HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Melrose coming back to coach...

Old
05-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
OT: Melrose coming back to coach...

Ive heard it a few times now, and now Eklund is reporting its almost a guarentee.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be great to have him coach the Rangers instead of Renney?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
JiBBa

vCash: 500
The only coach I would like to have is .......... john tortorella from the lightning. He could fire up this team and make these players produce more for the money they get. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI

JiBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
Ive heard it a few times now, and now Eklund is reporting its almost a guarentee.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be great to have him coach the Rangers instead of Renney?
This would be a terrible idea

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:19 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

After seeing multiple posts from this person, I'm convinced he is related to jOrts.

I wouldn't want Melrose coaching the Rangers. No thank you. Renney is far from the best coach in the NHL but considering what other teams are stuck with I'll take it. Melrose is just.... wow.....

Bring Back Ron Low.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:19 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
The only coach I would like to have is .......... john tortorella from the lightning. He could fire up this team and make these players produce more for the money they get. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI
yea i totally agree. at least he is not too friendly like renney is at times. was it Smith or Sather that let him walk when we had him as an assistant coach??

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, I'd much rather have the guy who has not coached in 13 years (and only coached 2.5 seasons) over the guy who brought the team to three straight playoff appearances.

TheHotRock

dude? melrose? he's a ****** analyst, he'd be an even ****tier coach

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FrolundasFinest

He always had nice things to say about Toronto and with Maurice apparently gone...

just my two cents.

FrolundasFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mason530

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
It is Tortorella or Renney. Melrose can go to Toronto. It just fired Maurice.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolundasFinest View Post
He always had nice things to say about Toronto and with Maurice apparently gone...

just my two cents.
That is what I was thinking too. Could you imagine how much fun the press would have with this one?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:27 AM
shmekel

Quote:

By the look of things, yes, you are the only one...

shmekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What I don't get is what are Melrose's credentials really? He made a Cup final with the best player in league having a ridiculously good playoffs. Aside from that, he's a guy with a coaching record that is 21 games under .500.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:33 AM
FrolundasFinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What I don't get is what are Melrose's credentials really? He made a Cup final with the best player in league having a ridiculously good playoffs. Aside from that, he's a guy with a coaching record that is 21 games under .500.
He seems really smart on TV and I think that is what Toronto is thinking. They want to go with a big name, reputation be dammed.

I think that this is going to be an epic mistake. In a few years, 3 years is not going to seem to be that much time without the playoffs for Toronto fans.

I know this is completely off topic in an already off topic thread, but if he goes, who is going to talk hockey on ESPN? Burnside is a moron, Hradek is on the NHL network it seems, Buccigross hosts Sportscenter...leaving us with...no one.

Here is a preposterous idea for you all to think about, is this why Don Cherry is on ESPN now? Trust me, I think that this is completely stupid and not at all the reason, but I am just going to put it out there, don't be too hard on me, because I barely agree with it myself.

FrolundasFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
No to Melrose, yes to Tortorella.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
TheHotRock

he seems smart on tv? he's like every other talkign head moron on espn. their hockey deprtment is a joke. that writer, burnside, doesn't know a wrist shot form a wrist watch.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'll stick with Renney.

The only 'available' coach I'd swap him for is Scotty Bowman.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
eco's bones

I think it depends on what kind of team you're going to have. I think Renney is a good choice for what we have--able to bridge the gap between aging superstars--Jagr, Shanahan and young kids. The makeup of our team does not call for a hard disciplinarian. Now it may be that if many of our vets are gone next year a harder edged coached would do better but if we're continuing on relatively the same path Renney is just fine. There are not many coaches that could have taken our team farther than he has. As well there are benefits--the team has learned to play a defensive minded game, the players in Hartford play the same kind of systems, youth is brought in and given a shot, more often than not put in realistic situations relative to their talent and development. There is also the benefit of stability--growing something from the ground up. Renney has been a key architect in all that--starting with being head of player development. Tortorella is an excellent coach who took his team to a Stanley Cup--even with that I'd have a concern as he's also been around to watch his team fall apart.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
mstraka82

Barry Melrose is the bandwagon guy who no one listens to on ESPN

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Pizza

Quote:

.....?????

"stares at screen in disbelief, shakes head and considers other ways to spend down time this sumer."

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'd keep Renney over Melrose any day, and I'm not a Renney fan.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dkatzism

vCash:
Horrible news for hairdressers and tailors everywhere.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Horrible news for hairdressers and tailors everywhere.
How so? Standing on the bench in front of 18,000 fans, that's more than the amount of hockey fans that watch ESPN. That means increased publicity for Melrose, and more work for the hairdressers and tailors.

See, Melrose is trying to boost the US Economy.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
zestystrat

Quote:

Yes.

I'd love to see him with the leafs. The press would eat him and his 80's hairdo alive.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
dude? melrose? he's a ****** analyst, he'd be an even ****tier coach
What has Renney done though. Jagr carried us to the first two playoff berths. Not Renney.

Actually more so, it was Glens dealings that brought Nylander and Straka with the great drafting that got us those first two playoff berths.

This year the Rangers caught fire and explain to me how it had to do with Tom Renney or his coaching staff.

Torts would also be a great coach, I want some one who will show some ****ing emotion when its needed. Some one who has no problem say what hes gotta say. Renney does and I cannot stand it.

Tom Renney is an amateur hour coach with bush league tactics and a coaching staff behind him that is not fit to run an AHL team let alone an NHL one.

The only reason we even one 1 game in the Pittsburgh series was because Jagr had a fire lit under his ass like Ive never seen before.

Why was Strudwick in over Malik when Backman clearly needed to be benched, and finally was. Im a huge Strudwick fan but Malik> him and I HATE malik.

Why was Hollweg back in after being a major cause in the game 3 loss.

I have never been a Tom Renney fan, I never will be and do NOT think he is qualified to be the coach of the Rangers. Melrose may not have coached in 13 years, but he has a good amount of hockey knowledge. He sees things others do not and I think thats where Renney is lacking. Renney is not a visionary.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
I'd sure hope so.