HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Melrose coming back to coach...

Old
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
NYROrtsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
What has Renney done though. Jagr carried us to the first two playoff berths. Not Renney.

Actually more so, it was Glens dealings that brought Nylander and Straka with the great drafting that got us those first two playoff berths.

This year the Rangers caught fire and explain to me how it had to do with Tom Renney or his coaching staff.

Torts would also be a great coach, I want some one who will show some ****ing emotion when its needed. Some one who has no problem say what hes gotta say. Renney does and I cannot stand it.

Tom Renney is an amateur hour coach with bush league tactics and a coaching staff behind him that is not fit to run an AHL team let alone an NHL one.

The only reason we even one 1 game in the Pittsburgh series was because Jagr had a fire lit under his ass like Ive never seen before.

Why was Strudwick in over Malik when Backman clearly needed to be benched, and finally was. Im a huge Strudwick fan but Malik> him and I HATE malik.

Why was Hollweg back in after being a major cause in the game 3 loss.

I have never been a Tom Renney fan, I never will be and do NOT think he is qualified to be the coach of the Rangers. Melrose may not have coached in 13 years, but he has a good amount of hockey knowledge. He sees things others do not and I think thats where Renney is lacking. Renney is not a visionary.
Jeez...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
What has Renney done though. Jagr carried us to the first two playoff berths. Not Renney.
why didn't Jagr lead Washington to playoff berths then?

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM
SPG

Quote:
Ive heard it a few times now, and now Eklund is reporting its almost a guarentee.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be great to have him coach the Rangers instead of Renney?
This is the funniest freakin' thing I've ever read on this board... including Jorts' trade proposals!

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Actually more so, it was Glens dealings that brought Nylander and Straka with the great drafting that got us those first two playoff berths.

This year the Rangers caught fire and explain to me how it had to do with Tom Renney or his coaching staff.

Torts would also be a great coach, I want some one who will show some ****ing emotion when its needed. Some one who has no problem say what hes gotta say. Renney does and I cannot stand it.

Tom Renney is an amateur hour coach with bush league tactics and a coaching staff behind him that is not fit to run an AHL team let alone an NHL one.

The only reason we even one 1 game in the Pittsburgh series was because Jagr had a fire lit under his ass like Ive never seen before.

Why was Strudwick in over Malik when Backman clearly needed to be benched, and finally was. Im a huge Strudwick fan but Malik> him and I HATE malik.

I have never been a Tom Renney fan, I never will be and do NOT think he is qualified to be the coach of the Rangers. Melrose may not have coached in 13 years, but he has a good amount of hockey knowledge. He sees things others do not and I think thats where Renney is lacking. Renney is not a visionary.
There's nothing to lead me to believe Melrose would have anything near the success that Renney has had. And the numbers back that up.

Saying thing like "he has a lot of hockey knowledge" and "He sees things others do not" are vague and dubious statements. I like results.

I'll also put this to you: how does someone who "has a lot of hockey knowledge" and "sees things others do not" like you maintain Melrose does not even get a sniff at a job in 13 years?

TheHotRock

renney may not be the best coach, but he's class all the way and has done na incredible job of integrating young players into the team and implementing a system that players will stick to. he's had a huge part in developing our youth and turning the team around.

even if his idea of a motivational speech is "c'mon boys"

i still have a lot of love and respect for the guy

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
NYROrtsFan

People forget how bad things were before Renney.

Since Renney has been here, this team has ALWAYS been ready to play. Sometimes they lose or just don't play well, but it is clearly not a motivational thing. Those teams under Low and especially Trottier would just make a common fane puke because there was just such an obvious lack of trying. Renney always has them out there trying and it shows with how the team plays.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
I'd keep Renney over Melrose any day, and I'm not a Renney fan.
agreed.

Hell, id rather have Melrose Jr. coach the team than Melrose himself.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
TheGreat199

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
The only coach I would like to have is .......... john tortorella from the lightning. He could fire up this team and make these players produce more for the money they get. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI
Not the worst candidate (besides the fact that he still has a job, and the Rangers don't have an opening), but he couldn't even fire up a team that probably had as much talent as the Rangers the past 2 seasons to do anything. What would make him a cure-all here?

TheGreat199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
mstraka82

Melrose should just stay on ESPN and give his opinions, leave the coaching up to the intelligent ones

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
People forget how bad things were before Renney.

Since Renney has been here, this team has ALWAYS been ready to play. Sometimes they lose or just don't play well, but it is clearly not a motivational thing. Those teams under Low and especially Trottier would just make a common fane puke because there was just such an obvious lack of trying. Renney always has them out there trying and it shows with how the team plays.

i like renney as a coach, he is a very good coach but sometimes he seems too nice and too quiet. when drury got hit with the stick and no call was made, most coaches would have been yelling at the officials. he does not show emotion when he needs to.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
when drury got hit with the stick and no call was made, most coaches would have been yelling at the officials.
and got the call reversed?

I love it when people automatically think that yelling = good coach

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

Typical NY fan mentality. If you're not screaming and acting like a child then you don't care.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

I agree. I think that one of Renney's strengths as a coach is he never gets too high or too low. And his team's adapt that attitude.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
nickrOck

he has'nt coached in 12-13 years and his hair style has'nt been "IN" since the 70's..

no thanks..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks it would be great to have him coach the Rangers instead of Renney?
Yes, you have to be the one who thinks Melrose would be a better coach then Renney. Melrose hasn't coached in a decade and for good reason. Renney just took the Rangers to the playoffs for the third straight season and a third straight 40 win season. First time in over 35 years that has happened. Renney is not the problem, the players are the problem.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Yes, you have to be the only moron who thinks Melrose would be a better coach then Renney. Melrose hasn't coached in a decade and for good reason. Renney just took the Rangers to the playoffs for the third straight season and a third straight 40 win season. First time in over 35 years that has happened. Renney is not the problem, the players are the problem.
Jeeze take it easy. I didnt realize how many 12 year olds were on this board.

It was just a suggestion.

However that statement in bold did make me laugh. Its not the players. It was the players fault 8 years ago.

Renney will never be the man to take the Rangers past the second round no matter what players he has in front of him.

My whole point was Renney needs to go. The entire coaching staff needs to go.

Would melrose be a better option? Apparently I am the only one who thinks so, but either way as long as Tom Renney is behind the bench this team will never live up to its expectations. It will ALWAYS under-achieve.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Pizza

........this could be a long summer.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Jeeze take it easy. I didnt realize how many 12 year olds were on this board.

It was just a suggestion.

However that statement in bold did make me laugh. Its not the players. It was the players fault 8 years ago.

Renney will never be the man to take the Rangers past the second round no matter what players he has in front of him.

My whole point was Renney needs to go. The entire coaching staff needs to go.

Would melrose be a better option? Apparently I am the only one who thinks so, but either way as long as Tom Renney is behind the bench this team will never live up to its expectations. It will ALWAYS under-achieve.

You have no right to laugh at anyone after that statement. Or maybe i'm wrong and Muckler, Low & Trottier were super genius coaches that were misunderstood

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i like renney as a coach, he is a very good coach but sometimes he seems too nice and too quiet. when drury got hit with the stick and no call was made, most coaches would have been yelling at the officials. he does not show emotion when he needs to.
I've seen him get mad plenty of times, but it's more of a controlled anger. He doesn't get all animated and start jumping up and down and throwing sticks.

People said the same things about Joe Torre and Eli Manning. They were too laid back, not emotional enough. After 4 championships for Torre and 1 (and hopefully counting) for Manning, you'd think people would appreciate the fact that Renney is first and foremost a professional. He says all the right things to the media, but I seriously doubt he's the same way behind closed doors.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I've seen him get mad plenty of times, but it's more of a controlled anger. He doesn't get all animated and start jumping up and down and throwing sticks.

People said the same things about Joe Torre and Eli Manning. They were too laid back, not emotional enough. After 4 championships for Torre and 1 (and hopefully counting) for Manning, you'd think people would appreciate the fact that Renney is first and foremost a professional. He says all the right things to the media, but I seriously doubt he's the same way behind closed doors.
Not only that, Tom Coughlin had to reel-in some of this emotion before his players truly responded to him.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
NYPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
........this could be a long summer.
Agreed, and after listening to some of the stuff Melrose has said on ESPN, he obv. has something against the Blueshirts, so why would the Rangers want him as a coach? Renney has done an okay job, not the greatest but again I don't think Melrose would ever coach the Rangers, and nor would I want him to.

NYPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
As an Islanders fan, of course I dislike the Rangers greatly. That said, I think Renney is a very good coach. The Rangers would be crazy to get rid of him.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
However that statement in bold did make me laugh. Its not the players. It was the players fault 8 years ago. Renney will never be the man to take the Rangers past the second round no matter what players he has in front of him. My whole point was Renney needs to go. The entire coaching staff needs to go.
The bottom line is that this team was flawed from the beginning. We entered a season of promise with guys like Marek Malik, Thomas Pock and Jason Strudwick amongst our top seven defensemen. Scotty Bowman couldn't win with that group of stiffs. And that's not to mention that Tyutin, Girardi and Mara are no better than second pairing dmen and Marc Staal was a raw, 20 year old rookie.

So what does Sather do to improve the defense? He trades for Christian Backman, a player soundly booed and a healthy scratch in St. Louis. I don't get it. It's like Sather has a mental block against acquiring a solid defenseman from another club. The only ones we can trust are the ones we drafted or signed from junior ourselves.

Anyway getting back to my point, Renney is not the problem. The players are completely at fault. Renney didn't let in soft goals like Henrik did in Games 1 & 2 vs. Pittsburgh. He didn't take a half of a season off so he'd be fresh for the playoffs like Jagr did. He also didn't complain about losing his centerman like Jagr did. How about Renney asking the team to shoot NUMEROUS times but the team not shooting the puck and going to the net like he asked?

Basically it was the weakness of our defensemen and our inability to score on the power play that did us in. And I blame the power play on the players who play on it. The reluctance to shoot and dig for rebounds and second chances simply cannot be pinned on the coaches. That's just my take. The players were not willing to listen and this has been talked about a lot. Jagr, Shanahan and Straka wanted to do it their way and they failed.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
philbo

Quote:

Oh my god dude!

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
The bottom line is that this team was flawed from the beginning. We entered a season of promise with guys like Marek Malik, Thomas Pock and Jason Strudwick amongst our top seven defensemen. Scotty Bowman couldn't win with that group of stiffs. And that's not to mention that Tyutin, Girardi and Mara are no better than second pairing dmen and Marc Staal was a raw, 20 year old rookie.

So what does Sather do to improve the defense? He trades for Christian Backman, a player soundly booed and a healthy scratch in St. Louis. I don't get it. It's like Sather has a mental block against acquiring a solid defenseman from another club. The only ones we can trust are the ones we drafted or signed from junior ourselves.

Anyway getting back to my point, Renney is not the problem. The players are completely at fault. Renney didn't let in soft goals like Henrik did in Games 1 & 2 vs. Pittsburgh. He didn't take a half of a season off so he'd be fresh for the playoffs like Jagr did. He also didn't ***** about his centerman like Jagr did. How about Renney asking the team to shoot NUMEROUS times but the team not shooting the puck and going to the net like he asked?

Basically it was the weakness of our defensemen and our inability to score on the power play that did us in. And I blame the power play on the players who play on it. The reluctance to shoot and dig for rebounds and second chances simply cannot be pinned on the coaches. That's just my take. The players were not willing to listen and this has been talked about a lot. Jagr, Shanahan and Straka wanted to do it their way and they failed.
Maybe because they dont buy Renney's amateur hour antics?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote