HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Battle Of The Bulge" Hf Habs Board Off Season Fitness and Well Being Competition

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyChick87 View Post
COuld be a lot of water weight...it tends to happen when folks are severely overweight
i am severely overweight and worked out (mostly cardio) 6 days a week, plus had a very well balanced diet given to me by a nutritionist.

i did it for 9 weeks and still only lost 34lbs

It is very unhealthy to lose so much weight so fast.

Old
05-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
i am severely overweight and worked out (mostly cardio) 6 days a week, plus had a very well balanced diet given to me by a nutritionist.

i did it for 9 weeks and still only lost 34lbs

It is very unhealthy to lose so much weight so fast.
When you lose weight too fast, your metabolism slows down as well.... This means that as soon as you go back to a normal diet yoiu will rapidly put on much of the weight that you have lost. Doctors really don't recommend more than 3-4lbs per week.

Old
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Penalty Killer

It's not like I starved myself or did anything kooky. And I'm not "on a diet", I'll be eating this way for as long as I have the choice. I just started eating more fruits and veggies and less fat and sugar. Eat more spread out through the day, rather than concentrate at mealtimes (which helps build metabolism, btw). Stay away from carbs if I'm not going to be active, load up on them if I am going to be. Stuff like that.

Like I said, I didn't do this just to lose weight, and I was surprised when it came off so fast, but I sure don't feel less healthy than a couple months ago....

Old
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Excellent idea for a thread, too bad it wasn't here last year when I was trying to lose weight.

Talking from experience I know how hard it is. But I also know that the end results are more than worth all the hard work involved.

Also once you have hit your goal try to continue the healthy eating habits you have developed. I've seen too many people hit their goals, only to fall back on their old habits and put back on more weight than they originally lost.

Good luck to all of you.

Old
05-08-2008, 02:44 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
When you lose weight too fast, your metabolism slows down as well.... This means that as soon as you go back to a normal diet yoiu will rapidly put on much of the weight that you have lost. Doctors really don't recommend more than 3-4lbs per week.
Actually, I heard it's 1-2 pounds/week. If you're a woman, you want to do 1 pound because you might lose your figure if you take it off too quickly.

Old
05-08-2008, 09:14 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
You lost 72 lbs in a month?

Im no doctor but that in no way can be healthy for you
..and damn near impossible, nobody loses 17+lbs a week consistently for a month...and if he did, his metabolism is effed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Actually, I heard it's 1-2 pounds/week. If you're a woman, you want to do 1 pound because you might lose your figure if you take it off too quickly.
correct sir, if you're actually trying to change the way you eat for the rest of you life, the right way...1-2 lbs is the way to go. And then once you're satisfied with your weight, you have to manage to stay at that weight.

I don't think people get that diets DO NOT WORK! Most people will lose their "x" amount of weight, are pleased, and just go back to natural habits. Gain back those "x" amount of weights, and then some.

Old
05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Well I don't know what the hell I did yesterday, but my elbows are killing me.

Oh well. Hope I can still run.

Old
05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
HabsGuy19

Send a message via MSN to HabsGuy19 Send a message via Skype™ to HabsGuy19
I'm in, I've been looking to lose some weight and get in better shape, so why not share it with HFBoards.

Name: Justin
Sex: M
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 180lbs
Goal: 165lbs
Main motivator: To feel good about the way I look shirtless.
Biggest obstacle ahead: I have a horrible time with eating healthy. If I can do that, I'll be fine.
Reason why you will achieve your goal: I played in an 8 hour ball hockey tournament a week ago and realized that I was more out of shape than I have been in a long time. Seeing other individuals who were more in shape than I was, was very frustrating, because I'm not used to being sub-par when it comes to things.

Anyway, I'm participating in a 24-hour ball hockey game for charity June 21st-22nd, and would like to get back in shape before that point, so I'm really going to have to grin and bare it, while I try not to be subdued by my awful habit of eating unhealthy.

Here they are

What do you think of our team name and logo

Last edited by HabsGuy19: 05-08-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old
05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Now why couldn't someone have told me that six years ago? Oh well, I've got most of it back anyway.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Now why couldn't someone have told me that six years ago? Oh well, I've got most of it back anyway.
Hum, I don't think Brieremania will mind that much.

Old
05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Fido22

Ok, I have to get back to working out (mainly running) more consistently.

Name: Doug ()

Sex: M

Height: 5'9''

Weight: 175 lbs ish (maybe a bit more, haven't checked in a while...let's say 175-180)

Goal: 165 lbs

Main motivator: Get back to good cardiovascular shape. I used to run like a mad man. I also usually stop for extended periods of time. The more I exercise, the better I eat as well. Gotta get the ball rolling again.

Reason why you will achieve your goal: Bought a house with a nice inground pool and we'll be having plenty of pool parties. Generally, just have an urge to get back into good shape and feeling like it. Feels great to feel healthy and I want that feeling back.

Last edited by Fido22: 05-08-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old
05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Penalty Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
..and damn near impossible, nobody loses 17+lbs a week consistently for a month...and if he did, his metabolism is effed.
LOL, I'd like to know what I did wrong. Maybe I should've slowly weened myself onto veggies and stuck to potato chips most of the time?? I'll admit, I'm a big guy and I've probably lost a good chunk of muscle mass along with the fat. That's something I've tried to change recently.

I agree with the whole "diet" thing. Having a weight goal is not good. Once you get there, there's a sense that you can go "back to normal" which was probably unhealthy (or at least less healthy).

If you make the goal to live a more healthy lifestyle, then it never ends. That's my plan...unless my effed metabolism sneaks up behind me stabs me in the back!

If anyone cares, I've only lost an average of 3 pounds per week over the last 3 weeks.

Old
05-08-2008, 02:33 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post

correct sir, if you're actually trying to change the way you eat for the rest of you life, the right way...1-2 lbs is the way to go. And then once you're satisfied with your weight, you have to manage to stay at that weight.

I don't think people get that diets DO NOT WORK! Most people will lose their "x" amount of weight, are pleased, and just go back to natural habits. Gain back those "x" amount of weights, and then some.
Anyone who takes off more than 2 pounds per week should immediately lose this competition. It's too dangerous for your health.

And, again, if you are a woman, 1 pound a week is plenty.

That's a LOT of weight to take off if you think about it.

If you take off more, your metabolism will slow down and even if you slow down your eating, your weight won't go anywhere because the fat won't get processed properly.

You have to eat healthy, but don't go crazy, do it slowly. It's habits you need to change, the rest will take care of itself. You have to fix your brain, not your body. That's where the problem is. It's about learning a new skill - eating. If you are overweight, you don't know how to eat, bottom line. It's pretty complicated though, so it takes some work.

Scares me to see people go on crash diets. They NEVER work. Never will.

Don't change anything for two weeks about what you eat, but enter all the information into www.fitday.com and then take a look at it later to see what you are doing wrong and slowly start to make changes after that.

Good luck!

Old
05-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Anyone who takes off more than 2 pounds per week should immediately lose this competition. It's too dangerous for your health.

And, again, if you are a woman, 1 pound a week is plenty.

That's a LOT of weight to take off if you think about it.

If you take off more, your metabolism will slow down and even if you slow down your eating, your weight won't go anywhere because the fat won't get processed properly.

You have to eat healthy, but don't go crazy, do it slowly. It's habits you need to change, the rest will take care of itself. You have to fix your brain, not your body. That's where the problem is. It's about learning a new skill - eating. If you are overweight, you don't know how to eat, bottom line. It's pretty complicated though, so it takes some work.

Good luck!
Good post.

Old
05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Good post.
It's not like you have to give up the food you like. It's about portion size, when you eat and what else you eat with it that day.

You can have the hamburger for lunch, but eat a salad for dinner. Etc.

Only have one serving of bread per day, don't have toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pizza for dinner or you're screwed. Don't skip out on carbs or bread, that's unhealthy. And DO NOT skip meals or your metabolism will slow down. You're just shooting yourself in the foot doing that.

Eat your last meal four hours before going to bed so your system has more time to work on the food while you aren't completely sedentary. Sleeping it off is the best way to lose weight. You lose it while you sleep! Perfect. Have a small snack two hours before bed if you have to. SMALL. It's all about portion size.

Lean towards more carbs in the morning, and more protein at night. And don't forget to have 4-8 glasses of water or green tea or mineral water with fruit squeezed in per day. Sodas will absolutely kill you. Have those one day a week if you must (I find them disgusting though).

Cardio in the morning (have a piece of fruit before) or when you wake up if you can. Weights later in the day after you've eaten healthy carbs earlier in the day.

You have to cut out 500 calories below your ideal calorie intake that day. You need to take in the right amount of calories depending on what you plan to do that day. If you are just sitting around at the office, it will be lower. Find that number and take 500 off it every day. OR, a better way is to take 250 off it and then workout to take the other 250 off. Or work out and take the whole 500 off and then just eat as you normally would. Change it up every week. Play games with it.

Track what you eat on www.fitday.com for a couple weeks and then balance everything out. Make menus of what you like to eat and make sure you have at least a 50-30-20 carb-protein-fat ratio. You can go to 40-40-20 as well. Don't cut all the fat out, but make sure the fat you eat is healthy fat - like nuts, etc. Take the stuff you like to eat, control the portion size, then add other stuff if you have to to make sure you get the right balance every day.

You can change it up every week too with what you eat and what you balance out on your ratio.

And leave yourself one day to be bad per week.

Moderate your drinking (3 bottles of beer per day, one per hour, eat before and during, drink non-alcoholic drinks between each drink).

You have to make a game of it. There's a lot of good food out there.

I'm sure there's more to add to this list too.

This isn't a diet, it's the way you'll eat the rest of your life. There's a lot of variation there too, don't think it's restrictive. After awhile, you won't need to track the food anymore, you'll be able to automatically balance things out during the day. I always improvise what I eat. I just take a second to think about what I had for breakfast and lunch and then figure out what will go with that to balance out the ratio. Simple.

The main thing is to enter the nutrition qualities of the food you eat, and then go out and try to find better versions of the stuff you feed your face. Bread is a big culprit. The bread we eat is usually low in nutrients because it's a scam. You have to go out and find the best bread out there. Milton's multi-grain or Milton's whole grain is the best I've found, but it might not be available in Canada. Etc. Do that for everything. Read the packages for fat, sodium, etc. Watch the suggested portion size, that's another scam.

I feel like Richard Simmons now.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-08-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's not like you have to give up the food you like. It's about portion size, when you eat and what else you eat with it that day.

Only have one serving of bread per day, don't have toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pizza for dinner or you're screwed.

Eat your last meal four hours before going to bed so your system has more time to work on the food while you aren't completely sedentary. Sleeping it off is the best way to lose weight. You lose it while you sleep! Perfect.

Lean towards more carbs in the morning, and more protein at night. And don't forget to have 4-8 glasses of water or green tea or mineral water with fruit squeezed in per day.

Cardio in the morning (have a piece of fruit before) or when you wake up if you can. Weights later in the day after you've eaten healthy carbs earlier in the day.

Track what you eat on www.fitday.com for a couple weeks and then balance everything out. Make menus of what you like to eat and make sure you have at least a 50-30-20 carb-protein-fat ratio. You can go to 40-40-20 as well. Don't cut all the fat out, but make sure the fat you eat is healthy fat - like nuts, etc. Take the stuff you like to eat, control the portion size, then add other stuff if you have to to make sure you get the right balance every day.

You can change it up every week too with what you eat and what you balance out on your ratio.

Moderate your drinking (3 bottles of beer per day, one per hour, eat before and during, drink non-alcoholic drinks between each drink).

I hope you have the short shorts to pull it off.

Old
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Batarnac

Quote:

Only have one serving of bread per day, don't have toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pizza for dinner or you're screwed.

Eat your last meal four hours before going to bed so your system has more time to work on the food while you aren't completely sedentary. Sleeping it off is the best way to lose weight. You lose it while you sleep! Perfect.

Lean towards more carbs in the morning, and more protein at night. And don't forget to have 4-8 glasses of water or green tea or mineral water with fruit squeezed in per day.

This isn't a diet, it's the way you'll eat the rest of your life. There's a lot of variation there too, don't think it's restrictive. After awhile, you won't need to track the food anymore, you'll be able to automatically balance things out during the day. I always improvise what I eat. I just take a second to think about what I had for breakfast and lunch and then figure out what will go with that to balance out the ratio. Simple.

Is it really that important? What are the effects of eating before and during drinking, having non-alcoholic drink between beers and having only one per hour? Does it stands for liquors too?

Old
05-08-2008, 03:03 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm putting together a fairly regimented new diet for myself. My biggest flaw is that I don't eat at intervals. I tend to eat only once or twice per day.

Morning: All-Bran w/ 2% milk, apple and/or banana. (I actually like All-Bran.. this isn't some crazy diet thing)
Then I go to the gym and do running (as much as I can up to 5km) then get on the bike and do 2km for every 1km I didn't run.
Lunch: is usually a sandwich or pasta with chicken
Late Afternoon I go back to the gym and do a light workout and some more jogging/biking. Sometimes I do this in the evening, or substitute it with pick-up soccer or rollerblading.
Evening: Usually something like a chicken taco salad, but without the taco. I make my own salsa which has little salt in it, so I use that as dressing. Otherwise it's some kind of meat with salad as a side.

Something that's really helping me is I have a subscription (for some reason. I got it as a christmas gift) to Men's Health. They have some awesome recipes in there for stuff to eat that I try out once or twice a week. For those of us who cook, we should have recipe repository for interesting, but healthy, stuff to eat.

I usually let myself have one day off per week, where I go out with my friends and eat whatever.

Anyway that's what I'm doing at the moment. We should collaborate to help each other with alternatives and ideas.

Old
05-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatthatquestion View Post
Is it really that important? What are the effects of eating before and during drinking, having non-alcoholic drink between beers and having only one per hour? Does it stands for liquors too?
I just try to look at total caloric input vs output. Don't know about how usefull other rules are and do know it would drive me crazy.

Old
05-08-2008, 03:31 PM
CenterHice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I'm putting together a fairly regimented new diet for myself. My biggest flaw is that I don't eat at intervals. I tend to eat only once or twice per day.

Morning: All-Bran w/ 2% milk, apple and/or banana. (I actually like All-Bran.. this isn't some crazy diet thing)
Then I go to the gym and do running (as much as I can up to 5km) then get on the bike and do 2km for every 1km I didn't run.
Lunch: is usually a sandwich or pasta with chicken
Late Afternoon I go back to the gym and do a light workout and some more jogging/biking. Sometimes I do this in the evening, or substitute it with pick-up soccer or rollerblading.
Evening: Usually something like a chicken taco salad, but without the taco. I make my own salsa which has little salt in it, so I use that as dressing. Otherwise it's some kind of meat with salad as a side.

Something that's really helping me is I have a subscription (for some reason. I got it as a christmas gift) to Men's Health. They have some awesome recipes in there for stuff to eat that I try out once or twice a week. For those of us who cook, we should have recipe repository for interesting, but healthy, stuff to eat.

I usually let myself have one day off per week, where I go out with my friends and eat whatever.

Anyway that's what I'm doing at the moment. We should collaborate to help each other with alternatives and ideas.
When do you work?

I am going to be on an elliptical before and after work, but that's all the time I have.
Between work, kids and the wife, not much time.

Old
05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatthatquestion View Post
It's not important if you don't have a drinking problem. It is important if you regularly drink more than 3 beers, or binge drink, or drink three or more beers in a row to get your Blood-Alcohol Content sky high.

Basically drinking to get drunk versus drinking to get a high (but not go too high with your BAC Content).

But beer/alcohol and drugs are huge culprits because they make you eat more when you are drunk/high.

There are drinking moderation books out there.

Oftentimes, it's not just what you eat, it's what makes you drink/eat.

When you are younger, you tend to have more partying friends and when you are around them you drink/eat more. Sometimes directly from peer pressure (which the bartender is only happy to play into).

Not the case for everyone, but for some people. I had to get rid of some friends because it was ridiculous at a certain point.

Old
05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterHice View Post
When do you work?

I am going to be on an elliptical before and after work, but that's all the time I have.
Between work, kids and the wife, not much time.
No kids, no wife, and I work from home.

It's a rough life, I know.

Old
05-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Twist and Shout

Anyone know where I can find a calculator to measure the ideal (according to weight) protein-carbohydrate-fat intake in order to lose body fat?

Old
05-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I've been doing massive renovations lately, it's been taking up most of my time.

After next week, I should go back to swimming, 3 days a week. There's a gym near my new house, I might go for the other 3. My plan was to train more during my next semester, but that's in september, so I might as well start now.

My first swimming goal would be 1km, then 2 kms.

Gaining weight would be 5-10 lbs during the summer.

Of course, all of that is barring the green light from my physician.

Old
05-09-2008, 11:00 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

For anyone considering using fitday to track their food intake and exercise, you should know about this website:

www.dietfacts.com

It has nutritional information for tons of stuff (like the honey bourbon chicken sandwich I had today at quiznos) and you can export it directly to fitday.com without having to enter the information manually.

Closed Thread