HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Melrose coming back to coach...

Old
05-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
That's the problem..Renney has implemented a defensive system which won't work with these group of players..this lineup is made for an offensive team not a defensive team like the devils..."Can someone please tell Renney we are not the devils and stop playing this retarded trap."
Please go back and read my first post quoting you. I will repeat the question. Who was supposed to score?
His defensive system won't work here? Really? All he's done is get us to the playoffs three straight years and to the second round of the playoffs for two straight years, but you're right his system definitely isn't working. We should go back to missing the playoffs and being the laughingstock of the league.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhoenix View Post
Agreed, and after listening to some of the stuff Melrose has said on ESPN, he obv. has something against the Blueshirts, so why would the Rangers want him as a coach? Renney has done an okay job, not the greatest but again I don't think Melrose would ever coach the Rangers, and nor would I want him to.
I heard he was pissed off that Sather never even considered giving him an interview after Melrose stated that he was the man to coach the Rangers a few years ago.

Melrose is the caricature that ESPN keeps around to symbolize how insignificant they think the NHL is. He is not an analyst, more of a cartoon character.

Let him coach one our bitter rivals.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 02:17 AM
JiBBa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Please go back and read my first post quoting you. I will repeat the question. Who was supposed to score?
His defensive system won't work here? Really? All he's done is get us to the playoffs three straight years and to the second round of the playoffs for two straight years, but you're right his system definitely isn't working. We should go back to missing the playoffs and being the laughingstock of the league.
Congratulations,the rangers made playoffs 3 straight years with a lineup like this....with this lineup they should make the playoffs without any question..I expected more from this Rangers Team...at least ECF. Also, you don't put shanny on the PP the guy is just old and needs to be on the 4th line.(another bad decision by renney). And it took Renney a while to learn that Malik stinks and how he cost us some games...plus,this team doesn't hold big leads if their life depended on it....they sit back too much. That's the coach job to wake them up and take timeouts..and he juggles his lines too much as well. Srry but I'm not a Renney fan

JiBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
Congratulations,the rangers made playoffs 3 straight years with a lineup like this....with this lineup they should make the playoffs without any question..I expected more from this Rangers Team...at least ECF. Also, you don't put shanny on the PP the guy is just old and needs to be on the 4th line.(another bad decision by renney). And it took Renney a while to learn that Malik stinks and how he cost us some games...plus,this team doesn't hold big leads if their life depended on it....they sit back too much. That's the coach job to wake them up and take timeouts..and he juggles his lines too much as well. Srry but I'm not a Renney fan
Have you not watched the Rangers much or are you just too young to remember the previous eight years before these last three seasons? Making the playoffs three straight years and the second round two straight years is way better than where they were. How can you not remember all the years where people were saying "how are the Rangers not any good with lineups like this?" Do you not understand what Renney does for this team? Coaching isn't just making lineups. He has actually gotten the Rangers to play like a team instead of a bunch of individuals running all over the ice. He has actually gotten them to play defense. This is a good thing. You don't win if you don't play defense. I will once again refer you to my original response to your complaints. Where is this murderer's row of scoring talent you think we had this year? Look at all the young kids Renney has successfully integrated into this team over the last three years. This isn't the NBA. You don't go from bottom feeder to championship contender overnight with just a couple of moves. It takes time and patience. We're on the way there thanks to Renney.

Old
05-08-2008, 03:44 AM
GarretJoseph

A lot of people I talk to at the games want Mike Keenan back as coach. You can't argue his track record here lol..

As a coach I can deal with him. GM? Never.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:59 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What I don't get is what are Melrose's credentials really? He made a Cup final with the best player in league having a ridiculously good playoffs. Aside from that, he's a guy with a coaching record that is 21 games under .500.
Not advocating Melrose, but Renney was also under .500 as a HC

just saying

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 05:07 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Scoring was not "supposed" to be the achillies heel for this team.

After signing both Gomez adn Drury the team was supposed to score with ease.

35+ from Jagr
30+ from Shanny
25+ from Drury
20+ from Gomez
20+ from Avery (some on this board, of which I am not one, would have you believe he's capable of 25+)

The only player to touch those numbers is Drury, everyone else fell short, age? a factor yes. System? Also a factor.

Scoring was supposed to be this teams strength in addition to playing a sound defensive game. But it didn't work out that way.

Do I think Melrose is the answer? No, but I do believe we need a new HC, one that can better utilize our ability to play in the offensive zone all the while maintaining a defensive presence.

Old
05-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

just saying
There's also the fact that Melrose just flat out has no clue what he's talking about. He called the Canadiens the best defensive team in the Eastern Conference in one of his radio appearances leading up to the playoffs.

Old
05-08-2008, 05:16 AM
Zil

Quote:
Scoring was not "supposed" to be the achillies heel for this team.

After signing both Gomez adn Drury the team was supposed to score with ease.

35+ from Jagr
30+ from Shanny
25+ from Drury
20+ from Gomez
20+ from Avery (some on this board, of which I am not one, would have you believe he's capable of 25+)

The only player to touch those numbers is Drury, everyone else fell short, age? a factor yes. System? Also a factor.

Scoring was supposed to be this teams strength in addition to playing a sound defensive game. But it didn't work out that way.

Do I think Melrose is the answer? No, but I do believe we need a new HC, one that can better utilize our ability to play in the offensive zone all the while maintaining a defensive presence.
Why was Jagr supposed to score 35+? He scored 30 the year before last. 30+ from Shanahan was also unrealistic and his getting old has nothing to do with Renney. As you said Drury had his 25 goals. Gomez has hit the 20 goal mark exactly once in eight seasons and that was clearly a career year for him. Avery would have scored 20+ goals if he hadn't been hobbled by injuries. I don't see how this adds up to us being an offensive juggernaut and Renney being to blame for this just like it's not his fault that Straka got old fast and the kids needed half a season or so to develop. I also think Drury and Gomez will put up better numbers next season now that they've acclimated to the team.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

just saying
He was. Of course the team was in a very different place then. Where it is now, there's no way you replace a winning coach for someone under .500

05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
clmetsfan

I think the team's lack of scoring this season has a lot to do with the defensive system that Renney put in place. Now, why did he decide to do that?

Have you seen the Rangers defensemen? Renney was forced to choose between Malik, Strudwick, and Backman every night for crying out loud. Our de facto #1 (Rosie) played far below his capabilities for most of the second half. Tyutin had numerous bad games as well. I'd wager that had the Rangers not played a defensive-minded game, we'd be losing a lot of games 5-4 and people would be calling for Henrik's head.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
if melrose can run a effective powerplay i would take him. Perry Pearn was supposedly being considered for the Florida job if i remember correctly.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I think the team's lack of scoring this season has a lot to do with the defensive system that Renney put in place. Now, why did he decide to do that?

Have you seen the Rangers defensemen? Renney was forced to choose between Malik, Strudwick, and Backman every night for crying out loud. Our de facto #1 (Rosie) played far below his capabilities for most of the second half. Tyutin had numerous bad games as well. I'd wager that had the Rangers not played a defensive-minded game, we'd be losing a lot of games 5-4 and people would be calling for Henrik's head.
I think its a "chicken or the egg" kind of thing here. Sure he played a defensive system. But that was largely because the team struggled to score more than two goals a game. You can control working hard defensively, you can't control scoring more.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Levitate

There are a lot of people saying very stupid things in this thread

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
There are a lot of people saying very stupid things in this thread
Agree 100%

This has to be one of the most worthless threads in a long time. And to think I actually read through the whole thing anyway

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Can we just lock this thread. Just reading the thread title just makes me wanna slit my wrists.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Agree 100%

This has to be one of the most worthless threads in a long time. And to think I actually read through the whole thing anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Can we just lock this thread. Just reading the thread title just makes me wanna slit my wrists.
Threads are not going to be locked because people do not like the content. There is a lovely ignore thread function that I urge people to use if they cannot possibly stomach this thread.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Threads are not going to be locked because people do not like the content. There is a lovely ignore thread function that I urge people to use if they cannot possibly stomach this thread.
I know. Poor attempt at humor on my part.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I prefer Renney to mulletman Melrose

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:53 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Do it.

Hire Melrose. Not as a coach, but as a third man in the booth. Instruct him to interrupt Joe every time he tries to say something with an insightful observation of the game that only Barry Melrose can deliver. Make things interesting up there. Or put him down at rink level with Trautwig and they can combine their powers (could be dangerous, sort of like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters).

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:

just saying
and if Tom Renney from 3 years ago were available, you couldn't justify replacing current Tom Renney with him.

Old
05-09-2008, 03:27 AM
agentzzz

thanks for the laugh

agentzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

One thing that puzzles me is why people complain that "I expected at least conference final from this team" and the likes?

Renney got to the second round both of these last seasons, and in both instances Rangers lost against teams that were visibly better - no matter how close it appeared at times.

Like many have indicated - you don't really have the defence (individually) for it to be realistic to contain others without having a defensive system. That hurts your offence some, but then again Jagr is not the Jagr of old, Straka is not the Straka of old and Shanahan most definately isn't the Shanahan of old. Add that your recently imported stars Gomez and Drury are not elite scorers but great complimentary players. Your difference makers simply don't make enough of a difference considering their salaries (not to mention what you expect). That will always hold a team back.

What's Renney to do about that? He's building. The youngsters are responding. You will come around. But there's no way this team is an obvious challenger next year either. The talent just isn't there compared to a number of other teams.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:38 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Why was Jagr supposed to score 35+? He scored 30 the year before last. 30+ from Shanahan was also unrealistic and his getting old has nothing to do with Renney. As you said Drury had his 25 goals. Gomez has hit the 20 goal mark exactly once in eight seasons and that was clearly a career year for him. Avery would have scored 20+ goals if he hadn't been hobbled by injuries. I don't see how this adds up to us being an offensive juggernaut and Renney being to blame for this just like it's not his fault that Straka got old fast and the kids needed half a season or so to develop. I also think Drury and Gomez will put up better numbers next season now that they've acclimated to the team.
Because with the additions of the 2 centers, the Rangers were supposed to be a deeper team and one that much harder to play against.

Stop Jagr and Drury and Shanny kill you, stop Drury and Shanny and Gomez and Jagr kill you.

The bottom line is that the chemistry was never there the way we all expected it and anticipated that it would be.

With regards to Gomez, the expectations was that playing with an all-world talent like Jagr was going to help him push the envelope on 90+ to 100 points on the season, 25 goals was not and is not an unrealistic number when you look at the potential that those two on the same line have.

Hindsight is a great thing, but I can remember (maybe not you specifically) alot of folks thinking that this team was going to be an offensive machine with what we were expecting from Gomez and Jagr. And if Jagr doesn't have the piss poor season he had, Gomez would have had 25+ goals and Jagr would have had 35+ goals and we are not having this conversation. And as that is said, if Jagr has a better season that means less attention is paid to Drury and Shanny which means increeased production from that group.

Overall, this team was horrible scoring at even strength and worse on the PP. An average year on both and this teams (those players numbers specifically) are easily reached.

As for Gomez and Drury putting up better numbers, I'd agree on Drury, not so much on Gomez especially if Jagr is not back. It would seriously depend on the wingers we got to replace him.