HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Wants to Play For the Rangers - per Newsday

Old
05-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
If they do resign him and I'm wrong, then I'll eat crow. But I absolutely refuse to let his recent performance blind me to what I saw the rest of the year.

He's far from done. This team had a tough time adjusting to having THREE new centers. Thats not easy.

Next year that issue at least will be easier.

Sign Jagr

Sign Avery

Sign a winger for Gomez ( not Hossa )

Trade assets for a true IMPACT D man (its time)

05-06-2008, 10:58 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Jagr at 5 mill for 1 year.

I'm not a fan of his, and I think his time in NY is done. He's not going to get any better from here on out, and he has to have everything a certain way for him to produce. This year, their system was a bit more stiff, and he only hit 25 goals and 70 points because of a late season surge. He was money in the playoffs, leading all scorers at the time of his exit with 15 points in 9 games, but if he has hold back in the regular season to save for the playoffs in order to be effective, I'd rather go out and sign Marian Hossa.

At least with Hossa, we aren't going to have to have our power play work through one player, and Hossa is FAR BETTER in his own end, is just as strong on the puck, and is faster. This team started to move in a different direction this year, and I think they should continue it.

Let Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Malik, and Mara go. Trade Backman, and demote Hollweg. Eventually Jagr is going to have to retire... let's just face it and move on now. We have a great young core to work with.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
but other then that i would have gomez as you main shot from teh point
I agree, and I don't think gomez is an ideal solution. However, if you put a strong shot on the other point, I think gomez is an interesting option. However, this is something I would visit only if a more ideal player can be found.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:00 PM
mstraka82

yea we have a great core, but who would you rather lead the kids Jaromir or Marian who by the way was pretty much a bad leader when he played for the Senators

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
He's far from done. This team had a tough time adjusting to having THREE new centers
You forgot the fact that the team had such a tough time because the team was Jagr-centric. Maybe he creates more dysfunction than he solves with the way the team is built right now. Maybe that's the biggest problem on the powerplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
He hasnt lost a step, he saved it for the playoffs, and he still put up semi good numbers during the season, what do you want out of him of course he isnt gonna be the same as he was, but he still can control the puck like an animal
First of all, the bolded part is not really a good thing, although you're making it out to be. You have to get to the playoffs to turn it on in them. A 37-year old Jagr-driven team is going to be worse off than a 36-year old Jagr-driven team.

Second of all, those numbers he put up this season aren't $6m numbers. Not for this team at this time. I don't expect him to be the same as he was. But since I don't expect him to be the same as he was, I sure as hell don't want to pay MORE for him than we were.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:15 PM
tdawg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Shanny is also less likely to slam an apposing player from behind in the offensive zone right after the rangers have come back from a 2-0 deficit.

I've previously said that I was opposed to shanny coming back, but I meant that in his current role. You watch him on the PK and you can see that he still plays well in his own end and can contribute, just not as a scoring winger. If he's willing to play a grinder/PK role, then I'd welcome him back (his salary would have to drop as well.)
If you think that last years playoff performance vs Buffalo and this year vs Pitt that shanny did something then we were watching something different. He is useless, he cant score anymore. He refuses to hit anything and stands along to boards and loafs. The guy is done and i want no part of him next year. No part of that fossil. Move on it proved that we were not good enough and we need changes. Korpedo had as many goals as shanny in the playoffs, remember that.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:15 PM
mstraka82

i would rather have a 37 year old Jagr who has a lot of passion than half of the players out there

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
TheHotRock

give Jagr a two year deal for whatever he wants. I'd rather commit huge money to him for 2 years than to Hossa or anyone else for 5-8. Also, Jagr is elligible for an incentive laden contract..take advantage of the system like you did for shanny last year. he wants to stay, he won't feel slighted....he's the captain, he knows we're a couple of pieces away.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:27 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
If you think that last years playoff performance vs Buffalo and this year vs Pitt that shanny did something then we were watching something different. He is useless, he cant score anymore. He refuses to hit anything and stands along to boards and loafs. The guy is done and i want no part of him next year. No part of that fossil. Move on it proved that we were not good enough and we need changes. Korpedo had as many goals as shanny in the playoffs, remember that.

some of us toon in and watch the 82 games before the playoffs...

Old
05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
some of us toon in and watch the 82 games before the playoffs...
i did too....and he had off nights just like nayone else....but with the way he played, he just seemd to be a bit off until the end of the season....with about 20 games left he wad the best player on the ice on most nights

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:34 PM
xander

lets also remember that we're talking about a fourth line roll here...on his worst night shannahan was still a far superior player to both Ryan Hollweg and Colton Orr.

Old
05-06-2008, 11:36 PM
vcx*

It'll be funny if Jagr doesn't come back, Shanny plays a final season in Detroit and Avery walks for the highest amount.

Just saying...never put much worth into what a player says about the team he is on while he is still under contract and out of the playoffs....July 1st is still a while away.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
tdawg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i did too....and he had off nights just like nayone else....but with the way he played, he just seemd to be a bit off until the end of the season....with about 20 games left he wad the best player on the ice on most nights
Are you talking about shanny?

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I love Jagr, just love him.. i think he IS a leader and a great captain..but IF we can replace his numbers, I think it is time we go in a new direction, and that is not a knock on him.

However, if we cannot replace his production. (which we wont be able to) he MUST be resigned. He is amazing, and I again LOL at all of you that wanted to trade him last season.

also, i honestly believe the PP could work if the talent is used properly..

that means drury at the point on one PP and jagr at the point on the other.

not sure why this was tried seemingly only once this season (and jagr scored 2 goals on said PPs) but for some reason renney doesn't want it... PP MUST be fixed in someway.. and since he thinks my idea won't work, that means getting a PP QB elsewhere.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Jagr may have lost a step, but he was still your leading scorer and probably best forward. Jagr losing a step is still a top 10 rw in the game.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
The Thomas J.*

The thing is this, if Jagr comes back Straka assumes he is coming back too, I love Straka but i'm thinking it may come down to signing Straka or Shanny i'm very torn who to bring back, I can make valid cases for both pro's & cons of there return.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
The thing is this, if Jagr comes back Straka assumes he is coming back too, I love Straka but i'm thinking it may come down to signing Straka or Shanny i'm very torn who to bring back, I can make valid cases for both pro's & cons of there return.
Straka is a hard worker and all that and I like him also.. but the numbers just weren't there last season. He isn't a first liner.

Old
05-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You forgot the fact that the team had such a tough time because the team was Jagr-centric.
That cant really be helped. He is almost always the best player on the ice.

Getting Jagr going is a priority. If he wasn't here and Joe T was in his place it would be the same scenario.

You play to your strengths.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
beastly115

If we re-sign Jagr then sign Rolston for the 2nd line with Gomez, we're pretty much covered. We'd have two solid scoring lines and Rolston to help run the PP.

That being said, does anyone think Straka will return if Jags does?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
It'll be funny if Jagr doesn't come back, Shanny plays a final season in Detroit and Avery walks for the highest amount.
Don't you have some Philly fans to troll upon

Old
05-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
That cant really be helped. He is almost always the best player on the ice.

Getting Jagr going is a priority. If he wasn't here and Joe T was in his place it would be the same scenario.

You play to your strengths.
Thats the thing. Jagr is IMO was used wrongly on the PP this season. It just doesn't work with him on the halfboards..

He had 0 PPGs in 30 games or something.. that is just absurd.

I guess we'll never know what that shoulder injury did to his slapshot, maybe thats why he wasn't used on the point.. but man i would love to see it again

Old
05-06-2008, 11:59 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Wasn't it Newsday that had Avery on the brink of death?

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:00 AM
nyrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I heard the XM Radio hockey guys today discussing the future of the Rangers. Both guys considered the season to be a failure.

One point of view was that we need to get younger and faster (granted we have several home grown players, but they referring to Shanahan, Straka, Jagr) like the Red Wings did. He advocated taking a step backwards and moving forward with our youth even if we don't make the playoffs next season.

The other guy argued that there was no one other than Hossa was available in free agency to replace the production and that you don't want another long-term $7 mm contract on the team. He said to expect us to re-sign most of the free agents and to expect more of the same from the Rangers without much improvement next season.

We're at a crossroad and Sather has a big decision to make.

I see the latter happening. MSG needs the Rangers to make the playoffs. If Jagr does come back, they will probably re-sign Straka and probably Avery. I doubt Shanny will be re-signed.

One thing I didn't agree with was calling the re-signing of Rozsival a must move. They called him a top 2 defenseman and almost in the elite level . puke.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Really he loves that spot just above the circle. The reason the PP didnt work isnt all JJ but the answer does trail itself back there imo.

The answer is confidence. Clear crisp deadly confidence. No one had it. Every goaltender was Dryden, so many posts, missed open net. When you're not confident you try to hard.

Of course having the right chemistry can create the success that builds that confidence.

What do the leagues BEST PP units have the Rangers do not? What does the #1 PP do the Rangers PP does not do?

Old
05-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Really he loves that spot just above the circle. The reason the PP didnt work isnt all JJ but the answer does trail itself back there imo.

The answer is confidence. Clear crisp deadly confidence. No one had it. Every goaltender was Dryden, so many posts, missed open net. When you're not confident you try to hard.

Of course having the right chemistry can create the success that builds that confidence.

What do the leagues BEST PP units have the Rangers do not? What does the #1 PP do the Rangers PP does not do?
The biggest problem last season in my mind was no good shots from the point.. the defenseman we put back there either don't have good enough shots, or can't hit the net

Which is why fowards (not named Straka) should have been tried more but they werent.