HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers coaching search

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Clint

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
I want Clint to be our next head coach - mostly because he looks great in a suit and would give me comp tix.
I look better out of my suit, sweetheart.

Old
04-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Crossbar

Hire new blood (no particular order)....

Tim Hunter
Kirk Muller
Dale Hunter
John Anderson
Patrick Roy (read this story too)

Not too sure about Randy Cunneyworth, but he'd be fine too I guess.

Old
04-28-2008, 06:59 PM
sabrefan27

You guys don't want Randy. He's not very well liked in Rochester and many question his actual coaching abilities.

Old
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
You guys don't want Randy. He's not very well liked in Rochester and many question his actual coaching abilities.
Really? This is the first I've heard this, but you're definitely one of the top people in-the-know with that team.

04-28-2008, 07:11 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Really? This is the first I've heard this, but you're definitely one of the top people in-the-know with that team.
He's good in the AHL. He can teach young players, but I don't think anyone has ever really been impressed with his actual coaching abilities.

His teams always had a habit of tanking in the playoffs, or just under performing. He's basically a statue during games, and I personally hate coaches with very little fire. His teams usually played very soft. I just didn't like him. I don't think he'd succeed in the NHL.

Old
04-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
He's good in the AHL. He can teach young players, but I don't think anyone has ever really been impressed with his actual coaching abilities.

His teams always had a habit of tanking in the playoffs, or just under performing. He's basically a statue during games, and I personally hate coaches with very little fire. His teams usually played very soft. I just didn't like him. I don't think he'd succeed in the NHL.
Wow, he sounds like a clone of Jacques. If that's how he is, I've changed my mind on him. Thanks for your input. It's always welcome.

*Hey, what's the stories up there with Rocehester? It sounds down here like we're going to be taking over the team.

Old
04-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Slick Cat

He does sound like a jacques clone, which is very scary since Jacques, who failed as our head coach, now has the power to choose his own replacement. Only on the panthers............

Old
04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Wow, he sounds like a clone of Jacques. If that's how he is, I've changed my mind on him. Thanks for your input. It's always welcome.

*Hey, what's the stories up there with Rocehester? It sounds down here like we're going to be taking over the team.
We're seemingly taking over as sole affiliate (I guess that's agreed to but it's still pending Rochester's status next year), however I believe GR's interview with Martin put the kibosh to any rumor the Panthers would buy them, citing the money lost on the San Antonio fiasco as a deterrent.

04-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
We're seemingly taking over as sole affiliate (I guess that's agreed to but it's still pending Rochester's status next year), however I believe GR's interview with Martin put the kibosh to any rumor the Panthers would buy them, citing the money lost on the San Antonio fiasco as a deterrent.
I've heard the same, I was just curious as to what's being said in that area and what the mindset is in terms of them becoming solely the Panthers afiliate.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
PattyLaLa16

Some fans up here like the idea of the Panthers taking over, while most others are A) Mad over losing the beloved Sabres and B) Not convinced Florida has what it takes to make the Amerks a good team year after year.

Myself personally, I'm happy that Florida is coming in and replacing the Sabres. Buffalo wanted a mostly all developmental team with very very few players over the age of lets say 23 or 24. Florida has told Amerk management that they would like to have 4-5 veterans up here to mentor the young forwards and d-men, with a Veteran Goalie to work with Tyler Plante next season. Whom by the way I found out yesterday that he's having Shoulder surgery this week.

Old
04-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLaLa16 View Post
Some fans up here like the idea of the Panthers taking over, while most others are A) Mad over losing the beloved Sabres and B) Not convinced Florida has what it takes to make the Amerks a good team year after year.

Myself personally, I'm happy that Florida is coming in and replacing the Sabres. Buffalo wanted a mostly all developmental team with very very few players over the age of lets say 23 or 24. Florida has told Amerk management that they would like to have 4-5 veterans up here to mentor the young forwards and d-men, with a Veteran Goalie to work with Tyler Plante next season. Whom by the way I found out yesterday that he's having Shoulder surgery this week.
Thanks for the input. If there's one thing Martin seems to be committed to, it's building up the prospect pool.

Old
04-29-2008, 02:32 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Thanks for the input. If there's one thing Martin seems to be committed to, it's building up the prospect pool.
Most of the time he seems committed to building the prospect pool but I still don't understand trading a third for Kilger even if he comes to this team especially since we don't have a first.

We do need a coach who has the opposite personality as JM and doesn't play the same defensive system. Unfortunately, I think we will end up with the same defensive minded coach but **might** get lucky to get a coach with a pulse. Otherwise, removing JM as coach does nothing. We need a CHANGE not a clone.

Also, I don't like the idea of being patient as in waiting till August. Seems too conservative. I understand some potential coaches are still going to be in the Playoffs for some weeks but we can't wait forever. I don't think it matters for the UFA season since we wont be signing anyone and we should save our money for the following UFA season but a new coach could make it easier or more difficult to sign Bouw or Olesz or even Frolik so time is of the essence.

Would anyone be opposed to bringing in a coach on a interim basis? Similar to temp to hire position.

I really feel like JM wants the Rangers Assistant b/c of the defensive style of play. Does anyone know what his personality is like and how he does with youngsters? If we are getting a new coach I have decided that we need a coach who has a history of developing young potential talent and getting more out of underachieving players; i.e. Horton. This goes somewhat with personality but I'm not very familiar with coaches and their records with developing talent. Basically, if Matthias, Frolik, and Repik don't live up to their billing this franchise is in HUGE HUGE trouble. Everyone here, myself included, know that these three guys will determine if we finally become a legitimate contender. We really need a coach who develops young prospects into NHL players.

Moreover, going back to the three young guys, owning an AHL affiliate or having a coach who has the same system as the NHL team makes a big difference. I think the fact that we never really have our AHL talent working in our system makes the transition that much more difficult. In my opinion we should see if we can somehow eliminate this bump in the road. Doubtful I know but just throwing it out there.

This is kinda off-topic but Kreps played really well this season and I think he is going to have a David Booth type year next year. He has good hands, can skate well and a decent shot. He'll be more comfortable and confident and I really think he will put up 20 goals. This team really has a lot of young talent which is vital when there is a salary cap. There is so much parody in the league these days that if we can get a coach to get more out of the players or have them live up to their potential we have we should definitely make the playoffs and even win the division. When I look at our roster we only lack a number one winger but that can definitely be overcome with the right coach. I say this because we will not sign a UFA impact/top line winger. Wont happen, never does here. I'll be SHOCKED. That is why I can't stress enough the importance of the right coach who can develop young talent. Maybe I'm wrong about JM being too patient and scared he'll miss out on the right coach but we definitely need a coach who develops young talent more than anything.

Sorry for the rant but I'm worried and like many of you I have invested so much emotionally and financially in this team. Not to mention all the time wasted lol on this board.

Old
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Crossbar

Don't forget there is a vacant head coaching position in Ottawa, so possible coaching candidates are likely waiting to see what happens there first, which would mean we have to wait too.

Old
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I personally think the dancing banana should be our coach:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

Old
05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Montsy14

JM was talking with Bob Hartley in a press(or luxury) box at the Bell Centre. I'm sure it was more of a friendly chat, with JM wondering what Hartley's plans were. I don't think it was an interview or anything...

Old
05-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
JM was talking with Bob Hartley in a press(or luxury) box at the Bell Centre. I'm sure it was more of a friendly chat, with JM wondering what Hartley's plans were. I don't think it was an interview or anything...
Yeah, Hartley works for RDS now...

Old
05-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Anod

I heard that Pat Burns currently lives in Florida.

I think Burns would be a good fit for this team. He has a lot of experience. He can coach a defense first style. And since it is close to home, it might help in his recovery from cancer.

Old
05-04-2008, 04:27 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anod View Post
I heard that Pat Burns currently lives in Florida.

I think Burns would be a good fit for this team. He has a lot of experience. He can coach a defense first style. And since it is close to home, it might help in his recovery from cancer.
Burns is the best option for sure, the question is if he is ready to coach again in the NHL and if he wants to take over this team.

Old
05-04-2008, 08:01 PM
zeroG

there's a nice video clip on tsn.ca on burns. he's assisting team canada and apparently wants to get back to coaching now. they mentioned rumors about him coming to FL or OTT.

(link: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/st...anadian_hockey)

Last edited by zeroG: 05-04-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added link
Old
05-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
there's a nice video clip on tsn.ca on burns. he's assisting team canada and apparently wants to get back to coaching now. they mentioned rumors about him coming to FL or OTT.

(link: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/st...anadian_hockey)
Funny that neither nor Martin are saying much. Not for nothing, but when does the World Championships end?

Old
05-04-2008, 09:35 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Funny that neither nor Martin are saying much. Not for nothing, but when does the World Championships end?
sunday, the 18th. (http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/fe...anadian_hockey)

Old
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Montsy14

You can add Paul Maurice to the list of potential candidates, he was fired by the buds today

Old
05-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
You can add Paul Maurice to the list of potential candidates, he was fired by the buds today
Please god no...

Old
05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Which also adds the Leafs as competition looking for a coach.

I'm also think Ron Wilson will be hitting the market shortly.

Quote:
But then came the playoffs and with them, some of the usual postseason difficulties. Once again, Wilson reverted to the abusive tactics that he had been told by management to forsake.

Between periods in one game, he wrote the names of Matt Carle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Milan Michalek on the board in the dressing room.

Jabbing at the board for emphasis, he said, "These are the guys that are letting us down."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8...on-in-San-Jose

Old
05-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindeadalive View Post
Which also adds the Leafs as competition looking for a coach.

I'm also think Ron Wilson will be hitting the market shortly.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8...on-in-San-Jose
LOL. Wilson cracks me up. He seems like a normal, level-headed guy most of the time, and then sometimes he can just snap. That reporter's face after he yelled," it's always f***in negative!" last week was priceless.

Closed Thread