HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery update

Old
05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
jmb9191

vCash: 500
If Sean likes playing for the Rangers as much as he says, and he wants to win for the city as much as he says, he won't ask for anything ridiclious, will get a nice contract, leaving more room for other FA's.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Just read the article by Brooks. I love how he brings up the Daily News report for no apparent reason:
It's so odd that Dealpina is sticking to his story.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Smashley

Quote:
"The major thing for me is not to get hit again in the short-term. I guess I'd better watch myself when I'm outside walking that nobody crashes into me or that I don't get hit by a car while I'm crossing the street."
Not sure why I find this funny....probably cause I could totally hear his sarcasm

This guy would play if his intestines were dragging out on the ice. Keep him a Ranger!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
NYRSinceBirth

I love Avery, but I wouldn't give him more than $3/3.2 tops, and a contract no longer than 2/3 years tops. He brings a lot, but the fine line he walks can easily turn into trouble. Not to mention, we all remember (last season was it?) the team's record with and without Malik, and look at him now.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I love Avery, but I wouldn't give him more than $3/3.2 tops, and a contract no longer than 2/3 years tops. He brings a lot, but the fine line he walks can easily turn into trouble. Not to mention, we all remember (last season was it?) the team's record with and without Malik, and look at him now.
agreed. awesome avatar. I might bump Avery's salary to $3.5m, but not much higher.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:04 PM
NYR Viper

10 million for 3 years is what i would like his contract to be.....that is a good amount and it lets him get another payday at 31...his prime

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

4 yrs 15 mil is more than fair

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
The Perfect Paradox

glad to see that that Aves is alright. I would really like to see him back next year. I agree with 4 years 15 mil.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:37 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Not sure why I find this funny....probably cause I could totally hear his sarcasm

This guy would play if his intestines were dragging out on the ice. Keep him a Ranger!
Yeah that's a great quote lol

Glad to hear Sean's doing much better and that he's still a total smartass As long as we can fit in everyone else needed, I'd love to see him back as a blueshirt for several years to come.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:04 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
agreed. awesome avatar. I might bump Avery's salary to $3.5m, but not much higher.
I even feel that's pushing it. I've heard a lot of people say he would come back to bite us in the ass, signing with the Debbies or the Fishsticks. I don't think that will ever happen as long as Brodeur is in town ans NYI blows. Avery wants to be on NYR, let's see how badly.

BTW: The Simpsons FTW, especially Homer haha.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/sp...in&oref=slogin

Forward Sean Avery, fresh out of the hospital after sustaining a lacerated spleen in Game 3 against the Penguins, said that he would love to stay in New York but that his decision would depend on the Rangers’ offer. He broke off contract negotiations with the team in February, when the Rangers were not approaching his $4 million asking price.

05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I even feel that's pushing it. I've heard a lot of people say he would come back to bite us in the ass, signing with the Debbies or the Fishsticks. I don't think that will ever happen as long as Brodeur is in town ans NYI blows. Avery wants to be on NYR, let's see how badly.

BTW: The Simpsons FTW, especially Homer haha.
I don't think he'd sign with NJ or NYI, but it would be tough if he signed with another Eastern Conf team.

Old
05-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't think he'd sign with NJ or NYI, but it would be tough if he signed with another Eastern Conf team.
Agreed. Not sure NJ would want him, especially since half the fans were calling for his head. His attitude probably wouldn't fit well here either... but then again apparently he has gotten better with it. He wants to be stay in New York. Wonder if he would take less than what he initially wants? I think hes proven how important to team he is. He's the same kind of player that Hartnell is, so he should get similar money

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
More:

Forward Sean Avery, fresh out of the hospital after sustaining a lacerated spleen in Game 3 against the Penguins, said that he would love to stay in New York but that his decision would depend on the Rangers’ offer. He broke off contract negotiations with the team in February, when the Rangers were not approaching his $4 million asking price.
i'm not against giving him $3.5 mill...it seems that he just wants the Rangers to approach the $4 mill mark, so $3.5 should work for him. He wants to play here and so I assume he will compromise half-way with the Rangers. Should not be a problem.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
More:

Love the guy, but with the other holes we need to fill, anything over 3.5 is too much.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Love the guy, but with the other holes we need to fill, anything over 3.5 is too much.
since the rangers lack grit and spunk avery is worth it

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
mstraka82

just give Avery whatever he wants he is a New York Ranger, its obvious that Slats is gonna play his games with Aves

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
just give Avery whatever he wants he is a New York Ranger, its obvious that Slats is gonna play his games with Aves
I think Sather would give Avery whatever he wants... But this is a cap world now. The Rangers don't exactly have a ton of room under the cap. They have to be especially cautious about what amount of money they give to some of these players.

Someone like Avery is someone worth playing a bit of hardball with. He's a guy you love to have, but can live without. Every Rangers fan wants Avery back, but he's not exactly perfect either. He's not very responsible defensively and he turns the puck over too much. His positives however far outweigh the negatives so I think anyone wants him back.

But Sather can't just give these guys whatever they want. It kills the team.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Agreed. Not sure NJ would want him, especially since half the fans were calling for his head. His attitude probably wouldn't fit well here either... but then again apparently he has gotten better with it. He wants to be stay in New York. Wonder if he would take less than what he initially wants? I think hes proven how important to team he is. He's the same kind of player that Hartnell is, so he should get similar money
Avery's attitude might only be a good fit in a few cities and maybe even less locker rooms.

He was a good fit for the city of LA, but he burned bridges in the locker room. NY loves him, but what other city would embrace him? Or what city would he like to stay in?

Miami maybe? He's pretty flashy, but I doubt he would sign there unless all he cares about is cash.

NY loves him because of his personality and because his style helps the Rangers win. However, if he's on a team that doesn't utilize him well and he becomes a distraction he may be public enemy No. 1 again.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:56 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I think Sather would give Avery whatever he wants... But this is a cap world now. The Rangers don't exactly have a ton of room under the cap. They have to be especially cautious about what amount of money they give to some of these players.

Someone like Avery is someone worth playing a bit of hardball with. He's a guy you love to have, but can live without. Every Rangers fan wants Avery back, but he's not exactly perfect either. He's not very responsible defensively and he turns the puck over too much. His positives however far outweigh the negatives so I think anyone wants him back.

But Sather can't just give these guys whatever they want. It kills the team.
give a player what he wants that fits with this team, or sign an ufa who might take 4 months to get used to his new teammates. id do the first one, lets not change the team too much, chemistry is a big part of hockey.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Avery's attitude might only be a good fit in a few cities and maybe even less locker rooms.

He was a good fit for the city of LA, but he burned bridges in the locker room. NY loves him, but what other city would embrace him? Or what city would he like to stay in?

Miami maybe? He's pretty flashy, but I doubt he would sign there unless all he cares about is cash.

NY loves him because of his personality and because his style helps the Rangers win. However, if he's on a team that doesn't utilize him well and he becomes a distraction he may be public enemy No. 1 again.
He'd be a hero in Philadelphia. Probably Boston as well. And if he didn't have history with the Rangers, both the Devils and Islanders fans would welcome him with open arms.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
He'd be a hero in Philadelphia. Probably Boston as well. And if he didn't have history with the Rangers, both the Devils and Islanders fans would welcome him with open arms.
Honestly, not to get into a big Devils/Rangers fan, but I was a very big detractor of Avery's long before he was traded last year. I would not have been too happy had the Devils traded for him.

I don't know how well he would be received anywhere if he did not mesh well with the team.

I agree about Boston and Philly though for the most part.

Old
05-07-2008, 01:07 PM
mstraka82

He said he would never go to the Devils, Islanders, Philly, He has to be in a major fashion city ha

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Honestly, not to get into a big Devils/Rangers fan, but I was a very big detractor of Avery's long before he was traded last year. I would not have been too happy had the Devils traded for him.

I don't know how well he would be received anywhere if he did not mesh well with the team.

I agree about Boston and Philly though for the most part.
I respect that because I felt the exact same way. I was pissed when the Rangers traded for him because, even though we gave up next to nothing, I thought he'd be more of a distraction than anything else. But once I saw the effect that he had on the team I quickly changed my tune.

I'd be willing to bet that you (or at least most Devils fans) would have the same reaction.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I left the gate open

If Shanny doesn't come back, there's a bit of a question (in my mind, at least) about how that will affect Avery's game and lockerroom presence. It is a key part of Avery's affectiveness that he continually walks right along the line without crossing it, so to speak. And Shanny played a crucial role in keeping him from crossing the line. Drury seems like he's able to take on that responsibility, but I would hesitate before giving Avery a long-term deal, until it's clear that there won't be long-term problems. I think it would benefit the Rangers more now to give him a higher-salary, shorter-term deal, where the cap-hit won't affect them too badly given the short-term. If he really is a Ranger at heart (and I think he is), then it shouldn't be a problem signing him to an extension.

I left the gate open is offline   Reply With Quote