HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

A bigger Ranger Rival: The Islanders or the Devils

View Poll Results: A bigger Ranger Rival: The Islanders or the Devils
The Islanders 111 62.36%
The Devils 52 29.21%
Equal 15 8.43%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
  #76
jhnyr
Registered User
 
jhnyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
The Devils are our biggest rivals only in their own minds.


QFMFT.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
  #77
Blueshirt Brawler
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Brawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Yonkers, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
I'm really surprised at the results of this poll. The Islanders have been so bad for so long I really don't consider them one of our main rivals because they never really challenge for a mid level playoff spot. They basically play to gain that 8th seed and go out in the first round over the last 6/7 years. I fail to see how that is our main rival.
The Devils and the Flyers are the teams we are in more competition with these days. I consider the Devils our main rivals for that reason.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
  #78
otterulz
 
otterulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Flushing
Country: South Korea
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannyNYR View Post
Speaking of rivalries... I got this email from one of my so-called friends. He's a debbies fan, and had been taunting me non-stop after the Rangers were eliminated. I know, big surprise coming from a debbies fan.

In any case, I told him all his ****talking is moot, since the debbies got knocked out in the first round. And his emails only matter if he had been in the second round -- ergo, he must be a Pens fan now, and congrats on picking a good team finally.

Here's his response. Of course, it's rife with living-in-the-past--ness. Help me amass such a good response, the little asshat thinks twice before hitting reply. I want to bury the ****er.
All you have to do is tell him that no matter how many Stanley Cups the Devils win from now on, no one will know and no one will care.

otterulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
  #79
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
I'm really surprised at the results of this poll. The Islanders have been so bad for so long I really don't consider them one of our main rivals because they never really challenge for a mid level playoff spot. They basically play to gain that 8th seed and go out in the first round over the last 6/7 years. I fail to see how that is our main rival.
The Devils and the Flyers are the teams we are in more competition with these days. I consider the Devils our main rivals for that reason.
Exactly how i feel. The Isles have been so bad while the Devs have been one of the leagues best. Flyers had a blip last year but they have a solid nucleus of young players.

Right now I consider the Penguins more of a rivalry than the Isles, we've never beaten them in the playoffs have we?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
  #80
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Having not been able to follow the Rangers through the 80's, i can't say that dislike them more then the Devils.

For me, honestly because i was old enough to be a die hard Rangers fan in the 90's, i dislike the Devils more.

1-Devils
2-Flyers
3-Penguins
4-Islanders

It would be easier to dislike the Islanders more if they were even a factor, but they aren't, and haven't been for along time.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
  #81
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,484
vCash: 500
Anyone who votes Devils, have you been to a Rangers/Islanders game? That may change your mind a bit .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:55 PM
  #82
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Anyone who votes Devils, have you been to a Rangers/Islanders game? That may change your mind a bit .
I've been to many over the last 3 decades. In the 80's & early 90's NYR/NYI games were great, but that changed to NYR/NJD. As the teams change so does my hatred

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
  #83
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
my order

1- islanders - just an all around hate, everyone and everything

2- devils- i hate there fans more and but the only part of the team i really hate is brodeur.
Exactly

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
  #84
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Anyone who votes Devils, have you been to a Rangers/Islanders game? That may change your mind a bit .
Tons.

But what goes on at those games are fans vs. fans.

The Islanders TEAM is a non-factor.

The Devils are always a factor. Always competitive. Always a threat.

The Islanders are always a fringe 8th seed team.


I can't stand the Islanders.

But i can't stand the Devils more.

The Flyers are always dirty.

The Penguins are the spoiled brat that deserves nothing, yet gets handed everything on a silver platter.

The Islanders are a shell, a shadow of what they once were. They don't scare me when we play them. While the Devils, Flyers, and Penguins are always a threat now.

Actually, i feel pitty for the Islanders. When our rivals are competitive it makes the season more fun. The Islanders are a mess.... but don't get me wrong, i still can't stand them.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:00 PM
  #85
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,266
vCash: 500
From what I see it has to be the Devils. I was at an early season Devils vs Islanders game at The Rock and I saw about 4 guys, 2 in their 20's and 2 in their 50's wearing Rangers stuff and rooting hard for the Islanders. Mind you it was early in the season so you can't say they were rooting for NYI because of positioning in the standings.

I am sure the Rangers fans in Long Island hate the Isles more, but most Rangers fans that I come into contact with in NJ hate the Devs more than any team in the league.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
  #86
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,041
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea i noticed that too. and islander fans
A few Islanders fans voted for them, but many more Rangers fans voted for the Islanders. I think the Devils vote is about at least 50% Devils fans voting in it.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
  #87
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,266
vCash: 500
Also, I think there is a NJD/NYI/Pitt vs NYR/Philly thing going on lately with the fanbases.


Last edited by Devils Dominion: 05-07-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
  #88
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
A few Islanders fans voted for them, but many more Rangers fans voted for the Islanders. I think the Devils vote is about at least 50% Devils fans voting in it.
Question for you, which board do you spend more time in, the Devils or Isles?

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
  #89
Blueshirt Brawler
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Brawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Yonkers, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
As a Long Island grown as I was I have always hated the Islanders more but as far as a rivalry I think the Devils are the team that poses the biggest threat in the area to us. I don't care how many times the Islanders beat us in the regular season, they cannot even make it to the playoffs. It's the Devils, then the Flyers who are our biggest rivals right now. And I count out the Pens because they obviously own us. They cannot be considered a rival when we are 0 for 4 against them in the playoffs. The bottom line to me is the postseason because we all know the regular season means nothing once April rolls around.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
  #90
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
As a Long Island grown as I was I have always hated the Islanders more but as far as a rivalry I think the Devils are the team that poses the biggest threat in the area to us. I don't care how many times the Islanders beat us in the regular season, they cannot even make it to the playoffs. It's the Devils, then the Flyers who are our biggest rivals right now. And I count out the Pens because they obviously own us. They cannot be considered a rival when we are 0 for 4 against them in the playoffs. The bottom line to me is the postseason because we all know the regular season means nothing once April rolls around.
Very good points. Geography plays a part for sure, but playoff history plays a bigger part in my opinion.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
  #91
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,899
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
Question for you, which board do you spend more time in, the Devils or Isles?
ever thought its because you guys over there are just to funny, maybe he visits the devils board because you guys are that obsessed with all things to do with the rangers he just has to go there for the entertainment.

you guys so desperately want to be our main rivals but no amount of polls on a hockey forum is going to make that happen. sorry

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:52 PM
  #92
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conte's Critic
Country: United States
Posts: 17,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
ever thought its because you guys over there are just to funny, maybe he visits the devils board because you guys are that obsessed with all things to do with the rangers he just has to go there for the entertainment.

you guys so desperately want to be our main rivals but no amount of polls on a hockey forum is going to make that happen. sorry
The Rangers team, organization & fans are our most hated team for sure, hands down. I'm not sure that most Devils fans want to be as hated by your fanbase.
I'm not sure where you all are getting that.

However if you think that the Devils are not the most hated or 2nd most hated team by the majority of Rangers fans you are mistaken. The teams play about 7 miles a part, have played in 5 playoff series in the last 15 or so seasons, the Devils had that long unbeaten streak vs the Rangers too. Just look at the tone of the posts on the Devils on this board by Rangers fans, the hatred is obvious.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
  #93
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,899
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
The Rangers team, organization & fans are our most hated team for sure, hands down. I'm not sure that most Devils fans want to be as hated by your fanbase.
I'm not sure where you all are getting that.

However if you think that the Devils are not the most hated or 2nd most hated team by the majority of Rangers fans you are mistaken. The teams play about 7 miles a part, have played in 5 playoff series in the last 15 or so seasons, the Devils had that long unbeaten streak vs the Rangers too. Just look at the tone of the posts on the Devils on this board by Rangers fans, the hatred is obvious.

well the first part of your reply about your not sure what i am getting at, the fact that this thread was started by a devils fan on a rangers board, plus he isn't the first.

where did i say that the devils were not one of our most hated rivals? in fact if you would have read the whole thread you'll see i put the devils as my 2nd most hated team, islanders 1st.

my main reason for my dislike is the devils fans not the team, the only player i hate on your team is brodeur that should tell you everything you need to know. its similar to my dislike for the pens in which i think the fans are a bit to cocky but the only player i hate is crosby.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
  #94
Loto68
Registered User
 
Loto68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Devils fans, I don't even Rank your team as my second most hated. Infact there are times when I wonder if I hate the Isles or the Flyers more. But as is stands, your team is a distant third.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:16 PM
  #95
HenriksBetter
 
HenriksBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
The Devils are now the Rangers biggest rival IMO. Maybe i am biased because i grew up and still live in NJ, but over the past 14 seasons Rangers/Devils have been the game to be at. The Rangers/Isles rivalry has cooled off a bit since the late 80's/early 90's. But a playoff matchup could fan those flames into an inferno again.

I will always have more hatred for the Devils. When you live in NW NJ, where there aren't that many Rangers fans and you are surrounded by Devils fans it is easy to hate that team and their fans. I could care less if the Rangers lost every game to the Islanders as long as they beat the Devils every game. I am sure it would be totally different for me if i lived on LI.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
  #96
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,279
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
It all depends on your own hockey situation. During the 90's, when the Flyers had Lindros in his prime, I hate the orange like nothing you could believe.... in fact, when the Rangers acquired him I took a break from hockey. I loathed him. It was a shot to the face of the rivalry to sign that puke.

Now, it's the Devils for me. The Isles sucked after the all-star break, and we played the Devils in the first round, how can you not hate the Devils more at this point? Half their board turned into Penguins avatars when they lost to us... the hatred is palpable.

But it changes with time, if we play an epic series against the Isles and we are beaten in seven games off a cheap play that should have been called, the Isles will inhabit the throne... it's an ever changing soup of rivalry.

__________________


Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.