HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

A bigger Ranger Rival: The Islanders or the Devils

View Poll Results: A bigger Ranger Rival: The Islanders or the Devils
The Islanders 111 62.36%
The Devils 52 29.21%
Equal 15 8.43%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Isles is the bigger.
but Devils is my favorite.

because i'm truly disgusted by everything long island, nassau coliseum, and orange-blue

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 03:51 AM
mikesect424

vCash: 500
The replies to this thread put the Islanders ahead by a mile.

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 09:19 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I hate the Isles more. I think the whole Chris Simon stuff pumped it up a few notches for me. Plus there's just more history there and the whole New York/New York rivalry. I can't stand the Devils (although I love the arena, I've been there twice) but I have more respect for them and I could actually tolerate it when they won the Cup. If the Isles won another one, it would absolutely make me sick. We're talking Red Sox winning the world series twice in four years sick.

Although I enjoy our games against the Isles more than against the Devils. There's just alot of passion and more often than not, the games against the Devils are a trap-fest (and yes, some of that even comes from our team in recent games).

The Flyers are in the argument with me as well. I absolutely despise them. And much like the Islanders, our games are always alot of fun. However, I love the city of Philadelphia and I like the Phillies when I am watching the National League. I do loathe the Eagles though.

Rounding out the division, I don't like the Pens either but the hatred level isn't even close to our big 3 closest rivals.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 09:35 AM
ruckus*

As someone pointed out I think location determines a lot. Growing up in north Jersey brought made hatred for the Devils through the roof. Devils fans are the absolute worst. I hate the Islanders just as much though. I kind of feel bad for Isles fans because of who they have to root for. As for the Flyers, don't even get me started. Hate them just as much. I despise absolutely every team in our division other than the Penguins. And even the Pens I pretty much hate to death. I mean, Crosby, Staal, Malkin...can you say queers? Our entire division makes my blood boil.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Larry Melnyk

Persoanlly, as an over 30 year Ranger fan, I really don't give the Devils or the Islanders much thought at all..Although the recent Nolan-Simon mentality has added a little to the pot..To me, it's always been the Flyers and their physical play and to this day, I still look more forward to games againmst the FLyers compareed to tilts with the Devils and Isles..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:46 AM
BrianNYR

The Islanders rivalry is definatly hotter. I love on LI and all of my friends are Islander fans. But from the games I've watched over the years, (I'm only 20) I think that the Rangers and Devils have better games to watch. I would much rather be at the Garden watching the Devils, rather than the Isles.
*edit: Gotta love the Philly games though.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:49 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNYR View Post
The Islanders rivalry is definatly hotter. I love on LI and all of my friends are Islander fans. But from the games I've watched over the years, (I'm only 20) I think that the Rangers and Devils have better games to watch. I would much rather be at the Garden watching the Devils, rather than the Isles.
*edit: Gotta love the Philly games though.
Seriously, I miss Washington in the division. They and the Rangers had some battles in the early 90's, and so did the Penguins and Caps. It was like the Pens would come back from 3-1 down every year on them. They have no rivalry now with any of the southeast teams.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

All three fan bases have annoying fans with no class that will simply change attitudes no matter what the results are.

The only difference is,

Islanders and Devil fans are less classy.

But I don't understand how any one Ranger fan can say that they hate the Devils more than the Islanders, hell, I hate the Devils' announcers more than I hate the Devils.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I choose the Isles and if you go to MSG for a Rangers/Isles or Rangers/Devils you'll notice the crowd much more into it when the Rangers play the Isles.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:25 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I hate the Isles more. I think the whole Chris Simon stuff pumped it up a few notches for me. Plus there's just more history there and the whole New York/New York rivalry. I can't stand the Devils (although I love the arena, I've been there twice) but I have more respect for them and I could actually tolerate it when they won the Cup. If the Isles won another one, it would absolutely make me sick. We're talking Red Sox winning the world series twice in four years sick.
What he said.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan View Post
Simple question for all you Rangers fans. At this moment, who do you consider a bigger rival to the Rangers -- The Devils or the Islanders?

Could non-Rangers fans refrain from voting? Thanks guys.

Islanders, by far. Who cares about the MM club.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:10 PM
mucker*

There is no question, the Islanders.

The Devils don't really have a fanbase...witness they can't sell out even when they are winning cups.

When the Isles won cups they were a big deal...the Devils never were nor will be.

Here's a better question....whose a bigger rival?

Flyers or Devils.

I say Flyers because Philly fans are much more numerous and obnoxious....Devil fans are more or less a small sect of metro NY fans.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:15 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I choose the Isles and if you go to MSG for a Rangers/Isles or Rangers/Devils you'll notice the crowd much more into it when the Rangers play the Isles.
Not always true, I was at 2 Ranger Devil games this year and the crowd was pretty intense chanting "Marty! Marty!"

05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Top for BillyH20

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
ogie

i think that considering the phrase "at this moment" i would say the devils.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Fletch

It's the team...

directly in competition with the Rangers - could be the Isles, Devils or Flyers. If you want 'at this moment' it's whichever of the Isles and Devils have the lowest handicap.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
my order

1- islanders - just an all around hate, everyone and everything

2- devils- i hate there fans more and but the only part of the team i really hate is brodeur.

Last edited by z1co80: 05-07-2008 at 03:34 AM.
z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
PromNite
Dragon Ninja

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Look how many Devils fans came and voted for the Devils... I think we can discount their votes.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Look how many Devils fans came and voted for the Devils... I think we can discount their votes.
yea i noticed that too. and islander fans

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Scotty Hockey

Screw the Isles. I grew up on long island after the Cups as a Ranger fan so my loathing for that franchise and their fans knows no bounds. The Devils ... meh, who cares? Outside of Mmmmaaaaarrrrrttttyyyy, there are no real villians, and - let's face it - this is the same team who paraded their championship around a parking lot. Who can take them seriously??

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:47 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Most hated team- Flyers
Biggest Rival- Devils
Most fun to follow in the off season - Islanders

Def. give the isles best fans though of the three...
Dont get my wrong all 3 have great fans, but the flyers fans can be a bit....savage
Devils fans have some sort of inferiority complex, that even after multiple cup wins they like to pretend their an underdog..
Isles fans deserve an award for the crap they have to put up with with management, and that grotesque building they play in...god i hope they get the lighthouse deal going, the fans deserve it

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:31 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

This shouldn't even be a question. It's easily the Fishsticks, followed by the Flyers, then the Debbies. The Devils are our biggest rivals only in their own minds.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:24 AM
otterulz

My first ever game was Rangers-Isles at the Coliseum so I personally hate the Isles more. Standings aside, even when both teams are terrible, as they have been not that long ago, these were the games that got me going in an otherwise dreary season.

Remember when Mike Dunham played like a Vezina finalist that one season and swept the series 6-0 from the Isles? Those 6 wins accounted for a quarter of our wins that year! What more do you need?!?!?!

otterulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
It depends how you look at it really, all time you cannot deny it is the Islanders. Just look at the history it makes it very clear. But as of late it has to be the Devils. The Broduer/Avery conflict really heated that up and the fact they fought for the division last year. As of late the Rangers and Devils have been bigger rivals because well, simply the Islanders are seeing the darkness of the cellar of the division. And the Rangers and Devs were separated by 2 points this year and met in the 1st round this year. They have both been fighting to be better because both have solid hockey clubs. But no matter how bad one does, the Islanders/Rangers rivalry will always be the same. The worse of the bunch will look to crush the hopes of playoffs for the better team, while the other just looks to crush them.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
jhnyr

Speaking of rivalries... I got this email from one of my so-called friends. He's a debbies fan, and had been taunting me non-stop after the Rangers were eliminated. I know, big surprise coming from a debbies fan.

In any case, I told him all his ****talking is moot, since the debbies got knocked out in the first round. And his emails only matter if he had been in the second round -- ergo, he must be a Pens fan now, and congrats on picking a good team finally.

Here's his response. Of course, it's rife with living-in-the-past--ness. Help me amass such a good response, the little asshat thinks twice before hitting reply. I want to bury the ****er.

Quote:
You cannot be serious. If you think there is any real difference between a first round and a second round exit you really have started to settle for mediocrity. But I guess if my team had only won one cup and mortgaged the future on it and then were barely a blip on the screen for the next ten years a second round exit would be a big accomplishment. A **** team well last time I checked my **** team makes the playoffs 90% of the time and yours about 20%. Also we win conference titles you squeak into the playoffs . I dont care about the fan base that is such a week argument but when your not winning you have to grasp for something to hold onto. Really do you think the players care if your there? They dont care they just want there money. So you had more people there to see you end another season without a cup good for you.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote