HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Drury-A winger? Yeah, right

Old
05-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Power play.....and all im saying is drury would work well with gomez and anisimov is going to be the future of the rangers AT Center
6 assists on 25 goals
6 assists on 12 PP goals.

That's the chemistry you're talking about between Gomez and Drury?

Besides which, I'm not worried about their powerplay chemistry. It doesn't prove anything.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I was not aware he still felt positive about the orginization.
True story (not just one you might think is true): according to a man who knows, Bobby Holik is the best free agent recruiter Glen Sather has going.

"Any time the subject comes up, Bobby tells players that you don't know what first-class treatment is until you play for the Rangers," our source attests. "He never stops selling New York."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05042008...321.htm?page=2

05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
True story (not just one you might think is true): according to a man who knows, Bobby Holik is the best free agent recruiter Glen Sather has going.

"Any time the subject comes up, Bobby tells players that you don't know what first-class treatment is until you play for the Rangers," our source attests. "He never stops selling New York."

I guess buying him for 45mil has finally paid off.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

Give Holik a job in the front office than asa PR Public relations, player recuriter.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:10 AM
NYRSinceBirth

You can still move him to wing while keeping him a #1 face off guy no?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Didn't Jagr and Holik have some kind of spat a few years back?

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:31 AM
lotus

but...Holik is so ugly....

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
but...Holik is so ugly....
Summed it up best.

Seriously, I really don't think this team should even worry about a center at this point. We have one of the best groups of centers in the league in my opinion (I say that because of Betts' value as a fourth liner and penalty killer) with Anisimov coming as well. This is definitely one position we don't need help at.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Summed it up best.

Seriously, I really don't think this team should even worry about a center at this point. We have one of the best groups of centers in the league in my opinion (I say that because of Betts' value as a fourth liner and penalty killer) with Anisimov coming as well. This is definitely one position we don't need help at.
It's not worrying about center. It would be addressing their need for wing (where they do need help).

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Why wouldn't he? He raves about the organization and how they treat players. He's going to want to go to a team that can win a Cup. And the Rangers are that team (this time).
He's also suing the Rangers for bonus money that they didn't pay him, and still refuse to pay him. Dunno, honestly I don't see a big point in Holik, and he's not going to come super cheap either. He still seems too slow for the Rangers, who like guys who can skate on their top lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Anisimov will ultimately play center. His game is far better suited for it than for playing wing. Whether he has to spend some time at wing before he gets a spot there remains to be seen.

Korpikoski's natural position is wing, so there will be no issue with him playing there whatsoever. Still, the added flexibility he offers by being able to play all three positions makes him extremely valuable.

Honestly, I think Dubi is better better suited to be moved to wing than either Drury or Anisimov. But we'll have to wait and see how things work out -- this likely isn't a question that will need to be answered at the start of next season, because Anisimov is very likely to spend at least part of next season in Hartford. One thing's for sure, there's no such thing as "too deep" at center.
Pretty much. Anisimov really seems more like a center than a winger, and Korpikoski is actually already a winger. Dubinsky is probably more suited for wing than Anisimov, but I'm not sure about compared to Drury...

In any case, I think this is pretty premature, because Squishy is probably right in that Anisimov is going to need at least part of another year in the AHL.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I wouldn't mind Drury as a winger as long as the center who is replacing him is close to as responsible defensively. Whatever it takes to put the best team on the ice. Personally I think next year with Cherepanov coming up, having Anisimov and Cherepanov together with (if he's still around) Jagr would be pretty awesome. Although I think if Jagr's still around Cherepanov - Dubinsky - Jagr is bigger possibility.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I wouldn't mind Drury as a winger as long as the center who is replacing him is close to as responsible defensively. Whatever it takes to put the best team on the ice. Personally I think next year with Cherepanov coming up, having Anisimov and Cherepanov together with (if he's still around) Jagr would be pretty awesome. Although I think if Jagr's still around Cherepanov - Dubinsky - Jagr is bigger possibility.
Cherepanov and Jagr play the same wing, though. I'm not big on flipping wingers.

Also, Drury's defensive abilities are another reason to be hesitant about moving him to wing. He may end up in less of a position to do as much on all ends of the ice if he's not playing center

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
DutchShamrock

Drury started out his NHL career as Forsberg's winger. The main reason for that move was to ease him into the league. There are many, many responsiblities for a centerman and Colorado didn't want to heap all of that on him right away. They recognized the skill and quality within Drury and figured he would be a valuable asset to the big club instead of cutting his teeth in the minors. This isn't speculation, these are his words in some form or another that I have read over the years.

Drury is a candidate to move because he can move. We are very deep at center: Gomez, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Betts, Moore, Korpikoski. Me are very thin on wing. We are paying Drury first line money but he's on the 3rd. Moving him to wing solves all of those problems. Or maybe the lesson here is to put Anisimov, Moore or Korpikoski on a wing just like Drury did to start his career. Someone will have to play out of position to get some of these young centers on the team.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
I can only guess that this thread had something to do with my out of the box thought of signing Bobby Holik and moving Drury to the wing.

My reasoning:

1) Holik adds size and grit which the Rangers need from their forwards.

2) He is a shout down center (eventhough he wasn't used that way when he was here) that can match up against and hopefully wear down a Crosby or Malkin by being physical.

3) Drury should good chemistry with Gomez. By most people's account finding a winger who can score to play with Gomez is a priority this offseason.

4) To me Drury is better (and a better option) than 99% of the UFA wingers that are out there. And yes, he can still take face-offs.

5) I believe that Holik would come cheaper than the likes of Rolston, Ryder and certainly Hossa. And for less years.

6) With that money you save you can address issues on the blueline and maybe even the third or fourth line (Jarko Ruutu as a thought).

Again, not saying it's my first choice, but there is at least a modicum of rationale to it
I'd love to see Avery and Holik on a line together. Shutdown city.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
I'd love to see Avery and Holik on a line together. Shutdown city.
holik did not work the first time, why would it work now, lets bring back rucinsky as well

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Cherepanov and Jagr play the same wing, though. I'm not big on flipping wingers.

Also, Drury's defensive abilities are another reason to be hesitant about moving him to wing. He may end up in less of a position to do as much on all ends of the ice if he's not playing center
i think Cherepanov plays both wings....

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
holik did not work the first time, why would it work now
Because he would be used correctly. Next question.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Drury is a candidate to move because he can move. We are very deep at center: Gomez, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Betts, Moore, Korpikoski. Me are very thin on wing. We are paying Drury first line money but he's on the 3rd. Moving him to wing solves all of those problems. Or maybe the lesson here is to put Anisimov, Moore or Korpikoski on a wing just like Drury did to start his career. Someone will have to play out of position to get some of these young centers on the team.
Moore and Korpikoski are both natural wingers who moved to center because there was a need in Hartford. Shifting them back to wing will not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i think Cherepanov plays both wings....
No, he doesn't.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Because he would be used correctly. Next question.
Thanks Singn, you beat me to it. Moving on....

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
It's not worrying about center. It would be addressing their need for wing (where they do need help).
I agree with that, but I just think that both Drury and Gomez are perfectly suited to the center position..if you are going to move either one, I actually think Gomez might be a slightly better option although his passing ability makes him an ideal center.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
I guess buying him for 45mil has finally paid off.
While true, I'm actually of the camp that (quietly) would like to bring him in for our 4th line.

I would fully support having Holik here in a limited role.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:28 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:

Yeah, heard about his love for the Rangers. I love the fact Kovalchuk probably hears these things as well. And Marian Hossa when he was there.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Moore and Korpikoski are both natural wingers who moved to center because there was a need in Hartford. Shifting them back to wing will not be an issue.
You're right. And to be completely honest, while we're short on wings, it's really right wing that is the team's weakness. We can shift Drury, Moore, Korp, Avery, Straka or anyone honestly, but it's still a push in the end because none of them will end up on the right side.

At the end of the day, I hope the Rangers avoid LWs in the offseason (and any huge commitment to a RW) because we have enough bodies and versitility on the roster there. Moving Drury shouldn't even be a concern yet. Let Renney figure it out in the offseason. Basically, if you move him or don't, you'll still have plenty of centers and plenty of left wings going into camp.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote