HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny is a 3rd Line Player

Old
04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Well until our kids become consistent goal scorers, he's still at the top of our list and has place on this team.

Period end of discussion.
so then do you want him back next year?......or do you think the kids can take over....because although i think he is good for the playoffs, i DO NOT think he should be brought back

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Depends on a lot of factors.

1. Is Jagr coming back?
2. Is he retiring?
3. Are the Rangers dealing Prucha?
4. Are the Rangers going after another FA?
5. If he is coming back, what's the role and salary?

And a few others.

If Jagr isn't coming back, it increases his chances because they'll need a veteran wingman, even if that player might only amount to 20 goals and 40 points.

If that is the case, it depends on the salary.

There are too many unknowns at this point for me. I can't say I want him back no matter what, but I will not say that I'm 100%, without a doubt against it.

If the Rangers win the cup, it might be a nonpoint anyway. I could easily see both Jagr and Shanahan walking away at that point.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Pizza

I like Shanny around the younger guys. That never hurts.

Most guys his age I'd take a pass on, but Shanny will get his 20 and mentor the youngsters. That's pretty nice because they will be better down the road for it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:14 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

Most guys his age I'd take a pass on, but Shanny will get his 20 and mentor the youngsters. That's pretty nice because they will be better down the road for it.

And, if it's true that Shanny badgered the refs enough to get that call on Langenbrunner, that type of experience is just invaluable. Having a vet like Shanny, who can still get you 20 goals, and commands enough respect around the league to garner such a penalty in a big spot, is just priceless for a franchise looking to build a lasting commitment to winning.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

Pizza,
If he gets his 20-20-40 and mentors the youngsters next year, that'd be just fine. I just don't want to see those numbers if he's logging 20+ minutes of ice time every night. Waay too little impact.

If he's brought back, give him the Andreychuk in T.B treatment...4th line and 1st PP unit.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Pizza,
If he gets his 20-20-40 and mentors the youngsters next year, that'd be just fine. I just don't want to see those numbers if he's logging 20+ minutes of ice time every night. Waay too little impact.

If he's brought back, give him the Andreychuk in T.B treatment...4th line and 1st PP unit.
Renney may have set the stage for that when he put Shanny with Betts and Sjostrom in the last regular season against the Debbies. Both coach and player were happy with how things worked out.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Let me just say as a Devils fan, I'm always scared when Shanny is on the ice. He's one of those players that can turn a broken play into a goal.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:40 PM
The Thomas J.*

he is a thrid line player, ut what exactly does that mean? A typical 3rd line is a checking line, our 3rd line isn't our 3rd line puts up close to top 6 minutes. So fine, drop Shanny on the 3rd line.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:14 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Shanahan has demonstrated his leadership and value throughout the playoiffs. Consider his unselfish pass to Dawes so that the rookie could get his first playoff goal. Consider his ref baiting that set the stage for the call on Langenbrunner. Consider his goading of White into taking a coincidental minor penalty during the Rangers second period power play that took the Devils best defenseman off the ice. This guy is a pro. Yes he is on the downside of his career but he still contributes in many ways. He's welcome back on my team next year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:50 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:

1. Is Jagr coming back?
2. Is he retiring?

And a few others.

If Jagr isn't coming back, it increases his chances because they'll need a veteran wingman, even if that player might only amount to 20 goals and 40 points.

There are too many unknowns at this point for me. I can't say I want him back no matter what, but I will not say that I'm 100%, without a doubt against it.

If the Rangers win the cup, it might be a nonpoint anyway. I could easily see both Jagr and Shanahan walking away at that point.

What he said.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Forever Blue

For what they bring come this time of year, I think either Jagr or Shanahan needs to be on the team next season.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:43 PM
SPG

Quote:

1. Is Jagr coming back?
2. Is he retiring?

And a few others.

Agree 100%, Edge.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Well no matter what the Rangers WILL need a vet or two on the wings. Now the factors I listed earlier will come into play, but you'd hope they at least have someone.

It also depends on a vets willingess to have his icetime/role reduced.

Something tells me Shanahan would be okay with that. But it's still going to come down to several factors.

It's obvious that the kids can play and are the future of this team. However, you still need some experience out there.

Old
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
SPG

Quote:
Well no matter what the Rangers WILL need a vet or two on the wings. Now the factors I listed earlier will come into play, but you'd hope they at least have someone.

It also depends on a vets willingess to have his icetime/role reduced.

Something tells me Shanahan would be okay with that. But it's still going to come down to several factors.

It's obvious that the kids can play and are the future of this team. However, you still need some experience out there.
We'll see what kind of $ he asks for too.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
We'll see what kind of $ he asks for too.
And that will be another factor that will determine the direction the team takes.

I expect one of Shanahan, Straka and Jagr to be back.

Old
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
TomLaidlaw

Unfortunately for all of us all the fears/concerns regarding Shanny which were brought up in this thread came true. I have probably been the biggest anti-Shanny poster on these boards all season. This is the one time I wish I had been wrong. Even though I hounded the guy all year I was still pulling for him to find a magical 2nd wind and have a great end of the season which would hopefully result in him lifting the cup and me apologizing to him at the victory parade . Things didn't work out that way and Shanny dissappeared when it mattered the most. That is all in the past now and as long as we don't do anything silly like re-sign him I am officially done discussing Shanny.

My point I wanna make and the reason I bumped this thread is because I want to take Renney to task for how he handled this situation. I started this thread in October not to kill Shanny but because I saw our handling of Shanny headed down the Messier path (take a look at the first post in this thread). A once great player being given icetime based on past accomplishments. I had hoped that we had learned from our mistakes in the past but we proved to have learned nothing in that regard. My concern going forward is regarding Renney. He showed me this season that when he is presented with a strong personality (Shanny) with previous credentials he is incapable or unwilling to make the tough decision. There was a point in the Pittsburgh series where Renney bumped Shanny down to the 4th line in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a game. Then in the next practice Shanny was on the 4th line, by the time the next game came along Shanny was back on the 2nd line. Why? Why couldn't Renney stick to his guns and do what seemed to be the most obvious and logical move. I looked back throughout the whole year and when it came to Shanny it seemed Renney always put Shanny's feelings ahead of the teams best interests.

Let me state that I like Renney, and I don't wanna see him fired. However, this concerns me. What if we bring in another veteren down the road who has a strong personality. There is a fine line between showing a player the respect he deserves for what he accomplished and undermining your current teams best interest.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Unfortunately for all of us all the fears/concerns regarding Shanny which were brought up in this thread came true. I have probably been the biggest anti-Shanny poster on these boards all season. This is the one time I wish I had been wrong. Even though I hounded the guy all year I was still pulling for him to find a magical 2nd wind and have a great end of the season which would hopefully result in him lifting the cup and me apologizing to him at the victory parade . Things didn't work out that way and Shanny dissappeared when it mattered the most. That is all in the past now and as long as we don't do anything silly like re-sign him I am officially done discussing Shanny.

My point I wanna make and the reason I bumped this thread is because I want to take Renney to task for how he handled this situation. I started this thread in October not to kill Shanny but because I saw our handling of Shanny headed down the Messier path (take a look at the first post in this thread). A once great player being given icetime based on past accomplishments. I had hoped that we had learned from our mistakes in the past but we proved to have learned nothing in that regard. My concern going forward is regarding Renney. He showed me this season that when he is presented with a strong personality (Shanny) with previous credentials he is incapable or unwilling to make the tough decision. There was a point in the Pittsburgh series where Renney bumped Shanny down to the 4th line in the 2nd and 3rd periods of a game. Then in the next practice Shanny was on the 4th line, by the time the next game came along Shanny was back on the 2nd line. Why? Why couldn't Renney stick to his guns and do what seemed to be the most obvious and logical move. I looked back throughout the whole year and when it came to Shanny it seemed Renney always put Shanny's feelings ahead of the teams best interests.

Let me state that I like Renney, and I don't wanna see him fired. However, this concerns me. What if we bring in another veteren down the road who has a strong personality. There is a fine line between showing a player the respect he deserves for what he accomplished and undermining your current teams best interest.
im not going to defend renney, however shanahan was going to be playing on the 4th line during that series more than likely and the injuries to betts and avery didnt help when trying to keep him there.....especially the aver yinjury which is why, IMO he was back on the second line

Old
05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Fataldogg

Why are half of you taking Dubinsky away from Jagr? Keep those two together, its great for Dubinsky and it's an effective first line.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Why are half of you taking Dubinsky away from Jagr? Keep those two together, its great for Dubinsky and it's an effective first line.
wrong thread?