pitts-

They've got 3 of the best Young Centers in the World to feed him the puck and they've got a young phenom in net...pretty solid core despite the high cap hits...kind of silly for a young Kevin Stevens type of winger to go for an extra 1-2 mill/yr somewhere else when pitts is his home.

1 good cheap 4th line replacement would be bringing back Isbister(he has decent value @ 15 mins a game and about 600k cap hi$

I say sign Avery, Roszival, and Mara and trade them out west so they don't compete against the Rangers and then get a pair of 2 or 3rd picks for them. Use those picks + Prucha to move up in a very deep draft to land one of the Big 8 defenders in the early part of this draft or simply draft the best passed over Russian power Forwards(Stefanovich/Gratchev/Tulupov) usually I don't recommend drafting Russians but these guys somehow I think will be decent 2nd liners( w/ a little bit of grit as well)

Oh...and before anybody tells me about a dozen reasons why Greg Moore doesn't belong on a line w/ Gomez or Dubinsky do please remember that the guy has leadership/ grit and a fine 1st showing filling in for an injured Jagr earlier this season...No he isn't a scoring winger but neither is Avery and Avery wants 3(no...make that 4 Mill/yr..***) I like avery but in my eyes he was the proverbial bottled lightning the big $ contracts go to players that stay healthy and he couldn't even crack 60 games this regular season let alone 80... Moore w/ increased responsibilities could easily crack 10-15 goals and play a physical presence on any line...He is smart w/ the puck on the defensive side and can at the very least pass the puck...instead of getting guys who have "name" recognition" I'd like to see the team get a pair of leading dmen and let the forwards battle for spots...

This is a good enough team to make the playoffs....To really be considered a serious cup contender they'd need a #1 Defender and there aren't any in this years UFA pool ...unless somebody is banking on a huge breakout from Joni Pitkanen and wants to pay him his 4.5-5 million.

Win w/ 4-5 quality gritty lines and let the youth grind its way to goals

while its not as exciting/sexy on paper as having Marian Hossa on the top line...Reality check...he's been injured or far less than 100% the last 2 springs do you really want to pony up 7-9 million in cap hit to find out if he can stay healthy for the NYR in the playoffs(please don't say he's doing great this playoffs since he's not facing top checking pressure or attention when everyone is focusing on Malkin+Crosby

on a NYR team opposing defenders would be focusing on him!

this team would give you a shot at tavares thats all it would do

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote