HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Colonial Blue

vCash: 500
Goaltending

Very simple question, what do the Blues do in goal next season? Is Ozzie likely to be back or will Larry Pleau look for someone on the market. There are a lot of intriguing names that could be had in net for next season. Patrick Lalime could be had for lower value but his performance in Game 7 this year was not encouraging. Goalies such as Johan Hedberg, Byron Dafoe, Felix Potvin, or Garth Snow could all be signed for cheap but they all have their own drawbacks. Maybe the Blues could go for another team's backup such as Manny Fernandez, Martin Gerber, or whoever the odd man out is in Buffalo's three headed goalie monster (Martin Biron, Mikka Noronen, Ryan Miller). Any thoughts?

Old
05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
rev

if they can swing a cheap deal for one of those young guys then i say go for it.. but if you cant.. i say just go with sanford and divis.. and lets find out if they are the real deal or not.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:49 PM
guitaraholic*

If the Blues decide to go with Sanford and Divis we can pretty much write off yet another year as being a wash. They're not going to backstop a team to a Cup in their first year as NHL starters. I don't want to be a naysayer but again if you're going to ice a team with 9 million dollar players on it then you need to give them something beyond guys with very limited NHL experience.
While I have suggested Gerber I am aware that he too has proven nothing of substance at the NHL level but he is ahead of Sanford easilly and ahead of Divis as well. I have nothing against either Sanford or Divis, obviously, but I do have something against simply going with these two guys in net and hoping they pan out. This is where Pleau needs to develop a "vision thing" that will help him determine a plan of attack that we haven't thought of. At the risk of sounding like one of the less stable posters over at the board from hell, Pleau could use a bit of "creativity" in his approach to solving this year's goaltending dilemma.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:53 PM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
If the Blues decide to go with Sanford and Divis we can pretty much write off yet another year as being a wash. They're not going to backstop a team to a Cup in their first year as NHL starters. I don't want to be a naysayer but again if you're going to ice a team with 9 million dollar players on it then you need to give them something beyond guys with very limited NHL experience.
While I have suggested Gerber I am aware that he too has proven nothing of substance at the NHL level but he is ahead of Sanford easilly and ahead of Divis as well. I have nothing against either Sanford or Divis, obviously, but I do have something against simply going with these two guys in net and hoping they pan out. This is where Pleau needs to develop a "vision thing" that will help him determine a plan of attack that we haven't thought of. At the risk of sounding like one of the less stable posters over at the board from hell, Pleau could use a bit of "creativity" in his approach to solving this year's goaltending dilemma.
well, the reason i suggest that is because i am sort of tired of trying to patch together a competitive team. i do not have any faith they can get enough parts in here to make the team cup competitive; so, therefore, i say, lets see what we have in sanford.

Old
05-21-2004, 03:56 PM

For next season what you'll have in Sanford is a bona fide NHL backup provided he plays to his abilities.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Osgood/Divis combo next season in StL with Sanford in Worcester...

Old
05-21-2004, 04:03 PM
guitaraholic*

I have no doubts that Divis is a bona fide NHL backup, and a capable one at that. Soooooo, that gets us halfway there. Osgood/Divis strikes fear into the heart of no opposing team, however, and the upside on Osgood has been revealed already, it's not that high and not getting higher. Hence the idea that you'd find a guy like Gerber who may still turn out to be a gem in the rough, like the way Kipper was had relatively cheaply not long ago.

Guess what I'm saying is: Osgood, while competent, can and should be improved upon. If we're going to go with unproven guys in net, I'd rather it be a guy like Gerber as opposed to a guy like Divis. Just my opinion.

Closed Thread