HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Paul Maurice Fired

Old
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Or this scenario.

"Leafs sign Brian Burke"

Today, the Maple Leafs shocked the hockey world by hiring Brian Burke at the position of General Manager.

Burke, 47, who previously was manager of a Zellers store in Saskatoon, was surprised when he received the call. Still, he agreed to go forward in an adventure that is new for him, despite years of experience in EA NHL games.

Richard Peddie said of the signing "Hey, it's the closest we got of getting a guy named Brian Burke with management experience. I believe he will continue the long history of Leafs excellence spanning 4 decades".

The other Brian Burke, GM for the Anaheim Ducks, only referred to the hiring as "creepy".

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
according to your friendly neighbourhood rumour monger for profit, barry melrose is looking to or will be back in the nhl behind the bench shortly..
maybe he'll end up in TO? haha
Some rumors had him going to Tampa?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Habbadasher

It might be easy to say that Toronto should have been better after adding a # 1 goalie, and a 40 goal scorer. Reality is that Blake had cancer, and scored 40 only once, and is a career third liner. A good third liner, but a third liner.

The Leafs have no second line, or first line. They have a three third lines, Ya ain't gonna far with that.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Melrose to tampa bay and tortorella to toronto? Btw, if melrose is going to tb and the new owner in tb is approved (the guy frm hollywood) i guarantee you lecavalier would not sign back with tb!!!

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
sandman08

i dont know to be honest.. thats a possibility given the new owner is a hollywood guy and all (i forget his name all of a sudden.. the saw guy, oren something)

i just found it funny because after my time down south and watching hockey on epsn and nhl 2night with buccicross and melrose, he became nothing more than a talking mullet to me so i just laugh when i see him (although hes a smart mullet, good hockey mind and all, but that damn mullet bothered me)

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM
ShaneJazz

Send a message via AIM to ShaneJazz
Don't overlook Cito Gaston as a darkhorse candidate. He's the only coach to ever win in that town!

ShaneJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Let the pandemonium that is the Toronto Maple Leafs continue...... The next 3 years in T.O. are going to be absolute hell, Leafs actually have done Maurice a favour.

He wasn't the problem or the solution, just a scapegoat.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Let the pandemonium that is the Toronto Maple Leafs continue...... The next 3 years in T.O. are going to be absolute hell, Leafs actually have done Maurice a favour.

He wasn't the problem or the solution, just a scapegoat.
And the problem is they always try their best to make it every year. When a 7th overall pick is the best you can do for your depleted prospect pool, it's going to be hard to get some quality players. Signing Jason Blake to more than 2 years was an absolute mistake, he only scored 40 once, before that he was a 20-25 goal scorer. Granted Philly turned the team around, but they did that through smart trades a la Coburn. Had the Leafs traded Sundin at the deadline and got some NHL ready assets we could be seeing a much different team next year. But they will go on re-signing Mats and hoping he can carry the team yet again and yet again they will fall short.

I don't like the Leafs, but I feel sorry for their fans that have to put up with mediocrity and false sense of hope each year.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I don't like the Leafs, but I feel sorry for their fans that have to put up with mediocrity and false sense of hope each year.
I don't. It's their fault precisely because they do put up with it. There is no incentive to win when you don't run into financial trouble by being a perennial loser.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
JrHockeyFan

Maurice is hardly a successful coach, but quite frankly i find it hard to believe that coaching is their biggest problem

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
The Leafs have no second line, or first line. They have a three third lines, Ya ain't gonna far with that.
Actually, I wouldn't be so hard on the Leafs.
They do have one elite 1st liner in Sundin (for however long he plays...) and another 'now' (or rather 'finally') decent 2nd liner (1st line might be stretching it...) in Antropov.
Everyone else...yeah...well....unless Tlusty gets better...a whole bunch of third and fourth line scrubs...

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Maurice is hardly a successful coach, but quite frankly i find it hard to believe that coaching is their biggest problem
Even if he was a crappy coach it wouldn't make sense. All that is going to happen is that they will hire a coach, then they will hire a gm, and said just hired coach would get fired and another coach would come in...it'll be a coaching musical chairs...Sundin deserves better than that...heck, most Leaf fans probably deserves better...

Old
05-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Habbadasher

I agree that Sundin is a first liner and Antropov is a second liner, but those two guys aren't, by definition, complete lines

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I agree that Sundin is a first liner and Antropov is a second liner, but those two guys aren't, by definition, complete lines
Hey, but put those two together, and add some 3rd line scrub and you have a pretty good 2nd line no? It certainly wouldn't be considered a 3rd line.

Old
05-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Hey, but put those two together, and add some 3rd line scrub and you have a pretty good 2nd line no? It certainly wouldn't be considered a 3rd line.
Welcome to Mats Sundin's career.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Lol, true enough...although this past years Antropov is probably one of his better line mates he has had over the years

Old
05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
giovanni

Should have waited for the New GM to make that call. so now they will hire a new head coach or will they wait for the new GM? I will tell you, that team is ****ed up.

if i was GM of that team, i tell my players to tank the season and then we can get Tavares in 09.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-07-2008 at 02:04 PM.
giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
You guys dissin' The Man, The Legend, that is Jonas Hoglund?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni View Post
Should have waited for the New GM to make that call. so now they will hire a new head coach or will they wait for the new GM? I will tell you, that team is ****ed up.

if i was GM of that team, i tell my players to tank the season and then we can get Tavares in 09.
Pro players have pride and will not give up.... especially if Sundin is back....

You want to finish last, you clean house and make sure that the players you have stink.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
neofury*

I liked Pat Quinn but hated Paul Maurice. Imo Quinn should've stayed a leaf, he was a good coach.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:22 PM
BrianR7

cry me a damn river u guys finished first in the east and got dominated by the 7th place flyers who had a good veteran goalie but went wit a rookie instead for the playoffs so look who's management is messed up

BrianR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR7 View Post
cry me a damn river u guys finished first in the east and got dominated by the 7th place flyers who had a good veteran goalie but went wit a rookie instead for the playoffs so look who's management is messed up
Hmm, let me think. Nope, still the Leafs.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Silvertip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR7 View Post
Well at this point and time at least we have a management and made the playoffs and have a bright future and..............

Silvertip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its not surprising at all. It just makes it more attractive for a new gm coming in that he can hire his own coach right away, rather than having to fire Maurice himself.

But I do feel bad for Maurice. Throughout his coaching career, he has coached very mediocre teams, yet he has found a way to make it to the finals. Vesa Toskala might be the best goalie ever supplied to maurice in his coaching career. Nothing has come easy for him and he clearly isn't afraid of the challenge.

Now, Leaf fans can act delusional and put a large amount of blame on Maurice, but its wrong. He's not had a good deck of cards to play with during his tenure in Toronto. The fault lies in higher management ranks.

There isn't any quick and easy solution in Toronto. Another missed playoff is quite conceivable no matter who they hire. They have a few contracts to eat, and their best player is playing on a year to year basis at this point.

I'll be curious to see where the new leafs brass takes this team. Will they go for their typical band-aid solution method or will they actually commit to a long term goal?

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
"Coach, they're killin us out there! What do we do!?"

"BAM! WHAMO! MONSTER!"

"o... ok... thanks coach."

Would he be able to contain his love affair for Dion Phaneuf when playing against him or would he blow him kisses during line changes?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote