HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Discussion about Sundin today After Maurice firing.

Old
05-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
If Sundin signs with Montreal, then it would be similar to Johnny Damon signing with the NYY. OK, maybe not the same impact but the feeling of betrayal will be there.
It would be many, many times worse than that.

Johnny Damon was not the face of the Red Sox for over a decade of dark times. He was not the captain who persevered for seemingly forever against incredible odds.

It would make Damon look like nothing

(EDIT: But I see your point, because although I'm not a real Red Sox fan and I don't actively follow baseball, they are technically my favorite team; I also like AIDS more than I like the Yankees.)

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Kachino

Send a message via MSN to Kachino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
It would be many, many times worse than that.

Johnny Damon was not the face of the Red Sox for over a decade of dark times. He was not the captain who persevered for seemingly forever against incredible odds.

It would make Damon look like nothing

(EDIT: But I see your point, because although I'm not a real Red Sox fan and I don't actively follow baseball, they are technically my favorite team; I also like AIDS more than I like the Yankees.)
I re-read my post and realized that I should have written "If Sundin signs with Montreal, then it would be similar to Johnny Damon signing with the NYY. OK, maybe not the same impact as Damon joining the NYY but a bigger feeling of betrayal will be there."

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
I re-read my post and realized that I should have written "If Sundin signs with Montreal, then it would be similar to Johnny Damon signing with the NYY. OK, maybe not the same impact as Damon joining the NYY but a bigger feeling of betrayal will be there."
Yeah, Red Sox fans sure hated that. I loved seeing the 'Sox win without Damon, it was great.

But the monetary dynamics are much different in baseball than in hockey, IMO. Baseball's so corrupt that it makes hockey look squeaky clean by comparison, and that's pretty sad, LOL.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
DO NOT MENTION DAMON that trader

so happy he hasnt won **** since leaving and my bosox are defending champs!!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
DO NOT MENTION DAMON that trader

so happy he hasnt won **** since leaving and my bosox are defending champs!!
You're unlucky that anarmandaleb is sleeping right now....

Old
05-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
You're unlucky that anarmandaleb is sleeping right now....
my brain is sleeping right now so it dont matter.
and I gotta wake up at 7:30

8:36 tee time

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:44 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Sundin clutch? How can you gauge that? He has never won a single thing in his entire career. He had an opportunity to prove that by allowing himself to be traded (and help Toronto with 2-3 young players and probably Stamkos), but Mats is all about Mats. Simple as that. The guy isn't even married and he doesn't have a family. Why couldn't he move for 2 months to win a cup? Winning and warrior playoff hockey aren't a part of who the guy is. It's pretty obvious. No thanks.
Wow what a pathetic post. I'm sorry but you lack credibility when you say things like that. How is he not clutch? Have you ever watched him play? Big time goals are his thing.

And sure he could have waived his NTC, but he has earned the right to make such decisions and felt that his team actually had a chance to make it. You're going to scrutinize him for believing in his teammates? Do you have any idea how much MORE respect he probably garnered by NOT waiving that clause? A Captain goes down with his ship, same thing here.

Saying no to a future HOFer is absurd. Especially when he's the EXACT kind of player we need.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Wow what a pathetic post. I'm sorry but you lack credibility when you say things like that. How is he not clutch? Have you ever watched him play? Big time goals are his thing.

And sure he could have waived his NTC, but he has earned the right to make such decisions and felt that his team actually had a chance to make it. You're going to scrutinize him for believing in his teammates? Do you have any idea how much MORE respect he probably garnered by NOT waiving that clause? A Captain goes down with his ship, same thing here.

Saying no to a future HOFer is absurd. Especially when he's the EXACT kind of player we need.
Bah, Sundin doesn't know clutch play! He got the name "Captain Clutch" as a joke, I tells ya!

Old
05-08-2008, 03:11 AM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
No thanks! The guy has what? 1 year left? and never won anything, give the kids even more roles next year and give more ice time to the Kostitsyns, Latendresse, Plekanec, Chipchura etc.
no thanks

put lats in the minors, he is brutal.. plus pretty much everyone is faster than him there... he could work on his speed ...hell him and chips.. make them do laps all practice

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Bah, Sundin doesn't know clutch play! He got the name "Captain Clutch" as a joke, I tells ya!
@ your new avy.

@

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I think Bob will be pursuing Sundin, as a true #1 centre is still discussed as an issue in relation to the Habs on every Sports Talk and Hockey Analysis show, so surely it's crossed his mind. And the bigger reason, by all accounts, Bob made an offer for Sundin at the trade deadline.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
SOLR

Thing is, even if Mats want to remain a Leaf, I'm really not sure the Leafs want anything to do with Mats if they cant use him as a trade asset.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Don't know if it was mentioned, but didn't Sundin already mentioned that he would never signed in Montreal 'cause it wouldn't be fair to Leafs fans. Even if he's pissed at the Leafs management, he wouldn't be pissed at the fans and wouldn't do it, in my opinion.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudethedude66 View Post
So I was listening to some AM station while driving through Toronto today and some host of some show was saying how there is a strong possibility that Sundin could play in Montreal next year. I know I have no links or names...but thats not what Im here for....What I want to know is, does anyone think that it is a posibility?
And for whomever wants to argue about stations or links...I believe the station was 1010 am...not sure...Don't know Toronto stations well

I'd love to see Mats play in Montreal. He is a big centermen who can put up points and he is a great leader.....but we don't really have room for him. We would have to move Plekanec or Koivu to make room for Sundin on the top 2 lines and I don't see either of those things happening.

Sundin will return to the Leafs and continue to miss the playoffs!!! Have fun with that Mats.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Capitano

Some people here need to start thinking like a GM and less like a hab-fan or anti-leaf fan.

Sundin is a fantastic player and yes - a clutch player. Toronto is similar to Montreal with media spotlight, pressure, etc. Sundin has been the captain there for a long time and has handled the media scrutiny relatively well if you ask me. So going to Montreal wouldn't be that much of an adjustment for him.

However, I still maintain that there is no way Sundin goes to the habs, no way. I think (and this is just my opinion) that Sundin is generally a loyal player. He wanted to remain a Leaf, and didn't want to abandon ship even when he could have gone to a contender and had a chance at the cup. He didn't want to go. Some leaf fans hate him for it because he could have helped improve the team, but some fans love him for it because he wanted to stay a Leaf.

I just cannot fathom the hatred that Leaf fans would have for Sundin if he went to the habs. It would be bad enough if he chose to go elsewhere this season, but going to Montreal just wouldn't work.

Can any of you imagine Koivu going to the Leafs if the situations were reversed (if the habs were in decline and Koivu was UFA and didn't waive his no-trade clause and then signed with the Leafs in the off-season).

No way.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I'd love to see Mats play in Montreal. He is a big centermen who can put up points and he is a great leader.....but we don't really have room for him. We would have to move Plekanec or Koivu to make room for Sundin on the top 2 lines and I don't see either of those things happening.

Sundin will return to the Leafs and continue to miss the playoffs!!! Have fun with that Mats.
Why not have 3 strong lines? All 3 can play on the PP and get pretty big minutes. It would give you a very strong 3rd line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
You and I both know that's not going to happen.

I spend a lot of time at both boards, and neither one can assess the other team objectively at all.
Well i think alot of us can.

Sundin has been a major pain the Habs behind for many years, but i'm clued in enough to recognize that he is a major talent and would be a HUGE addition to the Habs if they could somehow sign him this summer.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It's not like Sundin would tell people he wants out or bad mouth the team, but he did hint at going elswhere after the season. I don't think it's as unlikely as some seem to think. Given the mess and new direction in TO, he may want a fresh start for a couple years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why not have 3 strong lines? All 3 can play on the PP and get pretty big minutes. It would give you a very strong 3rd line.

I have no problem with that what-so-ever....the problem is getting Sundin, Koivu and Plekanec to agree with the idea. They would all have their icetime cut because of it and most of that calibre of players want to be on the ice all the time.

You amagine....

Higgins - Sundin - Kovalev
S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Plekanec - Lapierre
Locke/Milroy - Chipchura - Kostopoulos

The 3rd and 4th lines aren't awesome by any means, but they are respectable. The 1st and 2nd lines are great though. You could even put Plekanec between the Kostitsyn brothers and Koivu with Tender and Lapierre. Pleks and the Kostitsyns looked awesome together in the playoffs....there were a couple of times against the Flyers where they simply dominated the play in the Flyers zone and Philly couldn't touch the puck, let along clear the zone.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
CacaLauncher23

Sundin is one of my favourite player. In fact, the only one I like on the Leafs rosters.

Look at the points he put up this year at his age.

Plus he is enormous.

It'd be great to have him in our lineup but somehow I can't imagine him in any other jersey than the Leafs.

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Form and Substance

I hate sundin, but if he'd joined our team I'd soil myself. That's an inverse link I've noticed.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:50 AM
habfan4

I put Mats in the same category as Yzerman and Sakic in that I can't see him signing with another team. However, if Sundin is available and willing it's a no-brainer that you make him an offer.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I put Mats in the same category as Yzerman and Sakic in that I can't see him signing with another team. However, if Sundin is available and willing it's a no-brainer that you make him an offer.
Difference between him and the other two is that he never won a Cup yet and that's not because he didn't want to! Remember Raymond Bourque? A legend who I thought would always stay in Boston. At the end of his career, he was willing to move to a contender. It didn't work during the first playoffs with his new team. Therefore, he decided to stay for another season in which he ultimately won the Cup and retired as a champion. I honestly think the same can happen to Mats Sundin if he's willing to move out of Toronto.

Old
05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Fido22

The Habs could sure use Sundin in the short term, would have been great to have had him these past playoffs.

However, point remains....Habs and Sundin together? That's just wrong.

BTW, I like Beaker's Sundin

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:30 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
So you disagree and it's pathetic? Interesting.

Sundin hasn't won a single thing in his long career. HOFer for sure, but that's based on regular season numbers. Not on cups. You really lose credibility when you let your Sundin-love cloud your judgement.

Clutch is scoring 26 points in 23 games and leading your team to the Stanley Cup like Brad Richards. Clutch is a 2.14 GAA in the playoffs leading your team to the Cup like Cam Ward.

Clutch ISN'T scoring a game winning goal in game 75 of the season to move from 13th to 10th in your conference. The guy never made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Never. Not once. How clutch is that?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote