HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Anyone else hearing negative things on Tavares?

Old
05-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Anyone else hearing negative things on Tavares?

I'm not talking on the ice, it's easy to pick out flaws in players games. I'm talking off the ice. The news that came out today of him firing his agent didn't surprise me at all, and neither did the follow up to that which was his mother is essentially going to be in charge now. A friend of mine who is VERY connected, espically to all things CHL, told me at a Jays game a few weeks back that Tavares is going to be a problem much the same way Lindros was in Philly. He basically said that his mother is a total head case, and that Tavares doesn't come off as a very good kid. Again, these aren't my words, but a friend of mine who is in the know. Anyone else hearing negative stuff like this about JT?

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Moseph

A family member of mine used to play for the Generals. They went golfing one time with Tavares and he had nothing but good things to say about him, mind you this was at least a year ago.

Moseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:46 AM
the_speedster

I heard he leaves the toilet seat up

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:48 AM
backs4mvp

Wasn't Lindros complaining since he was about 14?

Ovechkin fired his agent, Momma Ovechkin took over and he got a deal signed for 13 years, she saved him 6.2mil. Is it 5% to the agent?

If you have a very close family member who knows about the stuff.. why not let them do the agents work and save money?

http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/Bre.../article/98344

He has an edorsement deal aparently with Reebok, set up by his family, his agent must be pissed now.

Last edited by backs4mvp: 05-07-2008 at 12:55 AM.
backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
LeftCoast

It's not like an entry level contract is difficult to negotiate. They should just get Phoenix to fax over Kyle Turris's contract and do a search and replace.

s\Kyle Turris\John Tavares\g

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

I don't think so. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders during interviews, and has already stated that he wouldn't pull a stunt like Lindros did in Quebec.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 02:02 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I don't think so. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders during interviews, and has already stated that he wouldn't pull a stunt like Lindros did in Quebec.
and lemieux did in pittburgh.. and marios was straight up about money lets not forget

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:10 AM
CanadaWinsAgain

How wealthy is Tavares' family?

CanadaWinsAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:00 AM
HFNHL Canadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
and lemieux did in pittburgh.. and marios was straight up about money lets not forget
I think karma got them both back pretty good...

HFNHL Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Leafs_Fan_93

'I'm not acting as his agent'

Quote:
But Barbara Tavares told Sportsnet that the relationship with Deasley ended after they were informed that Deasley no longer worked for Siskinds Sports Management. A Siskinds spokesperson confirmed Deasley was no longer employed by the agency.
It looks like Tavares' mother is not his agent.

Leafs_Fan_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:29 AM
The Scouting Report

If anything its the other way around. Deasley for lack of a better word is a complete idiot. How Tavares stayed with him for four years is mind boggling, I don't think I could spend 10 minutes in a room with that guy.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaWinsAgain View Post
How wealthy is Tavares' family?
When you live in Oakville your family is going to be pretty wealthy at the least

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
When you live in Oakville your family is going to be pretty wealthy at the least
Not really... Oakville is a small notch above Burlington(When it comes to land value), but it still has just as much subsidized housing.

But in Tavares' case.. ya, pretty wealthy, but I doubt they're living along the lake, where housing costs between 2-15(+)mil.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Not really... Oakville is a small notch above Burlington(When it comes to land value), but it still has just as much subsidized housing.

But in Tavares' case.. ya, pretty wealthy, but I doubt they're living along the lake, where housing costs between 2-15(+)mil.
Ive been down Lakeshore road in Oakville several times and seen some of the subdivisions off of Lakeshore road and its just unbelievable how big some of the houses are and what kind of cars are sitting in their driveways. But in all fairness really you know that the Tavares family has to have a pretty decent fortune to be able to live in Oakville. Oakville is far from being cheap in the real estate business.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know guys. Obviously nobody else is hearing these things, but at the same time I trust my guy who is likely more connected then any of you....hope nobody is offended by that, it's just he's extremely connected in the CHL. I know Ovechkin got rid of his agent, and an entry level deal isn't exactly hard to do. But at the same time it's just odd that I hear this guy tell me this about a month ago, and then this news comes out, pretty much as he expected (he didn't call that THIS was going to happen, but that JT's mom would be a problem).

I guess we could all just sum it up to if you guys trust me (and you should because if I wanted to start rumours I would come up with a helluva lot better one then this!), it's something to watch for down the road.

Old
05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs_Fan_93 View Post
'I'm not acting as his agent'

It looks like Tavares' mother is not his agent.
That's what Jeff Marek was speculating yesterday on HNIC radio, I should have been more clear about that in the OP that it was speculation and not fact. Thanks for clearing that up dude!