HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price was playing injured!

Old
05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I won't ban you.... You might get arrested by the real cops though.
I wont get caught. I'll just read everything about ninja's on wikipedia beforehand. Besides....Cops arent as effecient as HF mods.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I have to wonder about your reading comprehension. Price said he had 2 broken fingers to reporters and I read that to mean the same thing as his broken fibula. His way of saying there's no story here.

Some on radio suggested a hip problem but there was no confirmation. That's the problem, Price was near death but Carbo just wasn't smart enough to notice his blood pressure dropping.

Sometimes, you just get beat. Price didn't stop enough pucks, no excuses, fingers to be pointed, just an easy fact.
and i wonder about your writing ability. (Price said he had 2 broken fingers to reporter and i read that to mean the same thing as his broken fibula) WHAT DOES THAT MEAN. and sorry i guess i read it wrong. i thought price was serious when he said he had 2 broken fingers. I dont understand why the guy who cost his team the series against philly is cracking jokes though.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
and i wonder about your writing ability. (Price said he had 2 broken fingers to reporter and i read that to mean the same thing as his broken fibula) WHAT DOES THAT MEAN. and sorry i guess i read it wrong. i thought price was serious when he said he had 2 broken fingers. I dont understand why the guy who cost his team the series against philly is cracking jokes though.
Wouldnt it have made the new everywhere? There are tons of clues arround. It just takes certain qualifiquations to peice them together.

What's your address?

Old
05-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If I call some posters idiots I might get an infraction....I dont want that. So is it ok if I find out where they live and hit them with a baseball bat instead? Will I get baned?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=Stupid+Scale

According to this scale, idiot is too tame a descriptor.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 10:58 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=Stupid+Scale

According to this scale, idiot is too tame a descriptor.
well I'll still start using the baseball bat at idiot. So only fools are safe.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Sometimes, you just get beat. Price didn't stop enough pucks, no excuses, fingers to be pointed, just an easy fact.
Buddy, that's an explanation that is not likely to satisfy a large portion of users here.

When you've spent months in a make-believe world where Carey Price is more valuable than Sydney Crosby, where "Jesus 2" is a sort of genetic crossing of Dryden and Roy and have built him as some kind of cartoonish super-hero with some sort of "mental edge" emotionless-terminator superpower only to see a mediocre starter who's been in tears already twice and shat the bed in the playoffs in a way Patrick Roy never could have even if you chopped off one of his legs, you need to make sense of it.

An injury is a good start to accomplish that.

We're talking about "Jesus Price" after all. Moderators were closing threads deemed "stupid" because some posters wondered if we might see Halak in the playoffs. That was barely a month ago.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:37 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Buddy, that's an explanation that is not likely to satisfy a large portion of users here.

When you've spent months in a make-believe world where Carey Price is more valuable than Sydney Crosby, where "Jesus 2" is a sort of genetic crossing of Dryden and Roy and have built him as some kind of cartoonish super-hero with some sort of "mental edge" emotionless-terminator superpower only to see a mediocre starter who's been in tears already twice and shat the bed in the playoffs in a way Patrick Roy never could have even if you chopped off one of his legs, you need to make sense of it.

An injury is a good start to accomplish that.

We're talking about "Jesus Price" after all. Moderators were closing threads deemed "stupid" because some posters wondered if we might see Halak in the playoffs. That was barely a month ago.

I've got this theory that when we build our expectations to a 'take blood pressure medication level' then the team doesn't reach our expectations, the dispointment needs to be someone else's fault, never our own expectations.

The talent level is so close in the league right now that little momentum issues matter a lot. The 7 and 8 teams peaked at exactly the right time. Mtl seemed a little out of sync going in, for a few reasons and they never really got back into a groove. Sometimes it's that simple.

I will say that Carbo surprises me at times with his goalie choices. He tends to go left when I think right. Now if I was even more arrogant, I'd call him an idiot, because if he doesn't do what I would do, he must be one, right ?

or, I wonder what went into him making the decision ? Melancon's advice ? Hunch ? Physical or mental issues ? Just general dissatisfaction with his play ? That's the stuff that interests me that we seldom get a glimpse of.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Exactly. He didn't rise to the occasion. Had he won, Carbonneau would have considered using him again.
He gave us a shot to win that game. He gave up one bad goal compared to the 2 per game that price gave up until then and then in the game after in this series.

Price was great after being named number 1, good to really good against Boston and terrible in the second round.

He was one of the main factors we lost because he did not play up to his capabilities, end of story.

If he was injured he should have been sat down because he wasn't playing well with the injury in order to justify it.

In the playoffs; team first, coddling your future superstar later.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
He gave us a shot to win that game. He gave up one bad goal compared to the 2 per game that price gave up until then and then in the game after in this series.

Price was great after being named number 1, good to really good against Boston and terrible in the second round.

He was one of the main factors we lost because he did not play up to his capabilities, end of story.

If he was injured he should have been sat down because he wasn't playing well with the injury in order to justify it.

In the playoffs; team first, coddling your future superstar later.
We lost because we could not beat Biron...and our team defence sucked...

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara View Post
We lost because we could not beat Biron...and our team defence sucked...
I think the frustration, at least for me was that it wasn't total breakdown, the type that would see you being out played territorially, just key mistakes that they never got away with.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:10 AM
AD

Is he injured yet..?

At this point, I hope someone in Cancun spikes a volleyball on him and he strains his pinky for a week or two... Just so we can get closure on this injury thing.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Is he injured yet..?

At this point, I hope someone in Cancun spikes a volleyball on him and he strains his pinky for a week or two... Just so we can get closure on this injury thing.
And threads like this can finally die...

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Is he injured yet..?

My wife was just venting a bit because a cabinetmaker she uses always forgets to put closers on the doors. I told her that everyone needs closure these days.

30 years, she hardly even reacts anymore.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If I call some posters idiots I might get an infraction....I dont want that. So is it ok if I find out where they live and hit them with a baseball bat instead? Will I get baned?
Fool!

By the way. If you need a guy to carry bats for you. I'd do it. But people might get jittery if they see a banana walking up to their house late at night.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
just so its clear, Halak hadnt played in a month, not 2 months.

OK.....sorry....he played ONCE in 2 months then!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
The talent level is so close in the league right now that little momentum issues matter a lot. The 7 and 8 teams peaked at exactly the right time. Mtl seemed a little out of sync going in, for a few reasons and they never really got back into a groove. Sometimes it's that simple.

I will say that Carbo surprises me at times with his goalie choices. He tends to go left when I think right. Now if I was even more arrogant, I'd call him an idiot, because if he doesn't do what I would do, he must be one, right ?

or, I wonder what went into him making the decision ? Melancon's advice ? Hunch ? Physical or mental issues ? Just general dissatisfaction with his play ? That's the stuff that interests me that we seldom get a glimpse of.
Well, I don't know what you would have done differently but I personally wish Halak had played more. I do have an easier time second-guessing GM decisions because I think coaching is a moment-by-moment thing.

Which reminds me: The Huet trade made no sense. It's funny because Price and Huet both had their (useless) detractors and fan clubs and management kind of reflected that by choosing one over the other.

But just like the fans didn't have to choose one over the other (Price and Huet were both fine, had their moments and made a good tandem) I fail to see why management was pushed to that kind of decision. Had the Habs played subpar hockey going to the deadline, I could understand getting the 2nd rounder but in one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory?

There are things about Carbonneau and Gainey I do not understand. The party line regarding goalies is one. Refusal to admit that enforcers, toughness and leadership could be added is another.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
AD

I want George Laraque.

Wait.. sorry wrong thread. [random discussion point about Halak vs Price and Price's inability to bend his 4 finger on his right hand]

Old
05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Schooner Guy

Brodeur didn't look himself in the playoffs. Luongo finished the season playing very badly and when the Canucks were eliminated, Luongo's bad play was attributed to fatigue. Turco has been labelled a poor playoff performer for years....he's so far been the best player in the entire playoffs in 2008. We're talking 3 of the best goalies in the NHL.

Our 20 year old goalie won a series in which he looked very good and he lost a series in which he looked very bad. It happens. It's life. He'll be better off for it.

If his career lasts 15 years, he'll have plenty of very good playoff series and he'll have his share of stinkers (it happens to the best). That's life in the NHL. There's no need to be on suicide watch crying that the sky is falling like so many second-guessing armchair GM's who have posted on this thread. Just enjoy your summer and smile about all the positive steps the Habs took this year. We should be one of the NHL's better teams for a number of years.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Price is 20 years old for crying out loud. he'll falter, he'll have stretches of mediocre games, who doesn't? who on this board actually believed Montreal Could go far in the playoffs?

There were many first time Playoff players on this team who were counted on to make significant contributions. So they faltered, its called 'Learning Experience'...all good teams lose, the challenge is to learn from it and excel. This season was a bonus for myself, wining the regular season eastern conference title certainly was not expected. The furthest I saw this team going was the second round. Too much inexperience, look at Pittsburgh...did they go far last year with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney?

Accept this season for what it was, surprising and gratifying. Build on it over the summer.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:39 AM
canadian_man_44

If it's a mental thing, he'll be alright. This guys got to have major mental toughness. I mean, he wears a cowboy hat in Montreal for petes sake.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:48 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Well, I don't know what you would have done differently but I personally wish Halak had played more. I do have an easier time second-guessing GM decisions because I think coaching is a moment-by-moment thing.

Which reminds me: The Huet trade made no sense. It's funny because Price and Huet both had their (useless) detractors and fan clubs and management kind of reflected that by choosing one over the other.

But just like the fans didn't have to choose one over the other (Price and Huet were both fine, had their moments and made a good tandem) I fail to see why management was pushed to that kind of decision. Had the Habs played subpar hockey going to the deadline, I could understand getting the 2nd rounder but in one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory?

There are things about Carbonneau and Gainey I do not understand. The party line regarding goalies is one. Refusal to admit that enforcers, toughness and leadership could be added is another.
i think it had something to do with the trade with Atlanta and Gainey getting screwed in the end. Something like that.

Ill be happy if Price turns into a DiPietro

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:08 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i think it had something to do with the trade with Atlanta and Gainey getting screwed in the end. Something like that.

Ill be happy if Price turns into a DiPietro
A good example is MA Fleury. It took him three-four seasons to become a solid, steady goaltender. Give Price a break. He's only 20 and still has lots to learn at NHL level. His big body won't be enough to succeed. Now he needs to learn how to move it quicker.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Habnot

Quote:

I find myself second guessing Carbo more than Gainey. I'm still not convinced on Carbo. His player management in the playoffs was subpar. He stayed to long with certain players, didn't shake things up when he needed to, and he mismanaged the communication aspect of dealing with a very sticky goalie situation.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:13 AM
anarmandaleb

Ugh... just as I had hope that this thread was going to die... it was resurrected.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:15 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Ugh... just as I had hope that this thread was going to die... it was resurrected.
there's plenty of ways for you to hijack it into something else

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote