HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Wants to Play For the Rangers - per Newsday

Old
05-07-2008, 12:05 AM
NYRSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Jaromir Jagr, at 6 million a year, TAKE him. First off, he's STILL the most talented player in the league. He might haf taken a season off, but still taking a year off he netted 25 with 71 pts, to LEAD this team. Not to mention he was the best player in the playoffs. Anyone who write JJ off is biased or has little hockey sense. The guy is a phenom, STILL. To let him go would be a big mistake. That said, he still deserves top line minutes. Give me a resaon why he doesn't. He lead the team in pts, lead the team in goals, and lead the LEAGUE in playoff pts. Even if he only showed up in the playoffs, that's what means the most. I'd rather a playoff performer over a regula season playoff choker ANY day. Especially on this team that can make the playoffs off skill alone, regulary.

That said, put Drury where he needs to be. If AA moves up and blows up like Dubi did, put CD on the wing. But don't give AA the center for the sake of putting CD on the wing. If he fits, squeeze him in, if not, keep Drury on the wing and fit people around him.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
yea we have a great core, but who would you rather lead the kids Jaromir or Marian who by the way was pretty much a bad leader when he played for the Senators
if you are picking between hossa and jagr, i dont know how you dont pick hossa. hossa was just a kid when he was on the senators. he is much younger, imo better and they probably would come at the same price. drury, shanahan may not be as jagr but are probably better leaders in the locker room

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Mmmm I do agree. They really just dont have a big shot from the point. Not sure why its not Mara. He did it in Phx...

Whats the deal with Hutchinson? He's like the Paul Coffey of the AHL now? How'd that happen? And how can the Rangers get that to translate into the NHL?

05-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
if you are picking between hossa and jagr, i dont know how you dont pick hossa. hossa was just a kid when he was on the senators. he is much younger, imo better and they probably would come at the same price. drury, shanahan may not be as jagr but are probably better leaders in the locker room
I'd rather Jagr for 2 years than Hossa for 7..

no doubt in my mind.

This is why we CANNOT replace Jagr, and he has to be brought back..

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Mmmm I do agree. They really just dont have a big shot from the point. Not sure why its not Mara. He did it in Phx...

Whats the deal with Hutchinson? He's like the Paul Coffey of the AHL now? How'd that happen? And how can the Rangers get that to translate into the NHL?
Mara has a ... powerful shot. But he is like Fulton Reed from the mighty ducks.. about a 1 % shooting percentage.

No idea about Hutchison.. probably real weak on even strength.

If we let Straka go that obviously leaves open a spot on the wing.. perhaps bring in Rolston for that + point on the PP, but Jagr probably wants Straka here.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I'd rather Jagr for 2 years than Hossa for 7..

no doubt in my mind.

This is why we CANNOT replace Jagr, and he has to be brought back..
really? why? hossa is a fantasic offensive player and he proved this postseason taht he can do it in the playoffs too.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Quote:
really? why? hossa is a fantasic offensive player and he proved this postseason taht he can do it in the playoffs too.
Mainly because I think there will be players better than Hossa available in the future and I want the space to sign them.

(Kovalchuk)

Old
05-07-2008, 12:14 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrage View Post
I heard the XM Radio hockey guys today discussing the future of the Rangers. Both guys considered the season to be a failure.

One point of view was that we need to get younger and faster (granted we have several home grown players, but they referring to Shanahan, Straka, Jagr) like the Red Wings did. He advocated taking a step backwards and moving forward with our youth even if we don't make the playoffs next season.

The other guy argued that there was no one other than Hossa was available in free agency to replace the production and that you don't want another long-term $7 mm contract on the team. He said to expect us to re-sign most of the free agents and to expect more of the same from the Rangers without much improvement next season.

We're at a crossroad and Sather has a big decision to make.

I see the latter happening. MSG needs the Rangers to make the playoffs. If Jagr does come back, they will probably re-sign Straka and probably Avery. I doubt Shanny will be re-signed.

One thing I didn't agree with was calling the re-signing of Rozsival a must move. They called him a top 2 defenseman and almost in the elite level . puke.

I have to agree, the playoffs are not a given next season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:15 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Mainly because I think there will be players better than Hossa available in the future and I want the space to sign them.

(Kovalchuk)
I concur..........If Sather could pull that rade off now oh man I would bow to him!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
The biggest problem last season in my mind was no good shots from the point.. the defenseman we put back there either don't have good enough shots, or can't hit the net

Which is why fowards (not named Straka) should have been tried more but they werent.
I didn't watch the Rangers a whole lot last season, but I did watch them and I saw a lot of them in them in th eplayoffs and it seemed to me that Jagr was on th epoint on the pp somewhat often

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
Are you talking about shanny?
HAHA...nope..just caught that....good call i dont want shanny back either

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
4 mil
1 year

Otherwise let em walk.
the habs will offer him more. We are looking for a top forward and are going to be pre tty agressive. There are not a lot of those so you better re-sign him. Or the habs will

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I didn't watch the Rangers a whole lot last season, but I did watch them and I saw a lot of them in them in th eplayoffs and it seemed to me that Jagr was on th epoint on the pp somewhat often
Only for 5 on 3s.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Even at his age, Jagr is better than Hossa.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
He was during the 5 on 3, where the Rangers have the brilliant strategy to just have Jagr and Shanny pass the puck back and forth at the point

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
He was during the 5 on 3, where the Rangers have the brilliant strategy to just have Jagr and Shanny pass the puck back and forth at the point
lol. Yep.. and the wrong person ends up shooting (Shanny)

Old
05-07-2008, 12:22 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
yea we have a great core, but who would you rather lead the kids Jaromir or Marian who by the way was pretty much a bad leader when he played for the Senators
Wait, Daniel Alfredsson hasn't been their captain since 2000?

That's news to me.

Quote:
You forgot the fact that the team had such a tough time because the team was Jagr-centric. Maybe he creates more dysfunction than he solves with the way the team is built right now. Maybe that's the biggest problem on the powerplay.
I tend to agree with that.

The way Jagr wanted the power play to work is as big of a reason for the power play's futility as is the lack of a shot from the point.

The way this team was built from the lockout was Jagr-centric. He wanted his friends, people who played to his suiting. Nylander, Straka, Rozsival, Malik. As much as I like to believe that Jagr's lack of production is a bi-product of getting older, I think it's also a bi-product of him not being happy about losing his friends, especially Nylander. A guy of Jagr's talent could learn to mesh with any center. I also think Jagr is far too overweight. He should be about 225, not 250. I think cutting that weight and adding some muscle would help him get some speed back, which would help his game immensely.

Quote:
First of all, the bolded part is not really a good thing, although you're making it out to be. You have to get to the playoffs to turn it on in them. A 37-year old Jagr-driven team is going to be worse off than a 36-year old Jagr-driven team.
What's the point of having someone like that?

Have him dog the regular season and make it as a 7th seed and get this mentality stuck in the team's head that it's a mediocre team that can't take the bigger teams? Jagr needs to get his speed back, and could definitely do it if he lost weight and added muscle.

Quote:
Second of all, those numbers he put up this season aren't $6m numbers. Not for this team at this time. I don't expect him to be the same as he was. But since I don't expect him to be the same as he was, I sure as hell don't want to pay MORE for him than we were.
Exactly, why should we pay this guy more than what he's making when it's known that he's on the decline? I'd rather pay Hossa that money.

Quote:
i would rather have a 37 year old Jagr who has a lot of passion than half of the players out there
Really, where was all of that passion during the regular season?

Quote:
I love Jagr, just love him.. i think he IS a leader and a great captain..but IF we can replace his numbers, I think it is time we go in a new direction, and that is not a knock on him.
I think a leader is someone who plays at both ends of the ice, but that's just me.

Quote:
However, if we cannot replace his production. (which we wont be able to) he MUST be resigned. He is amazing, and I again LOL at all of you that wanted to trade him last season.
Marian Hossa.

People who are banking on guys like Thornton and Lecavalier to make it to UFA status are insane. Thornton will be back in San Jose, and Tampa Bay is not going to let Lecavalier go.

Quote:
also, i honestly believe the PP could work if the talent is used properly..
I think Jagr is part of that problem. Renney might be an idiot when it comes to working a power play, but I think Jagr is a hinderance to him because of the way he wants things ran.

Quote:
Straka is a hard worker and all that and I like him also.. but the numbers just weren't there last season. He isn't a first liner.
I agree, he needs to go.

As much of a likable guy and an influence as he is, he's just not there anymore.

I could take the dropoff in points if he was a 30 goal guy.

Going from 25-50-75 to like 30-30-60 wouldn't be bad, but Straka isn't the type of player to score goals, and if he's not going to put up points the way he was doing, he's pretty much done. He's not smart enough defensively to be effective in that role. I love the effort he put in on the pk, and he really refined his defensive game from where it was years ago, but he's just not physical, and he's not smart enough defensively to be a contributor otherwise now.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:24 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
QFT

JAgr should be a number one priority for this team. Anyone put before him better win the Art Ross, because that's the only way he'll prove more valuable than JJ.

It's pretty sad that Jags had a sub par year to his standards, yet lead the team in goals and pts, yet people don't want him back.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
maybe, but in 5 years who did you think will be better?

Old
05-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Quote:
Hopefully Jagr for 2 years then someone else for those other 5.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:29 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
That's a pretty bad comparison. We're talking next year. in 10 years I'm sure there will be a UFA that would be an upgrade over Hossa.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
That's a pretty bad comparison. We're talking next year. in 10 years I'm sure there will be a UFA that would be an upgrade over Hossa.
that could be applied with the gomez, drury signings too. dont you think in a few years there are going to be better players then them? yea, but you addressed a need which, if jagr leaves, you would be doing with hossa. its not like hossa is a mediocre player. he is a top tier offensive player

Old
05-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
that's great, except you don't add free agents looking 5 years down the road.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:42 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
4 mil
1 year

Otherwise let em walk.
thank God your not the GM.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
No question about it. I love what Hossa has done for the Pens, but he's not Jagr. Imagine what Jagr could do with all those chances Hossa gets on our PP or with Crosby. Conversely, Hossa is proving right now that he's not a franchise winger, but rather the ideal complement on the wing.

I don't know if Hossa would be a better fit for the Rangers, but he's probably a better fit for Renney.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote