HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Wants to Play For the Rangers - per Newsday

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2008, 12:45 AM
  #76
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
that could be applied with the gomez, drury signings too. dont you think in a few years there are going to be better players then them? yea, but you addressed a need which, if jagr leaves, you would be doing with hossa. its not like hossa is a mediocre player. he is a top tier offensive player
What you're missing is that there was no viable in-house option for us at the center position. We had previously been really weak down the middle so Sather went out and fixed it with the best available options. In this situation we already have Jagr. He knows our team, our system, and he knows New York. There's no reason to throw out a huge longterm deal to Hossa who arguably isn't even an upgrade. Don't get me wrong Hossa's an All Star and will probably continue to be one for some time, but he's never going to the Hart, the Art Ross, or the Rocket Richard trophy.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:47 AM
  #77
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
that could be applied with the gomez, drury signings too. dont you think in a few years there are going to be better players then them? yea, but you addressed a need which, if jagr leaves, you would be doing with hossa. its not like hossa is a mediocre player. he is a top tier offensive player
I agree, if Jagr decides to bolt, there's not many players (pretty much ZERO) I'd pick over Hossa (That said, if Heater was a UFA I'd be drooling over that opportunity, but it's not the case. Homerism working at its best here). Short term however, Jags>Hossa.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:58 AM
  #78
Madik77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You forgot the fact that the team had such a tough time because the team was Jagr-centric. Maybe he creates more dysfunction than he solves with the way the team is built right now. Maybe that's the biggest problem on the powerplay.



First of all, the bolded part is not really a good thing, although you're making it out to be. You have to get to the playoffs to turn it on in them. A 37-year old Jagr-driven team is going to be worse off than a 36-year old Jagr-driven team.

Second of all, those numbers he put up this season aren't $6m numbers. Not for this team at this time. I don't expect him to be the same as he was. But since I don't expect him to be the same as he was, I sure as hell don't want to pay MORE for him than we were.
Please, can you show me just ONE single player who will be available this summer and put better numbers than Jagr for $6m?? And you can choose if the numbers are for regular season, playoff or reg. season + playoff. Please just one.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:07 AM
  #79
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
What you're missing is that there was no viable in-house option for us at the center position. We had previously been really weak down the middle so Sather went out and fixed it with the best available options. In this situation we already have Jagr. He knows our team, our system, and he knows New York. There's no reason to throw out a huge longterm deal to Hossa who arguably isn't even an upgrade. Don't get me wrong Hossa's an All Star and will probably continue to be one for some time, but he's never going to the Hart, the Art Ross, or the Rocket Richard trophy.
well i think those times are behing jagr. dont get me wrong, jagr is an inredible player, i think his passing is underrated, some of those passes he made vs us were incredible, but what im saying is jagr maybe better then hossa for the next 2 or 3 years he plays but you guys have a realitivley young team and hossa would be a great assest to the future of the rangers.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:14 AM
  #80
NAI77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Jagr needs to move on to Siberia and get paid tax-free by the Russian mobsters. Hopefully he can take Malik and Backman with him to the tundra.

NAI77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:24 AM
  #81
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
well i think those times are behing jagr. dont get me wrong, jagr is an inredible player, i think his passing is underrated, some of those passes he made vs us were incredible, but what im saying is jagr maybe better then hossa for the next 2 or 3 years he plays but you guys have a realitivley young team and hossa would be a great assest to the future of the rangers.
Hosa cannot, and never has been the type of player who can dominate for long stretches. A good first line player, but if you are counting on Hossa to be your best player you will never win anything.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:08 AM
  #82
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
well i think those times are behing jagr. dont get me wrong, jagr is an inredible player, i think his passing is underrated, some of those passes he made vs us were incredible, but what im saying is jagr maybe better then hossa for the next 2 or 3 years he plays but you guys have a realitivley young team and hossa would be a great assest to the future of the rangers.
I'm talking about the next two years. That's it. After that we (as in the Rangers) will have to reassess and see what our options are and how our kids have developed. The hope is that at that point either Cherepanov will be a star or there will be an absolute superstar available on the free agent market or through trade (i.e. Lecavalier). Who knows, maybe Cherepanov will be a star AND we'll get a more seasoned star to put next to him.


Last edited by Zil: 05-07-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:08 AM
  #83
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
First of all, you're talking about a 2mil cap hit.

Second of all, Jagr not only changes the way other teams play, but he changes the way the Rangers play, and usually not for the better (see: anemic powerplay).

I'm not willing to restrict the team for him anymore. It's not to say I don't love the guy, but it's time to move on.
WoW, I didn't know u were Mr, Sather.
I would ♥ 2 see him return...And Shanny.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:27 AM
  #84
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,622
vCash: 500
Jagr... 2 years - 11 mill.. no more.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:28 AM
  #85
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Makes me wonder why Jagr has made so many comitments, he want's to play here two more years, he promised Omsk he would play for them, his Dad is building and opening a new arena.
Why did Jagr promise this russian guy he would play for Omsk in the 1st place??? I really think this goes way deeper than most of us reliaze, I would am fairly certain Jagr's love for omsk isn't love but more along the lines of him being strong armed for some of his past gambling debts, which were way out of control 5 or 6 years ago.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:07 AM
  #86
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Don't you have some Philly fans to troll upon

I didn't know you were soo damn sensitive, relax dude. It's not trolling, you might want to stop using that just for the hell of it and use it within context next time.

Ok then.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:26 AM
  #87
nyrage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Makes me wonder why Jagr has made so many comitments, he want's to play here two more years, he promised Omsk he would play for them, his Dad is building and opening a new arena.
Why did Jagr promise this russian guy he would play for Omsk in the 1st place??? I really think this goes way deeper than most of us reliaze, I would am fairly certain Jagr's love for omsk isn't love but more along the lines of him being strong armed for some of his past gambling debts, which were way out of control 5 or 6 years ago.
His dad's arena won't be ready for a couple of years. I guess it's a matter of if and when he would like to return to Omsk.



Another, more powerful European draw: Jagr revealed yesterday that his father, who also is named Jaromir, has requested that he return home to play in his native Kladno, Czech Republic, for the 2010-11 season. That is when Jagr's father plans to open a new arena in Kladno.

"I don't think I would sign longer than two years - just because of my dad," Jagr said. "He asked me to come home. He did. In two years. He wants me to come back. He's helping to build a new arena there and he wants me to be there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho..._broadway.html

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:42 AM
  #88
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I'll take Shanny as a 4th liner who plays 5-10 minutes a game.
Then he better accept to be paid accordingly.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:47 AM
  #89
hgo
Registered User
 
hgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
The reality is, now that you have to pay Jagr 100% of whatever he makes...you're gonna have to let one of Avery, Shanahan, or Jagr go if you want to stay under the cap.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:54 AM
  #90
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
Keep Jagr around, if only for the playoffs! Guy was on a mission in that second round.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:59 AM
  #91
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
It has always been inferred that getting Jagr to change his game has been difficult. Now that there has to be a negotiating period, changing his game can be part of it.

Everyone marvels how it's so tough to get Jagr off the puck, particularly behind the net and in the corners. I have been wondering if parking in front of the net may reinvent his game.

I am all in for whatever they want to give Jagr in terms of dollars. I am not exactly sure if the Rangers can motivate him with money since it seems he could make more elsewhere.

__________________
Fantasy sports betting at FakePuppy - Pick moneylines, over/unders and spreads. Totally free.
abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:15 AM
  #92
Madik77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
It has always been inferred that getting Jagr to change his game has been difficult. Now that there has to be a negotiating period, changing his game can be part of it.

Everyone marvels how it's so tough to get Jagr off the puck, particularly behind the net and in the corners. I have been wondering if parking in front of the net may reinvent his game.

I am all in for whatever they want to give Jagr in terms of dollars. I am not exactly sure if the Rangers can motivate him with money since it seems he could make more elsewhere.
Thats the point in my opinion. If JJ stays with NYR I think it won´t be because of $$$. I also think that JJ now is not playing hockey because of his personal numbers..., so the last motivating factor is to win another SC. the problem is that I don´t see Rangers winning the cup next season. Maybe the next one I hope.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:16 AM
  #93
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I didn't know you were soo damn sensitive, relax dude. It's not trolling, you might want to stop using that just for the hell of it and use it within context next time.
I'm sorry I must of mis interpeted your intent when you came in here and posted...

Quote:
vcx: "It'll be funny if Jagr doesn't come back, Shanny plays a final season in Detroit and Avery walks for the highest amount."

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
  #94
mstraka82
 
mstraka82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
WoW, I didn't know u were Mr, Sather.
I would ♥ 2 see him return...And Shanny.
he is taking over when Slats leaves

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
  #95
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
The reality is, now that you have to pay Jagr 100% of whatever he makes...you're gonna have to let one of Avery, Shanahan, or Jagr go if you want to stay under the cap.
Shanny. Lol. By far the easiest choice.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:11 AM
  #96
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Makes me wonder why Jagr has made so many comitments, he want's to play here two more years, he promised Omsk he would play for them, his Dad is building and opening a new arena.
Why did Jagr promise this russian guy he would play for Omsk in the 1st place??? I really think this goes way deeper than most of us reliaze, I would am fairly certain Jagr's love for omsk isn't love but more along the lines of him being strong armed for some of his past gambling debts, which were way out of control 5 or 6 years ago.
He never promised that he'd play for Omsk. He said he enjoyed his time there and would like to play for them again.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
  #97
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,946
vCash: 500
Bring him back for two more years. Go Get Em Slats!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:09 AM
  #98
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,983
vCash: 500
This is fantastic news that Jagr wants back. And he is definitely the best forward on the team so this actually makes next year a possibility.

I would also keep Straka because he is just about the only play making winger. He doesn't even have to play with jagr either. Put him with Drury on the third line along with Callahan like it was for a piece of the year. Those three were very successful. Straka can adapt wiht anyone.

GET RID OF SHANNY. No point in bringing him back for 4th line because the guy simply can't do anything outside of shooting. Plus, he is at the point where he's going to get paid more than any other 4th liner who would do the same as him.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:19 AM
  #99
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Sign Jagr back please....

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
  #100
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
really? why? hossa is a fantasic offensive player and he proved this postseason taht he can do it in the playoffs too.
Because this team just committed large money for 5+ years to three players (Drury, Gomez, Lundqvist.) In the short term, the Rangers can afford to pay Jagr 5-6 mil, but if you keep giving out these big longterm contracts, you're going to get squeezed when the Staals and Dubinskys of the world hit restricted free agency.


If you give Hossa 7.5 millions for 7 years, then 3 years from now you will have around 28 million tied up in 4 players. It's not smart cap management.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.