HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney: 5 players from Hartford could compete for a job next year...

Old
05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Renney: 5 players from Hartford could compete for a job next year...

From sam's blog http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...oken-promises/
Quote:
As for the next generation of Blueshirts, I asked Renney how many players out of Hartford he thought could compete for a job next year.

The coach said five, although he wouldn’t specify who. I would have to assume one is Lauri Korpikoski, who introduced himself to the NHL with flair on Sunday. But don’t count on Bobby Sanguinetti. Renney wouldn’t rule the former No. 1 draft pick, but he did say the team would more likely err on the side of giving Sanguinetti another year of seasoning.
Obviously Korpi is 1 who would be the other assuming Sam is correct and Renney wasn't including Sangs amongst the 5?

My guesses are, Korpi, Anisimov, Moore, Baranka, Bourret or Jessiman? the last 2 hard to say...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
hlundqvist30*

Korpedo, Baranka, Sanguinetti, Byers, and Jessiman is my guess.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Cherepanisimov

probably korpeeeeeeeeeedo, byers, AA, baranka, hutch
but now that i think about it bourret, jessiman, moore, potter, and parenteau(re-sign him) should get looks too.even though moore sucks.

how can you not think the best d-man in the AHL will not get a shot with malik, mara, and rozy hopefully gone, sangs not ready, and sauer hurt, and backman and strudwick sucking

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Fletch

I think...

that's about consistent with what we hear every year. Maybe it was last year when he talked about four or five guys ready for a call-up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:25 PM
squishy

Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter, Baranka.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Three definitely are:

Korpikoski
Anisimov
Potter

And I'm going to venture a guess that one of Wiikman and LeNeveu are one of the other two.

Because remember, the backup role is not set in stone. Valiquette is not a definite.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Three definitely are:

Korpikoski
Anisimov
Potter

And I'm going to venture a guess that one of Wiikman and LeNeveu are one of the other two.

Because remember, the backup role is not set in stone. Valiquette is not a definite.
Byers HAS to be on that definite list as well... I think the other is Baranka...

Squishy, you don't think Ani is ready?

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Korpikoski Potter Anisimov Byers and Pock

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Byers HAS to be on that definite list as well... I think the other is Baranka...
I don't think Byers is going to be much of an impact player in the NHL...

However, i believe you are right.

Korpikoski
Anisimov
Potter
Byers
and one of Wiikman or LeNeveu

Baranka is a really good one. But he has had a history of injury. If he can stay healthy, and play long enough to make a case for himself, then he will get a shot. He did get into an NHL game this year.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Korpedo, AA, Byers, Baranka and Potter. I'd say Hutchinson, but they've made no attempt to try and resign him as far as I know.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I don't think Byers is going to be much of an impact player in the NHL...

However, i believe you are right.

Korpikoski
Anisimov
Potter
Byers
and one of Wiikman or LeNeveu

Baranka is a really good one. But he has had a history of injury. If he can stay healthy, and play long enough to make a case for himself, then he will get a shot. He did get into an NHL game this year.
He's AT LEAST a replacement for Hollweg... People say that Bourret will be to us like Raffi Torres is to the Oil... I think if anybody, Dane is that Raffi clone...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
how can you not think the best d-man in the AHL will not get a shot with malik, mara, and rozy hopefully gone, sangs not ready, and sauer hurt, and backman and strudwick sucking
Because he isn't under contract and may very well sign with another team. If we do resign him, I would give him a good shot to make the team next year, but I don't think he is the 1 of the 5 Renney had in mind.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
He's AT LEAST a replacement for Hollweg... People say that Bourret will be to us like Raffi Torres is to the Oil... I think if anybody, Dane is that Raffi clone...
I agree he can be a 4th liner.

Doesn't take much for these kids to be better than Hollweg out there on the ice.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that's about consistent with what we hear every year. Maybe it was last year when he talked about four or five guys ready for a call-up.
Dubinsky
Dawes
Staal
Callahan

All played their rookie seasons this year.

Girardi was practically a rook. Although not officially.

So, he was pretty much right.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
xander

Quote:

He probably will get a look, but we have to remember that Anisimov is still a very young player. And, while he had a very good year, .5 PPG is not exactly dominating. They're very nice numbers for a 19 year old, but they are not indicative that he is ready to make the next step out of camp. He'll probably get a look, but 'ready' is a strong word to use.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Hutchinson can't play in the NHL

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Pizza

I'm with Squishy here.

I'd agree that Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter, Baranka are the closest to being NHL ready.

Peoples expectations about Sangs seem to be driven by the howling need we have for a PP QB.

Hopefully Jessiman accounts well for himself again in camp. I look at next year as another opportunity for him to show improvement and maybe get a callup at some point.

Bourrett has plummeted, IMO.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm with Squishy here.

I'd agree that Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter, Baranka are the closest to being NHL ready.

Peoples expectations about Sangs seem to be driven by the howling need we have for a PP QB.

Hopefully Jessiman accounts well for himself again in camp. I look at next year as another opportunity for him to show improvement and maybe get a callup at some point.

Bourrett has plummeted, IMO.
Agree with this. I think Renney and management probably want Anisimov to have more than just the one year of N. American play to become acclimated. Moore showed he is close in getting called up and his play in Hartford. As did Korpikoski, who I believe is the most ready. Byers definitely offers up a unique opportunity with his size. He would definitely be an improvement over Hollweg in my opinion. For Hartford observers, did Byers get a substantial play on the PP? And if so, was he parked in front?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:13 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter, Baranka.
Agreed Squish.

Don't get me wrong, I think that AA has perhaps the best upside of them all, but the Rangers have shown good patience with their prospects - and AA was the youngest player in the AHL last year. Also, precisely BECAUSE he projects as a 2nd line center with 1st line upside, they'll probably give him the most time in the minors to learn to dominate, whereas others can be called up to play 4th line minutes without becoming ppg players in the A.

The five Squishy named are the ones I think that Renney thinks might make the team out of camp. Sangs and AA, on the other hand, could wind up playing a bigger role by the end of the year. I just don't see them starting with the team out of camp.

Jessiman is the wild card. He's shown development. He's been incredibly streaky. Is he learning to be a consistently dominant big man? Or is he going to be outside hockey in 2010? I think he's got a shot to make the club too, but since the thread topic is who RENNEY thinks could compete, given the uncertainty that still surrounds him, I don't think he'd be one of the first 5 that Tom would name.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Agree with this. I think Renney and management probably want Anisimov to have more than just the one year of N. American play to become acclimated. Moore showed he is close in getting called up and his play in Hartford. As did Korpikoski, who I believe is the most ready. Byers definitely offers up a unique opportunity with his size. He would definitely be an improvement over Hollweg in my opinion. For Hartford observers, did Byers get a substantial play on the PP? And if so, was he parked in front?
I'll defer to Squish on this one, but in the games I saw the answer was yes. He is a big strong forward, who isn't incredibly skilled, but has good hands and is tenacious - and he wound up using those skills in the crease on the PP in HFD at least in the second half.

Having said that, I certainly don't see him playing that role with the Rangers in 2008.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:30 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Anisimov
Hutchinson
Korpedo
Wiikman
Potter

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Celestial Black

AA, Korp, and Sangs would be my guess.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
True Blue

I would think that the choice would realistically be two players, three at the most. The two that I think would be the most realistic would be Byers and one of either Baranka or Sauer. The third would be Korpikoski.

I would like to see the trend of adding one of the younger defensemen to the core of Staal, Girardi & Tyutin. If it is not Baranka's time next year, then I don't know when it will be. However, he would have to be better than Saur and both would have to show enough in camp to show that they are good enough.

Byers is the next choice, especially if he can get somewhat bigger. He showed enough of skill for what will be his role, a bottom-six forward. Byers becomes more of a choice if Hollweg is not around. Byers can be a young Holstrom if all things broke right. Except he has more of mean streak. If he gains more size, he can be a realistic choice for the bottom two lines.

Korpikoski could be a choice also. However, I think that he would be much more better off working on his offensive game in Hartford for another year or so. If he can show enough improvement, he could be a mid-year call up.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
squishy

Quote:
I don't. He's not a long way off, but baring significant off-season development, he'll spend some more time in Hartford next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think that AA has perhaps the best upside of them all, but the Rangers have shown good patience with their prospects - and AA was the youngest player in the AHL last year. Also, precisely BECAUSE he projects as a 2nd line center with 1st line upside, they'll probably give him the most time in the minors to learn to dominate, whereas others can be called up to play 4th line minutes without becoming ppg players in the A.
I agree that he probably has the most upside of anyone in Hartford. And Brooklyn's right, the Rangers have shown great patience with their prospects, and given his age, and the fact that the Ranger are set for centers through at least the end of the year, there's absolutely no reason not to be. He came a long way this season in terms for adapting to the North American game, and, apart from a bit of a slump in December, it was very steady, focused progress... like a development plan was mapped out at the start of the season and he's systematically worked through the the items on the list. Now it's a matter of putting it all together, playing with confidence, and being a difference maker on the team. Because although he spent most of the season centering the second line in Hartford, and got 2nd power play unit time, he wasn't really one of the go-to guys on the team (not that he should be expected to, as a rookie and the youngest player in the league). Next season he'll be looked at to take on an expanded role, play in all situations, and take control of things more when he's on the ice. To dominate, as Brooklyn said, though I don't think he needs to be a PPG player to do that. It's more about attitude and confidence.

While we're on the topic of players who aren't ready... Wiikman isn't ready. If Valiquette were not to be re-signed (I have no doubt he will be) LeNeveu would be first in line to take his spot right now. He's far more polished and mature. Wiikman is very talented, but very raw. He needs to play, not sit on the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Byers definitely offers up a unique opportunity with his size. He would definitely be an improvement over Hollweg in my opinion. For Hartford observers, did Byers get a substantial play on the PP? And if so, was he parked in front?
Yes, and yes. Ten of his 23 goals came on the power play, and he was third on the team in PP goals behind Parenteau (15) and Hutch (13). And keep in mind the Pack had the second best PP in the AHL. I can't pretend that I remember every one of his goals, but to be totally honest, I can't remember a single one that wasn't scored off either a deflection or rebound from right in front of the net. That's his bread and butter. For what it's worth, I think everyone here underrates him.

Old
05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I would like to see the trend of adding one of the younger defensemen to the core of Staal, Girardi & Tyutin. If it is not Baranka's time next year, then I don't know when it will be. However, he would have to be better than Saur and both would have to show enough in camp to show that they are good enough.
It won't be between Baranka and Sauer, it'll be between Baranka and Potter. Even if Sauer wasn't going to be coming off major knee surgery this summer, he was looking at at least part of another season in Hartford. Both Potter and Baranka are farther along. Depending on who the Rangers sign over the summer, Potter may have the edge simply by virtue of the fact he's a righty shot.