HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion about Sundin today After Maurice firing.

Old
05-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
No thanks! The guy has what? 1 year left? and never won anything, give the kids even more roles next year and give more ice time to the Kostitsyns, Latendresse, Plekanec, Chipchura etc.
Craziness if you don't want him. He's a star. Doubt it happens, but if it did:

Sundin
Pleks
Koivu <-- Would have to transition kind of like Yzerman to a more all around player, but he's approaching that point.

That would be the best centre ice in the league. Period. I like Chipchura, but jesus, you don't say no to that.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Turboflex*

Habs have a lot of cap room for 2008-2009 (but not 2009-2010) so I could see Gainey throwing a ton of money at Jagr/Sundin (over 7-8 mill or more) on a 1 year contract to give the habs serious vet depth for their centennial run. Guys like Jagr or Sundin will still be studs in the playoffs, but the habs won't be relying on them. I think this is almost assuridly the scenario Gainey will pursue for next season, BOOK IT.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Habs have a lot of cap room for 2008-2009 (but not 2009-2010) so I could see Gainey throwing a ton of money at Jagr/Sundin (over 7-8 mill or more) on a 1 year contract to give the habs serious vet depth for their centennial run. Guys like Jagr or Sundin will still be studs in the playoffs, but the habs won't be relying on them. I think this is almost assuridly the scenario Gainey will pursue for next season, BOOK IT.
+1.

Completely agree. Sundin would be the big bodied centerman we've always needed, not to mention he's probably only looking for a one year deal. It's absolutely worth attempting, I really believe with Mats in the lineup we would be *the* team to beat in the East.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
No thanks! The guy has what? 1 year left? and never won anything, give the kids even more roles next year and give more ice time to the Kostitsyns, Latendresse, Plekanec, Chipchura etc.
Sadly, in that one year he'll still probably be able to get ~100 pts if he played on the Habs. At the very least he'll be pts leader on our team.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I'd love if Sundin came to Montreal. Fingers crossed.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:32 PM
24Cups

Expect the unexpected.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
tinyzombies

Frank Mahovlich and Doug Gilmour came to Montreal. Frank won Cups here.

Anything is possible!

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:39 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Like I said ealier, let's imagine a line with Sundin, Brunnstrom and Kovalev!

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:29 PM
le_sean

Quote:
You'd say no to Mats Sundin? Big right-handed centreman, clutch, 78 points, 32 goals on a garbage team, future HOFer. I'd do anything to have him on our team. Could you imagine teams trying to take the puck away from him and Kovalev? Wow, it would be amazing.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
lou4gehrig

Sundin clutch? How can you gauge that? He has never won a single thing in his entire career. He had an opportunity to prove that by allowing himself to be traded (and help Toronto with 2-3 young players and probably Stamkos), but Mats is all about Mats. Simple as that. The guy isn't even married and he doesn't have a family. Why couldn't he move for 2 months to win a cup? Winning and warrior playoff hockey aren't a part of who the guy is. It's pretty obvious. No thanks.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Al Strachan mentionned the rumor on the Score today too... but he also said he just doesn't see it happening.

But if Al Strachan says its not happening, that must mean it actually is gonna happen.

Were getting Sundin....

We need a smilie....

I suggest

Sundin so we are sticking out our tongues at all the Leaf fans.
what about: Sundin or Sundin

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Sundin clutch? How can you gauge that? He has never won a single thing in his entire career. He had an opportunity to prove that by allowing himself to be traded (and help Toronto with 2-3 young players and probably Stamkos), but Mats is all about Mats. Simple as that. The guy isn't even married and he doesn't have a family. Why couldn't he move for 2 months to win a cup? Winning and warrior playoff hockey aren't a part of who the guy is. It's pretty obvious. No thanks.
He's been great for the leafs in nearly every playoffs he's been involved in with them.... He was great for sweden winning gold at the last olympics.... He's as clutch as Koivu in my book.

Just cause he's a leaf we need to take off the hater glasses and assess him honestly. He's had a really good career, and in Montreal we'd pair him with better wingers then he's probably ever played with.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Wow.

Just...wow.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Just cause he's a leaf we need to take off the hater glasses and assess him honestly.
You and I both know that's not going to happen.

I spend a lot of time at both boards, and neither one can assess the other team objectively at all.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Wow.

Just...wow.
I was expecting more of a ripping than that...

Old
05-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
I was expecting more of a ripping than that...
Not on this board; this is the Habs fans' home.

However, I would say that if an opposing fan made a quote like that on the Leafs board, it would almost certainly get you 5 points and a forum ban along with it.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:23 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Wow.

Just...wow.

RE- wow!!!!

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:28 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Just as Koivu hasn't won the cup either...
It's rare to see a player who can not stand the idea of playing for another team no matter the money or chance to win the cup. Considering all the players that care NOTHING but money, he's a breath of fresh air in my books.
Frankly from my stand point, Sundin trying to win the cup with his subpar team IS the definition of a warrior. May not be a warrior that knows how to pick a winner but a warrior none the less. He deserves respect even from us idiot Hab fans.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
You and I both know that's not going to happen.

I spend a lot of time at both boards, and neither one can assess the other team objectively at all.
Sundin at one point was probably one of the top 10, if not top 5 players in the world.... I mean here's a guy who had Jonas Hoglund, Mikael Renberg, and those type of players on his wing in his prime, and he was still averaging at a PPG pace, in the old trap NHL where it was tougher to score.... thats really impressive, imagine if he had some real wingers back then.

Today hes still over a PPG and his wingers haven't gotten much better, if at all.... Without him the leafs were a last place club, no doubt about it in my mind.... He carried them on many nights.

As well, I would like anyone to tell me when the guy had a bad playoff performance... not a single game, but an entire playoff run where you can say he was bad, or he was one of the reasons the leafs lost. Its not his fault his team hasn't won a cup, sometimes you just don't have enough of a supporting cast. The supporting cast he was given was almost all old guys who would ineviatably break down as the playoffs went on.... You need to mix youth and experience and the Leafs of those years never did that. To say he isn't a clutch performer though is pretty crazy if you watched any of those games.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Sundin at one point was probably one of the top 10, if not top 5 players in the world.... I mean here's a guy who had Jonas Hoglund, Mikael Renberg, and those type of players on his wing in his prime, and he was still averaging at a PPG pace, in the old trap NHL where it was tougher to score.... thats really impressive, imagine if he had some real wingers back then.

Today hes still over a PPG and his wingers haven't gotten much better, if at all.... Without him the leafs were a last place club, no doubt about it in my mind.... He carried them on many nights.

As well, I would like anyone to tell me when the guy had a bad playoff performance... not a single game, but an entire playoff run where you can say he was bad, or he was one of the reasons the leafs lost. Its not his fault his team hasn't won a cup, sometimes you just don't have enough of a supporting cast. The supporting cast he was given was almost all old guys who would ineviatably break down as the playoffs went on.... You need to mix youth and experience and the Leafs of those years never did that. To say he isn't a clutch performer though is pretty crazy if you watched any of those games.
Well, when I said that each board couldn't view each team objectively, I wasn't talking about every poster there. Good analysis.

Sundin took a lot of heat from some for not waiving his NTC, but the bottom line is that if you wanted to be able to trade a player at some point, don't give them an NTC. Simple as that. He was exercising his contract, and he was well within his rights to do so. Don't blame Sundin for doing what his contract said he could do. We're lucky he tolerated staying in this **** hole for so many years in the first place.

I don't know what makes people so optimistic that he'll go play somewhere else this year. I think that if he was willing to play anywhere else, he probably would have allowed a move at the deadline. He'll either come back for another year in Toronto or retire, IMO. I really don't think he's interested in playing anywhere else.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Sundin signing with the Habs would probably destroy Leafs fans. I know people that deny that Gilmour was in a Habs uni in his career.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Sundin signing with the Habs would probably destroy Leafs fans. I know people that deny that Gilmour was in a Habs uni in his career.
Everyone knows I like the Habs, right?

Well, I'm telling you right now that if Mats Sundin signs with Montreal, I'll hope he rots in hell for all eternity. Sundin signing with Montreal would be the most unforgivable thing to happen to this team since Harold Ballard taking over.

And that's a Leafs fan talking that LIKES the Habs. Imagine how those who hate them (the vast majority of the fanbase) would feel?

Sundin signing with Montreal or Ottawa would never, ever, ever be forgiven here. Ever.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I don't know what makes people so optimistic that he'll go play somewhere else this year. I think that if he was willing to play anywhere else, he probably would have allowed a move at the deadline. He'll either come back for another year in Toronto or retire, IMO. I really don't think he's interested in playing anywhere else.
I agree its not gonna happen.....

But when you look at the needs of the Montreal Canadiens... especially for a big elite centre, and you see that he is the only one available on the UFA market.... and you have the cap space to make it happen.... Well you'd be stupid not to pick up the phone and make that offer on July 1st..... Worst case scenario you've wasted a couple minutes on the phone.

Quote:

Well, I'm telling you right now that if Mats Sundin signs with Montreal, I'll hope he rots in hell for all eternity. Sundin signing with Montreal would be the most unforgivable thing to happen to this team since Harold Ballard taking over.

And that's a Leafs fan talking that LIKES the Habs. Imagine how those who hate them (the vast majority of the fanbase) would feel?

Sundin signing with Montreal or Ottawa would never, ever, ever be forgiven here. Ever.
If he ever did sign the smilie is definetely.

Sundin

And I'll say it right now... If Sundin signs with Montreal... my new username is
Matsmania

Old
05-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Kachino

vCash: 50
Quote:

If Sundin signs with Montreal, then it would be similar to Johnny Damon signing with the NYY. OK, maybe not the same impact but the feeling of betrayal will be there.

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
If he ever did sign the smilie is definetely.

Sundin

And I'll say it right now... If Sundin signs with Montreal... my new username is
Matsmania
If Sundin signs with Montreal, you'll never see me on this board while he's there. I'm serious. I'll devote myself to the cause of hoping he never gets a Cup as a Hab, and I'll actively cheer against Montreal, I team I like very much (and was extremely pissed when they lost to Philly )

He'd easily become public enemy #1 in Toronto. It would be the worst thing since Benedict Arnold. It would be one thing to go to some team like San Jose, Dallas, or even Detroit (yuck)...but Ottawa and Montreal are off-limits.