HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who was the toughest player in Habs history?

Old
05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Istvan

vCash: 500
John Ferguson.

Didn't the Habs have an amateur boxing champ on the roster in the early 70's?

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
They had a guy named Connolly, I think one of our posters goes by him for his user name. He was only around a year or two, won a bunch of fights, but couldn't play much. He might've had some back problems. I'm typing this and I'm wondering if it was Carlson instead of Connolly. Obsessive as I am, I'll find it somewhere and correct myself.

Kent Carlson was the guy. One of those American guys that seemed to appear every year during the early 80's. Tough kid.
You're right on both counts. Wayne Connelly and Kent Carlson both played for the Habs, but not at the same time.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Transported Upstater

I'd like to give a shout out to the late John Ferguson.

Tough son of a ***** and a great guy.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonin View Post
Marcel Bonin is my grand-father and he told me a hell lot of stories like the one you stated, either as a police officer or an amateur boxer

He was also very short and didn't weight much, but always used to get the puck out of the corner and defend his teamates, very proud of him
He started with Detroit and he was a very good pickup by the Habs. One season, when Maurice Richard was out for a long time, Marcel Bonin filled in and did a fine job. As you say, he was a very good corner man. He was strong for his size.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:35 AM
peewee

Richard Zednik is the man !!

peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 05:02 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Who do you consider the toughest Canadiens player in team history?
To me, a tough guy could hurt you with body checks, didn't get muscled off the puck, would win the puck possession battles. Someone the opponents feared and respected. Fighting counts a bit, but only if you can play hockey, too.

By ERA:
Butch Bouchard
Doug Harvey
John Ferguson
Larry Robinson
Chris Chelios
Shayne Corson

We haven't had a really productive tough guy for many years. Komisarek is the toughest guy we have now. O'Byrne might develop into one too, if he can manage to stop coveting purses.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 05:03 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
John Ferguson.

Didn't the Habs have an amateur boxing champ on the roster in the early 70's?
John van Boxmeer

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Mustafa*

The Rocket cause he punished Sean Avery just after Avery told the news paper he would kick the ass of Maurice the same night.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 06:56 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You're right on both counts. Wayne Connelly and Kent Carlson both played for the Habs, but not at the same time.
Geez, we're showing our, umm, what's the word, 'experience' here. I remember Wayne Connelly, mainly from an old hockey card. The Gary Connelly we refer to was the tough guy with the JR.Canadiens in 68-69, I believe his nephew.

I'm stuck on spelling it with an O, there must have been a Connolly playing for someone, I know both spellings exist, but remembering which is which, forget about it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 06:58 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
To me, a tough guy could hurt you with body checks, didn't get muscled off the puck, would win the puck possession battles. Someone the opponents feared and respected. Fighting counts a bit, but only if you can play hockey, too.

By ERA:
Butch Bouchard
Doug Harvey
John Ferguson
Larry Robinson
Chris Chelios
Shayne Corson

We haven't had a really productive tough guy for many years. Komisarek is the toughest guy we have now. O'Byrne might develop into one too, if he can manage to stop coveting purses.
If you define toughness by willingness, look no further than Terry Harper. He took what Tom Kostopolous does to an art form. No one took more and worse beatings than The Harp. He'd fight anyone, but I remeber cringing when he'd drop the gloves as you knew you'd be seeing blood soon.

Old
05-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In terms of fighting prowess, I'd venture Brashear is the best fighter the Canadiens have ever developed. He was still young when with Montreal and after putting up great numbers in the AHL (scoring almost 40 goals) he was traded and developed into a top 3 fighter in the NHL (maybe even champ). Unfortunately the Habs were not patient enough for Brashear to develop into the servicable player he's become, and traded him over paying him an elite an enforcers wage.

Ivanans seems capable of developing into an elite force and has tremedous size, but it's only been this year since he's started to really figure out his style and dominate most of his opponents. I think he certainly projects to be a top 3 fighter in the NHL and he's also developing into a servicable player.

Kordic and Nilan were fantastic entertaining fighters but more beatable in any given fight than those two larger super-heavyweight guys. They are just a lot smaller.

In terms of a more all-around definition of toughness, I'm not sure there were many Habs tougher than Nilan or Kordic, who would both fight anyone anytime (which can't be said for Brashear). Corson, although described as choosy by his detractors [sort of like Komisarek today], was also a tough player... Today i think Begin and Kostopolus very much fit this description of the all-around tough player (blocking shots, sticking up for themself or team mates, wanting to win races for the puck, hitting etc...)

Other more recent Habs who haven't been mentioned: Gerry Fleming (only had a cup of coffee in the NHL but destroyed the AHL and weighed close to 260 lbs), Mario Roberge (fought Probert well, had great fights with Rob Ray), Dave Morissette (very intimidating fighter, with damaging punching power)... and my personal favourite Mario's brother Serge Roberge (another minor league terror).

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
They had a guy named Connolly, I think one of our posters goes by him for his user name. He was only around a year or two, won a bunch of fights, but couldn't play much. He might've had some back problems. I'm typing this and I'm wondering if it was Carlson instead of Connolly. Obsessive as I am, I'll find it somewhere and correct myself.

Kent Carlson was the guy. One of those American guys that seemed to appear every year during the early 80's. Tough kid.
Kent Carlson left hockey after having back troubles. He was quite often injured but he had quite a punch. I remember a fight against Paul Holmgren, a big tough guy with Minnesota, where Carlson got him clean a couple of time and all that was left was Holmgren on all fours on the ice looking down at a small pool of his blood.

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 05-08-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:10 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Kent Carlson left hockey after having back troubles. He was quite often injured but he had quite a punch. I remember a fight against Paul Holmgren, a big tough guy with the Flyers, where Carlson got him clean a couple of time and all that was left was Holmgren on all fours on the ice looking down at a small pool of his blood.
He was gone before we knew him ehh ?

Old
05-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
from what I saw John Ferguson.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Gump Worsley was my great-uncle. He once got an egg in the head and played without a mask, I think that qualifies as tough.

Really ?

Gump was one of my all time favorites as a kid. We shared many things in common. Both goalies. Good looking. And with a physique made to stop pucks.

I loved watching him play. And loved his remarks after games.

Old
05-08-2008, 07:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
from what I saw John Ferguson.
Ferguson knew how to make a difference in a game. I laugh when I see talk of a fighter's code in hockey. This didn't exist in the 60's and 70's, it started when phony hockey fights started between designated tough guys who'd start up after faceoffs.

Ferguson would buzz your goalie, high stick your best player, beat the snot out of your toughest guy, whatever it took. No code that I ever saw. A poster on the history board who I think is a great guy, absolutely hates Fergy. JF went after Bobby Hull, with a broken jaw in an incident that is still argued.

Remeber when he opened a series against Boston by going after Ted Green ? It set the tone in the first shift. Fergy didn't go after Orr, Orr had a bit of a crazy temper and beating Ferguson, if he did, would've set theseries in another direction.

So, at times he picked his spots, but I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

Old
05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:

Gump was one of my all time favorites as a kid. We shared many things in common. Both goalies. Good looking. And with a physique made to stop pucks...
Wishful thinking

Old
05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Ferguson knew how to make a difference in a game. I laugh when I see talk of a fighter's code in hockey. This didn't exist in the 60's and 70's, it started when phony hockey fights started between designated tough guys who'd start up after faceoffs.

Ferguson would buzz your goalie, high stick your best player, beat the snot out of your toughest guy, whatever it took. No code that I ever saw. A poster on the history board who I think is a great guy, absolutely hates Fergy. JF went after Bobby Hull, with a broken jaw in an incident that is still argued.

Remeber when he opened a series against Boston by going after Ted Green ? It set the tone in the first shift. Fergy didn't go after Orr, Orr had a bit of a crazy temper and beating Ferguson, if he did, would've set theseries in another direction.

So, at times he picked his spots, but I think he knew exactly what he was doing.
Yup..and Green was no slouch. Fergy was as tough as nails in my book. During that decade you could bet and win that everytime the Bruins - Habs played there would be at least one helluva fight.

And yeah, people don't realize how tough Orr was. he was challenged early and often his first 2 years and after that there simply was no need. He could put a whipping on an anybody that took him on. He may not have one 'em all. But the other guy sure knew he was in a fight afterwards.

To digress one minute since i know you like funny stories that are true. As told by Harry Sinden

When Derek Sanderson came in as rookie in preseason, I think it was'67. There was a game against Detroit. During a scrum Gordie Howe nailed Orr in front of the Bruins bench. Sanderson came over and grabbed Howe and said " one false move old man and your career is over". Howe looked at him and just smiled. We all know how tough Howe was. But that happened right in front of Sinden. Harry said although he realized that Gordie would have kicked Turk's butt he couldn't send a kid with guts like that back to junior.

Old
05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Yup..and Green was no slouch. Fergy was as tough as nails in my book. During that decade you could bet and win that everytime the Bruins - Habs played there would be at least one helluva fight.

And yeah, people don't realize how tough Orr was. he was challenged early and often his first 2 years and after that there simply was no need. He could put a whipping on an anybody that took him on. He may not have one 'em all. But the other guy sure knew he was in a fight afterwards.

To digress one minute since i know you like funny stories that are true. As told by Harry Sinden

When Derek Sanderson came in as rookie in preseason, I think it was'67. There was a game against Detroit. During a scrum Gordie Howe nailed Orr in front of the Bruins bench. Sanderson came over and grabbed Howe and said " one false move old man and your career is over". Howe looked at him and just smiled. We all know how tough Howe was. But that happened right in front of Sinden. Harry said although he realized that Gordie would have kicked Turk's butt he couldn't send a kid with guts like that back to junior.
Imagine Howe today ? The stories I've read about him getting retribution, he'd skate alongside DS, butt end him into next week and the ref would look elsewhere. You'd be up all night deleting posts.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Gros Bill

Henri Richard is the toughest I saw with the Canadiens. Never backed down from anyone, despite a distinct size disadvantage, played when seriously injured, never let up. Tough, in my book.

Remind you all of someone?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Henri Richard is the toughest I saw with the Canadiens. Never backed down from anyone, despite a distinct size disadvantage, played when seriously injured, never let up. Tough, in my book.

Yes, Alfie Turcotte.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I've said it before but can you imagine this board, if Richard played today ? He was a quiet, even shy guy in my impression, but he'd speak when frustrated and the controversy created would gring the city to a halt.

He was a lot of things, all of what you say, and never dishonest. In terms of character and personality, I've always found him really interesting. Making the team at a young age, against odds, when they really didn't want nepotism to be thought of, carving out a niche, one of the great characters in the team's history.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
I've said it before but can you imagine this board, if Richard played today ? He was a quiet, even shy guy in my impression, but he'd speak when frustrated and the controversy created would gring the city to a halt.

He was a lot of things, all of what you say, and never dishonest. In terms of character and personality, I've always found him really interesting. Making the team at a young age, against odds, when they really didn't want nepotism to be thought of, carving out a niche, one of the great characters in the team's history.

And tough as nails

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:18 AM
mcphee

Quote:
And tough as nails
Oh yeah. What is he now, nearly 70 ? When you see him, as small as he looks, you know he isn't someone you want to offend.

The picture that one of our posters used as an avatar, Henri carrying the Cup, sort of looking behind him, his face banged up a bit is one of the more definitive hockey photographs,imo.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
JrHockeyFan

I never saw much of the guys before the 60's so I will stick with picking guys I am familiar with

60's John Ferguson. A physical presence at all times with BIG hands that could also score goals. What made him specially tough was that he was very smart and had a tough mindset as well.

70's. Larry Robinson. No doubt about it. Destroyed the Broad Street Bullies myth forever by dismantling Schultz at center ice on a Sunday afternoon on American TV. He could do that with anybody if he chose to. Or he just might choose to slam the door and check you into the boards hard enough so that you thought twice about trying to go wide by the boards.

80's Chris Nilan. Very tough hard as nails team guy. He was an old time "cop" out there meting out justice frontier style. He also managed to rack up a career high 21 goals the same year he had his career high 358 pims. He also had a sharp wit:
"What are you doing in this league?" Nilan to Flyer enforcer Dave Brown who questioned what Nilan was doing on Montreal's power play.

90's Not the strongest era for "tough" guy play by Montreal. Brashear probably fits the enforcer part best but fell short on other parts. I think John LeClair played a very tough physical game for the Habs on offence down in the trenches. Odelein played with a bit of an edge on D. But all in all the 90's were not tough except for the results after the Cup win in '93

2000+ I'd have to go with a newcomer in Mike Komisarek. He hits and hits hard

My overall choice would be Ferguson with Robinson a close second followed by Nilan.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote