HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How much $ will Hossa get!

Old
05-07-2008, 01:17 PM
anarmandaleb

vCash: 500
I honestly didn't want Hossa at the deadline. I just don't think he's worth the cap space he'd take up. Plus, before this year he was known as a playoff no-show. I really don't think we should go for him this year, or ever.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
ari1160

i dont see hossa signing anything below 7.5 at least. most likely i think he's going to get around 8-9 million a year with the cap going up again.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
le_sean

I could see the Sharks dumping Marleau and trying to sign Hossa. But I don't know if that allows them to keep Campbell, who I think they need more.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

Did anyone notice that Rolston is already 35, born the same month and year as Kovalev (Rolston is 3 days older)? Yet some of the same fans who are hot for Rolston don't want to re-sign Kovalev next year. Go figure.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Is Gainey willing to give it to him, though?
We loose Ryder, Smole, and we lost Huet. So that frees up cap space. We COULD afford him, altho we have to take into account streit, Andrei (offered 4million by Russia so we have to match that or convince him the grass is greener over here), and with that it would be slim pickings, let alone gunning for a tier 2 center. ALL IF we DON'T sign Brunnstrom.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
LV Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I honestly didn't want Hossa at the deadline. I just don't think he's worth the cap space he'd take up. Plus, before this year he was known as a playoff no-show. I really don't think we should go for him this year, or ever.
The talk of Hossa not being a playoff performer is a bit false in my opinion. All those years the sens lost to the leafs Hossa was their best player it just didn't always translate to the score sheet and Belfour was awesome in those series. The year the sens made it to the conference final Hossa had 16 points in 18 games. Alfredsson had 8 points that same year. He's doing well again this year.

As for the cap space issue, I really doubt AK will get 4 mil a year, if that happens what the hell are Plekanec, Higgins and SK going to sign for down the road? Gainey has done very well signing the young guys at good prices and managing his cap. He won't ruin that job by signing AK at an overinflated price because the big bad Russians are knocking at the door. Komisarek might get 4 mil per season, but AK hasn't earned that just yet.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
imnothere

If Dany the diver got 10 millions, Hossa will surely get it too.

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
he is a greedy SOB, he will take as much as he can get, and some teams will be willing to ofer more than he is worth. i say he does not sign for any less thant 7million

In his position, if you're not a greedy SOB you're a freakin' idiot. Why should you get paid less than others? You select out of the best offers and pick the one you prefer. EVERY player does that. A hometown discount is at MOST 1 Mil per year. But usually in the area of 250-500k. Its the same as every job. In my current job, I know that I could get more taking my skills somewhere else...but doing that isn't worth a 5-7% increase...but if someone offers me a significantly higher amount, I'm gone unless they'll match it. Call me a greedy SOB, but as far as I'm concerned loyalty is rewarded and if it isn't then you owe nothing to those you were loyal to in the first place.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillainy View Post
If Dany the diver got 10 millions, Hossa will surely get it too.
For 1 year, yes. Not for the duration of the contract.

I would not be suprise to see him sign for 8 to 8.5mil$ on a 6 to 8 years contract. I do believe we will go toe to toe vs any team to get him. Weither we will fall short or not is another question.

Let's face it, when Kovalev will leave in a year, we will need a replacement. Yes the brothers a good/great but we will need more than those two. With teams in the east with all the offensive power they have, we will need to have our own. Maybe Kovalev will stay a few more years but he won't be the same he is/was. Koivu is not getting younger or better. Hossa will ease the transition not to mention make us a cup contender starting next year. Yes a top big size center (lecavalier) is a dream but there is none this year, maybe next year maybe for a few more years.

If Hossa is willing to sign with us, we have to take our chance and take him.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post

I would not be suprise to see him sign for 8 to 8.5mil$ on a 6 to 8 years contract. I do believe we will go toe to toe vs any team to get him. Weither we will fall short or not is another question.

Let's face it, when Kovalev will leave in a year, we will need a replacement. Yes the brothers a good/great but we will need more than those two. With teams in the east with all the offensive power they have, we will need to have our own. Maybe Kovalev will stay a few more years but he won't be the same he is/was. Koivu is not getting younger or better. Hossa will ease the transition not to mention make us a cup contender starting next year. Yes a top big size center (lecavalier) is a dream but there is none this year, maybe next year maybe for a few more years.

Agreed. Hossa is one player I don't mind paying 7+ million. Because he is a pretty complete package (size, d-awarenesse, scoring, youth, etc..)

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

You his agent?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:

I think Kovy will probably retire a Hab...but that's just my hope/view. As for Hossa, I would give him a Briere type of contract offer without flinching.

As far as no big 1st line centre not being available, with Marleau's playoff chokefest and poor regular season performance, he's probably available at the price of a good prospect/1st rounder in this draft.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post

You his agent?
Learn to read!

Old
05-07-2008, 04:57 PM

It doesn't really matter anymore how much he's going to get for 1 season. You have to look at the cap hit these days since this is what is the most important.

My guess for Hossa is that he will sign a 6 years deal with a 7m cap hit. Something similar to what Briere got except with a few less years but slightly more $$$.

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I think Kovy will probably retire a Hab...but that's just my hope/view. As for Hossa, I would give him a Briere type of contract offer without flinching.

As far as no big 1st line centre not being available, with Marleau's playoff chokefest and poor regular season performance, he's probably available at the price of a good prospect/1st rounder in this draft.

Kovy might stay, great if he does. But Hossa would still be a nice replacement/transition player if Kovy decide to leave or whatever.

If you can get Marleau for that, you obviously do it. I was more talking for UFA. The trading market is always a possibilitiy.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Learn to read!
Learn to not be so hypothetical. You sure he wont be as good as he is now?

I'm just not a fan of throwing 8-9M cap hit at a single player, unless that player was Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Brodeur(maybe Price down the road?).

We still have to re-sign Plekanec, Higgins & Komisarek after next season. Sergei/Price the season after. Do we have the space to add someone like Hossa without subtracting from our core? I happen to like the core. Thats me though.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:

Agreed. People are way too picky. Hossa is a very good player with no major defects, he's been very consistent most of his career, and he's only entering his prime. People talk about trading for another superstar, but signing UFA is already difficult enough, and trading is even worst. I strongly support and look forward to Gainey making him a very competitive offer.

As for Lecavalier, we could still get him by not signing Koivu and/or Kovalev back when their contracts expire. Not saying this should happen, but the possibility is there.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Learn to not be so hypothetical. You sure he wont be as good as he is now?

I'm just not a fan of throwing 8-9M cap hit at a single player, unless that player was Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Brodeur(maybe Price down the road?).

We still have to re-sign Plekanec, Higgins & Komisarek after next season. Sergei/Price the season after. Do we have the space to add someone like Hossa without subtracting from our core? I happen to like the core. Thats me though.

Usually when a players start hitting 36, 37, 38 years old no they are not the same they were when 25 or 30 yo. He will still be useful, still a good player but maybe/probably not a player to carry our team or be our go-to-guy. Same goes for Koivu and we saw that this year for the first time.
Having a Hossa type player in his prime would be key into building a cup contender.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Starting bid will probably be 7 Mil, but it will most likely go over 8.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Bullsmith

Sadly, he'll get 8 years at 7.2 per, with 10 up front for the first seasons and only 5 by the end.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Bermy

He'll probably be overpaid

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Usually when a players start hitting 36, 37, 38 years old no they are not the same they were when 25 or 30 yo. He will still be useful, still a good player but maybe/probably not a player to carry our team or be our go-to-guy. Same goes for Koivu and we saw that this year for the first time.
Having a Hossa type player in his prime would be key into building a cup contender.
Usually, they dont have their 2nd best season in their career at 34-35 either.
Usually, at 37, players dont score 48Goals and 94pts(Selanne)

Bottom line is, after this season, there's no real reason for one to think Kovalev is finished.

The key to winning the cup is especially not having ONE guy to carry the team. We are supposed to have the goalie in place, our defense should be set although i would definitely like Gainey to get Campbell, adding Hossa would be great, but id prefer to get Campbell and Rolston.
Adding those 2 will make our team much more complete than adding Hossa IMO.

Kovalev and Koivu both said they wanted to be part of history in MTL, and after seeing all the magic here during the post season, their priority will be to resign here unless something happens.

Id honestly prefer to give 6-6.5M to Campbell and 3M to Rolston than 8 or 9M to Hossa.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote