HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Renney: 5 players from Hartford could compete for a job next year...

Old
05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I don't. He's not a long way off, but baring significant off-season development, he'll spend some more time in Hartford next season.

I agree that he probably has the most upside of anyone in Hartford. And Brooklyn's right, the Rangers have shown great patience with their prospects, and given his age, and the fact that the Ranger are set for centers through at least the end of the year, there's absolutely no reason not to be. He came a long way this season in terms for adapting to the North American game, and, apart from a bit of a slump in December, it was very steady, focused progress... like a development plan was mapped out at the start of the season and he's systematically worked through the the items on the list. Now it's a matter of putting it all together, playing with confidence, and being a difference maker on the team. Because although he spent most of the season centering the second line in Hartford, and got 2nd power play unit time, he wasn't really one of the go-to guys on the team (not that he should be expected to, as a rookie and the youngest player in the league). Next season he'll be looked at to take on an expanded role, play in all situations, and take control of things more when he's on the ice. To dominate, as Brooklyn said, though I don't think he needs to be a PPG player to do that. It's more about attitude and confidence.

While we're on the topic of players who aren't ready... Wiikman isn't ready. If Valiquette were not to be re-signed (I have no doubt he will be) LeNeveu would be first in line to take his spot right now. He's far more polished and mature. Wiikman is very talented, but very raw. He needs to play, not sit on the bench.

Yes, and yes. Ten of his 23 goals came on the power play, and he was third on the team in PP goals behind Parenteau (15) and Hutch (13). And keep in mind the Pack had the second best PP in the AHL. I can't pretend that I remember every one of his goals, but to be totally honest, I can't remember a single one that wasn't scored off either a deflection or rebound from right in front of the net. That's his bread and butter. For what it's worth, I think everyone here underrates him.
he seems to be on of those type of players that is better in the pros than juniors. when he had 48 pts in juniors that was his best in terms of points. he had 46 this year in the AHL.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
The Thomas J.*

Hopefully this is Renney posturing for some type of future trade.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:43 AM
NYR Viper

korpikoski
moore
byers
jessiman
potter
baranka
parenteau(if resigned)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Fletch

I think Sauer's...

looking at more than just part of another season in Hartford - he's got a ways to go. Potter was the best defenseman on the team last season among those under 28 years old. Baranka was his partner and nearly as good, but had bouts with consistency. Those are your two best bets on defense to compete for a position. Can't say if either will make it, but I don't see another under 28 year old (except maybe Pock as a 7th defenseman) making it next season. I had hopes for Taylor, who put in a good defensive season, but he's a big guy who needs to be more physical if he's going to be an NHLer. I just didn't see his physical side enough.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Fletch

Squishy...

the question on Byers becomes can he pllay the type of game he needs to be successful while in Petr Nedved's body? He is decent around the AHL net because he has size to plant himself there and get positioning. But is that size enough for the NHL to play a similar game or is he going to have to adjust? That's been my biggest issue with him and I continuously bring up the Alexander Giroux comparison. Same frame. Uses his body to his advantage, but really can't do that in the NHL because players are stronger and thus he's not as effective, and it's not like we're talking about a skilled speedster with 35-40 AHL goals. We're talking about a kid who relies on his size to get 20 NHL goals. What kind of production does that translate into in the NHL? On the other hand, will he get bigger? I think he's been the same weight for a couple years, so I really do not know.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:43 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the question on Byers becomes can he pllay the type of game he needs to be successful while in Petr Nedved's body? He is decent around the AHL net because he has size to plant himself there and get positioning. But is that size enough for the NHL to play a similar game or is he going to have to adjust? That's been my biggest issue with him and I continuously bring up the Alexander Giroux comparison. Same frame. Uses his body to his advantage, but really can't do that in the NHL because players are stronger and thus he's not as effective, and it's not like we're talking about a skilled speedster with 35-40 AHL goals. We're talking about a kid who relies on his size to get 20 NHL goals. What kind of production does that translate into in the NHL? On the other hand, will he get bigger? I think he's been the same weight for a couple years, so I really do not know.
You can't really trust those listed numbers. He's a big kid and I wouldn't doubt that he's actually around 210-215 now.

He had a good camp this past year. If he has another good camp, I can see him sticking with the team. One of the concensus needs for this team is bigger wingers. Byers fits that need.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

regardless of what the coach might say about Sanguinetti, he is still more talented offensively than any other D we have on our NHL lineup.

with that in mind, here is my list of the 5:
Korpikoski - will replace Shanahan
Anisimov - can replace any of our crappy 4th liners(Hollweg, Betts, Sjostrom)
Byers - can replace another one of our crappy 4th liners(might move up the lines eventually)
Sanguinetti - replaces Rozsival or Mara(whoever leaves)
LeNeveu - could battle Vally for backup job

I'm going with these guys because I think we need size at forward and Korpi, Anisimov and Byers are all big guys. We also need more scoring and Korpi has a good scoring touch. We need guys who can go to the net and thats Byers. Anisimov would just be a great replacement for Betts I think. Sanguinetti is a must for me, we need a clear offensive dman.

My lines would then be:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Korpikoski
Prucha - Drury - Callahan
Byers - Anisimov - Sjostrom
extra: Betts

Staal - Sanguinetti
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - Backman

Lundqvist
LeNevue

we let Shanahan, Straka, Rozsival, Malik, Strudwick, Hollweg go. Vally can go to AHL.

Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 05-08-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:09 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
regardless of what the coach might say about Sanguinetti, he is still more talented offensively than any other D we have on our NHL lineup.

Byers - can replace another one of our crappy 4th liners(might move up the lines eventually)

I'm going with these guys because I think we need size at forward and Korpi, Anisimov and Byers are all big guys. We also need more scoring and Korpi has a good scoring touch. We need guys who can go to the net and thats Byers. Anisimov would just be a great replacement for Betts I think. Sanguinetti is a must for me, we need a clear offensive dman.

My lines would then be:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr

Staal - Sanguinetti
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - Backman

Lundqvist
LeNevue

we let Shanahan, Straka, Rozsival, Malik, Strudwick, Hollweg go. Vally can go to AHL.
I can see how you might want those guys (although NO way Anisimov gets called up to play 4th line in my opinion), but I highly doubt that they're the ones that Renney was thinking of.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:21 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I can see how you might want those guys (although NO way Anisimov gets called up to play 4th line in my opinion), but I highly doubt that they're the ones that Renney was thinking of.
also no way Sanguinetti would start playing on the top d pair right away. Some people need to get realistic about how Sangs is going to start out. He's probably not going to be a top performer right away but will take a year or two in the NHL before he starts to hit is groove.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm with Squishy here.

I'd agree that Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter, Baranka are the closest to being NHL ready.

Peoples expectations about Sangs seem to be driven by the howling need we have for a PP QB.
I agree Moore is one of the most NHL ready, but I'm not convinced he'll be able to do much at the NHL level at this point. At least, based on what I saw of him this year. He looked like a journeyman 4th liner. But...we'll see, he also didn't get a lot of time to acclimate either.

And yes, the calls for Sanguinetti are silly. Staal was one of those rare cases that can jump straight from juniors to the NHL (and who wasn't a top 5 draft pick) and it's very likely that Sanguinetti needs much more time to develop than Staal did. Especially for an offensive defenseman.

I don't know why so many people have jumped on the Sanguinetti bandwagon and expect him to compete directly for a NHL spot this coming season, but I'd be very very surprised if that happened. He needs time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
also no way Sanguinetti would start playing on the top d pair right away. Some people need to get realistic about how Sangs is going to start out. He's probably not going to be a top performer right away but will take a year or two in the NHL before he starts to hit is groove.
This too. I feel like people are placing unrealistic expectations on the kid and if he doesn't make the Rangers next year and then go to win the Calder, then people are going to be upset.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Nich

korpedo
moore

potter
baranka
hutch

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Renney just threw it out there, he's not getting into specifics this early in the game.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Sockosensei

What Renney said is probably half true, half motivational -- keep the guys working hard this summer with an eye toward next season.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:21 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I had to go check to see what the Rangers have him listed at to understand what you were talking about. There is no way that he's only 190 pounds. Because if he's really only 190, Anisimov's gotta be about 170 (he's also listed at 190). As GAGLine suggested, I don't think you can go by those numbers. I'd guess he's at least 210, and it's all muscle. The kid's a horse. His size and strength is not an issue to me.

In terms of frame, I think the comparison to Nedved/Giroux fits Anisimov better. He's tall and extremely lanky (and if his dad is anything to go by, it's genetic). That said, he definitely put on some weight over the course of the season, so I'm interested to see what numbers they list for him next season. But you could tell during Hartford's "shirts off our backs" ceremony at the end of the season that he's still got a lot of upper body work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
This too. I feel like people are placing unrealistic expectations on the kid and if he doesn't make the Rangers next year and then go to win the Calder, then people are going to be upset.
I agree with this completely. And I think Cherepanov is another prospect that people are placing unrealistic expectations on. He's being looked at as a savior by many, and is regularly compared to Ovechkin and Malkin, and those comparisons are just way out of line IMHO.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I don't think Corey Potter should be even looked at before Ivan Baranka. Potter isn't that good. Of course my guesses are contingent on whether P.A. and Hutch resign. If they stay, they're on the list. Otherwise, I'd guess: Korpi, Byers, Moore, Baranka, Jessiman/Bourret. Tough to choose. Anisimov is very close, needs a little more time in Hartford.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
pelts35.com

I would say that LeNeveu is one of them.

I suspect that the organization will want Wiikman to get a lot of starts in Hartford to see if he can have another good season before determining if he is an NHL calibre goaltender.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:32 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

I agree with this completely. And I think Cherepanov is another prospect that people are placing unrealistic expectations on. He's being looked at as a savior by many, and is regularly compared to Ovechkin and Malkin, and those comparisons are just way out of line IMHO.
I agree here with you as well. There is way too much pressure being put on Sangs and cherry. Both need time to deveolop and neither will probably have big impacts on the team their rookie year, but more like their 2nd or third year. People need to have a little patience w/ these kids.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Levitate

I could see Cherepanov having a decent rookie year, but I feel like it'll probably take him a few seasons to really develop as a NHL player.

Sanguinetti I see taking several seasons to get his legs under him and really start making an impact from the blueline. Kind of like Bouwmeester, who needed several years before he started putting up points and being a real threat from the blueline. And while I hope Sanguinetti can score more points than Bouwmeester's 40ish range, I'll be delighted if he's anywhere near as smooth skating and commanding with the puck

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:01 PM
eco's bones

Have to commend Squishy for her game synopses throughout the season. I think she's pegged the 5 closest Hartford players to the NHL. Anisimov may have higher upside than Moore, Korpikoski and Byers but he needs more time to develop. He could have been playing major junior (and not as an overager) last year. I think he has to fill out more and adust more to the North American game--become more of an offensive force. Sauer's knee injury excludes him right off the bat but of all the Hartford d-men he seemed to struggle most last year ending up a -2--the only regular who was a - player.

On Moore--he has an NHL body. He's 6'1 and stocky. He's a good skater. I don't know if the handful of NHL games he played are a good yardstick for judging what his future is going to be. He was tentative at times which is not unusual for a young player in his situation. He plays pwp and pk--center or left wing so he's flexible.

Korpikoski finished very strongly--his numbers progressed from 38 to 50 points. Goals from 13 to 23. He plays in all situations--has lots of speed and better size than most of our wingers. I don't see him as a top two line player for the immediate future but someday he may be a legit 2nd line NHL'er.

Byers would give us more size and agression. Many people thought he would be a bust as a pro after a not very spectacular junior career. I don't think his skating is on a par with either Moore or Korpikoski but he seems to have an idea of where to go to get his goals. Judging his 23 goals by his 142 shots on goal I would guess he has a pretty good short game--hanging around the front of the net ala Adam Graves, Steve Vickers. While I don't think we can count on him to put up Graves, Vickers type numbers--he's more likely to be a 4th liner with 3rd line upside--two 40 some point AHL seasons is not something to sneer at. He has overachieved greatly on my expectations and the fact that he's not afraid at all to drop the gloves is just icing on the cake and he had a very strong 2nd half.

Baranka and Potter both have good size and are more stay at homes than offensive minded d-men. They are aggressive but don't seem to be in the penalty box all the time. Both seem to move the puck well. Baranka is a little younger, more injury prone, but still a little more experienced. It's almost a tossup but I expect at least one of these two to make the team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
I don't think Corey Potter should be even looked at before Ivan Baranka. Potter isn't that good. Of course my guesses are contingent on whether P.A. and Hutch resign. If they stay, they're on the list. Otherwise, I'd guess: Korpi, Byers, Moore, Baranka, Jessiman/Bourret. Tough to choose. Anisimov is very close, needs a little more time in Hartford.
I have to disagree. Potter's +32 in 81 games and 30 points is very good.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I have to disagree. Potter's +32 in 81 games and 30 points is very good.
Do you watch the pack?

Instead of stat surfing, I would listen to squishy and Immonen etc because it's my belief they watch pretty much every game.

If you do watch the pack regularly, then I apologize, but present better facts as to why he's better other than looking up statistics.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
SPG

Quote:

My lines would then be:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr

Staal - Sanguinetti
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - Backman

Lundqvist
LeNevue

It would be ludicrous to rush Sangs and risk crippling his development just because we need a PP QB.

... and Anisimov on the 4th line is almost just as bad of an idea. You don't throw a player in that mold onto the 4th line before he is ready. He might be tall, but he's hardly a "big guy." He needs to add some muscle mass. Kid is only 19 years old (20 later this month) remember.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

My lines would then be:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr

Staal - Sanguinetti
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - Backman

Lundqvist
LeNevue

Oh, so apparently Sanguinetti can just step right in and become 1st pairing defenseman like snapping your fingers?

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I also agree.

I think the Ovechkin and Malkin comparisons as a player are off base.

The comparison in numbers in the RSL is not however. I think that is where teh comparisons come from. That he out scored Ovechkin in the RSL. Not Malkin though.

But i see Cherepanov as more of an Andrei Kostitsyn type of player. I feel that is the closest comparison.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 05-08-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Do you watch the pack?

Instead of stat surfing, I would listen to squishy and Immonen etc because it's my belief they watch pretty much every game.

If you do watch the pack regularly, then I apologize, but present better facts as to why he's better other than looking up statistics.
Even squishy says he can compete for a spot next year... nowhere from anyone's eyes have said Potter is "not that good."

From what i've seen of him, i feel he is solid.