HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr Wants to Play For the Rangers - per Newsday

Old
05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
nyrage

vCash: 500
Jagr Wants to Play For the Rangers - per Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,5329323.story

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - In his most definitive comments to date, Jaromir Jagr said Tuesday that he would prefer to sign with the Rangers next season rather than with another NHL club and indicated that he wants to play two more years before returning to the Czech Republic.

"First, I am going to talk to the Rangers," the 36-year-old Jagr said. "That's No. 1 option for me. I feel very comfortable here, with all the people around this organization who are nice to me. They gave me a chance to show everybody I still can play hockey. Everybody doubted me when I was playing in Washington, for whatever reason. The Rangers gave me a chance and believed in me."

- Also, the article mentions that Shanny wants to keep playing, but Renney said that it would have to be at a reduced role.

- Plus Avery would like to stay in NY, but is no closer to a contract.

- Renney says the team's top two needs are a power play QB and a big defenseman.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

4 mil
1 year

Otherwise let em walk.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
4 mil
1 year

Otherwise let em walk.
you have to be kidding......i would take jagr at 6 million a year for 2 years....he is still the best winger on the team BY FAR and he is still the player other teams make their gameplan around....he is the captain and he has the ability to absolutely dominate the games......6million for 2 years is about right...keep him around for when cheraponov comes over so he can learn

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:29 PM
mstraka82

no matter what i would take Jags back <33 the thought of him being on another team is making me throw up, and of course i would love to have Shanny back but like renney said reduced role you need him in the lockerroom

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
you have to be kidding......i would take jagr at 6 million a year for 2 years....he is still the best winger on the team BY FAR and he is still the player other teams make their gameplan around....he is the captain and he has the ability to absolutely dominate the games......6million for 2 years is about right...keep him around for when cheraponov comes over so he can learn
First of all, you're talking about a 2mil cap hit.

Second of all, Jagr not only changes the way other teams play, but he changes the way the Rangers play, and usually not for the better (see: anemic powerplay).

I'm not willing to restrict the team for him anymore. It's not to say I don't love the guy, but it's time to move on.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
First of all, you're talking about a 2mil cap hit.

Second of all, Jagr not only changes the way other teams play, but he changes the way the Rangers play, and usually not for the better (see: anemic powerplay).

I'm not willing to restrict the team for him anymore. It's not to say I don't love the guy, but it's time to move on.
so who will be eating his minutes?.....the rangers dont have any top line wingers next year and they barely have any second line wingers....let his tutor dubi some more and he will be fine...he is worth it

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
mstraka82

Jags will mentor Dubi and everybody else, he is still great stop doubting him cause he is 36 he a rare 36 year old

Old
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
4 mil
1 year

Otherwise let em walk.
whom are u refering to Avery or Shanny, cause you sure aren't talking about Jagr.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
xander

I honestly think that the best option for this team going forward is to resign Jagr for next year (and I would consider a two year deal as well.) There simply is no replacement within the organization that will be ready next year, and the only FA option that can replace his numbers is Hossa, and I don't think it's advisable to give a 4th player a long term contract at 6+ million in the course of one calendar year (and Hossa will cost well more than 6 mil, probably 8+.) Bring Jagr back for another year at 5 mil, build on the chemistry that he and Dubinsky have built, and hope that the continued progress of the young guys makes up for the act that Jagr is slowing down. He's not the all world player that he was for most of his career, but I still think that a healthy Jagr can give you 70 points, and that will be enough if the young guys keep going forward. There's a difference between slowing down, and being done, Jaromir is certainly not done.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Salz

I'll take Shanny as a 4th liner who plays 5-10 minutes a game.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Agreed. I just can't see Gomez and Drury as this team's offensive driving force. Neither is quite good enough to carry us like Jagr still can. I also think he's good for Dubinsky.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrage View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,5329323.story

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - In his most definitive comments to date, Jaromir Jagr said Tuesday that he would prefer to sign with the Rangers next season rather than with another NHL club and indicated that he wants to play two more years before returning to the Czech Republic.

"First, I am going to talk to the Rangers," the 36-year-old Jagr said. "That's No. 1 option for me. I feel very comfortable here, with all the people around this organization who are nice to me. They gave me a chance to show everybody I still can play hockey. Everybody doubted me when I was playing in Washington, for whatever reason. The Rangers gave me a chance and believed in me."

- Also, the article mentions that Shanny wants to keep playing, but Renney said that it would have to be at a reduced role.

- Plus Avery would like to stay in NY, but is no closer to a contract.

- Renney says the team's top two needs are a power play QB and a big defenseman.
whats gomez??

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:46 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I'll take Shanny as a 4th liner who plays 5-10 minutes a game.
boom. 4th line and special teams

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:46 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
whats gomez??
I think he meant on the blue line

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
whats gomez??
Gomez is not a PP quaterback. He means someone like Campbell or Kaberle, a defenseman with a big shot from the point, and one who can set up plays well.

05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
4 mil
1 year

Otherwise let em walk.
talk about insulting the guy, i think to get jagr back it will cost roughly $6m per and i say give him it he loves being a ranger and i have no doubt his regular season play will most likely improve on this years.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Yay, take Jagz

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:49 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
boom. 4th line and special teams
thats it, plus Shanny could take over for Hollywood haha he aint gonna score and shanny has a better possibility of scoring over him anyday

Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
whom are u refering to Avery or Shanny, cause you sure aren't talking about Jagr.
LOL I read that and thought the same exact line....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Jags will mentor Dubi and everybody else, he is still great stop doubting him cause he is 36 he a rare 36 year old
Really? Cuz what I saw for most of the season was a 36 year old who has lost a step and was showing his age. Force of will will not keep you playing elite hockey through an 82 game season and into the playoffs. Did Jagr get a ton of attention this year that wasn't put on other people? Sure he did. Did it work on him this time? You bet it did. Why? Because he has lost a step

The Jagr we saw in the last few weeks of the season and in the playoffs is not the Jagr we're going to see all year next year. We'll get glimpses. If they do resign him and I'm wrong, then I'll eat crow. But I absolutely refuse to let his recent performance blind me to what I saw the rest of the year.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:50 PM
xander

Quote:
whats gomez??
Gomez has not played the point this year, though I am surprised that he has not been tried there. I usually dislike the idea of putting forwards at the point, not only because they often leave you vulnerable to short handed goals, but because i feel that forwards rarely understand the position the way defensmen do. Few forwards are as good at holding the blueline as your average defensemen are. Still, while I'd rather try and find a defensemen who can fill that roll, if such a player does not materialize, Gomez is the type of distributor and strong defenseive forward that you'd think could play the point on the power play.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I think he meant on the blue line
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Gomez is not a PP quaterback. He means someone like Campbell or Kaberle, a defenseman with a big shot from the point, and one who can set up plays well.
o ok.

yea we're set, we have oduya for that

Old
05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
thats it, plus Shanny could take over for Hollywood haha he aint gonna score and shanny has a better possibility of scoring over him anyday
Shanny is also less likely to slam an apposing player from behind in the offensive zone right after the rangers have come back from a 2-0 deficit.

I've previously said that I was opposed to shanny coming back, but I meant that in his current role. You watch him on the PK and you can see that he still plays well in his own end and can contribute, just not as a scoring winger. If he's willing to play a grinder/PK role, then I'd welcome him back (his salary would have to drop as well.)

Old
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Gomez has not played the point this year, though I am surprised that he has not been tried there. I usually dislike the idea of putting forwards at the point, not only because they often leave you vulnerable to short handed goals, but because i feel that forwards rarely understand the position the way defensmen do. Few forwards are as good at holding the blueline as your average defensemen are. Still, while I'd rather try and find a defensemen who can fill that roll, if such a player does not materialize, Gomez is the type of distributor and strong defenseive forward that you'd think could play the point on the power play.
i wouldnt play gomez at the point for the powerplay. his first priority isnt to shoot, plus there are guys with better shots then him. a move gomez and elias would pull is elias would set up around the hash marks and gomez would take a slapshot but it was more of a slappass and elias would ramp it top corner. it worked pretty well. but other then that i would have gomez as you main shot from teh point

Old
05-06-2008, 10:56 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Really? Cuz what I saw for most of the season was a 36 year old who has lost a step and was showing his age. Force of will will not keep you playing elite hockey through an 82 game season and into the playoffs. Did Jagr get a ton of attention this year that wasn't put on other people? Sure he did. Did it work on him this time? You bet it did. Why? Because he has lost a step

The Jagr we saw in the last few weeks of the season and in the playoffs is not the Jagr we're going to see all year next year. We'll get glimpses. If they do resign him and I'm wrong, then I'll eat crow. But I absolutely refuse to let his recent performance blind me to what I saw the rest of the year.
He hasnt lost a step, he saved it for the playoffs, and he still put up semi good numbers during the season, what do you want out of him of course he isnt gonna be the same as he was, but he still can control the puck like an animal