HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scouting the Flyers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
  #26
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
Fata, Koltsov, Kraft, Sivek, Beech, Abid, Lupaschuk, Surovy...
Kris Beech is actually a Penguin again hahaha

Seriously though that list hurts to look at. There are still people (okay one guy) at Mellon Arena that still wears his Milan Kraft #14 jersey. I appreciate him being a fan during some pretty dark days but shudder every time I see it.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
  #27
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think we saw the real Biron in game 5,wouldn't be to worried about him,just send Laraque to crack him again!!

Skate skate skate,they take dumb penalties
The Flyers fans on our board are saying that their D was able to keep up with your forwards, is that true? From what you said here it sounds like you'd disagree.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
  #28
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
The Flyers fans on our board are saying that their D was able to keep up with your forwards, is that true? From what you said here it sounds like you'd disagree.
They weren't. The drew a lot of penalties when our forwards were skating with the puck. What their D was successful at doing was getting between our forwards and the net because our forwards wouldn't go near it. So basically they'd have the puck and practice passing it to each other while their D watched from closer to Biron.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
  #29
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
The Flyers fans on our board are saying that their D was able to keep up with your forwards, is that true? From what you said here it sounds like you'd disagree.
They were able to keep our forwards out of the crease and that saved them. Otherwise, Habs forwards dominated the Flyer D (hence the high scoring chances we kept on missing).

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM
  #30
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
They weren't. The drew a lot of penalties when our forwards were skating with the puck. What their D was successful at doing was getting between our forwards and the net because our forwards wouldn't go near it. So basically they'd have the puck and practice passing it to each other while their D watched from closer to Biron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
They were able to keep our forwards out of the crease and that saved them. Otherwise, Habs forwards dominated the Flyer D (hence the high scoring chances we kept on missing).
Ah, wish bone time......

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
  #31
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
The Flyers fans on our board are saying that their D was able to keep up with your forwards, is that true? From what you said here it sounds like you'd disagree.
If we would have scored on half of our chances they wouldn't even have been in 1 single game.Timonen and Coburn were excellent,Hatcher and Smith blocked many shots but were very slow and most of the time out of position

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
  #32
Kachino
Registered User
 
Kachino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Kris Beech is actually a Penguin again hahaha

Seriously though that list hurts to look at. There are still people (okay one guy) at Mellon Arena that still wears his Milan Kraft #14 jersey. I appreciate him being a fan during some pretty dark days but shudder every time I see it.
Honestly, without those players... No Fleury.. No Whitney... No Malkin... I don't know about Crosby since every NHL team had a legit shot at the #1 pick of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
  #33
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
They weren't. The drew a lot of penalties when our forwards were skating with the puck. What their D was successful at doing was getting between our forwards and the net because our forwards wouldn't go near it. So basically they'd have the puck and practice passing it to each other while their D watched from closer to Biron.
Timonen- 0 PIM against Habs
Coburn- 4 PIM (2 for roughing) 2 for hooking
hatcher 19 PIMs (4 roughing 15 for the board)
Smith 2 PIMs eblowing (nothing to do with speed)
Kukkonen 6 PIMs (interference, roughing, holding the stick) Interference from hitting Kostopulus in the crease.
Jones 0 PIMS agains the habs

So they drew 1 hooking penalty and 1 holding the stick penalty from our defencemen. Only 2 penalties involving speed, and im not even sure the holding the stick was.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
  #34
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Timonen- 0 PIM against Habs
Coburn- 4 PIM (2 for roughing) 2 for hooking
hatcher 19 PIMs (4 roughing 15 for the board)
Smith 2 PIMs eblowing (nothing to do with speed)
Kukkonen 6 PIMs (interference, roughing, holding the stick) Interference from hitting Kostopulus in the crease.
Jones 0 PIMS agains the habs

So they drew 1 hooking penalty and 1 holding the stick penalty from our defencemen.
Fine then. They were gooning for those penalties. I didn't look up the stats and I honestly had the impression that there were a lot more hooks and slashes than that.
I'm just saying. Our skaters had the puck a lot, and they kept the puck a lot. They just didn't score goals with the puck a lot.
The Flyers D did not keep up with our forwards, they were just much better at the crease.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
  #35
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I think the Flyers played their best game in game 5, they deserved that one.
In that case maybe Habs were pushing the action (as they should) BECAUSE your club was almost always begind on score board.

Flyers were behind in game 5 and played very well, come back and won game 5. Habs tried to do the same thing but could not.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
  #36
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
In that case maybe Habs were pushing the action (as they should) BECAUSE your club was almost always begind on score board.

Flyers were behind in game 5 and played very well, come back and won game 5. Habs tried to do the same thing but could not.
Are you a Flyers fan?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
  #37
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
In that case maybe Habs were pushing the action (as they should) BECAUSE your club was almost always begind on score board.

Flyers were behind in game 5 and played very well, come back and won game 5. Habs tried to do the same thing but could not.
Nah, we just better.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
  #38
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
In that case maybe Habs were pushing the action (as they should) BECAUSE your club was almost always begind on score board.
The Habs carried the play in games 2 to 4 before the Flyers' first goal, too, outplaying them (sometimes badly) through most of those games, lead or not.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
  #39
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears
 
Saint Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 500
crash the f!@#@ net.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:54 PM
  #40
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
they have horse shoes up their rears, send in a special agent to retrive them!

otherwise evrything that might go in will indeed get deflected or somehow go in totaly randomly and impossibly!


Habitants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
  #41
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Fine then. They were gooning for those penalties. I didn't look up the stats and I honestly had the impression that there were a lot more hooks and slashes than that.
I'm just saying. Our skaters had the puck a lot, and they kept the puck a lot. They just didn't score goals with the puck a lot.
The Flyers D did not keep up with our forwards, they were just much better at the crease.
Okay, so it sounds like the Pens should be able to control the puck and if they are willing and able to get into the dirty areas we should be able to score.

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments and insights!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:13 PM
  #42
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Okay, so it sounds like the Pens should be able to control the puck and if they are willing and able to get into the dirty areas we should be able to score.

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments and insights!
Exactly it. Good luck!

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:14 PM
  #43
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Question for Habs fans..

How did you like Flyers in the last game?

Do you think Montreal outplayed Flyers in the last game?
Outplayed is a funny word. We definitely outchanced them. And the Flyers had 18 turnovers at one point.

Some of the strangest goals happened in that series.

I would say Montreal outplayed them up to the weird Richards goal and then they sagged

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
  #44
Bulis hit
Registered User
 
Bulis hit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
To me, there are numerous reasons why we were beaten, but one of the reasons not talked about so much, is their 2-way players. Richards and Carter are good offensive weapons and still are very good defensive players. Their young wingers are talented(upshall, umberger, knuble(not young), Prospal(not young), hartnell, someone I don't remember) along with 3 top 6 centers(Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere).. all 3 first lines can hurt you and stop your offensive players(not the briere line, the 2 others). Thats hard to play against. Their D is their weakness.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:30 PM
  #45
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Fine then. They were gooning for those penalties. I didn't look up the stats and I honestly had the impression that there were a lot more hooks and slashes than that.
I'm just saying. Our skaters had the puck a lot, and they kept the puck a lot. They just didn't score goals with the puck a lot.
The Flyers D did not keep up with our forwards, they were just much better at the crease.
Our forwards may have been hooking and such, but almost every forward does. I know Prospal takes lazy hooks.

Our defense on a whole isnt slow. Timonen and Coburn are extremely quick, Jones and Kukkonen are a bit above average, Smith is below average, and Hatcher is slow as frozen molasses.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
  #46
dlandry77
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Yup, I'm 29 (will be 30 on june 4th, yikes!) and have been a Pens fan since right before the 1st cup in 1992 when I started watching sports with my dad (the Pirates were even good then!). I'm one of the few thousands here in Pittsburgh that actually paid to watch guys like Rico Fata and Konstantin Koltsov 6 years ago haha.

I've been a season ticket holder since right before the lockout and the people that I work with that used to ask me why I'd waste my money on the Pens are now begging me to take them to playoff games! Those types 'fans' give Pens fans a bad name on these boards I think.
Nice to hear
Your speed will be too much for the Flyers. Fleury has been dynamyte and unfourtanely I think Price got a little fatigued. Using Gonchar on the Point for the Powerplay should be great. If you get traffic in front there will be lots of goals scored. The Flyers will try to bring there physical side but honestly I thought the Bruins played better in that aspect. Get someone to beat the crap out of Brier that would be sweet.

Maybe Crosby Vs Brier in a fight. That would be the best fight ever.

There defence is pretty slow, espically Hatcher.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:37 PM
  #47
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Hey guys, Pens fan here. Obviously I know the Flyers roster and style of play well, but I didn't get to watch much of your series with the Flyers so I wanted to ask what you thought were the reasons that Philly was able to win it.

I know that Price under-performed but what were the other factors that lead to the series going the way that it went?

And what matchup(s) do you think were the most in the Flyers favor in your series?

Thanks guys!
Price didn't play well and Biron overacheived. End of story. The habs were better in every other aspect of the game.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
  #48
Corky
Registered User
 
Corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Price didn't play well and Biron overacheived. End of story. The habs were better in every other aspect of the game.
Yep, sums it up pretty well

If Fleury plays ok, the Pens should beat the Flyers, I didn't find them impressive at all except for Biron.

(Umberger was not all that impressive, its just that everything he touched turned into a goal for some strange reason)

Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
  #49
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
To me, there are numerous reasons why we were beaten, but one of the reasons not talked about so much, is their 2-way players. Richards and Carter are good offensive weapons and still are very good defensive players. Their young wingers are talented(upshall, umberger, knuble(not young), Prospal(not young), hartnell, someone I don't remember) along with 3 top 6 centers(Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere).. all 3 first lines can hurt you and stop your offensive players(not the briere line, the 2 others). Thats hard to play against. Their D is their weakness.
No question about it. Hopefully next season we add one good d-man via trade or ufa

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
  #50
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Our forwards may have been hooking and such, but almost every forward does. I know Prospal takes lazy hooks.

Our defense on a whole isnt slow. Timonen and Coburn are extremely quick, Jones and Kukkonen are a bit above average, Smith is below average, and Hatcher is slow as frozen molasses.
I think the 2 you mention are pretty vulnerable and Mtl has themselves to blame for not taking advantage. I heard McGuire tlaking about how they adjusted, but Mtl's forwards have to be blamed for not exploiting them.


For the most part, I think Philly plays straight up , up and down hockey, pretty balanced lines. Richards is the key as he has the biggest capacity for making a big play. I noticed that Stevens is a bit paranoid about Briere's matchup, and this may become a problem.

Unless confidence or frustration becomes an issue, I think Pittsburgh has too much top end talent. I think they'll be harder to contain. I could be wrong, but I see Philly as being in deep in this one.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.