HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu's future in Montreal

Old
05-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Noldo

vCash: 500
Koivu's future in Montreal

Saku Koivu was interviewd in Finnish national television on first intermission of Finland - Slovakia game yesterday. Among other things Koivu was asked about his situation with one year remaining in his contract and plans for the future. Koivu said that he has not yet talked about future with management since the season ended only on saturday, but he is expecting to have talks over summer.

Koivu continued that having been in Montreal since 1995, he would definetly like to end his career here, but said that anything could happen.

After direct follow up question, Koivu said that he does not want to end his career after next year.

Practically Koivu said nothing new, but this was first time he has commented the possibility of retirement as far as I know, and overall impression to me was that he definetly has not thought that retiring after his current contract would be an option. Naturally anything can happen, but if management is willing, I would be quite confident that Koivu will stay around for at least couple of more seasons.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 03:47 AM
peperebougon*

I hope he stays a hab till the end...I would not like to see him in another jersey.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:08 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
I hope he stays a hab till the end...I would not like to see him in another jersey.
except of course the Finland jersey

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Saku Koivu was interviewd in Finnish national television on first intermission of Finland - Slovakia game yesterday. Among other things Koivu was asked about his situation with one year remaining in his contract and plans for the future. Koivu said that he has not yet talked about future with management since the season ended only on saturday, but he is expecting to have talks over summer.

Koivu continued that having been in Montreal since 1995, he would definetly like to end his career here, but said that anything could happen.

After direct follow up question, Koivu said that he does not want to end his career after next year.

Practically Koivu said nothing new, but this was first time he has commented the possibility of retirement as far as I know, and overall impression to me was that he definetly has not thought that retiring after his current contract would be an option. Naturally anything can happen, but if management is willing, I would be quite confident that Koivu will stay around for at least couple of more seasons.
I wouldn't take that as any sort of indication as to when he'll retire. Players seldom plan their retirement 2 years in advance, they just play till they can't play no more.

Most of the time, even the players don't know if they're playing their last season or not(just look at Linden). I think we really have to look at how much Saku has slowed down this year and accept the reality that another injury could bring the end of his career sooner rather than later.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:21 AM
Form and Substance

He will be a hab until he retires. I just hope to god there's an extra ring on his finger the day he hangs them up (and I don't mean new laws that protect the rights of polygamists) . It would be such a shame too see him end his career without one.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
I wouldn't take that as any sort of indication as to when he'll retire. Players seldom plan their retirement 2 years in advance, they just play till they can't play no more.

Most of the time, even the players don't know if they're playing their last season or not(just look at Linden). I think we really have to look at how much Saku has slowed down this year and accept the reality that another injury could bring the end of his career sooner rather than later.
I know that such comment is miles from being confirmation that he won't retire. Naturally wear and tear of next season and (God forbids) injuries can affect his opinion.

However, on the bright side, he definetly gave expression that he had not yet even though about retiring (in a positive way) and since I have personally thought that his past injuries would have made it likely that he would have retired after next season, I was positively surprised by his comment.

Naturally, Koivu will be below 35 before his next contract kicks in (and thereby he can retire any time without harming Canadiens), but if he would realisticly expect himself to retire after next season, I doubt he would negotiate new contract this summer.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Evil Ted

This will be the best hockey team hes played on in Montreal next year he will have a different role im sure with his next contract but it would be nice to keep this guy around, alot of players would have gotten frustrated and left a long time ago.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:01 AM
mcphee

Has there ever been a player better at indicating nothing about what he's feeling or thinking than Koivu ? I love the guy, but he's well schooled in in giving the media nothing, unless he wants to.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:10 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Has there ever been a player better at indicating nothing about what he's feeling or thinking than Koivu ? I love the guy, but he's well schooled in in giving the media nothing, unless he wants to.
13 years of Montreal media training...

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:20 AM
CBBRH

Send a message via MSN to CBBRH
Saku said a few weeks ago in a finnish newspaper that he will continue playing for another three to five years and he also said that money isn't the main factor in the negotiations. And also in that interview he made it clear that the number one option for him is to retire as a Hab. Furthermore, he mentioned that he is interested in a management job after his playing career.

CBBRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:30 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo Gonzales View Post
Saku said a few weeks ago in a finnish newspaper that he will continue playing for another three to five years and he also said that money isn't the main factor in the negotiations. And also in that interview he made it clear that the number one option for him is to retire as a Hab. Furthermore, he mentioned that he is interested in a management job after his playing career.
That would be great, Saku is a wise guy.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Saku has been a great Hab, the best of the 90's and ealy 00's, to be sure. Despite his great production in the playoffs his career seems at a pivot-point and he is adapting well to being assigned defensive responsibilites.

It seems a lot of great players face this transition. Adapt and pro-long your career or push harder and harder to be frustrated by not being physically capable to equal past production. Personally I expect Koivu can make that adjustment, he's alwasy shown great character and a will to do what it takes. He'd be a great #3 centre with big and aggressive wingers.

One thing that seems apparent, or maybe I should say still outstanding, we could use some size down the middle to play on the top-6.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Fozz

I expect Koivu to re-sign a 2 year deal after this one is over, win 2 cups as captain of the Habs and retire after that deal is over.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:38 AM
anarmandaleb

You all know I love Koivu more than Natey loves Brisebois. I really hope he retires from playing as a Hab. And then joins management. I think he'll be a really good addition to management. Unless he decides to go manage something in Finland in which case I will cry then move to Finland and stalk him.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Lucius

Quote:

I am pretty sure that by the CBA, we legally cannot talk extension until July 1st.

So no surprise there have been no talks.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:42 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo Gonzales View Post
I'm curious as to which continent he envisions himself working in ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
That would be great, Saku is a wise guy.
I wish he stays in the organisation as well...he's a fairly professional guy and has a good hockey mind.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Iwishihadacup

he will stay, he has seen too many crappy teams when he was with the habs to leave when it starts to be interesting, for Bob, he must stay because he is one of the only two talentuous centers in our system, and we do not know if someone can replace him

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I'd like to see them sign him to a 3 year extension at a reasonable price.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Russeltown

Koivu

Seriously, I wish that Saku Koivu retires as a Montreal Canadiens, and as the Montreal Canadiens Captain. I wish Saku Koivu wins the Stanley Cup, and be at the same time among the first europeans to win the Cup as a captain.

Unfortunately, Koivu is getting older and he must be aware of that. He can be the leader of this team, and being on a third line will not eventually kill him. He will have to pass the torch to younger guys or guys with equal or more talent that were spared by strong illnesses.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
CacaLauncher23

I wish Koivu wins a Cup. He deserves it.

Maybe he'll stay until his 50 if the Habs start "Leafsing".

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I expect Koivu to re-sign a 2 year deal after this one is over, win 2 cups as captain of the Habs and retire after that deal is over.
It'd be so cool to see Saku go out John Elway style

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
You all know I love Koivu more than Natey loves Brisebois. I really hope he retires from playing as a Hab. And then joins management. I think he'll be a really good addition to management. Unless he decides to go manage something in Finland in which case I will cry then move to Finland and stalk him.
More than Natey loves Brisebois? Hum, I seriously doubt that. Nothing is bigger than Nate2k4's love for Brisebois .

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
hanging out with BG...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Fido22

Koivu is Habs, Habs is Koivu.

Koivu should definately retire here, not after next year. He's not done yet.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote